• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ufos and obsessive irrational hate?

saucerwench

Skilled Investigator
I have been into this ufo subject for many years. Every once in awhile, I have the tremendous misfortune of experiencing a ufo-buff person who, even though they are mostly a stranger to me, becoming instantly, frighteningly, extreme-ly, obsessed with deciding that I am their nemisis of this existence. This is a traumatic experience to me, it really scares me. It makes me wonder if the guy (yeah it is ---mostly--- a guy) is demon posessed. By-the-way, I am not hinting about anyone related to Paracast, nor, any --recent-- encounter. Thank God. I am not a practicing religious person, but I truly truly believe in demonic posession. Not to worry, I --also-- understand about mental illnesses such as psychopathology and delusional states of mind.
My question for you Paracasters is, .....'Is it just me, or you too?' Does something about the Ufo and paranormal field draw these types to it? Or is it----ME, instead. Man, that would be bitter 'medicine' to know. I know that I have had unhappy feelings toward a Ufologist now and then, and I have sounded-off about such. But obsessed with hatred for that person forever? NO WAY. I have got better things to focus on. Is the Ufo and paranormal field a possible hazard of spiritual oppression for (what the Jedi of StarWars call ) "The weak-minded?
I am asking these questions out of a serious, not just curious, seeking of responses/reactions from the many various humans who visit this chat forum, I don't wan't to be all alone in my ernest wondering about these concerns. Much Thanks.

I have been into this ufo subject for many years. Every once in awhile, I have the tremendous misfortune of experiencing a ufo-buff person who, even though they are mostly a stranger to me, becoming instantly, frighteningly, extreme-ly, obsessed with deciding that I am their nemisis of this existence. This is a traumatic experience to me, it really scares me. It makes me wonder if the guy (yeah it is ---mostly--- a guy) is demon posessed. I am NOT a practicing religious person, but I truly truly believe in demonic posession. Not to worry, I --also-- understand about mental illnesses such as psychopathology and delusional states of mind.
My question for you Paracasters is, .....'Is it just me, or you too?' Does something about the Ufo and paranormal field draw these types to it? I know that I have had unhappy feelings toward a Ufologist now and then, and I have sounded-off about such. But obsessed with hatred for that person forever? NO WAY. I have got better things to focus on. Is the Ufo and paranormal field a possible hazard of spiritual oppression for (what the Jedi of StarWars call ) "The weak-minded?
I am asking these questions out of a serious, not just curious, seeking of responses/reactions from the many various humans who visit this chat forum, I don't wan't to be all alone in my ernest wondering about these concerns. Much Thanks.

I think it does tend to draw the lonely and the obsessive to an extent. However, I think the majority of people just have an honest "curiosity" about what might be "out there." I think if you look (at least in the U.S.) at our politics and how self rightous and mean spirited wing nuts of both sides get it seems a little like the u.f.o. field. People are so sure there particular way of thinking is the only legitimate way to look at it. However, I think most of us "regular folks" just stand in awe at times under a starry sky or wonder what the nature of spiritual or other kinds of life might be. Or if they might be. I honestly believe that the defenders of the orthadoxy in both religion and science will be the most shaken if we do encounter an "other" than ourselves. I think on some pyhsic or sub conscious level most of us "everyday" walking around folks would be more able to "adapt" and even explore and ask in awe the questions of mankind to an "other" be it a life form or a energy form or a consciousness. (imo) :)

It isn't known as the "Lunatic Fringe" for no reason. I have seen more than my fair share of nutjobs. In fact I stood in line to speak to get Friedman to sign a book once and was subjected to a 10 minute lecture about how the reptilians were secretly controlling the world's financial market. militaries, and mining operations from a mountain resort in France. I shit you not. This dude was absolutely serious. The scariest part is that there was a man standing right next to us nodding his head and muttering agreements. It was a sobering event.

I am not a religious guy. The whole Angel/Demon thing doesn't resonate with me. That said, every culture I am aware of has some sort of spirit myth. Often those myths are populated by both benevolent and adversarial spirits. So, there is certainly a wide and diverse historical precedence for their existence. So, if we were to assume that they exist and need a steady diet of love or fear to munch on then I would assume that any significant departure from the status quo sheep minded acceptance "norm" would have an appeal. Fear or Love of a different flavor perhaps? Kinda like Ritz to the regular saltine. Anyway, it would probably make a good short story.

Anyone I think is possessed? No, just stupid. I've been called a disinfo. agent for questioning questionable cases as an example (the Meier case which is an obvious fraud).

I've also been Insulted by a former host here for not lapping up what a bogus RVer spewed, which just days later I heard he (the RVer) got banned. Strong disagreements and insults is just a norm in human behavior you have to learn to live with.

In adding to what has already been said, there appear to be many people who indulge in modes of behaviour on the internet who would be much more cautious in a more conventional public, social setting. Basically, they feel that they can get away with things that, otherwise, they might well not attempt.

I am greatfull for all of your replies here, they are intelligent, mature, and most insightfull. Stuff I haven't thought of, off hand. Yes, the internet is indeed, a place where cowardly boys can hide behind bullying.

The only time I was the recipient of such attitudes was when I told a coworker that Lloyd Pye didn't have a "starchild" skull, he had a hydrocephalic skull of a child.

I think a great deal of the ire has to do with people wanting to believe that we're not alone in the universe. Anything that seems tangible proof of this shouldn't be questioned, according to the train of thought that some people have. They are quick to label themselves "believers" and "saucer-heads" and accept evidence, no matter how many times it's been proven to be manufactured, faked or hoaxed. It's the people that have lost all sense of objectivity and have immersed themselves into belief...they are the ones that raise my hackles. What they don't realize is that it is they that do a disservice, in my humble opinion, to the entire subject.

Xylo, I have decided that I would never be emotionaly invested in the answer to the question of if ETs in Ufos are visiting here from other planets. But I am often wondering why many people are emotionaly invested in that answer. No trick question here, I am genuinely wondering that. Sometimes it seems to me that some people wish that ETs would land and tell us that they created us and our religions, so we therefore are no longer accountable to any higher purpose. I am very much convinced that if there were no religions, humans would still form us-versus-them factions, about something else, and make wars over them.

I have been into this ufo subject for many years ... My question for you Paracasters is, "Is it just me, or you too?" Does something about the Ufo and paranormal field draw these types to it?

Recently I've been a victim of this game: The victim is drawn into participating in a thread where they are flamed and maligned and cyberbullied. Then when a complaint is made to the admin, it turns out the admins are in on it and the victim is then banned. This recent incident didn't happen here on the Paracast and It didn't happen on the JREF either. In fact nobody on the Paracast has ever treated me so poorly. I've asked for a retraction. In the event that I don't get it, I'll ID the website so people know who it is and can either avoid it or go there and become part of the problem.

Is saucerwinch banned? I see the title under his avatar.

IMO the UFO subject picks up all kinds of people. I would say that it even attracts them. It is simply amazing that after all of these years we have the continuity that exists on this subject. Many other subjects would have fractured into a million pieces.I think it is the mystery that keeps the interest in it for many. OTOH Ufologys is a religion to some people. Life and death seems to hinge on the study of it for them. Then we have the black and white, cut and dried crowd who approach the subject with the utmost in sterility and scientific analysis.

Objectivity fights against disinformation continually. How you approach is tantamount to how you function in it. If you have a passing interest then maybe it is merely a hobby. If you came looking for your alien brothers and life fulfillment then your goals are very different. If you come as a scientist or an analyst you will only be looking at the numbers.

Don't get me started on the subject of demonic possession. I'll just say that there is a dark side to UFOs IMHO. I don't claim to be a clarvoyant nor do I want to become one, but you know how they say they "feel" something in a place? I "feel" the darkness sometimes. Maybe you think I'm a nutjob....so be it. Impressions sometimes lead to truth.

I think there is indeed something about this subject that touches a uniquely fearful and emotional part of the human psyche. Reactions to mention of the ufo phenomenon often seem much out of proportion to the degree to which it directly effects the lives of most people, or even the degree to which it can be objectively shown to exist. This is why, I think, the average person will offer an opinion in response to credible reports of strange things seen in the sky, even if the verdict is "nutty as always". Most people are either drawn to or repelled by the topic.

I tend to keep a distance from anyone who claims to have "the answer" -it's ok to have a theory, but that is all it can be at this time, a theory.

I tend to keep a distance from anyone who claims to have "the answer" -it's ok to have a theory, but that is all it can be at this time, a theory.

My view is that it's OK to think you have the answer provided you can support it with things like rational thought and examples, and be prepared to change your views if someone makes a counterpoint that is even better supported. To me that process advances all our understanding. However instead of discussing the issues rationally, I was expected to simply accept the view of the other participants, stop pointing out the holes in their position, and that if I didn't like it go elsewhere ... then I was banned. Sure I can be a stickler for detail, but the topic was "Terminology", and with that, the devil is always in the details, and words are all we've got to make our case with. If you leave out the details because they don't fit your own views, you end up with a biased opinion and holes in the foundation of your work. This was neither understood nor appreciated. Instead I became the target of flames and slander. I'm still reeling from it.

IMO the UFO subject picks up all kinds of people. I would say that it even attracts them. It is simply amazing that after all of these years we have the continuity that exists on this subject. Many other subjects would have fractured into a million pieces.I think it is the mystery that keeps the interest in it for many. OTOH Ufologys is a religion to some people. Life and death seems to hinge on the study of it for them. Then we have the black and white, cut and dried crowd who approach the subject with the utmost in sterility and scientific analysis.

Objectivity fights against disinformation continually. How you approach is tantamount to how you function in it. If you have a passing interest then maybe it is merely a hobby. If you came looking for your alien brothers and life fulfillment then your goals are very different. If you come as a scientist or an analyst you will only be looking at the numbers.

Don't get me started on the subject of demonic possession. I'll just say that there is a dark side to UFOs IMHO. I don't claim to be a clarvoyant nor do I want to become one, but you know how they say they "feel" something in a place? I "feel" the darkness sometimes. Maybe you think I'm a nutjob....so be it. Impressions sometimes lead to truth.

I think your position that "They Don't Want us to Know" is still perfectly valid, and I agree there is certainly a "dark side" to some aspects of ufolore. I suppose we could even fit the topic of Demnoic Possession in there someplace, I'm not sure how, but I know there was an Anglican priest who was heavy into UFOs and who wrote letters to the military. I'd be interested in knowing how religious people see that stuff connected with the ufolore. We never seem to get around to really examining specific issues because some religious debate always springs up and the next thing I know your battling out with the atheists and then you're gone again. You mention objectivity. I think my last question to you was, "Are you able to look at the Bible objectively at all?" In other words, can we discuss things as though it were simply elements of history and mythology rather than getting mired down by arguments over subjective belief?

Ufology, I apologize if I missed that particular question as I don't particularly remember it. I guess my response to it would be yes. In fact I think this is the way many people approach it and don't have any difficulty in that approach.

I never intended to get into subjective beliefs in the first place although in my case what I believe is closely tied to what I percieve as factual/objective and in some cases the belief is so intrinsic that I include it in my analysis of a thing. I have been made to feel as if I should apologize for having these views on occasion and I have decided that I will keep true to myself and let the chips fall where they may. In my limited time here I have discovered that this site seems to be some kind of an Athiest turf and I seem to be upsetting the chips although not intentionally.

From the little data that I can gather I would say that most of the UFO sightings we have are NOT related to these things and some of it may be the result of some of these things, but I have concluded that they are indeed there. Everyone can draw their own conclusions on the matter.

I enjoy a healthy debate with anyone of any view as long as it is half civilized and omits schoolboy name calling and condescending remarks.I might reply to those but I immediately loose most of my respect for that individual and I can I recognize an agenda when I see one. Many people who disagree with the Bible are well studied in it and they come armed with their take of it but in my observation they omit important key elements of it to get where they are. Some of the discussions so far have been more like a tag team wrestling match, only I didn't have anyone to tag lol.

Ufology I know you don't agree with a lot of things I do agree on but I respect your posts just the same and I have discovered that no matter where someone stands on something they usually always have something I can learn from and you are that sort of guy.

Ufology, I apologize if I missed that particular question as I don't particularly remember it.

No problem, it's easy to get sidetracked.

starise said:
Ufology I know you don't agree with a lot of things I do agree on but I respect your posts just the same and I have discovered that no matter where someone stands on something they usually always have something I can learn from and you are that sort of guy.

Where we diverge in what we agree on is in the context of our beliefs. I see biblical information as a combination of mythology and pseudohistory. Religious folks see it as a symbol of their faith and the foundation upon which their religious beliefs are built. Where our interests intersect is in the information. We've touched on a couple of points with respect to that. If certain Gods were actually ancient aliens, and they are connected to modern UFO aliens, then there is a deep intertwined history that includes examples of these aliens not wanting us to know ( whatever ). From the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge, to the confusion at the Tower of Babel, to the elusive nature of UFOs and the interference with equipment that could capture them on video ... we still don't have sufficient evidence to prove the objective existence of either aliens or God.

... Strong disagreements and insults is just a norm in human behavior you have to learn to live with.

Not entirely accurate. Far more often, people ( at least where I am ) are pretty decent to each other and strive to work out disagreements. Certainly disagreements and insults happen, but they are the exception rather than the norm and aren't something we should have to learn to live with, but to see as challenges to be resolved to our mutual benefit; and insults ( apart from being cathartic ) are only pointless and provocative, if not a form of psychological bullying. The world can be a better place for those who choose to make it that way instead of resigning themselves to the lowest common denominator.

Back