• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

TV Ghost Shows? Real or BS???

I think it reasonable to expect that the paranormal shows, due more to time constraints filming HAVE to exaggerate some things cos it is plainly unreasonable to just go out and necessarily capture what is known to be rare phenomena!
So what are the programme directors/makers to do? To keep things even a little interesting they have no option but to edit in a certain way and to ramp up any events, no matter how small.

They really are stuck in a hard place, the makers (in the TAPS style). As said above, the shows that re-create cases from first-hand witness interviews, give us something not preaching to be real or fake, just like testimony in court - you choose to believe it or not.

I've seen some shows I thought were pretty good in UFO hunters and Chasing UFOs. Not many but some were pretty good IMO.

I think it reasonable to expect that the paranormal shows, due more to time constraints filming HAVE to exaggerate some things cos it is plainly unreasonable to just go out and necessarily capture what is known to be rare phenomena!

In the first seasons of Ghost Hunters they would go through at least one, sometimes two investigations (which would be the whole show), in which they would find no evidence of paranormal activity at all. There was no exaggeration and TAPS members seemed genuinely interested in disseminating between real and perceived paranormal activity. It is a rare phenomenon, but by nature that's the truth of what it is, too, and it shouldn't be exaggerated, I think. But that's just me, I suppose. Those first 2 or 3 seasons where the best. They'd not sold out yet and a few times they told things how they were.

Apparently one way to tell if the shows are legit is if all they consist of are after fact recaps because all the camera batteries inexplicably went dead and/or the memory chips became corrupted.

Just to remember the "good old times" of TV programmes that had at least some amount of scientific research and information value, here is an Australian documentary from the 80s about hauntings which I found quite interesting. It has a Poltergeist case I had never even heard of but which seems to have been quite known in Australia, and an interview with a policeman who investigated it. That's in part 4, if you want to skip ahead.

OK, there was a lot of nonsense on TV too back then, but still...

I've watched a couple of episodes of Paranormal witness.
So far they have been more entertaining than other paranormal shows.
It's supposedly based on true witness accounts.

Being an investigator I have investigated a few of the places Ghost Adventures has (Pioneer Saloon, Goodsprings, NV & Amargosa Hotel & Opera House, Amargosa, CA) and I've had experiences at both. I do remember GA not really finding anything at Amargosa. I've seen what looked like a shadow dog run from one side of a hallway to the other side there. As soon as I saw it I ran down the hallway towards it and there was nothing there. The only way it could have gotten out of there would have been to go right past me. This is still vivid in my mind 3 years later. At the Pioneer Saloon I had the Pot-Belly stove open up on it's own after I closed and latched the door. I do enjoy the shows, not for the faked evidence but for the historical aspect of seeing places I may never get to see in Person. As far as Bobby Mackey's is concerned it doesn't sound like a place I need to go to. Better safe than sorry on that one.

Chas

Back