• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Welcome Dr. Emily Zarka - Monsters in History

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
1593501686252.pngEmily Zarka ( a.k.a. Dr. Z ) earned a Doctor of Philosophy in English from Arizona State University, with an emphasis on the Gothic and the British Romantic period. She approaches literature and film through monsters, applying the theory that human history is monster history.

She writes for and hosts for Monstrum, an online series with PBS's Storied channel on YouTube that looks at complex histories and motivations behind some of the world's most famous monsters.

Emily's teaching experience includes literature, composition, film and media, and humanities classes. Currently, she is part of the faculties of both Arizona State University and Mesa Community College.

The show will be recorded Thursday July 2, 2020, between 4 and 6 PM MDT.
Post your questions and comments for discussion below

Last edited:
I'm currently reading "Where the Footprints End" and I'm curious what her take is on modern monster hunters discounting or ignoring some of the high strangeness in many monster encounters. I fully realize this is an attempt to gain traction with academia, but I'm curious how she sees this fitting in with the larger historical narrative around monsters.

I'm currently reading "Where the Footprints End" and I'm curious what her take is on modern monster hunters discounting or ignoring some of the high strangeness in many monster encounters. I fully realize this is an attempt to gain traction with academia, but I'm curious how she sees this fitting in with the larger historical narrative around monsters.
Your question was asked. We touched on some related issues too.

Back