• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Return of Walter Bosley

None of that eliminates what I said about Roswell just as possibly (if not more so) being a human project gone awry. :D
True. Just common worldly sense makes it more likely to have been the crash of something terrestrial. But then again, when it comes to alien visitation, it's the exceptions that we're dealing with, and Roswell seems to fit in there pretty well. Like Gene says, "We'll probably never know what really happened."

True. Just common worldly sense makes it more likely to have been the crash of something terrestrial. But then again, when it comes to alien visitation, it's the exceptions that we're dealing with, and Roswell seems to fit in there pretty well. Like Gene says, "We'll probably never know what really happened."

That's probably true.

I really enjoyed being on the show, and I hope listeners can forgive my rusty interviewing skills. Gene and Walter make it sound like they're sitting at the kitchen table gabbing over coffee, but I remind myself of a rookie reporter, in fact this one may have even been more entertaining ..: ;)

A couple of of links as promised on the Antarctic anomalies:

I have been looking long and hard for the op name for SAS Operation also believe there was more to the story that the had infilled to antartica and were attacked by that the described as "Polar Men".

OK, that's not exactly what I said or claim the USAF did, boys.

You are assuming that the UFO thing WAS more classified than everything else, which is an assumption. You guys also presume to know that UFOs were real in your preferred definition and would never have been used as a cover for a classified first attempt at manned space flight. There was a cold war going on and man in space was considered one of the heights of attaining the high ground. So in the mind of Curtis LeMay it might have been that such an attempt WAS INDEED a tad more serious than UFOs (in spite of the various questionable or questionably interpreted documents that will be bandied about in response to me...) thus the fun but not-as-substantiated-as-many-wish subject of UFOs might very well have been considered worth sacrificing to cover an operation which the USAF Chief of Staff and the DoD commanders and even the President could have considered of greater importance, i.e. said first manned attempt. If that wasn't clear in the discussion on the show, mea culpa, but what you're suggesting is not what I meant. :D :D :D :D :D etc

Walter, the idea from Randall I was referring to in my post wasn't actually directed at anything you did or did not say, I was simply crediting Randall with educating me with an argument I'd never considered before myself. I don't even remember exactly when and Randall brought it up and why but regardless of why Randall said it, I was just commenting that it's an idea that I like that can probably be applied to various incidents etc in the history of Ufology. I wasn't necessarily agreeing with whatever reason Randall brought it up for at the time, more just that in general, it's a pretty useful argument for any circumstances that could apply with one highly classified item being used to coverup a less-highly classified item. :)

Walter, the idea from Randall I was referring to in my post wasn't actually directed at anything you did or did not say, I was simply crediting Randall with educating me with an argument I'd never considered before myself. I don't even remember exactly when and Randall brought it up and why but regardless of why Randall said it, I was just commenting that it's an idea that I like that can probably be applied to various incidents etc in the history of Ufology. I wasn't necessarily agreeing with whatever reason Randall brought it up for at the time, more just that in general, it's a pretty useful argument for any circumstances that could apply with one highly classified item being used to coverup a less-highly classified item. :)

Oh! Ooops, it read another way to me. Notice I added smiles etc, which means my reply was not in red-faced fist-shaking rage, lol. This danged 21st Century version of the 19th Century telegraph! :D :D

I have been looking long and hard for the op name for SAS Operation also believe there was more to the story that the had infilled to antartica and were attacked by that the described as "Polar Men".
There's all kinds of Arctic & Antarctic mythology out there. It fires the imagination, but I don't think there's much to it. However there could very well be some modern bases there that are off the civilian grid. I dunno. Like Bosley says, to paraphrase; "To know for sure we'd have to go down there and have a look for ourselves." Wouldn't it be great to have that kind of budget for investigation?

I think the Wilbert Smith memo referred to the genuine UFO mystery, not classified black projects. I'm sure UFOs were used as cover for classified projects, but the reason I think they could get away with that is that there was a genuine UFO mystery to begin with. I think this memo addresses the US government's attempt to try to understand a mystery; their level of understanding of it at the time is unknown.

It may be mentioned here.

http://www.histarmar.com.ar/Antartida/Base-Hitler/LaBaseAntarticadeHitler.pdf

Britain’s secret war in Antarctica

Robert claims not only that there was indeed a secret German base in Dronning Maud Land during World War II, but also that the British spied on it from their own secret base in Dronning Maud Land. He claims that the British Army’s SAS attacked and tried to destroy the German base around Christmas 1945. According to Robert (2005c), that attempt was ineffective, as were the subsequent attempts by the USA’s Operation Highjump, and the German base was finally destroyed by secretly exploding three atomic bombs above it in 1958

I think the Wilbert Smith memo referred to the genuine UFO mystery, not classified black projects.
That seems to be the case given the wording.
I'm sure UFOs were used as cover for classified projects, but the reason I think they could get away with that is that there was a genuine UFO mystery to begin with.
That's where the logic falls apart. Disclosing the existence of or even simply alluding to secret projects simply isn't done without proper authorization and protocols. Captain Whomever wouldn't have the discretion to use any highly classified project as a cover for anything without proper authorization. The only way it would make any sense at all is if they mistakenly thought UFOs weren't taken seriously and weren't classified. Because then they couldn't get in any trouble for mentioning them. But that wasn't the case, so what was the real situation?

It makes far more sense to suggest that if any official intentionally used the word "UFO" as a cover, it's because he or she didn't know the real extent of actual UFO investigations and was simply using the term to imply a literal interpretation of the words that make up the acronym, as in literally an unidentified flying object, which is not what the official definition of UFO was. Instead it may have been simply a euphemism for "I don't know" which is a euphemism for "Maybe I know but I can't tell you." But whatever the case, it's not likely that it was being used in the sense that official USAF UFO investigations used the word, which ultimately boiled down to meaning some sort of alien craft.

For example AFR-200-2 which officially defines the word UFOs for the purpose of USAF investigation specifically states in no uncertain terms that unknown aircraft are not to be reported as UFOs, and Ruppelt had a Top Secret clearance that gave him access to Top Secret info on Secret USAF projects. He was also himself an aeronautical engineer. He makes us aware that certain secret projects led to UFO reports, but that the objects in those reports weren't UFOs. They were certain secret projects e.g. Skyhook. So no confirmation about what the object in the report was given to the public, and that left people to imagine it was whatever the word "UFO" meant to them, rather than thinking it through.

I think this memo addresses the US government's attempt to try to understand a mystery; their level of understanding of it at the time is unknown.
Exactly. It's perfectly clear that the Project Magnet memo wasn't simply referring to some sort of unknown aircraft, and the project with the task of figuring out what they were was classified higher than the H-Bomb. It's totally ridiculous to think that anyone would authorize that level of a project to be used as a cover story for anything. Furthermore the whole suggestion reeks of an attempt to depreciate the role that official UFO investigations had by implying they were simply fabricated cover stories involving little green men and nothing to take seriously. I'm not falling for it.

Whatever has been really going on with UFOs goes far deeper and is of far more significance than human test subjects. We know about human test subjects. We know soldiers were basically used as guinea pigs during nuclear bomb tests. But they still aren't disclosing what they really know about alien visitation, and they have to know a lot more than they're telling us.

Last edited:
What is the provenance of the information in the Project Magnet memo? The way the memo reads is that the comment about UFOs being classified 'higher than the H bomb' is coming from Canadian embassy staff employees who go unidentified. Whereas that could mean intelligence personnel, it still means Canadian personnel. From personal experience, I can tell you that we would not share something classified 'higher than the H bomb' even with friends. I've known agents who have lost their badges for sharing much lower info with allies. There are people in jail for sharing lesser info with representatives of nations we are allied to. I can't say exactly why Smith would be told this by embassy personnel but I must seriously doubt the info is accurate. Not to start a fight, but it just doesn't look, feel or resonate as something that can be depended upon.

Last edited:
The way the memo reads is that the comment about UFOs being classified 'higher than the H bomb' is coming from Canadian embassy staff employees who go unidentified.

I just read the memo again before reading your comment Walter. I agree.

Why would the US even compare one secret project with another secret project, and explicitly say "h-bomb" ?!?!?!?

To me, this memo comes across as a possible intelligence red-herring to lure Soviet, and any other agents, to waste time looking for "information more highly classified than the h-bomb" just so they will not be fully focused on collecting h-bomb stuff. At least that's another highly plausible explanation.

I do not think US officials doubted all significance of saucers, discs, and UFOs, but I think they may have used them occasionally to divert the focus of foreign agents. How would Wilbert Smith ever be in a position to actually verify what he reported? It's just what someone "fed" him for his report.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would Wilbert Smith ever be in a position to actually verify what he reported? It's just what someone "fed" him for his report.
If we boil down everything to the issue of verifiability then we might as well forget the whole thing because there isn't enough evidence for everyone to consider any given thing 100% "verified". All verification is is evidence someone believes is sufficient for them to believe a claim is true. It's essentially a synonym for the word "proof", and I think the Project Magnet Memo can be considered a form of verification through back-channels that the USA was secretly investigating UFOs and that they were taken very seriously. But now we're also losing focus on the point I was making. Consider it this way:

The Project Magnet memo was an example for the sake of discussion to illustrate the point that UFOs were being officially investigated in secret by the USA. So if we really want to, we can forget the Project Magnet Memo. Let's not get mired down in all the minutiae of document analysis. It's as simple as this: We either accept that secret investigations into UFOs was taking place in the USA or we're not. If we agree that it was, it doesn't matter what name the project went by or what kind of typeface this or that document should have to match genuine documents or whatever. That's all beside the point, and the point that nobody could simply barf it out as a cover story remains the same.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. In fairness here, you were using the memo as basis for your position that UFOs would never have been used to cover something else. There is a BIG space between 'classified higher than the H bomb' and the 'USA was secretly investigating UFOs and that they were taken very seriously'. All I'm saying is that if the argument is based on that memo, it doesn't stand.

"Let's not get mired down in all the minutiae of document analysis" Legitimate investigations have successfully proven or disproved allegations by getting very deeply into "all the minutiae of document analysis". Ask your average fraud investigator or a counterintelligence investigator, among others. If said document analysis reveals that the document is not likely legit then 'getting mired' in the doc analysis was entirely justified.

I'm not trying to be a dick. Seriously. But it's time perhaps that the UFO discussion reset to a starting position that does not assume an ET solution nor compels the participants to show reverence to the ETH because it's what many people are conditioned to fall back on or have chosen to believe. :)

Check out 'Reframing The Debate' at your bookseller of choice. And, no, I did not contribute to this book, didn't even know about it until it was done and at the printer.

Wait a minute. In fairness here, you were using the memo as basis for your position that UFOs would never have been used to cover something else.
I don't recall saying "never". I usually make a conscious effort to avoid absolutes. I probably said something along the lines that it doesn't make any sense to use one highly classified secret project as a cover story for another.and used the Project Magnet memo as an example of how seriously UFOs were taken.

There is a BIG space between 'classified higher than the H bomb' and the 'USA was secretly investigating UFOs and that they were taken very seriously'. All I'm saying is that if the argument is based on that memo, it doesn't stand.
Sure it does.

"Let's not get mired down in all the minutiae of document analysis" Legitimate investigations have successfully proven or disproved allegations by getting very deeply into "all the minutiae of document analysis". Ask your average fraud investigator or a counterintelligence investigator, among others. If said document analysis reveals that the document is not likely legit then 'getting mired' in the doc analysis was entirely justified.
It's beside the point.
I'm not trying to be a dick. Seriously. But it's time perhaps that the UFO discussion reset to a starting position that does not assume an ET solution nor compels the participants to show reverence to the ETH because it's what many people are conditioned to fall back on or have chosen to believe. :)
That's a sort of loaded rationale that sounds good on the surface, but needs to be deconstructed in order to see the issue clearly. However most people don't bother because it's easier to make armchair judgements on sound-bites than think it through. The fact is, by not assuming any starting point, it leaves interpretation open to anything and that provides no specific focus at all. I don't think that's a good idea. It's perfectly normal for research into specific things to have a specific hypothesis.
Check out 'Reframing The Debate' at your bookseller of choice. And, no, I did not contribute to this book, didn't even know about it until it was done and at the printer.
Yes that sounds like a good idea. I should check it out before I comment on it specifically. Perhaps a chapter by you would have been a good addition ;) .

The fact is, by not assuming any starting point, it leaves interpretation open to anything and that provides no specific focus at all. I don't think that's a good idea. It's perfectly normal for research into specific things to have a specific hypothesis.

Randall, the available body of evidence has to be able to bear the hypothesis, or else you drop it. Could I ask, would you please give us a list of ten reports that convince you that the ETH is valid? Or can you point us to a list? I've read various lists, and most are convincing of some kind of encounter, but not necessarily the ETH. What are the top ten reports that convince you of the ETH?

Randall, the available body of evidence has to be able to bear the hypothesis, or else you drop it. Could I ask, would you please give us a list of ten reports that convince you that the ETH is valid? Or can you point us to a list? I've read various lists, and most are convincing of some kind of encounter, but not necessarily the ETH. What are the top ten reports that convince you of the ETH?
You'll have to forgive me, but after creating a rather extensive response, I highlighted some text I wanted to delete and it highlighted the whole thing and deleted the whole post :eek: ! ... arrr ... So we'll have to do this another way in small chunks. I'll begin by saying that we can't even begin to have a proper discussion about it at this point because we probably aren't on the same page regarding what we mean by the terms that are being used.

The ETH is simply a hypothesis. Some versions make sense. Others don't. I prefer to use more precise terms with specific meanings in the context of ufology as a well defined subject. Otherwise we just float around in informal conversation where it's been my experience that the terms are inconsistent and often ill defined or defined specifically to suit the agenda of someone who wants to sell their particular perspective as opposed to a more objective look at the subject matter.

I prefer to use more precise terms with specific meanings in the context of ufology as a well defined subject.

I'm up for reading your precision terminology, and if it already exists somewhere, you can point me to it.

I'm not interested in being argumentative at all. From my view of the world, I simply do not see enough convincing evidence of the ETH as it is commonly defined, and I wondered which cases convince you. For example, I feel pretty confident that some kind of weird shizzle happened to Travis Walton, and to the fellow brush workers with him. But I am not sure that his experience is best answered by ETH. Maybe you know of cases that I do not know of, since I am no expert on the history of ufos. I would still prefer a list of ten events that you think point to your definition of the ETH. Best.

What is the provenance of the information in the Project Magnet memo? The way the memo reads is that the comment about UFOs being classified 'higher than the H bomb' is coming from Canadian embassy staff employees who go unidentified. Whereas that could mean intelligence personnel, it still means Canadian personnel. From personal experience, I can tell you that we would not share something classified 'higher than the H bomb' even with friends. I've known agents who have lost their badges for sharing much lower info with allies. There are people in jail for sharing lesser info with representatives of nations we are allied to. I can't say exactly why Smith would be told this by embassy personnel but I must seriously doubt the info is accurate. Not to start a fight, but it just doesn't look, feel or resonate as something that can be depended upon.
I disagree.

Magnet (with Smith) was done under the direction of Transport Canada in the 50's. Which, among other things, ran the civil aviation branch of Canada's DND.

Which, of course, was deeply involved with early detection of Soviet bombers coming across the poles in Canadian airspace (including the back engineered Tupolev which was a Soviet copy of the SuperFortress).

It also governed the transport of Uranium to the US - which in the early 50's was a very big deal. And just because Canada isn't a nuclear power, don't forget that we are the only *former* nuclear power that intentionally gave up it's nukes.

Canadian uranium powered the Manhattan project. Canadian scientists were part of the Manhattan project, along with the Brits.

Two other countries had access to the plans for building an H bomb: Britain and Canada.

So it's not that much to consider that perhaps other information was shared with Canada as well.

Let's also not forget that this memo was classified Top Secret by the Canadian government until 1969.

Back