• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Paracast — Subscription Only?

Free episodes:

If The Paracast Were Subscription Only, Would You Subscribe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Exactly.

If we can get sales/marketing help and boost Paracast+ subscriptions (very important), it will do wonders for the bottom line. After so many people complained about the network ads, I thought people would be lining up to get an ad-free version, particularly with the extra stuff.

Otherwise, we have to consider what sort of changes will solve the one and only problem — money — but not make the situation worse, or stall growth for good.

i would have no problem subscribing if the price was 3 a month for a ad free podcast, i also think the paracast is missing a trick as it could be an idea to charge for past shows at 69p each to download. unfortunately the price 0f $6 for current content is lacking compared to other subscriptions models.

The problem with content is if it turns in to regurgitated guests the show would become stale quick. its very hard to keep content flowing and fresh. 2 shows a month for £3 is fine IMO id hate filler just to have 5 shows a month ect.

The setup we use through the forum doesn't allow for an automatic method to charge different prices for different things. Our price is consistent with what others charge. I could consider a slight price reduction, but those who paid for longer term memberships need to be accommodated somehow, or just rejoin at the lower rates, which may be the only way the system would allow.

Much better :
Where Did The Road Go.
Good show. WDTRG uses Patreon for fundraising and also has the support of community radio station WVBR (Ithaca, NY), from whose studios it is produced and broadcast. The show arose as a follow-on from host Seriah's established weekly heavy metal show at the same station. I appreciate Gene's comments regarding the difficulties in using Patreon for an already-existing set up like Paracast. However, could a similar tie-in with (say) an Arizona broadcaster at least help in reducing production costs and piggybacking their marketing efforts? Just a thought.

An immediate change to, we hope, boost Paracast+ signups:

Here's our new rate structure, effective immediately:
  • $4.99 per month
  • $49.99 per year
  • $199.99 for five years
  • $349.99 for a lifetime subscription
EXISTING SUBSCRIBERS! I don't think the one penny reduction for five years and lifetime should matter. If you want to take advantage of any of the new rates, it's a little involved, but not hard! Before your renewal date for your monthly or annual subscription, login to your PayPal account, go to your Recurring Payments and cancel your existing payment to us (Paracast LLC). It will expire on the renewal date. You can now sign up again at the new rate! I wish it were easier, or automatic, but we're locked into the PayPal structure.

Or just let us keep the change. :)

Why the .99? It's the power of nines:

Why Do Most Prices End in .99?

You make no point here. We never said this is the only serious paranormal radio show on the planet. But there aren't many. Most are busy placating their audience with fanciful nonsense. We've recommended several shows over the years. As a listener, you know what they are.
My point is that you consider your podcast the GOLD STANDARD. You have inferred that your intent is to provide a serious look at ufology or the paranormal. That is fine. But in the context of making Paracast a subscription service, MY POINT IS THAT YOU ARE NOT OFFERING ANYTHING THAT CANNOT BE FOUND ELSEWHERE.

I have said this before and you have refuted it. You have claimed that the Paracast is unique. It isn't.

You have said repeatedly that most listeners will not subscribe if you took the show behind a firewall. People responded to that (as I did) with suggestions to make the show more appealing to a large audience. But every suggestion has been batted back at the pitcher as a "no way, Jose" response.

So that just sort of leaves you with no where to go.

However, I do see progress in your thinking. First when people gave their honest opinion that the AFP show behind the firewall was not worth a subscription and even seemed like chitchat, you did not want to hear this. You refuted it. This is like the manufacturer of a product like toothpaste replying to customer assertions that it tastes bad by saying "No it doesn't! You customers are wrong!" That would certainly be the Donald Trump response! LOL

But today when I checked the posts, I see you are finally opening up to the idea that the AFP needs more depth.

Now, it is true you have had extended interviews on AFP. But what you seem to miss is that often those extended interviews would be chitchat. There will be trivial discussions on topics not really related to the guest's field of expertise. It was at times like a morning radio talk show where people shoot the breeze.

My point is that if people offer you suggestions and all you do is bat them back, then what is the point of asking? You may think the suggestion sucks, but it seems more discreet to just not respond rather than repeatedly telling someone that you won't even consider it.

I promise that I will NOT make another suggestion. I think my forum "self" is very tainted in your mind. So I will no longer participate. I wish you luck. Happily, my subscription ends in June. I obviously will not be renewing it.

Last edited:
If you don't like the show don't listen. The discussion here is about marketing and distribution and enhancing Paracast+. We're already adding content and the price has been lowered.

If you want a different show, fine. But that's not The Paracast.

But I also never asked someone to provide me with their work for free. If I couldn't afford it said:
Nor do I expect it here. The podcast was a life expander for however long it lasted/will last. I support what I can as much as I can but this just doesn't make that cut right now. And my preferred primary vocation is as a writer so I totally get what you are saying. I have met so many artists across many media who fight that hypocritical bias: in theory so many people support that all deserve a living wage yet when it comes out of their direct pockets the "oh hell no, I am not paying THAT much - they are OUT of their minds!!!! thinking comes into play. There is no simple solution. There is no solution which will please everyone but reality often sucks. Choices and decisions have to be made and they are rarely easy ones. I wish both Gene and Chris many great things. (And a great Thank You to Chris, by the way, for making his OOP books affordable via pdf).

Gene as you know I am not inclined to pay for a podcast subscription, but I understand you need to make a living also. The .99 an episode sounds like a great idea to me. It's an amount that would not be missed by anyone and if you didn't like the episode that week you don't have to pay for it. I think this would get you over a thousand downloads a week which is nothing to sneeze at. also, people would feel better because there is no subscription to worry about. I for one would pay for many episodes this way and for really special round table episodes with many guests you could charge 1.99 for that episode. I think you can see what I'm getting at, right Gene? Endless possibilities.

If we had 2,000 Paracast+ subscribers, and allowed the rest of our listeners to continue to hear a free show, we'd do quite well. It would be enough to provide a decent income for two hosts before we even get to finding a way to sell more ads. I mentioned this on a recent episode of After The Paracast. It's a middle class salary, a lot less than other radio show hosts receive. But it's a living.

I think Steve is absolutely right. You should always have an a la carte option for folks.
It's about infrastructure, Paul. And if we offer it by the episode, do we consider adding DRM?

I have a developer who will do some work for us next month. Let's see what he can devise. The current member upgrade structure doesn't have a way to do that.

Congrats, you've inspired me to sign up to your forum, so that I can cast my vote. Your program is top notch, and I appreciate the skeptical take and critical thinking your show offers in a sea of true-believer-radio. Having said that, I moved away from the C2C/paid subscriber model and have zero desire to pay for another podcast subscription. I see The Paracast as the NPR of anomalistics radio. It's free, quality content that I can count on without worrying if I've paid the bill or not. A pay-to-play barrier to that content is certainly not the *best* way to boost your listener base, which already has competition from many other free outlets (Open Minds Radio, Kevin Randle's new podcast/vlog, etc.)

My advice (humbly offered) would be to have a yearly fund-rasing effort, or an on-going GoFundMe that you could plug weekly, where those who really want to give, could do so.

Best of luck and keep on *free* streaming!

CuCullen

Last edited:
GoFundMe? I suppose, if we could work out a proper marketing plan. Suggestions are welcomed.

Right now the votes are fairly close. Although the subscription-only options are winning, I've received emails from long-time listeners who would otherwise vote "no."

For now, I'm pushing Paracast+ as an ideal solution. That way people who want free can have free, with the commercials. And those who want to help the cause, or want to get rid of the ads and listen to the other content, can subscribe.

Just subscribed to P+ for a year. You guys are well worth it and I'm privileged enough at the moment to be able to afford it.

There were a lot of interesting points made here. I will chime in on the point about charging for old episodes if you're not a subscriber -- I'd like to see you and Christ earn a better living for what you do.

I also wish to chime in on the point about whether or not what you do is 'unique' -- especially as it relates to the podcast Where Did The Road Go?. Seriah gets a lot of the same guests in for his show as Gene and Chris do, and while what he does reflects a similar level of intellectual discourse and integrity, his is also a very different show from The Paracast. Whether or not one is more unique than the other is a matter of personal taste. I'm a HUGE fan of both podcasts.

When I next have a break I will look forward to snooping around the site to see what I can find now that I'm a subscriber! :D

Back