• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFOs: How would you convince someone in one sentence?

KEROUAC

Skilled Investigator
I don't tend to tell people apart from very close friends about my interest and belief in Ufology. The obvious reason being that as we know the majority of people think the subject is laughable.

So here is my challenge. How would you convince someone of the reality of Ufos or if you like the seriousness of the subject in just one sentence or paragraph?

UFOs ARE real. they are just unidentified. convincing people that alien craft/beings are real is another matter.

You can't do it, it's impossible. And that's the deal.

dB
Ok I agree it's a tall order David and perhaps you can't totally convince anyone on the spot but I am sure you could at least make people have second thoughts about being dissmissive on the subject.
Perhaps I should have worded it that way: How can you put a cosiderable dent in the average person's disbelief in Ufos? I know you can't prove the reality.

Firstly I don't want people to live in ignorance and secondly I want the subject to be treated seriously.

I agree that the subject ought to be taken more seriously than it is.

But, to a certain degree, our beliefs and our knowledge are shaped experientially, so why bother trying to make someone else believe what you believe is real - even if you experienced it? I think we can present people with facts and evidence, but we ought to let them come to their own conclusions. We all have the right to believe what we want to believe.

I don't even tell anyone. I don't talk about them. If my 'badastronomy' friends go on a Bill Nye style rant, I still say nothing. My own 'real world' interest doesn't extend to giving a shit what other people believe about it. I know what I know and I've seen what I've seen.

I was once a vegetarian and whilst not giving a shit that others ate meat, they sure enough cared about why I didn't! It's the same with UFOs, I don't care if others believe or not, but they surely would be interested in arguing why I shouldn't...;)

Best thing I can think of is to tell someone to look into the Allagash abduction case (Probably not everyone agrees but this is my #1 UFO case and is what really convinced me that something which is intelligent is behind some UFO and close encounter claims. This incident doesn't have any scientific evidence going for it but loads of circumstantial evidence that is too much to just be coincidences.). But that would require them to do work after I uttered my sentence so it probably doesn't count. Aside from using your sentence to refer the person to case, study, or publication I can't see how it is at all possible.

So here is my challenge. How would you convince someone of the reality of Ufos or if you like the seriousness of the subject in just one sentence or paragraph?

It takes more than one sentence. A dynamic forum like 'The Paracast' is a starting point to start a thinking process dealing with a paranormal phenomenon concerning 'unidentified flying objects' and the possibility of its external origin.

Convince someone without physical proof and you are the new love Guru :D
normal_the-love-guru-2.jpg

... ps look he has 5 fingers and he can prove it LOL

As Pixelsmith said, UFOs are merely unidentified flying objects. I'd have no problem convincing anyone, in one sentence, that thousands of people see something in the sky that they cannot identify, in any given year. There is no way I could come up with a single sentence to convince anyone that alien spacecraft traverse our skies, because I'm not especially convinced about that one myself.

Anyone who denies UFOs exist is a fool - it's like denying that cars exist. But none of us can say, with any certainty, where such anomalies originate, or what they are. Some may be ET in origin, but we simply don't know, and therefore, can't really convince anyone of anything other than the POSSIBILITY that some of these objects may be from other planets.

Do the Jedi mind-trick. Just wave your hand and, in your best Obi Wan impersonation, say "UFO's are real."
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

How can you put a cosiderable dent in the average person's disbelief in Ufos? I know you can't prove the reality.

KEROUAC, you can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that smoking is bad for one's health. Does that make it any easier to convince a friend to quit smoking? Personally, I'm convinced that it's better to let people make up their own mind.

My default explanation for my interest in UFO is:

We currently do not have any 'convincing' evidence that UFO's are anything but fantasies and misidentifications. Yet, the implications of UFO's being some sort of unknown, highly 'exotic' phenomenon could be major, perhaps challenging our understanding of the laws of physics and reality in general. Therefore, serious investigation of UFO reports is important. UFO's and ufologists should not be made laughing stock "by default".

It's WAY too long :) but it occasionally did put a "tiny scratch", rather than a "considerable dent" ;) in people's disbelief.

My 0.00000002 Eurocents ;)

I don't think I should have to persuade them of the "truth" (whatever that maybe) of UFOs, and I don't think I should expect them to believe either.

Your thoughts mirror my own Stagger. Kinda like the x-files poster, "I want to believe", but at this time I cannot. The implications if they are exotic, are what keep me coming back for more, sadly to be dissapointed most of the time.:frown:

I suppose what I was trying to get at was why do people like you or I get involved in the subject of ufology when most people don't give it a passing thought. I am sure it's not because deep down we think these objects are really our own craft. We don't really know of course but surely the possibility that there is a more exotic explanation is what keeps most of us interested. I don't happen to believe there is a mundane explanation for all of this. How I could convince someone else of that I am not sure. I am interested in what other peoples reasons are being involved in the subject. It might be a particular case or book or maybe an experience For me Timothy Good's Above Top Secret was a major convincer.

So what I probably should have asked was......

What for you is the most compelling piece of information that puts UFO study beyond being a mere folly?

I think people who have know interest in the subject of ufos, will always stick to what they believe in. It will be hard to change someones viewpoint around to actual belief in ufos withount actually ever seen one themselves. Others, will have interest, withount actually seen something themselves, but that is a far as it goes for them.They will not go out of there way to actually looking this topic up. This topic will require an event so provoud that nobody can actually doubt it as a hoax or something else.Then and only then, will you have a change of mindset.

Back