• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Very Odd Insect

hmm. interesting yet disturbing.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

skunkape are you sure it had bioluminescence?

I had posted something and it did not appear - perhaps the government is intervening. Anyway, I was wondering the same thing as pixel - was it glowing, and did you use a flash?

I've never heard of an owlfly, very interesting.

As for the videos, somebody owes me some therapy time. I'll be having bug nightmares for sure now.

I had posted something and it did not appear - perhaps the government is intervening. Anyway, I was wondering the same thing as pixel - was it glowing, and did you use a flash?
I did not use a flash. I thought I saw it light up, just as I snapped the picture, but I wasn't sure. I did do an immediate "Whoa, did that thing just flash at me?" I took it as a warning, but I suppose it is possible that it had reflective scales that caught the sun just right. Either way, it is a really cool, weird bug.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Well I love it!

thanks for posting it.

do i win something for getting the name of the bug?

here is a shot i took of bumble bee feet. i had no idea their feet have pads and claws. not an easy shot without a tripod. note the pollen sticking to him.

Attachments

• bumblebeefeet.jpg
    bumblebeefeet.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 26
My camera has a little led light that it uses for the auto focus or light-metering I think. It is very noticeable indoors, but outdoors not at all. Could the insect have been catching the light from something like that?

My camera has a little led light that it uses for the auto focus or light-metering I think. It is very noticeable indoors, but outdoors not at all. Could the insect have been catching the light from something like that?

good thinking!

Ain't that the bee's knees.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Back