• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFOS: the Research, the Evidence.

You gotta love Jim oberg his arguements are so flexible, heres a perfect example from a thread at ATS.

Some background.

About 4 years ago i was real set on finding out what i was seeing in the sts75 tether footage, so i set about the net to try and find an educated answer, i had a healthy interest in the space program anyway being a moon landing kid.
So ifound a thread well under way on ATS where martin stubbs and oberg were going head to head, jim with his out of focus ice crystal theory, he was then claiming that the ice was from a scheduled waste water dump 6 hours prior.
Also that the ice had risen behind the shuttle, so as to get inbetween the camera and tether which was 100 miles away behind and 50 miles higher, so he was beating the atmospheric drag drum.

I knew he was wrong i joined and produced several nasa reports for him that showed quite categorically he was wrong, however he has the nick-name over there as #Jim i will get back to you later on that Oberg# and steadfastedly held his stance, assessing me as some ufo nut.

Anyway i can be quite abrupt when flanneled or gently waved aside, and very persistent in getting a reply on point, to the point of being rude, this process of breaking his argument piece by piece with nasa acquired documentation, was literally like pulling teeth and can be spread over many pages, i presented our discussion time-line wise in a ever expanding quote, but only the bits of any replies on point, with this method over about 6 weeks, our conversation was distinguishable from the background noise the kids over there make, i broke him, he had to admit that any ice would of sublimated in 10 to 15 mins after the flush, however there was no flush, as it was only scheduled, the FEZ had frozen, and so the flush canceled, i even had to tell him about the extra piping and switcher valve fitted on flight 73 and 75 for the waste water to be switched to the Fez for the FEZ experiments, so he went for other sources of ice from the shuttle, and each time had to admit that the pattern or amount could not have defied physics and risen up above and behind the shuttle, but he is a very very stubborn man, only really accepted the other nasa scientists papers, and other documentation after he knew that my explanation debunked the swarm of UFOs.
My research led me to the conclusion that the out of focus debris was the result of a micro meteor strike of a heating/insulation tile, the propulsive force, shot/scattered the debris above the shuttle, there were 109 micro strikes on that mission, i then lost interest and left.

this is jim 2 years ago, only this time he needs the ice to be infront of the shuttle, this is from a thread i am link mining at ATS, you know the old dog maybe learnt something, the thread is about sts114.

quote.

Your awareness of this issue is commendable. 'Differential drag' effects can be striking over a period of hours, but I don't recall seeing them act as quickly as this video suggests in this case. Typically, ice from a water dump is so much more 'draggy' than the metal Orbiter that it is slowed more by air drag, drops into a lower orbit that is faster (and actually shorter in terms of miles per circuit), and thus begins pulling ahead of -- and below -- the Orbiter. Within an hour the twinkling ice cloud can often be seen preceding the Orbiter into sunset -- I really need to post video of that on youtube sometime.

So the effect is real, and profound, although the time scale doesn't seem to quite fit if we are seeing a real-time video.

This video, by the way, doesn't need 'debunking', it needs 'explaining'. Even for 'space junk' sequences -- and I've seen plenty -- this one is pretty unusual. It's not 'bunk'.

Still has to stretch the truth about drag, which is virtually non existent at orbital height, and no mention of the real culprit gravity, also exaggerates the lifespan wih #upto an hour# because his tentitive theory at this juncture in the thread requires it.

Jim i will get back to you later Oberg, the nasa expert, Never A Straight Answer

I will carry on reading the thread and see where he is going with it..

I am another 9 pages in and jim has shown his hand now, the sts114 footage is ICE CRYSTALS, every speck of light in the whole footage are ice crystals, he was getting real for awhile as this reply shows.

Aside from the object going through a gentle turn as it recedes (based on its growing dimness), what evidence do you have that it accelerates -- in terms of increasing true speed? Sure, it could, due to effluent entrainment, but I don't see any marked increase in true velocity. Please explain.
end quote

He then reveals his stance.

Since my interpretation labels those dots as ice particles from the on-going water dump, we have a major chasm here in interpretation, worth examining in greater detail. How do you determine the distance to that cloud of dots? You say they are 'nowhere near' the shuttle. On what basis?
end quote

So all the light sources in the sts114 footage are ice crystals below the shuttle from an ongoing 2 hour long waste water dump which is still taking place at the time the footage is being shot ,not earth cities lights or stars, and the fast moving UFO/light is also a rogue piece of the same ice field only much closer to the camera.

See how he has just dropped in this little beaut, #How do you determine the distance to that cloud of dots?# and #Sure, it could, due to effluent entrainment,#
No-one has mentioned effluent entrainment so far,jim just dropped it in there as if its part of that discussion at that time, same as the cloud of dots , for the city and star lights.
Makes me want to explode when i see this kind of manipulation.

Specks on video provide no definitive information. It's interesting to speculate and theorize as to what causes them to appear, but that's about all. I personally think close encounter eyewitness reports are more valuable. When we get some better quality video from proven sources then videos will become more valuable as evidence. In the meantime, they seem to be more diversionary than anything else.

Ufology i am still only 30 pages in on that thread the hours have gone into reading links mainly nasa, so i am not going to comment on 114 again for awhile, posting to say theres certain hooks that have me on that one, and until ive ridded myself of them, i will seek answers to my unanswered questions.like with sts75, never did i think that footage was UFOs, but i needed a satisfactory answer, two of the hook that ensnared me to that originally were as below.

They edited in footage of a waste water dump to the flight/mission highlights film/vid on site at nasa when the footage hit youtube, someone recognized this as being from another flights/missions highlights footage [cannot remember the other flights number now].

They NASA doggedly pursued martin through the court system over the footage.

Both those actions intrigued me alittle, as both were easily verifiable and were verified to my satisfaction, ive read enough of what i consider dis-information to really tweek my interest in both 80 and 114.

Despite those original hooks, i still come to the mundane conclusion of micro-meteor strike debris out of focus due to them/it being to close to the camera, and all the strange parabolic arcing wasnt strange at all, as it was purely gravity driven.

It was NASAs behaviour that was strange imo.

The direction my thoughts on sts 114 are going at this point, are small devastatingly fast astral/celestial object, [ and a pretty close call for that missions survival ] that is repelled by the earth somehow, like a magnet repelling another magnet, or opposite electrical charges, but i need to gen up on those subjects to know if thats even possible, as there is no doubt in my mind that it is on a parabolic trajectory

manxman,

You've really looked into these space shuttle videos. Why are they of such interest to you? What is your current view on them?

I think that mainly its an environment most people know little about, but i can read about it without tiring for days on end, as i stated earlier i was a janes weekly man for years, and have always had a healthy interest in new technology.

Basically when james oberg is all over a case, spending hour upon hour in some mickey mouse forum, trying to convince a bunch of kids that theres nothing to see in those vids but ice particles, and use all the deceptive practices he is well known for, i get my interest tweeked, it does not make logical sense to me, and a search of this forum for the name oberg reveals
very interesting results, several here have debated him face to face, and many here are aware of his utter bullshit at times.

Besides theres alot to look and ponder at.
Theres nearly 4 years of on orbit time there, just for the american shuttles alone, martin has several thousand hours of it, he recorded straight from the live downlnk.

Over the last 30years 3months 8days 22hours and 57mins (April 12, 1981 at 0700EDT to July 21, 2011 at 0557 EDT), the five space-worthy orbiters have spent a combined total of 1,332days 01hour and 36mins in space. They have completed 21,152 orbits of Earth covering 548.2 million miles.

.Why are they of such interest to you?

I will answer that this way, i am new/late to this subject, its interesting in its own way, however being late to the game and only having now a limited amount of time to indulge myself,i have realised how big the subject is, so i will liken it to my hunting days, when i went duck shooting, i went to a place i pretty much knew ducks would arrive at come dusk, space seems to me the most logical place to find inexplicable UFOs, and maybe i will one day, i rarely came home without a duck or 3.

Plus the footage cannot be argued as fake etc, what you see is real, even if what it depicts is misconstrued by the viewer.

I think that mainly its an environment most people know little about, but i can read about it without tiring for days on end, as i stated earlier i was a janes weekly man for years, and have always had a healthy interest in new technology.

Basically when james oberg is all over a case, spending hour upon hour in some mickey mouse forum, trying to convince a bunch of kids that theres nothing to see in those vids but ice particles, and use all the deceptive practices he is well known for, i get my interest tweeked, it does not make logical sense to me, and a search of this forum for the name oberg reveals
very interesting results, several here have debated him face to face, and many here are aware of his utter bullshit at times.

Besides theres alot to look and ponder at.
Theres nearly 4 years of on orbit time there, just for the american shuttles alone, martin has several thousand hours of it, he recorded straight from the live downlnk.

Over the last 30years 3months 8days 22hours and 57mins (April 12, 1981 at 0700EDT to July 21, 2011 at 0557 EDT), the five space-worthy orbiters have spent a combined total of 1,332days 01hour and 36mins in space. They have completed 21,152 orbits of Earth covering 548.2 million miles.

.Why are they of such interest to you?

I will answer that this way, i am new/late to this subject, its interesting in its own way, however being late to the game and only having now a limited amount of time to indulge myself,i have realised how big the subject is, so i will liken it to my hunting days, when i went duck shooting, i went to a place i pretty much knew ducks would arrive at come dusk, space seems to me the most logical place to find inexplicable UFOs, and maybe i will one day, i rarely came home without a duck or 3.

Plus the footage cannot be argued as fake etc, what you see is real, even if what it depicts is misconstrued by the viewer.

manxman,

Thanks for those replies ... they're certainly good enough for me and it's great to see someone with so much interest in this aspect of ufology dig into it in such a constructive way. Please keep us posted on your findings!

Manxman and ufology - thank you for the very interesting discussion so far.

I know manxman you claim you are not interested in other videos, but I have one that might be interesting for you - from STS-74 (Atlantis; launch 12 Nov 1995).

There are lots of “UFOs” in this one, but the one object that appears at 6:17 at the lower right bottom of frame seems to be doing something quite unusual – even according to all your theories so far explored.

The object appears and then proceeds diagonally up toward the top left corner of frame in a seeming straight line trajectory (but one must be careful in that assessment as there is also some camera movement “upward” and to the “left” – watch the background stars), and the object is also seeming to recede as it goes, until the 7:04 point in time, when it makes a left turn to then run parallel with the bottom of frame until 7:23 whereupon it makes another left turn to head diagonally down to the bottom left corner of frame …until 8:04, when it seems to halt motion and just hang there for a while ..until 8:18 when it (suddenly) “takes off” again, this time directly downward (and seemingly receding again) to disappear at the limits of resolution...

Now I am not a big fan of the “alien” theory applied to (what in the end usually turns out to be) ice/debris – but some things do need explaining. There are just some objects whose motion does seem rather inexplicable…

…and it does not help that people such as Oberg seem to spend their time debunking (explaining away) rather than properly (using physics and technological specifications) explaining what is going on… in my opinion people like Oberg stupidly feed the conspiracy theorists and nut jobs because their “explanations” are so often patently bunk that people are then naturally forced to ask whether he (and by association NASA) IS really hiding something. And of course they ARE – but (I believe) just not in the sense that they know ETs are flying about up there and don’t want the public to know – just that they don’t really have the answers – and stupidly, they “cover up” (and go all ridiculous and implausible on us) instead of setting out to investigate what is really going on…

in the video above, watch what happens to the light sources from 27 seconds in to 33 seconds. the light sources when out of focus look just like your UFOs in the tether vid and others. a fuzzy circle with a hole in the middle.

Quick reply as i want to watch it a few more times ramjet, first impressions, similar to sts75, only the space-station bags all its waste, including liquids, and it returns with the shuttle, the shuttle has to regularly top them up from their potable water, however most is recycled even the lab/research rats pee is recycled.

Water on the Space Station - NASA Science

This will give an idea just how quick debris falls back to earth, so when oberg et al keep chuntering on about debris following along with the shuttle for hours etc, dont buy any of it, it starts dropping the second it leaves the shuttle, the lower it gets, the further out and down in front f the shuttle it goes, the shuttles auto-pilot fires the RCS several times an hour for minor corrections, which also quickly puts distance between the shuttle and any shuttle derived debris.

Russian cosmonaut Mikhail Tyurin will be adding more junk today as he prepares to make the world's longest golf shot from outside the International Space Station. NASA calculations put the golf ball in orbit for three days before it burns up in the Earth's atmosphere. If it were to hit the space station in that time -- an impossibility, according to experts -- it would do so with equal force to a 22 ton truck traveling at 111 miles per hour.

The shuttle orbits quite abit lower than the ISS, a golf ball sized and weighted piece of debris would only orbit 2 days max, anything smaller or bigger but less weight, example some light-weight foam, would drop quicker as drag effected it more the lower it got, dandruff sized debris and ice really are gone quick, i will see if i can locate the exact nasa risk assessment papers.
Like i said earlier ufology i think 114 had a close shave.

the best evidence i seen for the existance of UFOs it the trent pics...
the photos were anylized every possable way yet it remains...
an object flew in front of the witnesses who took photos...

Pixelsmith, There is no doubt, as the section of above video you indicated (27-33 sec) once again proves, small out of focus objects can appear as “notched doughnuts” – that is fuzzy circles with holes in the centre and a wedge shaped notch (or notches) in their perimeter. So whatever the objects in the STS-75 “tether incident” footage are – they are definitely out of focus... and it could all be written off as small bits of debris, relatively close to the camera and out of focus – except for one thing - what needs to be explained are the various changes in direction…

One can get an idea of some of the direction changes from the following video “analysis” The accompanying music is a bit over the top, so I would recommend watching without the sound… So it is the direction changes that need to be explained (and why some do and some don’t…).

There are only (as far as I know), four potential causal factors: gravity, atmospheric drag, shuttle RCS firings, and camera movement (or perhaps stretching probability to its limit to a fifth, collisions between bits of debris).

vesvehighfolk, I agree McMinnville is a good case. For anyone interested, here is some more information on the McMinnville case (including the original pics)…

The Trent - McMinnville UFO (11 May 1950)
(http://ncas.org/condon/text/case46.htm)
Photo 1. (http://www.debunker.com/images2/Trent1_Full_400dpi.jpg)
Photo 2. (http://www.debunker.com/images2/Trent2_Full_400dpi.jpg)
Photo Analysis:
(http://brumac.8k.com/trent1.html)
(http://brumac.8k.com/trent2.html)
(http://brumac.8k.com/images/trent/TrntCF2ADD84B.gif)

(http://www.nicap.org/trentmac.htm)
(http://www.nicap.org/mcmin3.htm)
(http://www.qtm.net/~geibdan/a1999/jun/t.htm)

Debunker:
(http://www.debunker.com/trent.html)
(http://www.debunker.com/texts/trent1969.html)
(http://www.debunker.com/texts/BSMtrentPJK.html)

Camera type used:
(http://www.butkus.org/chinon/roamer/roamer.htm)

Life Magazine Images:
(http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=3f13efbd68a2d7f8)

Best Evidence Video (#4):

That video [75] is abit misleading ramjet, he does not show the objects full paths just their turns, if you watch the video with this in mind, that the debris was propelled off the shuttle, it heads outwards and upwards, and comes into the field of view, which is pristine in the longer version vids, the tether is over 50 miles higher in orbit, gravity quickly takes its toll and firstly effects those particles with least kenetic energy, causing their curved trajectory to be sharper, and the particles displaced by more force a longer curve, they are all parabolic arcs, and all head in the same direction if fully tracked, thats why he presented his video, in the short format he has.

I quite like some of his longer clips, the shadow on the moon is a good one, for the life of me i cant work it out, i will edit it in shortly, shouldnt be hard to find.

It is here at 8 mins in, theres another sequence earlier, similar thing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/LunaCognita#p/u/20/WlLN_Jcg1pc

Okay manxman, I understand the concept and it is certainly a logical one that fits with much of the evidence. However, I may be missing some of the details of its application in sections of the STS 75 film, so I have a couple of questions for you:

If it is all debris propelled off the shuttle (presumably from a single source), then why do objects appear coming into frame from all points of the compass? Or are you contending that there were multiple sources? Or what? Why also are some objects moving at different velocities than others? I understand that gravity might act to cause a parabolic arc, first slowing, then speeding the objects up as they approach, then crest, the apex of the curve, but somehow that does not seem to explain some of the wide velocity variations we see…

That all being said, I am of the opinion that the STS 75 footage does not show anything much that is extraordinary – just some out of focus debris – it is just that I don’t have the physics of it clear in my head…

Now …I’ll call your “shadow on the moon” and raise you an object… :)

Apollo 10 (Launch 18 May 1969):
(http://history.nasa.gov/ap10fj/index.htm)
(http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/imagery/apollo/as10/a10crew.htm)
Incident: Spherical UFO fly-by (22 May 1969)
Command Service Module "Charlie Brown" as seen from the Lunar Module "Snoopy" during the Apollo 10 Mission.
(http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/gallery/video/apollo/apollo10/html/lunar_activities.html)
About 1/3 of the way through an object appears in the bottom right and speeds straight up across the FOV to disappear top right…
Higher resolution extended version: (http://history.nasa.gov/ap10fj/as10-video-library.htm - Magazine K)

I just located my sts75 file, all the links and pdfs have something in them, and at the time i had read them fully.
But now i do not know without re-reading them all, why i saved them, i will skim read to see why, and answer your last reply fully, meanwhile you can scan this document, i am currently reading the same document for sts 80 hence the short reply.

page 69 to around 75 is what to absord, the rest needs read aswell, it all helps.
Look at the size of some of the mcro-meteor hits, i thought there were 109 strikes on that mission, my dodgy old memory an all that, there was actually only 96, check out all the locations.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19960022783_1996048891.pdf

I am currently on this one, sts80.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19970012100_1997019434.pdf

What i did ramjet with all the papers/reports/individual execute package days, and all other sources, was build a time line of events/activities, because even the americans i talked to by PMs could not get THE full execute package by request, i don't think one exists in the public domain, however using a method of compiling from the experiment data and charts, a much more detailed time line can be built, at this point i will say, that method is very time consuming.

I have these PDFs hard copied, but i will try to link, this is the kind of data i mean.

The STS-75 mission had several primary attitudes defined for the TSS-1R and USMP-3 payloads.
There were a variety of attitudes and Orbiter maneuvers before the tethered satellite deployment
and after the tether separation during the first five days of the mission. The basic attitude flown while
the tethered satellite was being deployed was the +ZLV/-XVV attitude. Table 10 lists some of the
attitudes from STS-75. The as-flown attitude timeline should be consulted for detailed times and attitude
parameters [13].
The attitude flown for the USMP-3 payload during the majority of the last eight days of the
mission (MET 005/00:15 to 013/14:00) was a gravity gradient attitude -XLV/+ZVV (PYR~95,5,0). This
USMP-3 default attitude was chosen to minimize attitude changes, the number of thruster firings, and to
reduce the possibility of Orbiter debris damage. Variations in the microgravity environment due to
Orbiter attitudes are best seen in the OARE data. Fig. 20 is a plot of OARE data for the entire STS-75
mission. Fig. 21 is an example of the quasi-steady environment related to the nominal USMP-3 attitude.
Three different attitudes were flown during processing of the three AADSF samples on MET
days 008, 009, and 010, Table 10. These AADSF attitudes were designed to result in a quasi-steady
vector in line with, against, and transverse to the crystal growth direction. The resulting quasi-steady
environment associated with each of these attitudes is represented in Figs. 22-27. Specific attitudes
flown for MEPHISTO operations are listed in Table 10. Specific thruster firings for the MEPHISTO
experiment are discussed in Section 5.2.
For other discussions on the effects of attitudes and attitude changes on the microgravity environment,
see [10,12].
6. Summary
The microgravity environment of the Space Shuttle Columbia was measured during the STS-75
mission using accelerometers from two different instruments, OARE and SAMS. The OARE provided
USMP-3 investigators with quasi-steady acceleration measurements after about a six hour time lag
dictated by downlink constraints. SAMS data were downlinked in near-real-time in support of the
USMP-3 investigators and recorded on-board for post-mission analysis.
The standard data analysis techniques used to process SAMS and OARE data are discussed.
Using a combination of these techniques, the microgravity environment related to several different
Orbiter, crew, and experiment operations is presented and interpreted. SAMS data are analyzed to
determine the effects of specific crew activities, Reaction Control System jet firings, SPREE experiment
table rotations, a Ku band antenna repositioning, the Flight Control System checkout, Tethered Satellite
System deploy activities, a Waste Collection System compaction, and a fuel cell purge. OARE data are
analyzed for the same SPREE, TSS-1R, WCS, and fuel cell purge operations and for times with different
Orbiter attitudes.

Because the tether footage can be accurately pin-pointed in time, a very detailed list of events and activities can be shown from several hours prior, when the whole mission purpose is taken into account it can be clearly seen why a vibration free pristine clean environment was striven for, also the data shows they achieved that goal, even little things like moderating their exercise regime, to reduce vibration to a minimum for the crystal building experiments, the TOPs camera experiments required a pristine clean view across the cargo bay, to film how the charged water molecules reacted when released from the FEZ experiments as steam, this is why they fitted the extra piping and switcher valve, to re-direct the waste to the FEZ, it was a good decision, as they needed to use the waste water from day 5 onwards until much later in the mission, potable water tank Ds line kept freezing up,due to faulty line heater.

Day 8 Thursday 29/2

This was the day the second footage began to be shot.
Columbia and the Tethered Satellite will pass within about 51 nautical
miles of each other at 11:17 p.m. central time today (approximately
7/08:59 MET), providing the astronauts a chance to glimpse the errant
spacecraft since it separated from the orbiter Sunday night.

Day 9 Friday 1/3

Columbia's astronauts had a clear view of the Tethered Satellite as
the two spacecraft passed within about 46 nautical miles
overnight. The closest approach occurred at 11:17 central time last
night (approximately 7/08:59 MET), and was captured on videotape as
the satellite and its 12-mile tether came into view.

Once i knew all this and everything was still fresh in my mind i knew ice debris was a ludicrous excuse, i am trying hard to show how and why i reached the conclusion i have reached, without leading you, or influencing you, should you take on a thorough analysis of sts75 i will join you, its your fault i opened the file again, and now have it all running around my head.

I will try and track down the online version of the PDF the quote above came from, i am sure once you read it, you will fully realise the importance of it, to the explanation of the tether scenes, i am not avoiding answering your other Qs, just that i am much better at reading and absorbing the info, than i am at expressing what i read.

And for anyone really interested in getting to the bottom of the tether footage, sts 75 along with sts73 were special missions as in, every operation/action carried out was monitored and analyzed as to its effect on the shuttle environment for both those missions, and future missions and experiments, which was lucky for us such detailed data is available.

Just to underline the importance of real time data to this time line.

The STS-75 microgravity environment represented by SAMS and OARE data is comparable to
the environments measured by the instruments on earlier microgravity science missions. The OARE
data compared well with predictions of the quasi-steady environment and, therefore, must be accurately
representing this regime of the environment. OARE measures actual accelerations, so the effects of
venting operations such as water dumps and flash evaporator system activities which are not shown in
predictions can be seen in this data set. The SAMS data from STS-75 show the influence of thruster
firings (transient events) and of crew exercise and Orbiter systems and experiment operations (oscillatory
events). VRCS activity on this mission appear to be somewhat more frequent than on other
microgravity missions with the combined firings of the F5L and F5R jets producing significant acceleration
transients. Orbiter structural modes and crew exercise frequencies are typically the same among
Orbiters, missions, and crew members. The main differences among missions are the specific frequencies
of equipment oscillations
. Better coordination between PIMS and experiment and Orbiter systems
designers and engineers is needed to help identify the sources of all distinct characteristics of the Orbiter
microgravity environment. For STS-75, we have expanded our understanding of the effects of Orbiter
operations on the environment by investigating the Ku band antenna repositioning, WCS compaction,
fuel cell purges, and FCS checkout activities. Of these, only the APU operations during the FCS checkout
appeared to have a significant impact on the microgravity environment.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19970010377_1997013259.pdf

Page 43 is useful for both sts75 and sts114, Fig. 19 Orbiter venting locations.

See i have to admit at one stage i was leaning more to the critter explanation, and NASAs cloak and dagger behavior did nothing to dissuade me from that line of thinking, until i realised different, for me the micro meteor strike, of which there were 5 or 6 a day, and are beyond NASAs control, was impossible for me to discard as the most likely culprit, as already stated, now i will concentrate on your other points.

If you read those documents you will also see why they orbit upside down most of the time [belly-outwards], they know from which direction the most strikes will come from, so they protect the crew compartments and critical systems/components best they can.
The odds are still less than 200/1 of a shuttle destroying strike, the exact figures are available easy by googling shuttle risk assessment.

And again i repeat in my opinion sts114 had a close call with a shuttle destroying sized heavenly object, which doesnt even need to be as big as a golf ball.
You can get every days execute package for 114 here, http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/crew/mission_docs/execute_packages.html

And now i will try and get an exact time the footage was shot from martin, and documentation as to check RCS firing.

This may help you come to terms with how many parabolic arcs a 10 min period can create with debris.

quote.
The clearing t i m e following a water dump is 2 to 10 min depending on
a t t i t u d e .

This solely deals with waste water dumped ice particles.

The decay in that data seems to more closely follow a single exponential decay with a t i m e of less than 5 min.
The PACS data show a more rapid early time decay. However, we f e e l the d e t a i l s of the decay are dependent on
the atmospheric drag velocity vector.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19880016014_1988016014.pdf

Look at the size of some of the mcro-meteor hits, i thought there were 109 strikes on that mission, my dodgy old memory an all that, there was actually only 96, check out all the locations.
That’s all fine except for one minor detail:

For STS-75:

No tile damage from micrometeorites or on-orbit debris have been identified to date.” (p.35 http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19960022783_1996048891.pdf)

For STS-80:

No tile damage from micrometeorites or on-orbit debris was identified during this inspection.” (p.33 http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19970012100_1997019434.pdf)

The “strikes” you reference (96 of them for STS-75 and 93 for STS-80) in each case are all caused during launch and ascent. There seem to be none that have occurred “on-orbit”.

Can you point to anywhere in the above – or any other document – which claims micrometeorite impacts during orbit? I am not at all sure where you actually get the reference that enables you to state “ Look at the size of some of the mcro-meteor hits”. As far as I can tell the ONLY mention of micrometeorites in the documents you reference are to be found in the above quoted statements…

The issue of debris strikes is discussed here by a Senate Committee during the Columbia investigation in 2003 (http://caib.nasa.gov/events/public_hearings/20030514/transcript.html)

” ADMIRAL GEHMAN: The issue of the possibility of the orbiter being hit by space debris is unresolved by the Board at this, time after a lot of work. The Board understands the ability of the United States to track space debris down to a certain size. And the Board understands how the orbiter is maneuvered around the intersection, you can call it conjunction, with space debris down to a certain size. But then micrometeorite debris, the little tiny stuff that we can’t track, we don’t even know is out there, remains an open issue. And we have attempted to get at this issue by a number of very clever ways.

The orbiter has some very, very sensitive accelerometers on board, that the output of which is recorded on board and not telemetried down to earth. It turns out that the recovery of this data recorder, which is a miracle, has allowed us to read out those accelerometers. There are a couple of little jiggles in some of those accelerometers, which suggests that we need to look harder at that. But we cannot rule out a tiny little micrometeorite kind of a strike.

Yet reading the Accelerometer report from STS-75 (that you also referenced) (http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19970010377_1997013259.pdf) there are no such “jiggles” – all variations are accounted for by shuttle or crew activity.

So we have to ask: If a micrometeorite strike was sufficient to knock a substantial amount of debris from the shuttle – so much that it was recorded in a “swarming” cloud in videos of the separated tether, then surely that would have been noted in the accelerometer data and by the crew as well...?

Besides, even if true, it still does not answer the basic question concerning the physics of the direction changes of objects noted in that debris cloud.

manxman, can you provide us with any specific reference to micrometeorite strikes that would support your hypothesis?

Can you also expand on the physics of the direction changes and variations among object velocities for us?

from: STS 75 - The Tether Incident - Proof Of NASA Lies - Page 2

Re: STS 75 - The Tether Incident - Proof Of NASA Lies

Ok . . . I will see what Martin Stubbs has to say about the debunkers; as I said I would like to believe this is the smoking gun we have all hoped for . . . the first time I saw the Tether video I was impressed. However, I just find it hard to believe aliens would be so bold as to be seen in such animated activity in such numbers.

Quoting: George B

Just so you know, Martin died of cancer not long after the documentary was released, but if you watch the doc, it in itself obliterates every single debunker to date. Also, when you see the other space phenomena in the doc, you will be quite amazed, I assure you.

then there is this link that says he is not dead.... hmmm.... Martyn Stubbs : Aliens UFOs

The Tether footage was thoroughly debunked by the UFO Hunters show in an experiment that essentially recreated the event in miniature.
Yes that’s exactly right. For example:

Also, manxman indicated the following article by Byron Green (The Particulate Environment Surrounding the Space Station: Estimates From the PACS Data - http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19880016014_1988016014.pdf) as very informative.

It is possible I might have missed it and that I may have to go through the other documents manxman indicated more carefully, but I am still unsure as to the physics of some of the direction changes observed – not only in the STS-75 video – but in some of the other videos so far referenced.

I am not saying I buy into the ETH in reference to these videos (I actually think “debris” is a plausible explanation for the most part), but as a scientist I do like to have all the facts before me before I reach a final conclusion. It is after all an inevitable question: "But what about the direction changes"?

Back