• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFOlogy Family Tree: Any Such Animal?

Sentry

Paranormal Adept
When I renewed my interest in UFOs a few years ago, I kinda entered through the side door and mostly concentrated on the Blue Book era and cases up to about 1980. As a result, there are big holes in my familiarity with some areas. I was wondering if there was a visual aid something like a family tree of UFOlogy, something that would trace how one researcher was related to another by organization or by common beliefs. Adamski begat Williamson etc.

Anything like this out there yet?

Below is an obligatory visual aid as an example, a band organization chart of rockers "UFO."
UFO-2.jpg

I was wondering if there was a visual aid something like a family tree of UFOlogy

Don't know, but this sounds like a great idea ! I once downloaded freeware for making flowcharts with the intention of charting all possible hypotheses we can propose about UFOs and how they might interrelate. I made some progress, but lost interest along the way.

Boomerang, the hypothesis chart sounds great. The toughest part in any project like this is how finely to differentiate branches. The chart you started might be the best way to approach the kind of thing I'm looking for. The UFOlogist version might be far harder, now that I think about it more- maybe the names related to the theories should be moveable labels, as many prominent folks shifted positions over the years.

I love the chart up above and would love to see something like this made for the other UFO team. BEK at the Virtually Strange Network used to have posted a really exceptional collection of researchers and who was in the good books, who was in the grey basket and who was a charlatan. It was a well organized list but i can not find that page on his site anymore. I think that parts of the site are starting to surrender to internet decay.

Re: the UFO Hypothesis chart - trainedobserver posted that other list Boomerang elsewhere: and once again i've lost sight of which thread it was on - oh well, i think that the UFO Family tree sounds like something that we could crowd source collectively right here on the forum, or of course it also sounds like a great project for Sentry to take on for Blue Blurry Lines. I like the idea of them flowing out of similar ideas spaces and who begat who, who switched sides to the ETH and then dismissed it etc.

I could not find a chart of researchers but i did find this nice timeline:
ku-xlarge.jpg

here's another chart - also related:A Schematic Chart of Ufology. William Smith. | MAGONIA

Ok, i finally found the chart of what the UFO could be and what its purpose might be as posted by @trainedobserver in the Spirituality, UFO's and the Heaven's Gate Cult thread:

UFOs are either ...*
  • Material objects, and are either …
    • Artificial, and are either …
      • Made by human beings ….
        • On the earth …
          • At the present time--anthropogenic hypothesis.
          • In the far future--time travel hypothesis.
        • Or somewhere else--intra-terrestrial hypothesis.
      • Or made by nonhuman beings …
        • On the earth--cryptoterrestrial hypothesis.
        • Or somewhere else--extraterrestrial hypothesis.
    • Or natural, and are either …
      • Living things--zoological hypothesis.
      • Nonliving natural phenomena--geophysical hypothesis.
  • Or apparitions, and are either …
    • Objectively real, and are either...
      • Best understood via Christian theology--demonic hypothesis.
      • Or best understood via alternative faiths--ascended masters hypothesis.
      • Or best understood outside either option--ultra-terrestrial hypothesis.
    • Or only subjectively real, and are either …
    • Produced by the nervous system--neurological hypothesis.
    • Or produced by perceptual and psychological factors--null hypothesis.
*Table 2, pg 151, The UFO Phenomena: Fact, Fantasy, and Disinformation. John Micheal Greer, 2009.

UFOs purposes are either …*
  • Exploration for ...
    • Exploitation of resources.
    • Colonization.
    • Cultural evangelism.
      • Altruistic motivation--ascended masters hypothesis.
      • Non-altruistic motivation--imperialist hypothesis.
  • Clandestine Implementation or Monitoring of ...
    • Ongoing scientific program.
    • Ongoing commercial program for ...
      • Development of a product.
      • Tourism--human zoo hypothesis.
      • Espionage.
    • Ongoing military program for ...
      • Development of weapons or social/mind control mechanisms.
      • Espionage.
  • None, they are purposeless
*RP 2013

An attempt at posting a segment of the preliminary flowchart as a jpeg using a screen capture app. The flowchart app uses a format with which I am not familiar. Hopefully, the chart will be readable here. Feel free to use anything in or about it you might find useful. I had also originally intended to reference printed material and citations to the chart numbering system.

UFO FLOWCHART-CR-1.jpg

"The UFO Sightings Set" computer model I2 looks like it was based off this fanciful version of the Cash-Landrum UFO. The image below was clipped from a nice color poster of various UFO models, but I'm striking out locating it again. Anyone recognize it?

UA21.jpg

"The UFO Sightings Set" computer model I2 looks like it was based off this fanciful version of the Cash-Landrum UFO. The image below was clipped from a nice color poster of various UFO models, but I'm striking out locating it again. Anyone recognize it?

UA21.jpg

Not an actual sighting as such, but i was struck by the partial resemblance to this one

shado_ufo_7-a.jpg

Back