• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Ultimate UFO Poll: Real, Fake, Spaceships or What?

What Do You Think UFOs Really Are?

• Extraterrestrial Travelers

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Interdimensional Travelers

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Time Travelers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earth-based Secret Weapons

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Just Ordinary Stuff

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I Have No Idea!

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • The First Five Options Together

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Cryptoterrestrials (Civilization Coexisting with Ours)

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
I'm going to go with the last one, and the second to last one. If I had to guess from what I know right now, its all of them plus or minus all or any of them. But thats kind of 'I don't know' in a few more words.

It was hard but I voted that most were secret aircraft and the rest were still just unidentified. I still really can't completely believe they are alien spacecraft, although I really believe there is a possiblity of life on other planets.

LOL!!!
I chose all of the above, even though it's all just we Dragon Kin...demons...aliens...whatever.
Humans are cattle.
The rapture will just be us harvesting the crop...we've done it many times before...that's why there are so many out of place artifacts...we plow the fields after the harvest, then we drop off "seed" humans and animals with good genes to grow another crop...we give them mythologies...they give us "sacrifices and burnt offerings".
Life is good!

Hell R0X
Sh9l0m

I dealt with a case where the person involved broke the paralysis and kicked one of the greys. The greys freaked out and rewound time according to the individual. He experienced going backward in time like rewinding a video. Seems crazy, yes, but who knows....

A.LeClair said:
I dealt with a case where the person involved broke the paralysis and kicked one of the greys. The greys freaked out and rewound time according to the individual. He experienced going backward in time like rewinding a video. Seems crazy, yes, but who knows....

This will probably throw off the votes for current users (because you can't vote again), but for future users who want to participate, I added one more option.

Why time travelers? My top 3 reasons. (There are more)

1) A good reason to NOT make contact. Everyone's seen Back to the Future. Remember what happened when Tannen stole the Sport's Almanac?
If you could travel back in time, you would and you would only observe. If you could travel to another world with intelligent life, you would, and you would make contact.

2) Grays and their reported hive like behavior. I've spun various insects in a centrifuge at 1500 plus G's. (I work in a lab) After the ride they crawl out and stroll across the counter as if nothing happened. The average Joe passes out at what, 5 G's? At 1500 G's your cells are going to separate from your plasma, among other, more gruesome things. Certainly if we haven't self-destructed in say, a million years, humans could genetically engineer an intelligent, humanoid-like insect capable of surviving the 3500 mph ride with the 90 degree turns and the instant stops and starts. Since these creatures are reported to communicate telepathically, why then can't the humans in the year 1,000,000 utilize them as mental puppets.

3) Inconsistency in observed flying objects. Either we're being visited by an astounding number of different planetary et's or they all drive different saucers just we all drive different cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles and the like. A more plausible explanation might be the time traveler theory. Say we are being visited by our great (to the exponential power of X) grandchildren then isn't it logical to assume that we are not being visited by a particular historical period but rather by every generation from that one that discovered time travel to pretty much infinity. Just think of how many types of flying craft we have put in the air since 1903. The Spirit of St. Louis bears little resemblance to a Black Hawk, for example. Imagine the variety of time traveling craft that could be launched over the span of a few million years. You'd rarely see the same design in the sky, and we don't. Reports run the gamut from flame driven propulsions to the classic shiny saucer to objects that morph and merge to objects that appear to be composed of energy to those that might well be hybrid organism-mechanical craft. Sounds like development stages to me.

In the end it might just be more likely that the barrier of time is conquered while the barrier of space remains inpenetrable.

personally i have no idea! but i would be let down if either of the other options were true. for instance, though the ET hypothesis sounds probable, it fails to explain the totally nonsensical behavior of ufos in some cases. And also the whole thing with the greys sound suspect!

i also have doubts about the cryptoterrestrial hypothesis because i cannot understand as to how they would have eventually survived this long! Also Evolution provides no evidence whatsoever for such a life form. But we can argue that probably they did not evolve here at all! But in that case we still have a problem as to where they might have come from on the first place.

Extra dimensional theories have been popular for some time and these days in particular, thanx to string theory, which proposes a 11D universe. 10 Space and 1 Time! It essentially states that the other dimensions are so curled up in tiny sizes that we can't recognize them! There are other versions of the theory, especially one theory that i like was proposed by Randall/Sundrum that gave the idea about a 5 D universe with a 4th dimension which is infinite. This paper was the most cited paper in Physics for more than 5 years straight until last year! The reason why this paper is interesting is because there are experimental consequences, whcih might be possible to test when the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, Geneva turns on by the end of this year! This will be proof positive of the existence of large dimensions. However it wont prove string theory, because to really prove string theory experimentally, you would have to work with very high energies which is not possible by current standards whatsoever! If such extra dimensional theories do get confirmed by experiments, they would still not explain the UFO phenomenon as far as sourcing is concerned! Because only gravity can traverse between the dimensions and can arrive here from another dimension. But fundamental particles cannot! They are simply jailed in the dimension where they originated! So Gravity alone can traverse! So it still does not explain credible cases of ufo sightings where ppl have witnessed them to incredible detail so as to identify it being metallic etc.

Hence, i tend to think of ufos as some kinda manisfestations brought to life by a certain yet unexplained form of our consciousness! i will stop right here i think! :D

To me, the only possible answer is "I don't know". Anyone who tells you that they do know for sure what UFOs are isn't being honest with themselves, or you - what they mean to say is that they believe X or Y is what UFOs are, but the truly unidentified cases remain a mystery, with many possible explanations.

As for time travel, I doubt it. Travel through space is simply travel through something we can already travel through. Yes, the distances are vast, and yes, it would take tremendous technological advances, but there's no reason to think we couldn't do it someday, perhaps even within a hundred years at the rate of exponential development we are currently showing - perhaps not us as biological entities, but some for of AI. Time travel, on the other hand, would be a kind of travel that has never been done before, and while it may be theoretically possible (and scientists are divided on this), it is definitely beyond our realm of knowledge, now and (forgive the pun) for the forseeable future.

Paul

Rick, I found it significant that I also didn't vote, and had the EXACT SAME NUMBERS as you did on your scale. It's very interesting that our views are so close to identical when put up on the board like that.

I'd bet, tho, that if we sat down and discussed specific incidents and events, we'd have disagreements, maybe some of them strong ones.

It makes me wonder if reducing belief systems to sets of data and numbers generally has that effect--that once you remove the specifics, the commonalities are more likely to agree than disagree.

As Paul wrote, the only sane and intelligent answer should be "I have no idea." I did one of these polls in Nov of 2007.
I asked "What causes UFO reports," NOT what UFOs "really are." The semantic difference was important to me. The winner with 47%, was "Some the above." I was proud of the readers!

I was torn between answering with "the first five" and "I have no idea." I answered "I have no idea" because, really, it is all conjecture and speculation. I don't know what they are, nor where they originate. I know that the phenomenon is real, and that some hypotheses seem to fit some of the time, yet none of the various hypotheses seem to fit all of the time.

So in all truth, I must answer "I have no idea" even though I do have bias towards 4 of the various hypotheses: ExtraTerrestrial Travelers, Interdimensional travelers, Cryptoterrestrial Travelers and Earth Based Weapons.

I voted Interdimensional Travelers. The reason for this choice is that whatever the phenomena is they don't seem to be bound by the physics we know. Hoovering with little or no sound, shape shifting, attaining tremendous speeds in seconds, appearing and disappearing etc. seem to me to suggest the interdimensional possibility to be most likely. Buuuut when it gets right down to it, they could be all the above and I have an open mind to the other possibilities.

This might not be the best way to scientifically go about researching something that is not identified. To propose a unified hypothesis over a domain of events that are marked by the mere fact they are unexplained may just generate hypothetical propositions that are contradictory or meaningless at best.

Lets try a little exercise

Define "paranormal" as the set of all events that defy human collective understanding // I could be more precise with the phrase "human collective understanding" but for brevity I choose to leave it as formulated for now

Then to propose a hypothesis that explains "paranormal" one would have to account for the variety of ways defiance of human understanding would evolve to the same species of event. But this begs the question: what if the causes are different and unrelated?

In general, one has to narrow down the field of human observations in order to propose a hypotheses--merely tagging them "paranormal" or "unexplained" will not attract any hypothesis or explanation that makes any sense to human reason or understanding.

I voted Interdimensional Travelers. The reason for this choice is that whatever the phenomena is they don't seem to be bound by the physics we know. Hoovering with little or no sound, shape shifting, attaining tremendous speeds in seconds, appearing and disappearing etc. seem to me to suggest the interdimensional possibility to be most likely.

Some of the more unusual apparitions could be just holographic projections. IMO one should establish the reality of "other dimensions" before proposing that as an explanation.

Some of the more unusual apparitions could be just holographic projections. IMO one should establish the reality of "other dimensions" before proposing that as an explanation.

Holographic projections are certainly one possible explanation for unusual apparitions, darn tricksters. As far as other dimensions? I think there are other dimensions, other realities beyond our scope of understanding at this point. Yes, this is hard to prove, but it's still interesting trying to understand paranormal phenomena, if they exists :)

Holographic projections are certainly one possible explanation for unusual apparitions, darn tricksters. As far as other dimensions? I think there are other dimensions, other realities beyond our scope of understanding at this point.

Maybe but a plethora of exoplanets definitely exist. :)

Holographic projections are certainly one possible explanation for unusual apparitions, darn tricksters. As far as other dimensions? I think there are other dimensions, other realities beyond our scope of understanding at this point. Yes, this is hard to prove, but it's still interesting trying to understand paranormal phenomena, if they exists :)

Yes, holographic projections are certainly a possibility. But the concept of other dimensions is something that isn't really understood by those who make the suggestion. By this I don't mean that "dimensions" are beyond our understanding. I mean that what the word itself is meant to convey is a concept that most people think has something to do with some other location outside our environment, when in actualilty, the logic of the "dimensional" construct does noit allow for that possibility.

j.r.

Back