• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Universe-where did it come from?

Decker

Administrator
Staff member
Our universe may have emerged from a black hole in a higher-dimensional universe

Our universe may have emerged from a black hole in a higher-dimensional universe | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Prepare to have your mind blown. According to a new mathematical model of the cosmos, it's possible that our entire universe is nothing more than a three-dimensional "mirage" created by a black hole in a much larger four-dimensional universe, reports Phys.org.
It may sound like a trippy theory, but the Perimeter Institute researchers who thought it up insist that the idea is grounded in sound mathematics and, more importantly, that it's testable. Even more intriguing is that this new model seems to "solve" many of the cosmological puzzles that plague our conventional theories.

Currently the leading theory about the origin of the universe is the Big Bang, but this theory entails that our universe emerged from a singularity, an unfathomable place where the laws of physics break down.

"Cosmology's greatest challenge is understanding the big bang itself," writes Niayesh Afshordi, Robert Mann and Razieh Pourhasan, the three Perimeter Institute researchers working on the new theory.

"For all physicists know, dragons could have come flying out of the singularity," added Afshordi, in an interview with Nature.

Afshordi's comment was tongue-and-cheek, of course, but it points out a latent absurdity at the heart of the Big Bang theory. Namely, the Big Bang is an idea that, at worst, is fundamentally self-defeating: it explains the universe via an unexplainable event. And virtually anything can follow from an unexplainable event.

According to the researchers' newly proposed theory, however, our universe was never inside a singularity. Rather, it arose outside the event horizon of a black hole — a black hole from another, higher-dimensional universe. It was thus protected from the singularity.
Though it's a difficult concept to wrap the mind around, this new idea is just one level up from our current understanding of how black holes operate. In our three-dimensional universe, black holes have two-dimensional event horizons; that is, they are surrounded by a two-dimensional boundary that marks the "point of no return" for any object plummeting toward the black hole's center.
In a theoretical four-dimensional universe, however, black holes would instead possess three-dimensional event horizons. So the researchers' new theory suggests that our three-dimensional universe is nothing more than a "mirage" caused by a star collapsing into a black hole in such a four-dimensional universe.

Sure, it sounds fanciful, but it's also mathematically plausible. The researchers used the tools of holography to show that the Big Bang, as we currently understand it, could be a warped cosmic mirage. They likened coming to terms with their new theory to Plato's allegory of the cave, which tells of prisoners in a cave fooled into believing that reality is nothing more than the shadows flickering on the wall.

"Their shackles have prevented them from perceiving the true world, a realm with one additional dimension," wrote the researchers. "Plato's prisoners didn't understand the powers behind the sun, just as we don't understand the four-dimensional bulk universe. But at least they knew where to look for answers."

Decker

Prepare to have your mind blown ...

We don't need to know any math at all to imagine that what we perceive to be our realm of space and time was brought into existence by some external mechanism that in the right context would qualify as another universe. In fact I suspect that is exactly the case ( and I'm far from being a math wizard ) ;) .

For the last thirty years anyone who questioned the Big Bang Theory was ridiculed as a moron, so I will stick with the Big Bang until they start ridiculing people for not believing this new one, thank you very much.

For the last thirty years anyone who questioned the Big Bang Theory was ridiculed as a moron, so I will stick with the Big Bang until they start ridiculing people for not believing this new one, thank you very much.
I never could grasp the possibility that everything [appears infinitely expanding now] came from an infinitesimally small source that maybe an electron microscope could see it -though that would not be possible.

So, essentially, everything came from nothing? Wink. That seems to be like a Zen Koan! It might enlighten me, but it is bullsheeit about creating the Universe. Imo. I'm a proud moron for never understanding or believing in the Big Bang. :D

Aye,
Believe 'everything' in existence, came from nothing in a millisecond, and you are a Scientist,
Suspect that 'intelligent' life from elsewhere in the universe has visited earth, and you are a Retard.

What a brilliant observation! :)

Decker

I have no idea who "they" are in this case, but "they" are the morons here. Science is based on questioning theories and putting them to the test to see what breaks.

The big bang is especially idiotic to stake anything on. If you look at what the theory is based on, you quickly realize that it's nothing more than a hasty effort to discredit creationism. Saying it's on "shaky ground" is a massive understatement.

The whole notion that we understand anything about space is foolish, it's conjecture based on quesswork. We have no idea how even our solar system actually works, and these people expect me to believe they know how the *universe* works? LOL

Science is based on questioning theories and putting them to the test to see what breaks.

HERESY!

How DARE you question "Science". Those crusty old notions of falsifiability and method no long apply.

big-bang-theory-wheaton-scream-sheldon.jpg

It's a Brave New World. You will believe whatever you're told is 97% popular, because that's how we do it nowadays. :)

I have no idea who "they" are in this case, but "they" are the morons here. Science is based on questioning theories and putting them to the test to see what breaks.

The big bang is especially idiotic to stake anything on. If you look at what the theory is based on, you quickly realize that it's nothing more than a hasty effort to discredit creationism. Saying it's on "shaky ground" is a massive understatement.

The whole notion that we understand anything about space is foolish, it's conjecture based on quesswork. We have no idea how even our solar system actually works, and these people expect me to believe they know how the *universe* works? LOL

A lot of generalization there that depending on what you mean by "We have no idea how [emphasis mine] even our solar system actually works" I may not agree with at all.

I never could grasp the possibility that everything [appears infinitely expanding now] came from an infinitesimally small source that maybe an electron microscope could see it -though that would not be possible.

So, essentially, everything came from nothing? Wink. That seems to be like a Zen Koan! It might enlighten me, but it is bullsheeit about creating the Universe. Imo. I'm a proud moron for never understanding or believing in the Big Bang. :D

I can imagine one way that it's all possible and perfectly logical for everything to come from nothing, and it's also why I favor the idea that what we perceive to be our objective external reality is in fact a generated construct set in motion by some vastly powerful computational engine.

I can imagine one way that it's all possible and perfectly logical for everything to come from nothing, and it's also why I favor the idea that what we perceive to be our objective external reality is in fact a generated construct set in motion by some vastly powerful computational engine.
Hopefully the code is good, cause I'd hate to experience'r a cosmic crash and reboot or just a solid freeze and no cntrl-alt-del. :D

Hopefully the code is good, cause I'd hate to see a cosmic crash and reboot or just a solid freeze and no cntrl-alt-del. :D

Of course if the system crashed and rebooted or froze, we'd be none the wiser. In our timeline, the system could freeze for a thousand years, and when it unfroze it would be like no time had passed at all for us.

A lot of generalization there that depending on what you mean by "We have no idea how [emphasis mine] even our solar system actually works" I may not agree with at all.

By that I mean that sure, we know how stuff rotates around the sun and basic jazz we can observe, but the formation of the planets, why certain planets are the way they are, their tilts etc, it's all varying degrees of educated guessing.

By that I mean that sure, we know how stuff rotates around the sun and basic jazz we can observe, but the formation of the planets, why certain planets are the way they are, their tilts etc, it's all varying degrees of educated guessing.

So if I were to say that it's not guessing at all, that is unless you consider math to be "guessing". For example, consider Kepler's Laws e.g. :

e23e800b9c04ae4e7007c54c9f3c2c84.png

Would you still call that "guessing" ? I wouldn't. I'd say it's a far cry from guessing, even "educated guessing". The math used is so accurate that we can send space probes to other planets, or calculate where a space probe will be years in advance so that the space probe can take advantage of the planet's gravity to accelerate it. Check out this article: Gravity assist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Video - Rosetta Space Probe - 12 Years Through Space

This is not fiction! It's happening even as you read this.
Despite the fact that it's pure logic and science, it's still mind blowingingly awesome :cool:.

Last edited:
I don't see how that relates to what I said, but ok.
Right, let's continue: I wasn't able to add the other videos because they did a system upgrade right in the middle of my edit. So the first part was about how knowing the workings of solar systems is far from being guesswork. Here's a video that shows how stellar and planetary formation happened". There is a lot more science that covers how we know these things. Although we don't know the tiny details, we still know with very high confidence from scientific study ( not guesswork ), how the Sun and our planet came into being:

Formation of Solar System With a Focus on Earth

Last edited:
Those details you call tiny? Yeah, not so tiny. More like huge gaping holes that people like to gloss over. Also, scientific study? Our frame of reference is less than a blink of an eye in stellar terms, what we have observed thus far is a meaningless amount of data in a meaningless amount of time. It's easy to "say with confidence" that the room is empty when all you have is a candle if you're standing in a massive hall. Just because it's the best idea we've come up with means little on that scale.

My ultimate point is that we really don't know nearly enough to make such statements.

I'm not even suggesting that I have an idea about any of this, because I don't, and I most certainly don't think a "god" had anything to do with.

Back