• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Paracast Plus Poll

Would You Subscribe to a Premium Paracast Pro Service? (Regular show and forums remain free!)

• Total voters

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
It's time to get down to brass tacks here. What percentage of our listeners would actually pay for a premium service with extra show content?

I'm curious, and I hope you'll participate.

I want to add one more thing: The core show and these forums will ALWAYS remain free. We're just talking about an extra premium service with additional content and features.

I guess one thing that might help would be a preview of some the types of content and features you plan to offer. You don't have to give away the farm, just give us a little taste.

if the price is right. I would pay for some extra content for your shows usually leave me wanting more and more information, ideas, pics,vids, etc. but as stated prior the price would be the determining factor, you know how it is round these parts these days.... the system has run a muck!!!

I expect that only a portion of our listeners are prepared to pay for a premium service. This is the sort of discretionary purchase that's really hard nowadays. But we're still working on compelling options, and we have to work out the behind-the-scenes setup for it to happen. We still need some help with the Web development, if any of you want to volunteer your services in exchange for a free membership when the thing goes live.

If it was some ala carte pricing structure as opposed to a monthly bimonthly or yearly fee I would go for it. I have a somewhat narrow intrest range in paranormal phenomena as far as the subject matter

If it was some ala carte pricing structure as opposed to a monthly bimonthly or yearly fee I would go for it. I have a somewhat narrow intrest range in paranormal phenomena as far as the subject matter

I retract that last statement In the end I realized it was counter intuitive to what my bottom line interests in the paranormal really amounts to.

How about making the archived shows available commercial free for a premium and direct questions...some logistics issues?...to the guests from forum members (not read by hosts)

I would suggest all achieved shows available for a fee but I agree with what sandafire said in another thread to charge a fee for something that was free is fraught with pr pitfalls unless you could make it per unit as I don't listen to every show and wouldn't want to pay a straight up fee for something I might listen to every 4-5 shows, granted c2c charges a blanket fee but that bloated program is on every day thus within a 3-4 month period it's easy to find enough shows that catch my interest to justify the bi annual fee, which for the record I stopped doing every since I started recording the shows live...commercials and all...I am interested in.

Ad free can't happen unless the network allows it. So far they won't. We're still working on them to change their tune. :)

I forgot, you did mention this. is it that the program is the property of gcn ? I could understand commercials on the live broadcast but when it's been put to bed and available for download do the rights of the show still belong to gcn ?

I wouldnt mind paying a small monthly fee for extended interviews (possibly as a sort of "deleted scenes" segmented added to the end of the regular show) and some sort of priority when it comes to questions for guests. Maybe even a quickly mocked up email containing links to websites, books, etc. mentioned in that week's show.

After listening to every episode from the start of the show, I've recently got to the point where I can't listen any more. The reason is the Ads have finally got to the point where they're so annoying and there're so many of them that it's painful to listen to the show.

I'd happily pay for an Ad free show, but I suspect I'm in the minority.

The ads are mandated by the network. So even if we charged for the show, we couldn't get rid of them. So for now we just ask people to Fast Forward through the ones you don't want to hear.

I'm not really bothered by a few ads. I understand you guys need to do this. I know you need income streams anywhere you can get them but I think the concept of paying is not something I would personally do. Mainly because the information I seek can be gotten from so many other sources for free.

One other podcast I listened to has gone this route and its funny that now I hear advertisements to join the "paid" subscriptions. No loss of advertising just a different kind. The show owner now needs to drum up support for his paid area. I suspect this would be the case with the paracast as well.

I think there would be a percentage of loyal users who will pay. Not sure how many that would be. Maybe something like an online monthy magazine would work better JMO.

I think only a small percentage of people are seriously interested in these things . The methods to find the answers don't seem forthcoming with traditional methods but discussion is interesting.

I would pay for an ad free show.​
I have listened since the very beginning, and that is all I want.​
Don't tell me to fast forward, don't tell me it is mandated by someone else, don't tell me it is out of your hands. I am simply telling you, like people on this and many other forums have done, that I would gladly pay for an ad free version of the podcast.​
It is counterintuitive to go to every forum post that mentions the show and tell people the same thing. Over and over and over. They all say they can't stand the ads anymore, and you defend the ads.​
THE PROBLEM IS THE ADS.​
We want the opportunity to listen to the show ad free. We are willing to pay for it.​
It is just that simple.​

And my answer is the same. The network says we cannot remove the ads. That's where it stands unless we can get a different deal.

I wrote the response above early in the morning. But I think it needs to be expanded so you listeners understand how the system works, so maybe I don't have to repeat it again.

The Paracast is a commercial radio show, available via traditional radio stations and online. As a result there are ads, the same number of ads as thousands of other radio shows in the U.S. I realize the advertising breakdown is different elsewhere in the world.

I realize some listeners don't like the ads, but that's the price of free radio and expanded distribution. Yes, we lose some listeners this way, but we get far more listeners because of the multi-distribution method. We need lots of listeners to make the show attractive to advertisers, our sole source of income. If we distributed the show strictly online, we simply wouldn't reach near as many people.

We are only paid for our own ads (nine minutes worth per episode). We aren't paid for network and radio station ads, nor do we have any say as to which ones they run. We are also required by the network to include the same ads with the online version of the show. So we aren't able to offer a premium ad-free version. That's the network's decision, and feel free to ask them to change their policy.

Offering a strictly premium show is a non-starter. Most people don't have the disposable income to support such ventures, which means we'd probably lose 98% of our listenership if we went that route.

This doesn't mean we're stuck with this system. We might have more options if we had some leverage.

The key to getting that leverage is to convince more radio stations to carry The Paracast and our other show, The Tech Night Owl LIVE. That's where you listeners come in. If you live in the U.S., please consider contacting the talk stations in your city and ask them to carry our shows. If you get some real interest, let us know, and we'll get the network involved in setting it up.

And, frankly, we are in desperate need of professional sales and marketing help to build ad sales income, enhance our online presence, and convince more stations to carry the shows. We've run the help wanted ads for years, but get few applicants. This is a real position, one that will pay a generous commission on every ad sale. If you're willing to get involved in building The Paracast and giving us the leverage to make some of the changes you want, click Contact Us below and send us your details. Thanks.

Using the iphone I can FF 30 seconds through the advertisements with the new podcast app. Android probably has something similar. Some of those advertisements I listen to like the one about the stoves(no I don't work for them) are even appealing. Not sure if you pick what is advertised on the website but I liked the one about Sonar X2. I am a regular customer.

None of the stations in my listening area are even remotely the type of stations that would carry this type of programming so I am glad to get it from the web via podcast. Good luck in getting something that works well and has the most benefit. Almost without exception I listen to all of your shows...on some of the others I am frequently hitting the delete button.

I seem to be having some issues with downloads at times related to the new iphone OS6. It seems downloads are hanging up even with the latest updates in place. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Anyone else having these issues?

Back