• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The direction of the show recently

mikepc

Skilled Investigator
This is only my opinion...

I've been listening to the Paracast for years, and have watched its evolution with rapt attention. I highly respect Gene and Dave's work, talents, and unparalleled sense of "signal to noise". I'm seeing a distinct trend to the show forming that is, to me, making the show less compelling to listen to. The show is becoming less a show about paranormal/ufo investigation to a show about the field of paranomal/ufo investigation and their works and relationships.

Most of the discussion these days centers around the experts talking about other experts and who said what and when and why they're full of BS. This approach, while informative and not altogether useless, I find to be more of a he-said, she-said buddy club chitchat discussion rather than an informative and entertaining program about the paranomal/ufology. While Gene and Dave, and many of the listeners have a deeply rooted background in ufology, knowing all of the players and a general understanding of all the major players' works. However, many of the listeners aren't familiar with all the material so invariably the buddy club chitchat is completely lost on them.

The bud hopkins show was not typical in this way and was truly a very enjoyable show, so I wanted to make clear I'm not talking about any specific show, but more a general direction the show has been taking. While separating signal from noise, it is important to provide SIGNAL and not just filtering out the noise, otherwise there's nothing to hear at all :).

Again, this is only my opinion and really doesn't matter much at all, but I thought I would share it.

I don't understand why you would post something like this. Do you believe that the hosts are obliged to direct the show according to your desires? The only possible outcome of a post like this would be to make the hosts feel bad about what they've created. You are a dick.

I don't understand why you would post something like this. Do you believe that the hosts are obliged to direct the show according to your desires? The only possible outcome of a post like this would be to make the hosts feel bad about what they've created. You are a dick.

I disagree. Constructive criticism is always a good thing. He didn't say do this and don't do that, he just pointed out a couple of observations and his honest opinion.

You, however, got all defensive and started ripping him apart for sharing his opinion like he's insulting you personally. Which in my honest opinion, is rather dickish.

His comments may be taken to heart by the hosts, and mayhaps they would run a different format for a couple months, more of the investigative style episodes that they used to do more frequently, as stated by the O.P. Personally, I don't mind the discussions. I thoroughly enjoy conversation, so no matter what format they discuss, I'll enjoy it, as long as they keep up the integrity of their investigations, which I'm more than postive they will.

Next time you wanna go call someone a dick for having an honest opinion, try not to take it so personally. As cute as it would be to see you two girls fight, the internets is no place for keyboard toughguys.

Well, you either appreciate the show or you don't. If you keep coming back, you must be getting something out of it or you wouldn't be wasting your time. There are quite a few podcasts out there on this subject. You have some choice in the matter. If you believe these other shows are superior, go for it. Meanwhile, I will question your sanity.

For myself, I've been thinking the show is getting better. Maybe that's because I'm putting more time and effort into it. (I'm not talking about my brief appearance on it. That's was an accidental aberration!) I was thinking more about posting on the forums and putting some effort into learning about new issues. I do think the show could benefit from broadening the base a bit. By that I mean reaching out into the other realms of the paranormal. There is a wealth of material out there. The fact is David and Gene have responded positively to past constructive criticism. I don't want to cite chapter & verse for fear of dredging up past conflicts, but they really have changed in response to viewer requests.

However, if you are going to criticize this or any other show, I think you owe it to the show to be as articulate and specific as possible. I'm having a little difficulty here because I'm not sure I quite get it. It seems kind of amorphous and general to me. I'm not sure that if I were the target of it I would know what it was I was being asked to change.

If I were able to govern the mode of criticism received by the show, I would dictate that you write your critique on a fifty dollar bill and send it in. Seriously. This show is not inexpensive to produce, and most of us continue to enjoy it for free. How about treating this like any magazine subscription and giving these guys a few bucks every year? If you're dirt poor, nobody expects you to put out, but you've got a computer and an Internet connection, don't you? Why not put your money where your mouth is and support its production? If you're not willing to support the show, I'm not sure your critique is worth much.

Forum description says :

"What is your favorite episode? What's your least-favorite episode? We've love to know, so we can take The Paracast to the next level of excellence.".

OP seems to fit the spirit of that criteria:).

I just have to say that even with my head being torn off by all of the locals on the forums I still love the show... yes David and Gene I am still loving it. However Schuyler, I disagree what keeps me coming back is that I am hanging on thinking the next show will be awesome. Why do I think this? Because they have done truly great shows. I think you and all of the members who go along with anything should just take a step back instead of being a diode believer. One of the best things that people can receive is criticism, it helps you build character and move forward, so stop trying to worship the hosts and build points, I am sure they want the truth from there huge audience which doesn't consist of just you. And besides with all of the shit in washington right now not many people can afford to do any more than pay there mortgage and electric bill. Gene and Dave keep on rocking, I know you will.

However Schuyler, I disagree what keeps me coming back is that I am hanging on thinking the next show will be awesome. Why do I think this? Because they have done truly great shows. I think you and all of the members who go along with anything should just take a step back instead of being a diode believer.

I must confess I do not know what a 'diode believer' is or what slot you are putting me in, but your statement reminds me of Einstein's definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Sorry Schuyler once again I have stepped on your toes. What is wrong with you? Are you really going to tell me that you never watched or listened to a show thinking it would go back to the way it was?! Come on, listen to yourself you are so caught up in the paracast you can't even see straight. I am sorry to once again post my opinion on the sorry excuse of these "discussion forums".

This is what happens in all circles wether they are "christian" "muslim" or based around "ufo's, there will always be a small wacked out group of freaks exactly like Michael Horn, or the charismatic christian freaks. And you Schuler are is that group here on the paracast infecting every one with your bias drivel.

Sorry Schuyler once again I have stepped on your toes. What is wrong with you? Are you really going to tell me that you never watched or listened to a show thinking it would go back to the way it was?! Come on, listen to yourself you are so caught up in the paracast you can't even see straight. I am sorry to once again post my opinion on the sorry excuse of these "discussion forums".

This is what happens in all circles wether they are "christian" "muslim" or based around "ufo's, there will always be a small wacked out group of freaks exactly like Michael Horn, or the charismatic christian freaks. And you Schuler are is that group here on the paracast infecting every one with your bias drivel.

All I can say to this is, 'What planet are you from?' You say that I am in the same group as Michael Horn AND charismatic christian freaks? In what way? I'm in neither. I think Horn is an idiot and I feel sorry for the charismatic christian freaks. I am 'in' neither. I feel exactly the same way you do about them. My only amazement is that you would put me in the same category.

So out with it, buddy. WTF put the corncob up your ass?

I thought it was obvious that they meant 'doe-eyed', to be fair. Why deliberately pretend you didn't know? - that's what I would call 'unconstructive'.

Thanks, granny. I hadn't figured it out. I was thinking of an led and trying to figure out, wtf is he talking about? So, now I'm a 'doe eyed believer' huh? In what, exactly?

Note: I had a much larger post typed out, but I once again fell victim to the ol' "backspace in a browser also works as the 'BACK' function". I slammed the backspace button and went back about 2hrs worth of Internet browsing.

So, the short version:

@OP: I really don't think there is a trend of anything in the past 4.5 months. I've listed each episode and indicated whether or not it supports your theory or not.

Of the "maybe's" I submit that those eps were covering important historical information anyway. It's not like they do a show like that every week. I guess I could see these shows being less interesting if you actually know everything about that history already. But for most people that isn't the case.

June 14, 2009 -- Dr. David M. Jacobs and Budd Hopkins
-Nope.

June 7, 2009 -- Greg Bishop
-Maybe.

May 31, 2009 -- L.A. Marzulli
-Nope.

May 24, 2009 -- Robert Hastings and Don Ecker
-Yes -- but this stuff is SUPER important as far as understanding the history of the UFO subject. I'd be surprised if anyone interested in the subject didn't want to know about the people and issues discussed in this show.

Not saying it's something I want to listen to all the time... but when you have Hastings and Ecker it's a worthy listen, IMO.

May 17, 2009 -- BrandonD, Dusty, Fahrusha, Schuyler and Skunkape
-Nope.

May 10, 2009 -- Paul Kimball, Greg Bishop and Nicholas Redfern
-Maybe

May 3, 2009 -- Peter Robbins
-Nope.

April 26, 2009 -- Daz Smith
-Nope.

April 19, 2009 -- Paul Kimball and Holly Stevens
-Nope.

April 12, 2009 -- Ed and Kris Sherwood
-Nope.

April 5, 2009 -- Dr. Richard F. Haines
-Nope.

March 29, 2009 -- Robert Hastings, Bruce Fenstermacher, Patrick McDonough and Robert Salas
-Nope.

March 22, 2009 -- Mike Clelland
-Nope.

March 15, 2009 -- George Knapp
-Maybe.

March 8, 2009 -- Don Ecker
-Nope.

March 1, 2009 -- Stephen Bassett
-Nope.

February 22, 2009 -- Richard M. Dolan
-Nope.

February 15, 2009 -- Stan Gordon
-Nope.

February 8, 2009 -- Scott Corrales
-Nope.

February 1, 2009 -- Robert Zubrin and Mac Tonnies
-Nope.

Oh, yeah! I remember. You're the guy who has an airplane! And you see the Crerator in your kid's eyes. Great, and I'M the doe-eyed believer. Uh huh. OK, guy. Rock on.

So Gareth, what's wrong with you? You actually used DATA to refute a claim that the show was moving in a direction claimed by the OP. And on examination of that data you proved the original contention false. There's not even any room for argument here. There's no wiggle room. Case closed. Done deal.

I'm disappointed. You ought to have used innuendo, calls to emotion, mis-direction, clearly false statements, and, above all, attack people directly to make your point. Shame on you!

Just another opinion.

And clearly shown to be a misinformed one, at that - it doesn't jive with the facts. Yes, we sometimes do shows discussing other folks who cover the topics - usually to underscore how certain folks do the field various forms of harm and disservice. Who else does this? Precious few, and it's important, because the noise just won't go away, and someone has to keep putting the BS front and center for all to see, and then subsequently ignore, and then bring back for an extra dunk. People seem to have exceptionally short memories.

As demonstrated in Gareth's post, we do a bare minimum of episodes devoted to personalities in the field. Sometimes that's what we got, not every show can be what you want - certainly, very few ultimately meet my own unrealistic expectations, for example, I was not thrilled with some of my questions to Budd and David, I had all sorts of stuff on my mind that day, and found it a bit difficult to stay focused. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Given our (lack of) budget and staff, I think we do pretty good. If we had real resources, we'd kick some serious ass. Perhaps one day.

Here's an offer: you want us to get a specific guest? OK, track them down, send us an email with some info, and if we decide they'd make a good guest, then offer to take the time and follow through and contact them on our behalf, and if they express interest, we'll take it from there. There are only so many hours in the day, and Gene & are doing other work a lot of the time. I'd love to have folks like Kaku, I emailed his webmaster, went back and forth a few times, and nothing. If everyone reading this goes to his website and sends him an email urging him to come on the show, perhaps we can get him on. Seriously, you want good guests, help us get them, and we'll commit the time to talk to them and make it happen.

We always appreciate feedback, no worries, but if you're going to tell us that we're doing too much of something that we're not, well then, it might make some sense to think before you type.

And for anyone to lump Schuyler in with morons and charlatans, well, there's some serious ignorance at work there. Not like I'm surprised. On the internet, everyone is a doggod. Schulyer has been unreal in his support, in front of and behind the scenes, and as far as I'm concerned, if it was just him listening to this show, that would be enough of a reason to keep doing it, I kid you not.

I've been up since 3AM, I need some sleep, dammit, and I gotta go do Angry Human in 1.5 hours, where I'm gonna talk about Sonia Sotomayer, who as it turns out, I know personally. No kidding.

dB

Yes, we sometimes do shows discussing other folks who cover the topics - usually to underscore how certain folks do the field various forms of harm and disservice. Who else does this? Precious few, and it's important...

Damn straight it's important! It's what gives the paracast it's unique flavour. There are loads of other "impartial" podcasts on the paranormal (impartially is not really the word - more like apathetic to common sense, or unwilling to grill their guests past "wow, that's highly unusual). In my opinion the paracast is a much needed breadth of fresh air. For me personally I find it a really useful guide as to whose credible and whose not.

Sometimes I agree with the grillings, and sometimes not. But it still the one aspect of the show that I find the most valuable.

well, before we all get our panties in a knot, take the first post at face value. I don't like the idea a person cannot ask a question or present their opinion regarding the show's content without it being taken to the extreme of negative meaning.

having said that, when I find an episode I am not particulary interested in, I don't listen to it.

If I were in the business (and I doubt I would be as 1) you need something to back up your idea, such as skill/talent, and 2) it apparently doesn't pay much and probably is a negative cash flow entity...) of podcasting, I think I would prefer the first type of listener, one who offers feedback, or at least feedback that is not just complaining.

And if some of you are so adamant the first post was off the wall and does not relate at all to the last few months' episodes, there is a better way to say that than to jump into the "you are a dick/moron/ignoramus - insert your favourite childish insult here mode".

of course, the above does not apply to posts designed to inflame, in that case, bring out the marshmallows and get the lighter fluid... ;)

I guess I wonder how much faith we have in something if we have to jump down somebody's throat when they put out a negative comment towards it? I may not like hearing negative things about my favourite things, but by and large they will still be my faves, whether or not somebody else likes them. My likes and dislikes can be influenced, but not very easily, not enough so that I have to immediately stomp out a little dissenting spark for fear it becomes a raging fire.

anyway, a long-winded way of saying lighten up a bit, education always gets one further than lecturing, and I need to remember that, too...

fifty cents worth tonight.

Back