• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

the end of that other dark matter show?

Bob Watson

Paranormal Adept
this is to keep don and others informed. Looks like bell may pack it in! here is the events.
jan 30th
Hi all here is a update,

Here is the way I see things: Starting in late July Dark Matter makes a return five nights a Week
from 9PM-12AM P.T. on DMRN. The Stream will be at a higher bit rate and FREE to all.

As I mentioned a Producer is needed and it looks like we have found a really good one, Paul will
also be able to assist.

I will be depending on all of YOU as well as my FB followers to spread the word far and wide on
Social Media. A blitz if you will, BUT not yet, it's still too early, but I will give you all the word, we don't
need magazine's and we sure do not need AM radio to spread the word, Social media has far more
power, I have seen what YOU can do.

We will start building the Studio in March or so and as I have mentioned I will absorb the cost
myself. This will be a labor of love because I do dearly love Talk Radio. There will only be enough content
from anything else to give myself a short break every hour, or put another way, almost no commercials.

There are other very exciting aspects of what this show will have, but again it is simply too early to give
away what is coming. Trust me it is exciting.

Art Bell

feb 1
To, Lisa, Tommy & George

I am posting this here because I know you read here by the hour.

You may have noticed that when I made my announcement here on FB I did not in ANY...
way mention George or even Premiere. That is because I was hoping that I could
put all my efforts into preparing for the show I am going to do. It is not in your
interest to make this a War because as the 500 pound Gorilla in the room any conflict
does not work in your favor at all. I was and still am hoping we can simply both do
what we do and see how it all shakes out.

However, taking Jimmy away from Keith was kind of low brow, having George get on
the air and pretend to "help" me by talking about my return and then playing my now
very old show where I was told to say "George gets it".....well, it just does not seem like a
good start.

Let's start fresh! I will not go after you guy's and you don't go after me. Lets both do what
we do and see how it comes out in the end! I am more then happy to have a smaller, higher
quality show if that's how it plays out.

I will not hit, but I will hit back.

Art Bell

feb 7th
Hi there,

So much speculation, GOOD! What we are going to do should be a blast in my opinion.
Just think about it three hours a night to play with any topic we wish, lots of open lines
and NEW Guests. No restrictions on topics. VERY few commercials.

The live streaming will be FREE for both National and thank goodness, International
listener's. We will provide incoming phone lines as well as Skype connections.

I am sure some topics will be loved by some and hated by others, it is never possible
to please everybody all the time, that is one of the first things any Talk Host must learn.
Some of my best shows were filled with computer messages in the first hour or so that
said things like " dump this jerk and go to open lines" but by the end of the show people
were saying "Gee Art that was one of your best shows ever". On the other hand sometimes
the jerk HAD to dumped for open lines. Many times some of the BEST shows came from open
lines. That is the magic!

No program can exist on NO income so we will depend on some aspects that we can charge for
that will include the ability to download the show once it has aired, perhaps the ability to send
a fast blast, and any other goodies we can throw in to perhaps ask for five bucks a Month from
those willing to help, but make no mistake the live stream will be free, I want NO limits on the
possible number of people who can tune in.

Art Bell
feb 11th
I have some very sad news to report, barring some sort of miracle there will be NO Dark Matter Radio show. Here is why: I will be unable to use ANY Bumper music, I will be unable to use any Theme music. The cost of using even the small amount that I use in my show stops us cold. Both Keith and I have talked this to death and there is no way around it.

Yes I could do the show with no music but I will not because it was part of the very soul of my show as any of my former list...ener's know. I feel like crying to be honest with you. Keith and me along with others have poured time and money into this effort. I was about to spend $20,000.00 on just the Studio here in Pahrump. We had also cleared free streaming just as I had promised. The ..bottom line is that the music Industry has in my opinion shot themselves in the foot by making it impossible for anybody in my position to stream or provide any copyrighted music on the Web. That is why nobody, even Rush will do it. I am so sorry. If anything changes I will be right back on it. Just saying
feb11th

It warms my heart for some of you to be saying you do not care but for me it was a major part of the energy for me and I think the listener as well, I picked bumper music like others might pick a fine wine for a special dinner, it was part and I think a major part of the magic.

feb 11th
Just for the record, I am not quitting, I am just not starting till we can resolve this in some way. I do not want or need anybody's money. If we can find a way around this we will proceed. I was just trying to keep everybody up to date with the fact that we seemed to hit a brick wall. We are working on it.

feb 11th
I could live with no music in the Podcast for download BUT I at least want it for the stream. Even that seems to be a nightmare, as we look into it. Does anybody know a Talk Host doing a stream who is using bumpers legally?

Radio stations are covered by a blanket agreement, I know because I paid it for KNYE when I owned it. It is not even clear who you must pay to use music in a stream, the record keeping is also a nightmare. Those who say just put it on a station and your covered are wrong.

Anyway we continue to try and figure it out.

Don it is my hope he goes away your show is the only real dark matters show

feb 12th
We could do a subscriber only show for $4.99 as well but that is not what I promised. I promised a free stream.

Keith is right I guess, I am emotional and this crap really came out of left field. As I have written in other posts I am very attached to that music that I collected with love over many Years and it is part of the energy of the show for me as well as many who became fans over the long history of the show.

Yes, I could go back to commercial radio but my dream is an...d always was
good content without endless commercials, so no thanks.

The reason it came out of left field is because we were concerned with what we thought was the big stuff, my health, getting a live stream, setting up a studio but playing a few parts of music every hour? That was just not first on the list, nor should it have been in a logical World. People have said I am looking at all this like a Talk Show Host, it's the only way I know how to look at it!
feb 12th
have the start of what might be an idea, it might not work and it might be a BAD idea. I wonder if (2) feeds could be created, one that had music and one that had everything but music. I am a RF guy not audio but with some kind of mix-minus trick it might be possible. IF possible send the free feed with no music, just pregnant pauses and feed the full feed to the paid side. Sounds complicated and may not be possible. Just thinking
feb 12th...OH NOOOOOOOO>>>>>
BIG NEWS

This will really improve my Weekend and I hope yours!

We are now in talks with a ...
Big player in the Industry who
would be willing to provide both
a FREE stream of my show (with
my music) as well as a paid model starting in July. Not a
done deal yet because the horned guy is usually in the details but there is great hope. More next Week.

Art Bell is caught in the past. What he really wants to do is present a program like C2C. Unfortunately that idea bombed on Sirius XM. Now he is worried about bumper music, really?

If he had an ounce of sense he would pack it in. PS.... you know Dames will be showing up on any program Bell puts on.

I have not said very much about Bell and his show for awhile, but I will say this much ... I did not really believe he would come back on the "air".

If he really wanted to do his show (regardless of the fact that he stole my show's name) he could do it in any number of ways. I really think at this point ... he wanted the sensationalism of "Art is coming back to the air!" without any of the drudgery of actually having to do 5 nights a week ... again. Simply my 2 cents worth ... but once again, if he really wanted to get back "out there" he would find a way.

Decker

Art Bell is constantly promising to be back with a nightly show in July, when his non-competition clause in his SIRIUS XM contract is finished. I am not going to hold my breath. I am one of the veterans who went through Art's rise to super fame in the 1990's, and his self-sabotage by suddenly leaving his own program, then returning, then leaving (like my golden retriever wanting to come into the house, only to want to go out again). In listening to his Dark Matters short lived program, I felt the man had not kept up. He still seemed to think it was 1998. The cast of guests were the old tired hacks of the 90's, one a very well known fraud (Jonathan Reed). There will always be a faithful cadre of fans who stick with Art Bell, even if he personally brought down Building 7. But since his time, when there were no real competitors and the internet was in its infancy, an entire industry has arisen of internet paranormal podcasts, many of them excellent. The old timers may stick with AB for nostalgia's sake, but I really am skeptical that the younger generations will flock to him. Has he walked off the stage one time too many? One thing I've noticed about younger generations today. They really have no use for an old crank with a large ego who walks at the first sign of any stress or not getting his own way.

And why pick the name Dark Matter, when he knows he's copying the name of an existing show that's been on for years? It's not that he doesn't know Don Ecker!
I think that move showed how highly he thinks of himself & how low he views anyone else. He is way out of touch and at this point he is still a legend but mostly in his own mind. And not one I care to listen to.

Last edited:
The fact he picked the same name as Don's program only shows he is aware of how ignorant his audience is. The "informed" listener knows of the real Dark Matters- then there is the loyal Art Bell listener.

This isn't the first time for Art. He called one of his inane books THE QUICKENING. This title had already been used by Stuart Wilde only a year or two earlier. But I must say that Art did not ignore the issue. He had Stuart Wilde on C2C, where Stuart was asked to graciously accede to Art using the same book title. I understand that Art is working on another book that he hopes to name GONE WITH THE WIND (just kidding).

I don't think he ever intended to come back....Guys like Jimmy Church who is killing it and Mysterious Universe are the two best shows out there and Jimmy's show is free and commercial free four nights a week.

As Don said up there, he misses the attention but not the work!

He seems to be one of those guys who thinks the rules are for other people. Some years ago, I was getting into ham radio. That didn't last long because the first thing I noticed while listening to hams on the shortwave bands was that they either ranted about how evil Hilary Clinton was, or droned on endlessly about radio gear and signals and radio gear and what they had for lunch and radio gear. I exaggerate; it wasn't always that bad. Anyway, one night I found half a dozen old guys yacking it up from various parts of the continent, when Art came booming in louder than all the other guys put together. He's famous in the ham universe for his elaborate rigs and long hours on the air even when he was doing his commercial show. Thing is, hams are limited to something like 1500 watts but it's understood they are to use no more power than necessary. Things like bouncing a signal off the moon and catching it again (an interesting and tricky accomplishment) might take 1000 watts, but normally the shortwave conversations are conducted at a few tens of watts, as I recall. As I said I never bothered to pursue it. But there was Art, blasting his precious comments out at whatever wattage he thought he could get away with, all our ears be damned along with petty legalities and decades of established manners. That pretty well finished of whatever respect I still had for the guy. It was just arrogant and rude.

update
feb 22nd 2015
Ok here is a update that I am afraid will not tell you much. We are in talks with a big player and the rub is the music, for me a must have, as is the live show aspect and the time slot 9PM-12AM P.T. for the show.

The only sticking point is the music and we should have that worked out by the end of the Week, or not. All I can tell you is we are going at this as hard as we can. If we pull it off it will have some commercial content but it will be a free live stream and be Worl...dwide, then I feel I will have kept my promise. Nobody wants me back on the air more then me.

You will all know the moment I do.

Art

update
feb 22nd 2015
Ok here is a update that I am afraid will not tell you much. We are in talks with a big player and the rub is the music, for me a must have, as is the live show aspect and the time slot 9PM-12AM P.T. for the show.

The only sticking point is the music and we should have that worked out by the end of the Week, or not. All I can tell you is we are going at this as hard as we can. If we pull it off it will have some commercial content but it will be a free live stream and be Worl...dwide, then I feel I will have kept my promise. Nobody wants me back on the air more then me.

You will all know the moment I do.

Art
What does he mean about music? Art's taste in music has never evolved past the 1970's. So he is arguing to have his seedy tunes from the 70's back on his new show? Must we again hear the first few lines of DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY by Thelma Houston over and over and over?

Last edited:
Back