• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Other Side of Mars and Moon Mysteries with Expat

Being in film for so many years have you ever seen film or a photo that is compelling enough for you to consider this phenomena actually exists. Let's say this phenomena does exist what would be your way of approaching the investigation into these matters ? I know James Cameron had been involved in the mission of putting man on Mars using the old Apollo capsule type technology and returning them this way. Also with this in mind, is this the sort of approach you would consider taking or would you more rely on some sort of space reconnaissance like the space Hubble telescope? Nothing like a two year vacation!

Questions for EXPAT;

1. During the Apollo 16 flight, Ken Mattingly observed flashes on the dark side of the moon on two consecutive orbits. Do you have any further information about this, and/or do you have any thoughts on this?

2. On July 29, 1959 an astronomer named John O'Neill observed a large bridge over Mare Crisium, and British Astronomer Dr. H. Wilkins confirmed a bridge like structure one month later. What other bridge reports are you aware of?

Thank you.

Hi,
(Chris it's pronounced "Blay bee boy")

Some queries for expat:

1. What is his opinion of the appetite within a major news org to deliver impartial information on space and the possibility of life? The BBC strives for impartiality - often facing allegations of favouritism from many aspects of the political spectrum in doing so, did this ever become a problem with any of the documentaries involving yourself, or perhaps came to your knowledge through your network of peers?

2. As interest waned in the later Apollo missions did NASA themselves contemplate more extraordinary missions to try and maintain or rekindle interest in the Apollo missions?

3. Any opinion of Kevin Fong and Prof. Brian Cox as the new poster boys for promoting space and science from a cosmological and medical perspective?

4. Although you're a TV producer, did your position ever grant you access to anything that was not meant for the public? If so, is there anything you could now share as something you think was important at the time that is either still unknown or became known later and was significant?

5. What are the best or most interesting rumours/ conjecture around spaceflight at the moment for you?

6. Do you agree with Stephen Hawking that humans are only going to survive by moving into outer space? ..And will this be the underlying driver within academic circles for progressing space flight?

7. I'm assuming that in the course of making your documentaries you've spoken to numerous University Doctors and Professors. Has there ever been occasion where they've expressed one view for the documentary you've been involved with, but consequently expressed a different view off camera? Has this ever involved the topics discussed on this board?

8. IYO what is the biggest 'missed opportunity' in space flight thus far?

9. UFO's. Sideshow or worthy area of serious scientific investigation?

10. Which will give us more bang for our buck, back to the Moon or on to Mars?

11. You're 'semi-retired', so you're working on another project? Is it something that may be of interest to paracast listeners?

12. What one thing do you hope for space-wise in your lifetime? and what one thing will actually happen in your lifetime? :)

Cheers,

bb

Respectfully, my questions....

1. Is the Moon made out of cheese? If so, what kind?
  2. Is there really a "man on the Moon?" If so, do you think Mike Bara has met him, and would that make you jealous?
  3. With so much technology available to the average amateur astronomer, including very impressive astro-imaging hardware and software for rather modest pricing, why do people like Bara continuously make claims about areas, objects, and locations on the Moon that can be readily observed for several nights each month by literally hundreds if not thousands of observers? Such observations would clearly disprove many many of Bara's claims. To me this fact alone would be enough to encourage Bara and his ilk to give up the ghost since, literally, amateur astronomers around the world can disprove their claims by just looking up! In your professional opinion why do you think Bara continues to make these claims?
J.

I have always been interested in the idea of structures on the moon, mainly because of the logistical problems involved in keeping one secret. It seems that with so many nations being able to closely observe the moon any structure would have been seen by governments all over the world meaning they would all be in on the cover up together. Doesn't this seem like more cooperation than we would reasonably expect given the state of international politics? What have you heard about how many countries are, "in the know," when it comes to lunar activity, and how it is they manage to keep this information from leaking out through regime and administration changes?

PS It's pronounced, The Cake Is A Lie, thanks for reading the first question I posted!

I have always been interested in the idea of structures on the moon, mainly because of the logistical problems involved in keeping one secret. It seems that with so many nations being able to closely observe the moon any structure would have been seen by governments all over the world meaning they would all be in on the cover up together. Doesn't this seem like more cooperation than we would reasonably expect given the state of international politics? What have you heard about how many countries are, "in the know," when it comes to lunar activity, and how it is they manage to keep this information from leaking out through regime and administration changes?

PS It's pronounced, The Cake Is A Lie, thanks for reading the first question I posted!

Why? You have the dark side of the Moon, so not everyone can observe that side of the Moon. Also, many countries are adept at keeping their own bases secret on Earth even with satellites, so why cannot the same techniques be applied on Luna?

Cheers,
Bb

:rolleyes: ok I'll bite. For clarity. The 'dark' side of the Moon would be the hemisphere that is perpetually facing away from the Earth over the 28 day cycle, is completely dark during a New Moon and is unable to receive radio transmission from Earth.

The Moon, as with all planets/moons is just reflecting light from a star (albedo) - so I guess all planets/moons are dark to you? (you could make a small argument that the Earth does emit some light from large cities etc) but at various points during the 28 day cycle the Moon's surface at various points will receive light and therefore expose its form and its surface geology either via light from Sol(our sun) or from 'Earthshine', not dark as in not having any form or visible geological features visible to the human eye... even on the hemisphere perpetually facing away from the Earth .i.e. at the New Moon phase. Is that what you meant?

Found this link today although a couple of months old. Personally not convinced by it, but it might add a little to the topic.

Cheers,
Bb

:rolleyes: ok I'll bite. For clarity. The 'dark' side of the Moon would be the hemisphere that is perpetually facing away from the Earth over the 28 day cycle, is completely dark during a New Moon and is unable to receive radio transmission from Earth.

The Moon, as with all planets/moons is just reflecting light from a star (albedo) - so I guess all planets/moons are dark to you?
Cheers,
Bb

Just a quick question about that, the Earth itself gives off a fair amount of radiation. In the proper wavelength's would this, too, seem to cause the Earth to "glow" to an outsider? Of course it's a natural radiation so other planets with the same type of hard-rock composition, spinning core, etc... may do the same thing. Just pondering.

Just a quick question about that, the Earth itself gives off a fair amount of radiation. In the proper wavelength's would this, too, seem to cause the Earth to "glow" to an outsider? Of course it's a natural radiation so other planets with the same type of hard-rock composition, spinning core, etc... may do the same thing. Just pondering.

Yes, and not just natural rediation. If they saw in the radio or m/wave spectrums for example then it would glow pretty well. The 'dark side' of the Moon has oft been proposed as a good place to put a radio tekescope as it would be masked from all the crap we currently push there in pollution - similar to cities and night pollution.
cheers
Bb

The Moon, as with all planets/moons is just reflecting light from a star (albedo) - so I guess all planets/moons are dark to you? (you could make a small argument that the Earth does emit some light from large cities etc) but at various points during the 28 day cycle the Moon's surface at various points will receive light and therefore expose its form and its surface geology either via light from Sol(our sun) or from 'Earthshine', not dark as in not having any form or visible geological features visible to the human eye... even on the hemisphere perpetually facing away from the Earth .i.e. at the New Moon phase. Is that what you meant?

Found this link today although a couple of months old. Personally not convinced by it, but it might add a little to the topic.

Cheers,
Bb

The side that faces away from the Earth isn't actually always dark ... I just couldn't resist putting in the Pink Floyd quote. It would be more correct to say "The far side of the Moon" ... but then again people might confuse that with Gary Larson.

m176214365.jpg

Excellent article. I love hard numbers and facts.
I do see one possible flaw with his reasoning, though I do not believe that crater is a satcom dish, I do not believe beings with such advanced tech would construct an immobile satcom dish, and I do not beleieve said beings would actually need satcom dishes like that.

That being said, if such beings needed some sort of line of sight direct comms for God-knows-what, ...why could they not have some sort of autonomous drone using non-reactionary saucer-like propulsion. The drone technically not need to maintain a free fall orbit, it could just be in a powered flight keeping itself over the dish at "x" height.

That would be an awful lot of trouble for something I think would be advanced beings using an ancient communications method. But it's still a technically feasible concept, given advanced propulsion and energy tech.

I think the picture ( now that it's clearer ) looks a lot more like a giant subwoofer. My theory is that there was once a dense atmosphere on the Moon and this woofer was intended to be a weapon to drive the people of Earth crazy with trance techno music, but it backfired and became a doomsday device. When they turned it on the first thump blew away their atmosphere. Unfortunately a few of them managed to survive the catastrophe by migrating to Earth where they developed miniature versions of the weapon to install in the trunks of automobiles.
Beware ... hypno patterns that mess with your mind!

Where did you find it? His site is gone and I cant seem to find a copy of it anywhere.

any update about ways to find Allan's book? For what I read about Allan on the forum, he's not in the field anymore, which is really too bad, his appearance on Don's show and his reasearch on moon photos were really astounding. Seems he was dealing with some difficulties, hope the guy's doing better now...

Back