• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Time Traveller Caught on 1928 Charlie Chaplin Film?

Yes I agree thats the most plausable explanation.

Some folks are wound way to tight! :) It's just a fun little piece of "movie history" to talk about for a minute and have fun with. I don't think it's gonna cause a "rash" of people being institutionalized over a film clip and talking about a cell phone. :) Of course it's not a cell phone. Everybody knows a "transistor radio" when they see one. :p By the way "live" I like your avatar. Where is the pic from?

Charlie Chaplin's time traveler

is she talking on a cell phone or is she just a crazy old lady talking to her hand?

Have to forgive me. I'm "old" these days. Most of my music if from the 70's and early 80's. :) But, I love the expression on that pic. She has "character" and just seems to "know" somthing. Man, I tell ya it was just yesterday that I was cruising around to Foghat doing "Slow Ride" and then 'bam" Man, the years go by fast. :)

Have to forgive me. I'm "old" these days. Most of my music if from the 70's and early 80's. :) But, I love the expression on that pic. She has "character" and just seems to "know" somthing. Man, I tell ya it was just yesterday that I was cruising around to Foghat doing "Slow Ride" and then 'bam" Man, the years go by fast. :)

Oh the Woman in my signature.

She's an English Actress called Gina Mckee.

She's in that film "In the Loop" if youve never heard of her.

She's got that slight resemblence to "Emma Peel" in the old Avengers series. Maybe, that's why I like her. She reminds me of "Ms. Peel." Hope I spelled it right cause I didn't "google" first. :)

well that does not explain why she is talking. There is no one around her and no one is talking to her. As for a position with arthritis. Please I have RA and that is not a position I would walk around with. It would be uncomfortable. As far as whom or who, can't ever seem to get that correct, she is talking to without cell towers, we don't know what future technology holds. In the future we could be talking not on radio waves but something else. We might be able to call from across the universe. People 100 years ago could not for see IPADS. In the mid 70's when my ex was in the Navy he was in data processing and they put computers on the aircraft carriers. He would try and explain to me about this whole room filled with machines that did payroll and then flight data. I could not visualize it. Even when he took me there to see it I could not see how that worked. So to try and understand something that is created in 200 years is impossible. Time traveler, maybe? Why not? I hope so. That says we are gonna be around for a while. Honestly, if I could time travel I would......wouldn't you? I'm a huge Dr Who fan and I think it is great because it thinks outside the box, no pun intended! It stimulates our imagination.

So there's no Bluetooth in the future? Damn. I'm not sure I want to go on living...

Well maybe it is just very multifunctional.....like phones are now, internet, texting, games, video, pics yadayadayada but this one also transports you to different time zones so you don't have to have a blue police box to maneuver :cool:.

I've been using an old Simca, but it's getting kind of tiresome going back to the 60s for parts. I keep getting distracted, forgetting what I'm there for, and wandering off only to wake up in some strange place with a hell of a headache. Nobody ever tries to steal the Simca, at least.

I live in a place where lots of homeless people spend the winter. I see some of them walking around, talking to themselves. Hmmm. Never wondered about them till now.

I guess she was on AT&T and got a death grip with her iPhone 4 LOL. I have no idea what kind of device it could be...it is odd...

Even Michio on the same page :) http://bigthink.com/ideas/24747

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

One thing just acquired to me - if she was holding an ear trumpet why she was covering it with her palm? It doesn't make any sense - the device wouldn't work at all if you cover it with your hand, there is no way to collect sound waves to amplify it.

Is he joking? There's nothing there.

No literally, I mean there's nothing there. The old lady isn't holding anything, she just has her hand up in a position typical of someone with arthritis. At the tail end of the shot, just as the scene begins to transition away you can see she's moving her empty hand away.

The harsh, black shadows from the stark lighting and poor quality of the film creates the illusion of an object being held. The position of the arm raised is only suggestive of a cel phone because that's what we associate that posture with NOW. It is at best a very lame optical illusion.

Time traveller? Not even close. Come on people, we have more important things to discuss here. Leave this crap for the Weekly World News crowd.

I'd have to say that there is an optical illusion of her holding something in her hand absolutely. We don't see any object at all. In fact the way that her knuckles are bent, she wouldn't really be holding the phone in such a way that one would to talk on it. At least in my opinion.

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention is that it could be...a cigarette case. Not that anyone would be talking into one, but that would fit the size and shape profile very well.
golddecocigar.jpg

10381690.jpg

Back