• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Suburbs: Is America Accidentally Self-Organizing Into Labor Camps?

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[It's tough to read the writing on the wall with so many trembling (mostly overweight) pink tushies sticking up out of the sand, blocking the view, quaking in the breeze of malaise, waiting for the smack of the jack boot. Kinda reminds me of the ironically- cliche' opening line of "For What It's Worth," by Steven Stills/Buffalo Springfield—"There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear. There's a man w/ a gun over there, telling me I've got to beware... —chris ]

Article HERE:

by Alex Pietrowski for Waking Times

Growing up in Eastern Europe, my parents and grandparents, as well as teachers and church figures, made sure that all youth visited the sites of what remains of the concentration camps of World War II. We also saw the many graphic visual accounts of these camps presented in numerous museums. It was horrifying, but both part of the terrible history, and part of the education of my nation, Poland.
The impact it had on my upbringing was profound, and quite naturally I developed a keen paranoia about repeating history in any small resemblance of this sort of institutionalized, incomprehensible terror. My family suffered through this, and have done their best afterwards to warn us.

Seeing the labor camps, ghettoes and concentration camps of my nation has permanently altered the way I look at human organization. Now, in the United States I find myself noticing little, yet creeping similarities between the way life was organized under totalitarian militarism and the peculiar ways of the self-organizing structure of modern urban and suburban America.

While modern suburbs certainly are not wartime labor camps in any direct terms, our modern civilian lives are already physically resembling the organization of prison camps. In softer, less coercive ways we are naturally dividing and cordoning ourselves off from each other, forming suburban blocks and neighborhood units. Our custom, very comfortable and well-stocked homes resemble luxury cells that we confine ourselves to, growing ever suspicious of even our neighbors. In many American neighborhoods you can walk around for an hour and never see another human being outdoors and not in a car.

Through a mass indoctrination into a very comfortable and distracting social and political paradigm, the majority of us find ourselves working all the time, eating de-natured foods, frightened of authority, scared to ask big questions, eager to fit into some group, yet so divisive that we’d break familial ties over perceived political differences. We’ve been programmed with a phony notion of success and disoriented by a shock doctrine delivered by a lying media that prioritizes American life into fear first, then sensationalism. We’ve already moved ourselves into manageable suburban camps, inwardly focused on scrapping for bits of a dying currency in a dying economy, while turning a blind eye to endless war abroad, and while the police at home up-arm themselves with tanks and drones. Weird.

Increasingly, suburban towns are coming under the control of micro-bureaucracies, neighborhood associations, and Homeowner’s Associations (HOAs). There seems to also be a rise in the over-zealousness of municipal code enforcement in recent years.

An uncle of mine looked up one day from his front porch to see an armed man in the front yard. Packing a holstered sidearm, this unexpected city employee also had a ruler and was measuring a blade of grass in my uncle’s yard to determine if it violated city ordinance. After years of harassment, letters, time sucked, energy wasted, and tax money burned, the city finally dropped the $2000 fine they had issued him, when in court, my uncle asked the city prosecutor the bold question, ‘what exactly is the city’s definition of ‘a weed?’ They did not have an answer.

HOAs create rules, codes and regulations for homeowners, voted upon by those few who actually participate, enforced by power of contract, and backed up oddly by municipal governments and their criminal justice departments. Infractions of code are punishable by fine, property invasions, prosecution, eviction, forfeiture, arrest, and so on, depending on your personal limit for this sort of thing. It is ruled by force and humiliation, and, like camp guards, eager to enforce unbendable rules, some of your neighbors play out political control fantasies on the boards of these organizations. Something as benign as deciding to paint your front door red, (or some other unapproved color), can introduce into life a world of stress, cost, and interference by the masters of the neighborhood.

HOAs are certainly not mandatory, which makes them all the more concerning, because either people seem to prefer this sort of punitive-based micro-management in their lives or they don’t care. Not a good sign, however you look at it.

In some areas of the nation, such as McKinney, Texas, municipal governments have undergone impressive technical integrations with local and federal law enforcement agencies, and have even installed centrally controlled public announcement towers to broadcast ‘emergency’ information and alarms. These towers, located in neighborhoods, around schools, and located throughout the town are rather startling if you happen to be taking a nap in your home on a lazy Saturday afternoon, as they broadcast alarm tones and messages from a command center, at very high decibels, over the tops of all the houses. The city put them in whether you voted for it, protested against it, or begged for it.
headsinthesand.jpg

History is comparably cyclic in many ways and I think we may be headed for a downward cycle.

Governments are a good example of that. Human nature is very predictable.

We seem doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

The problem with this article is that it is speaking primarily about an affluent cohort whose paranoia purchased a lifestyle of conformity. These faults have nothing whatsoever in common with concentration camps. That type of comparison is highly distasteful. While America has encouraged a certain kind of docility in the masses, it certainly has nothing to do with genocide unless you are talking about the history of foreign policy, or more germane to the point, the history of Indiginous peoples.

I would think that a totalitarian government would much rather have its population packed into high density cities, e.g., reference the high rise monoliths of communist Moscow, rather than spread across a sprawling suburban landscape. As for HOA's, they are considered by many a necessary evil now. Why? Because people invest their life savings (meager as it may be) into their home, only to often see its value diminished by a neighbor who seems to be an extra from HEE HAW (with trash strewed across the front yard and weeds everywhere). An HOA exists in theory to maintain the property values of its designated area by enforcing standard rules of home upkeep. At times, HOA's do go overboard by enforcing an inane conformity ("No, you can not put a blue pot in your window. Only earth tone pots are allowed". THIS is a real letter I received from our HOA). So HOA's arose because of the breakdown in community, and the rugged individualism that triumphs above common good, in the case of keeping your home and front yard clean and presentable. But the author's supposition that all of this is a dark foreboding of totalitarianism seems pretty weak to me. Look at a urban area the size of Los Angeles. Can you imagine the combined police and military power that would be required to control the primarily suburban sprawl of Southern California? It boggles the mind! I doubt there are enough drones in existence to patrol just this 1 major USA city. Consequently, I think the preferred method of control is much less direct. It is the dumbing down of Americans and the constant propaganda of the mainstream media. I believe that methods of control are extremely sophisticated now, and so brutal force is seldom required except on an individual basis.

Back