• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Two captured ghosts

And the winning bid was $2800????? GENE! I think I see a way to support the Paracast. Get some bottles and some tap water! Hurry!

And the winning bid was $2800????? GENE! I think I see a way to support the Paracast. Get some bottles and some tap water! Hurry!

lol, I heard about that. I need to use my exorcist skills to "capture" some ghosts to help pay for college. I can't believe they went for that much! I'd much rather spend my $2,800 for a giant tv or toward my vacation... Not for a couple little vials of water.

lol, I heard about that. I need to use my exorcist skills to "capture" some ghosts to help pay for college. I can't believe they went for that much! I'd much rather spend my $2,800 for a giant tv or toward my vacation... Not for a couple little vials of water.

Marketing and advertising circles have been busy lately, discussing a somewhat new form of publicity called Transmedia Storytelling. It uses contemporary internet media technology to empower a very ancient idea: that everything that has a story is more interesting, and therefore valuable, than what doesn't.

Made-up stories work too. If you guys are into wine, you might know a Chilean wine called Casillero del Diablo. Legend has it that the wine cellar where the bottles were stored during the aging process was being repeatedly robbed, with several bottles disappearing every time. The cellar's owner, then, decided to spread a rumor that the cellar was haunted by the devil himself (hence the name). The burglars never returned, and the Casillero del Diablo wines are a successful export product to this day.

I think what happens in the case of the bottles (and, in a more elaborate fashion, the Dibbuk Box) is a similar phenomenon. Ordinary objects with extraordinary stories being sold for extraordinary prices.

Can anyone say "fraud?"

Well, I would love to cash in on this and tell some crazy stories to sell some of my lame items that I don't want anymore for an extraordinarily high price. From now on, all of my art work is for sale and totally haunted. I'll figure out my story details later.

lol, its probably things like this that make me a bad person. That and when I get the urge to bop babies in the soft spot.... or at least joke about it. Mwahahahaha

Did you all notice that it is a New Zealand dollars? So it didn't sell for $2800 US. It sold at $2800 NZ. A visit to the conversion calculator tells us that the US selling price was a much more reasonable $1956. An absolute bargain.

Before I posted the above link, I was considering, jumping out of my bedroom window, returning inside and doing it again, and again, for an hour or so, then returing back to the webpage to see if I imagined it.

:)

Did you all notice that it is a New Zealand dollars? So it didn't sell for $2800 US. It sold at $2800 NZ. A visit to the conversion calculator tells us that the US selling price was a much more reasonable $1956. An absolute bargain.

It works the opposite for me. In Brazilian currency it's about R$ 3.700. I could pay all my current credit card debt and there would be money left. :p

Back