• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Roswell Slides Have Been Leaked Online

Well, we now know that there was indeed hacking going on.
And we know that Ross Evans enjoyed the product that was hacked, the name of the scientist the team contacted. Seems odd that if Ross were hacked himself he would disregard that act and instead hone in on what was hacked. Redfern didn't.

And we know that Ross Evans enjoyed the product that was hacked, the name of the scientist the team contacted. Seems odd that if Ross were hacked himself he would disregard that act and instead hone in on what was hacked. Redfern didn't.

It's getting weird. Lance said the name was already out there though. And when I Googled the name an address and phone number popped up so it's not like you have to search long and hard for such. I wonder how long it would take to catch the hacker?

Redfern also indicated at the end of the text I quoted here yesterday that, no matter what happens with the slides, the investigation of the hacking will go on into the future. Looks like he knows what's going on in that department.

It's getting weird. Lance said the name was already out there though. And when I Googled the name an address and phone number popped up so it's not like you have to search long and hard for such. I wonder how long it would take to catch the hacker?

Maybe he was blind-copied by the hacker, as Boy suggested others were. Whoever and whatever, it looks like the names of all involved will come out eventually, a very good thing.

Ooops, KR has now taken down Bragalia's post and the pursuant comments. He offers the following explanation, which entirely avoids reference to the hacking, the subsequent harassment of witnesses, and the potential resulting loss of testimony. These were the primary issues raised by Bragalia. Why are these issues dismissed as "side issues"? If KR was threatened by nuisance lawsuits from the people involved, why not just say so? Anyone in this field could anticipate and understand the need to censor the post and comments in that case.

"Saturday, February 14, 2015

Removal of a Post

Blogger's Note: I will confess that I didn't read this as closely as I should have and then spending something more than an hour attempting to be able to post to this blog, I believe this is more trouble than it is worth. Yes, I believe that we should learn all we can about the Roswell Slides and I also understand the attempts by some to protect the witnesses. I know that most of us would merely attempt to verify the information, especially when it has the potential to be explosive. But we are also dealing with private citizens who don't deserve an onslaught of telephone calls, some of which could get nasty.

Still, I understand the desire to verify the information. Sometimes things get changed from one investigator to the next, not as a result of deception, but misunderstanding. A case in point would be Thomas Dubose who seemed to tell two versions of the events in General Ramey's office, but one of those researchers was attempting to push a narrow point of view on a man who was 90 years old. Truth got lost in all that turmoil.

The real point here is that this turned nasty way too fast. There seemed to be little in the way of civil discourse and for that reason, I took it down. For those who desire information about the slides, let's see if we can't get something that deals with that specifically rather than some of the side issues.

But one thing that I want to make clear. Once those who hold the slides decided to make a public announcement about their existence and to provide some information about them, they should have expected all of us out here to want more specific information. They hold the cards, but they also opened the door. They demand patience but it is too late for that. If they don't like the tone of the discourse, they have the power to change it."

"Too late for patience"? Are we dealing with adults here?

Far worse is the implication that the dirty tricks and interference with witnesses were the fault of the researchers working on this project for three years.

If this field is finished, it's obvious why.

To me, this story ( and the reactions to it) seem to be unfolding like a footnote out of George Hansen's The Trickster and the Paranormal.

Does this resonate with anyone?

To me, this story ( and the reactions to it) seem to be unfolding like a footnote out of George Hansen's The Trickster and the Paranormal.

Does this resonate with anyone?
People like to trick themselves all the time. And we're seeing a lot of self-delusion in this case. That's what happens when the magic trick you planned for so long backfires. Even the apologists for the illusionists can't get their story straight.

Check please! I'm done.

I was not that big of a contributor anyway. My only observation of this entire field is that if anyone thinks the government is still waging a war of disinformation needs to have their head examined. The "government" does nothing but sit back and marvel over how the "experts" and "researchers" do their job for them. The "government" couldn't write this any better. All they have to do is toss in a random denial every once in a while just to keep us guessing. But it is over. And it is embarrassing for those of us who honestly think something strange is going on here. Something strange is going on it seems. And it stinks to high heaven.

I am sure someone has already expressed similar thoughts. If so, please accept my apology.

Best wishes.

from KR's comments page today:

blank.gif
KRandle said...

I didn't say I let the cat out of the bag, but clearly the cat is out. It all began in Feb 2013 when Nick Redfern learned about the slides. At that point the bag was opened and a few months later the cat escaped. There has been two years of posting about that here and over at Rich Reynolds UFO Conjectures blog.

I've been wondering how all this vituperative chatter about the slides began. KR suggests but does not say that it was Redfern who brought the slides research into public discussion. Does anyone remember in more detail how and where the public 'discussion' began? Who told Redfern about the slides? And what did he do with this information?

I think it's important to find out the history here because the main complaint {and self-justification} among the ufo chattering class seems to have been that Carey and Schmitt have been frustrating them for years with bits and pieces of tantalizing information. The ugliness and destructiveness of the resulting years of blogging and commenting about this subject might never have happened if someone other than Carey and Schmitt had not brought 'discussion' about their research into public discourse before C and S were ready to present it. But KR apparently believes that Carey and Schmitt initiated the public discussion, writing the following yesterday to justify his taking down Anthony Bragalia's post:

"But one thing that I want to make clear. Once those who hold the slides decided to make a public announcement about their existence and to provide some information about them, they should have expected all of us out here to want more specific information. They hold the cards, but they also opened the door. They demand patience but it is too late for that. If they don't like the tone of the discourse, they have the power to change it."

I might find that point of view to be reasonable -- and just -- if someone can provide evidence of who it was that actually "opened the bag" and released the cat. If Carey and Schmitt merely responded to subsequent questions from the chattering class, they cannot reasonably be said to have set out to tantalize their 'colleagues' in ufo research and therefore to be responsible for the vicious and often libelous interactions that have ensued on the internet.

Does anyone here remember how this all went down?

Is KR misleading people with his recent comments? This commentator at KR's site wrote today in response to KR:

Rusty Lingenfelter said...
Ahh... Now that I get it, good for you Kevin. If they aren't smart enough to stop this "inch at a time" approach that they seem intent to continue until May, good on you for not aiding and abetting.

The question is, was this "inch at a time approach" forced on Carey and Schmitt by gossipers in the chattering class going public before C and S were ready and willing to do so?

Last edited:
This whole leaky scenario is a tawdry tempest in a tarnished teapot.... IMO, of course...:rolleyes:

Lots of intelligent and well-informed people disagree, of course, with the view that nothing significant happened at Roswell. For their benefit (and especially in fairness to Carey and Schmitt and their three years' investment in the slides research) the question I ask needs to be answered.

from KR's comments page today:

blank.gif

I've been wondering how all this vituperative chatter about the slides began. KR suggests but does not say that it was Redfern who brought the slides research into public discussion. Does anyone remember in more detail how and where the public 'discussion' began? Who told Redfern about the slides? And what did he do with this information?

I think it's important to find out the history here because the main complaint {and self-justification} among the ufo chattering class seems to have been that Carey and Schmitt have been frustrating them for years with bits and pieces of tantalizing information. The ugliness and destructiveness of the resulting years of blogging and commenting about this subject might never have happened if someone other than Carey and Schmitt had not brought 'discussion' about their research into public discourse before C and S were ready to present it. But KR apparently believes that Carey and Schmitt initiated the public discussion, writing the following yesterday to justify his taking down Anthony Bragalia's post:

"But one thing that I want to make clear. Once those who hold the slides decided to make a public announcement about their existence and to provide some information about them, they should have expected all of us out here to want more specific information. They hold the cards, but they also opened the door. They demand patience but it is too late for that. If they don't like the tone of the discourse, they have the power to change it."

I might find that point of view to be reasonable -- and just -- if someone can provide evidence of who it was that actually "opened the bag" and released the cat. If Carey and Schmitt merely responded to subsequent questions from the chattering class, they cannot reasonably be said to have set out to tantalize their 'colleagues' in ufo research and therefore to be responsible for the vicious and often libelous interactions that have ensued on the internet.

Does anyone here remember how this all went down?

Is KR misleading people with his recent comments? This commentator at KR's site wrote today in response to KR:

The question is, was this "inch at a time approach" forced on Carey and Schmitt by gossipers in the chattering class going public before C and S were ready and willing to do so?

Carey has talked about how they are working on a "smoking gun" for a few years now in nearly every single interview he has given. If anything, it was Carey who aroused everyone's curiosity as to what he was talking about.

Randle has edited and re-posted Bragalia's text of yesterday:

Sunday, February 15, 2015
The Roswell Slides - An Update by Tony Bragalia

(Blogger's Note: This is a version of the posting yesterday. I had removed it for two reasons. One, the information about the hacking seemed to be irrelevant and accused certain people with it. That was inappropriate, I believed. Second, the comments section had turned so toxic that the discussion turned into a private war and was not appropriate. I now warn all that any comments that slide into name calling, unfounded allegations, and personal attacks will be removed. Keep the conversation civil and we'll all have no trouble. Deviate and the comment is gone.
There is a second problem that I have not been able to resolve and frankly, I don't want to spend the time to do it now. I cannot post the pictures. My solution is to send this to Frank Warren at UFO Chronicles along with the illustrations so that all can see them. Since there has been quite a bit of discussion about this, I believe that we all need to see the illustrations though one of them has been well published and the other shows the form that the slide was in before it was manipulated by others.)

THE ROSWELL ALIEN SLIDES AND THE TRUTH
BY
ANTHONY BRAGALIA

The announcement that slides dating from 1947 found to have belonged to lawyer Hilda Ray and her husband Bernerd Ray (a top oil exploration geologist working in NM and TX during that time) have caused what can only be described as an internet sensation. Awareness of the slides existence was heightened very recently by the fact that individuals have taken a “screen grab” of one of the slides that appeared in a documentary preview by one Adam Dew, entitled “Kodachrome,” and attempted to enlarge and enhance it.

Since then, opinions have been proffered and amateur “analysis” has been conducted. Verdicts on just what the slides show have been rendered, often with impassioned, mean-spirited response and heated accusations. Inflammatory remarks, name-calling and near-libelous allegations have been made by people who have not been privy to a clear version of the slide nor seen the other existing slide at all- and without the benefit of review of the professional, scientific study that has been conducted on the them. And this negative, knee-jerk reaction to the slides existence began far earlier, even before the release of any image at all!

The truth of the matter could not be more different from what the noisy naysayers maintain…

WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING AT?

If, as the saying goes, a picture is worth 1000 words, this attempted enhancement gives only 250 of them. The fact is this: this is a video screen grab from a computer monitor –it is a picture of a picture of a picture- which has been taken at a distance of a slide in its frame. It is not a photographic print made from the slide, nor does it show the slide’s projected image on a screen.

Importantly, this poor-quality image is not even in color as are the original Kodachromes (a sepia-tone was applied to the image in the video.) The size and perspective of the being –and its texture and shape- is hugely distorted and important key details are unable to be seen.

A reproduction of an image can only be as good as its source material – and that source material was intentionally modified in the preview video. Bear in mind too that this is only one of the two slides that exists. This slide is the least interesting of the two. The other slide provides greater clarity and with far more detail revealed.

None of the photo-scientists who analyzed the slides were working with such degraded material like a video screen grab- they were working with the ‘raw’ original slides and with high-definition enlargements of them. This is not so of the many who give ill-informed opinions about them.

Finally, the image on the video was only offered as to give an idea or preview of the ‘real deal.’ It was not intended by any means whatsoever to be used to technically dissect the image or to offer the ‘full view’ of what the slides actually show. It is difficult to understand what some people do not understand about that.

FROM HOAX TO HYDROCEPHALIC-
DESPERATE ATTEMPTS FOR AN EXPLANATION

There have been cries from some quarters that the slides are not authentic, or depict a mummy or even a hydrocephalic deformity. And these cries are as loud as they are incorrect.

To address the question of dating of the slides and the possibility of photographic deception, here is a summation of analysis done by experts from industry and academia:

-The film is manufacture coded (edge code dated) as 1927 or 1947 or 1967

-The protective lacquer used on the film is from the 1930s to 1960, eliminating the year 1927

-The cardboard sleeve used is 1941-1949, eliminating the year 1967 and leaving 1949 as the latest date the film was exposed

By simple process of elimination using these findings, we are left with the year 1947. Allegations that somehow the owner of the film was able to locate, purchase and take undeveloped, pristine and preserved Kodachrome filmstock from the specific year 1947 and find a way to take a picture with it and have it successfully developed using the old stock is ludicrous. I challenge anyone anywhere at any time to today find such 1947 cardboard slide sleeves and unused 1947 Kodachrome film, find an appropriate camera, take a picture of what is shown, and then have it processed.

If the being depicted in the slide was made in 1947 was a model or dummy, it in no way correlates to the 1940s concept of what ‘Martians’ look like and everything like what witnesses to the bodies at Roswell reported. Too, the slides were found hidden amongst well over 100 other slides taken by the Rays in the 1940s, so everything must be viewed within this context.

To address the question of whether or not the being depicted is that of a mummy or of a hydrocephalic:

-Hydrocephaly is a condition whereby there is an abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the ventricles of the brain causing bulbous enlargement of the skull. The treatment is to use a cerebral shunt to regulate amount, flow direction and pressure of the fluid. However, there are two things that must be understood. According to the journal Annual Review of Hydrocephalus, the long-term survival of hydrocephalics before 1960 (the year shunts were introduced as a treatment) was exceedingly low. Dr. Spyros Sgourus says that there was “high morbidity and mortality associated with treatment of hydrocephalus in the 1930s and 1940s.” According to the Review, in the 1940s, before shunting was established, infants with hydrocephalus had a very poor prognosis for survival. The fact is that the being pictured in the slides is between 3.5-4.0 feet tall and because of this is not a hydrocephalic infant. The skirted female legs (stocky like Hilda Ray) shown in the slide give us a very good sense of the length of the being she is looking at.

-Clear versions of the slides depict a being whose anatomy does not correspond to a human being. The limbs (legs and arms) are exceeding thin, frail and fragile, characteristics that are not associated with hydrocephalus. In fact, the torso (which has been opened) and rest of the body look nothing like any known case of hydrocephalus in history. The skull too, is enlarged but not ‘bulbous’ which is characteristic of non-shunted hydrocephalics.

-The being’s head is severed from the body (not evident in the screen grab) and one eye is missing. The chest and the abdominal cavity are missing. Hydrocephalic corpses are kept intact in medical study and display.

-The being has no teeth and has wide-set eyes. Lack of teeth and wide set eyes are not known to be conditions associated with hydrocephaly.

-In the actual slides it is evident that the being has only four fingers. To my knowledge, mummies and hydrocephalics are not typically missing a fifth digit.

-A detail not known or revealed to anyone but those who have seen the slides is that close-ups of the being’s face show a very ‘pointed’ chin, a chin that in no way resembles a human, mummified or hydrocephalic. In fact, the facial features do not in any way match that of other known hydrocephalics or mummies.

-One commenter (Gilles Fernandes) has shown a side-by-side comparison of the video grabbed slide and an infant mummy. He circles the feet of both, making a comparison and implying that they are one and the same. However, the image Mr. Fernandes offers is that of a specimen who is far, far shorter than 3.5-4.0 tall. And what is depicted in the slide is not a foot at all, but something else, perhaps a piece of debris lying on the surface. The being’s feet actually end behind the placard. In the actual slide there is even another similar, smaller such item which can be seen.

-This ‘placard’ is not very evident in the video grab image. However, it has been enlarged by experts and the writing, in red ink, is handwritten, not typed, as would be found in a biological display in a museum.

-Most importantly, the placard, as well as the support structure that the being rests upon, are clearly ‘temporary.’ The structure looks very make-shift, resembling a quickly-assembled ‘erector set’ type deal, with beams that have ratchet holes in them. The set-up in no way whatsoever resembles that of a professional museum display. It is not a well-crafted, pristine glass museum display box, but something not meant to be at all permanent. There is also a military-green blanket upon which the being rests, atypical of any such museum display of other biological specimens.

-Mummies are desiccated. This being was obviously either recently alive before the fatal pictures were taken, or had been embalmed.

-The Rays hid these two slides away and separate from the other slides found in a chest and were only discovered by the owners much later, as if to indicate that these two slides held special importance and meaning.

A CIRCUS- BUT WHO ARE THE REAL RINGMASTERS?

Some rabid skeptics have disparagingly termed the whole slide affair as ‘a circus.’ If it has in some way become one, it is not at all due to the actions of those who seek to study and present the slides. In fact it is outsiders who have tried to insert themselves into the saga who are the real ringmasters.

It began with a ‘leak’ of the story nearly three years ago. An anonymous individual apparently contacted researcher Nick Redfern and divulged what he knew. Nick then –understandably- began contacting researchers to gain more information. When word of the slides existence became public, very sick behavior ensued:

-This author had his computer system hacked in an attempt to gain more information about the slides, or perhaps to obtain the slides themselves.

-Other researchers including Nick Redfern and Tom Carey (who had his stored documents ‘crypto-locked’ with malware) were also hacked.

-Information and names obtained from my stolen emails on the slides investigation was made public on a website (before being deleted.)

-Some people began contacting -or threatened to contact- involved photo scientists and witnesses (including a 90 year old man) in an effort to either gain more information or to derail the investigation.

-Money was stolen from my credit card account in a ‘skimming’ scheme resulting from the hack of my computer system. Bank investigators are currently engaged in resolving this.

-Accusations of hoax were made even before any release of any type of the slides. I was directly accused of being ‘a liar’ and other defamatory and legally-actionable comments were made against me and my reputation.

-Phone calls were placed to me in the wee hours by blocked callers who threatened me with ‘exposure’ as a fraud and my family members have even been harassed.

-Some have recently blogged accusing investigators of “pretending” to be hacked to build publicity and mystery. Falsely reporting that a crime has been committed (charges have been filed with the FBI) is a federal offense.

MAKING MONEY ON THE SLIDES

Some have said that the whole thing has been done to make money. But what has really motivated the slides investigation is a sense of obligation to truth and to history. What these skeptics fail utterly to understand is the great expense –both personal and monetary- that this slide investigation has cost. Who do they think paid for the expert analysis of the slides? Who do they think paid for repeated visits to places like New Mexico, Texas and Rochester? Who paid for the hotels, car rentals, meals out? On whose dime and on whose time do they think all this investigation was done? This has all been self-funded by the owner and the investigators. And every moment that has been taken investigating the slides is a moment that has been taken away from making a living or time with family. Frankly the gall that some have to suggest that this should all be unpaid effort is beyond belief. And despite attempts at gaining mainstream media interest, none was obtained. A public venue was chosen and a live broadcast planned (on May 5th) that has to be paid for by someone, and a self-funded documentary such as Mr. Dew’s was produced. Skeptics should thank those involved, not condemn them. And as the discoverer of the slides, why shouldn’t the owner enjoy recompense? I cannot understand why some insist this should be a volunteer effort and that everything should be done for free. That said, this author has neither received nor sought any compensation- but I do not in any way at all find any fault for those that do.

WHAT THE SLIDES SAY ABOUT US

Perhaps as interesting as the remarkable story of the slides themselves is the remarkable story of how people have dealt with such news. Jealousy, a sense of exclusion, and an inability to accept the possibility of what the slides do represent have all been in evidence during the slides saga. The compulsion by some to insert themselves into the story and to offer their judgment even before the slides and study are presented is worthy of a psychology study. Indeed, what the slides say about life beyond Earth is as telling as those who live upon it.

Posted by KRandle at 3:22 PM

Not really. You can't drop morsels for years and not expect people to want more information.

I don't expect these people not to 'want more information'; I expect them not to poison the well out of their frustration, spreading gossip, hacking the lead researchers' computers, making libelous claims about them, tracking down and harassing witnesses and consultants, and in general constituting part of the problem rather than contributing to its solution. In short I expect them to behave like adults, acting in good faith and in the interests of progress in this field. Instead they embarrass the entire investigative field and set it back in the eyes of the public. The majority of this current internet chatting class are a waste of time.

Besides which, Boy, when did Carey drop the 'first morsel' regarding the possibility of a 'smoking gun'? Was it in response to whoever 'let the cat out of the bag' regarding the slides and asked him about them? Why don't you see if you can trace the chronology and nature of these events before you attempt to place the blame for all that has ensued on Carey?

Ron Burgundy: Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.
Champ Kind: It jumped up a notch.
Ron Burgundy: It did, didn't it?
Anchorman (2004)

Back