• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Christopher O'Brien show

Free episodes:

Poi

Skilled Investigator
Wonderful show all around. If nothing else, it proves how difficult the subject matter is in relation to our every day lives. I think we must have a collective memory, weird as that may be, for mythology which predates us by eons. It's woven into our existence without our understanding sometimes, but I think it important to remember there is nothing new under the sun. Regardless of our technological feats today, human nature isn't so very different from that of the ancients, the original myth makers who created meaning and ritual, memes and archetypes, in living everyday.

For a deeper understanding, I think it helps to hear or read Joseph Campbell. His take on the hero archetype was my introduction to the power of myth and in our power to create lives of meaning and significance. It was with appreciation for his offering that I could move on to Vallee, Keel and now O'Brien. We employ archetypes with nearly every breath yet we do so unaware. Thankfully, there are still remnants, old and new, with which we can find evidence of a force that can help us adapt to change. I like to think of the Trickster as an adjunct to, or an instigator for movement toward archetypal behaviors in the face of challenges.

Moyers and Campbell start out slow, but Campbell charms an audience through six episodes of the interview. He, like no other, can plant the historical importance of our myth making. It takes others to expand on the subject to encompass the truly puzzling aspects of the more questionable characters in modern mythology and I think Chris has done an admirable job. (Still reading the book because I haven't had much time.)

As to the dark archetypes such as the Skinwalker, I think I've met him in my dreams, those dreams that are vivid and impossible to ever forget. Thank God, they're few in number and I've never had to face him in 3D. I admire your saying as much, David. But I take your experiences in a positive vein even if you can't. Maybe that you mention it is good enough for others here to avoid contact and interaction should they ever be faced with a similar experience. It sure helped me!

There are Tricksterish things that go on in my house often enough and they're meant for me because no one else sees or hears. I can be in a room with a family member and hear knocking in cabinets right by my son. He hasn't reacted nor have my other family members. Knocking seems to ratchet up when I'm alone though. None of it happens often, however, usually when I'm in the throes of changes in my thinking or trying to widen my view. I never had a name for it before Vallee.

Kudos for tackling a convoluted subject, Chris. I look forward to the next book. Kudos to Dave and Gene for asking the probing questions so that we get to the meat of the difficulty in accepting. Stayed up way too late for this, but it was worth the lost sleep.

I think that our interaction with changes in the mass unconsciousness produce things that could be called the trickster. The trickster is a by-product of change rather than change being an element of the trickster. The trickster is our way of understanding this new change, and it is pulled from the mass unconsciousness of humanity. Invariably it takes the shape of the unknown within a society. In doing so it introduces a paradigm but is also reflective of society. It's like, when a child is born, many of the genes of its parents are transfered to it. Perhaps the same can be said with cultural ideas. Or perhaps it's simply the way you're brought up within a society. Perhaps we only are born with very primordial archetypes which are latent, and society gives them form through the myths and relations that we deem to be 'natural' or 'good'. This primordial archetype could start out very simply, like good vs evil, ie. I'm hungry. no food. that's bad. wa wa wa. Then we develope and and other modes of behaviour or ways of being are introduced which can explain things and show us an appropriate way to act in a certain situation. And then, finally, you come to the unknown. Now, what is unknown? The future. Things which are likely (such as life on other planets) but which are not definite. And what is the appropriate way to act in such circumstances (well, at least in a patriachal society, as our myths tell us there will be consequences if we look in the box or eat the apple)? The appropriate reaction is fear.

I think that as we go from one state to another on our evolutionery and cultural path, we enter into ambiguous stages when current modes of understanding and being no longer seem to apply. This is when the mechanism known as the trickster comes into play. I think it may come from the collective unconsciousness, manifested from man in the collective sense, but, being a trickster, wild and independent - uncontrolable. Jung says of the trickster that the scariest thing about it is that it is unconscious. It is inexplicable, below the surface, and subvertive. Rather than being the agent of change, however, I think it is the herald for change. Even in mythology, angels usually come with messages or precede a great change. Wise men used to see such beings as 'signs'. It is like an understanding that we all have of everything around us, the connection with all life that is so deep that we cannot comprehend it consciously or rationally. But it can manifest at the edge of human experience.

Or something like that:rolleyes: I love the idea, and I'm definitly going to buy Chris' book. There are still a lot of unknowns, and I definitly take David's point that the physical side of the phenonemon defies explanation. Perhaps, but perhaps these things happen on a level which is the place where mind and matter meet. And perhaps we have no conscious understanding of this state - therefore it is unconscious and also timeless to a certain extent - a formless state just below the surface of the experiences of every living thing.

I liked the show too, though I felt that David didn't really get it. Don't get my wrong, David's skeptical questioning is one of the things I love about the show. But in this case I think David was being too literal.

At the same time, Christopher O'Brien maybe wasn't quite explaining well enough. David was right in that Christopher was using language that was all over the map: "energy," "phenomenon," "paranormal," "trickster," "entity," "process," "myth," etc.

At the same time, I do get what Christopher was referring to. He was referring to what in modern occult thought is sometimes called a "current." A current is both none and all of the above; it's an over-arching pattern. A tornado consists of whirling carbon dioxide, nitrogen, oxygen, methane, ethane, trace gases, wood splinters, and the occasional car, cow, or house, yet a tornado is both none of the above and all of the above. A current is like a tornado.

This type of thinking is very "right brain."

The trickster reminds me of a comment by the nutty but occasionally brilliant Whitley Streiber. In this he was referring to the "entities" that supposedly visited him... very trickster-like. He said "maybe this is what evolution looks like to a conscious mind."

I think "a storm with many currents," one of which is the trickster, is very much what evolution looks like to a conscious mind.

Listening to this episode of The Paracast made me recall an old episode of Unsolved Mysteries, where a retired couple were interviewed who had been tormented by a Trickster Spirit. It wasn't a "Ghost" in the traditional sense. It would do all sorts of tricksterish things.

For example, the wife had a bell in her room that she would ring whenever she needed her husband. Many times, the husband would hear the bell ring, go upstairs, and find her asleep, and realize that she didn't ring it. One time, after he had gone up there to check on her after hearing the bell, and realizing he had been tricked again, he checked out the bell, put it down, and just as he was walking out the door, it RANG AGAIN, right behind him. They even decided to make it ring a certain number of times, coded, so he would know it was her, and not the Trickster, and the bell would RING THEIR SECRET CODED RING anyway, and still trick him.

They would hear his power tools in the hallway going off, drilling, etc, and when they'd check, the power tools were cold, and unplugged. Coins would drop into a bowl in a room. All sorts of odd stuff.

The wife saw a middle aged man walk passed her in the hall one day and disappear. She felt this entity tug on her blouse on another occasion, etc.

The whole case just screams of Trickster to me, rather than "Ghost". The host seems to favor a Poltergeist explanation, and the Parapsychologist seems to favor a residual haunting explanation, but it seems more pure Trickster to me. The woman in the segment even stated that the nature of this entity was like a teaser, like it was teasing them. Here is the segment ...

I had a hard time understanding everything been said. But Chris is right on the money with his theory about Shapeshifters. They have been spoke of, wrote about in myths and legends of different cultures and subcultures for hundreds or even thousands of years. What does it mean, well it might just mean one entity, or many entities have the ability to change form to animals or bird or something else.My own culture has tales of shapeshifters/ they where fairys of the Tuatha de Dannann. I have wrote about it in the past, so will not bore you again.
Is any of this true? I think we have to pay attention to the fact this was laid out long ago and today, present day. Ordinary people are seeing the very same thing that are ancestors spoke about.

Ordinary people are seeing the very same thing that are ancestors spoke about.

I believe it's just as possible that there's a mundane, almost boring, explanation that cultural anthropology could explain with no paranormal elements at all. My opinion would change a little if I actually saw one of these little people though.

About the episode, it seems a bunch of talk about something other people have already written about. Of course I'd have to read the book to really get the author's aim here, but it seems like mentioning a real world person like Bernie Madoff in a discussion about paranormal beings just dilutes the topic. Is he trying to expand the term "trickster" to include all applications of the term "deception" as well?

David always asks good questions, but they were particularly good on this episode.

I believe it's just as possible that there's a mundane, almost boring, explanation that cultural anthropology could explain with no paranormal elements at all. My opinion would change a little if I actually saw one of these little people though.

About the episode, it seems a bunch of talk about something other people have already written about. Of course I'd have to read the book to really get the author's aim here, but it seems like mentioning a real world person like Bernie Madoff in a discussion about paranormal beings just dilutes the topic. Is he trying to expand the term "trickster" to include all applications of the term "deception" as well?

David always asks good questions, but they were particularly good on this episode.

Well that is the problem not everyone does. Your view would probably change if you saw something like that. Personally i have never seen beings that i have any clear memory of, i do have a memory of when i was four of something shadowy near my bed. But that could be anything.

:) It was a very enjoyable show. I wish there had been more time for Christopher O'Brien to have gone into his theories in greater detail - which can be remedied, I'm sure, by purchasing his book . . . His theories, to say the least, are very provocative, & I've given much thought to what O'Brien said since listening to the podcast . . . Even if I may not subscribe to all of his conclusions, they are what make the field of paranormal studies so fun . . . :D

Of course I'd have to read the book to really get the author's aim here, but it seems like mentioning a real world person like Bernie Madoff in a discussion about paranormal beings just dilutes the topic. Is he trying to expand the term "trickster" to include all applications of the term "deception" as well?

:) I was a little uncomfortable with the Madoff reference, though I think I know what O'Brien was saying . . . But when I think of Hitler leading Germany into the abyss, I remember reading accounts of the Nuremberg Rallies, where witnesses who were appalled by the totalitarianism of the Nazi state, were nevertheless mesmerized by Hitler's orations, much against their wills . . . It's easy to see why the psychopaths & sociopaths were enamored by Hitler, along with the opportunists who wanted to see Germany rise to its former glory that they believe was stolen from them by the "backstabbers" at Versailles . . . It's also easy to see people quietly acquiescing to the Nazi thugs, as Germany was trying to recover from the terrible economic disruption & political turmoil of the 1920s. Of course, there was the real fear of imprisonment & execution as Hitler came to power, as well . . . But there is a collective insanity that is quite evident at Nuremberg, that just drips of sublime & palpable evil . . . :eek:

:) I was a little uncomfortable with the Madoff reference, though I think I know what O'Brien was saying . . . But when I think of Hitler leading Germany into the abyss, I remember reading accounts of the Nuremberg Rallies, where witnesses who were appalled by the totalitarianism of the Nazi state, were nevertheless mesmerized by Hitler's orations, much against their wills . . . It's easy to see why the psychopaths & sociopaths were enamored by Hitler, along with the opportunists who wanted to see Germany rise to its former glory that they believe was stolen from them by the "backstabbers" at Versailles . . . It's also easy to see people quietly acquiescing to the Nazi thugs, as Germany was trying to recover from the terrible economic disruption & political turmoil of the 1920s. Of course, there was the real fear of imprisonment & execution as Hitler came to power, as well . . . But there is a collective insanity that is quite evident at Nuremberg, that just drips of sublime & palpable evil . . . :eek:

My uncle was a psychologist and taught at a major university. His students would work internships at the university hospital's psychiatric ward.

He told me once about how he would have to work hard to prepare his students to face the manics and the psychopaths. Even after telling them to steel themselves, some students would actually fall momentarily under their sway and start to believe their delusions just a little bit.

He was an atheist too, and told me once: "I am absolutely convinced that every major religion was founded by a delusional manic or a psychopath."

I have been in the presence and have even worked with such people before. It can be physically hard to disagree with them when in their presence. If you find yourself in such a situation, the best option is to remove yourself.

You can learn to ignore them though with practice. I think that to some extent the whole Nazi experience taught our society at large to ignore demagogues with uncannily convincing speeches. In that respect, I can see how on some cosmic "meta" level you could see Hitler as a teacher. He taught us to ignore people like him.

My uncle was a psychologist and taught at a major university.

:cool: That's an interesting insight about your uncle . . . The thing about Germany, as I'm sure that you're aware of, though, is that Nuremberg wasn't the end of the delusion, but just the beginning - & we all know how the story ended . . . When I was writing my master's thesis, I attended an evangelic church (African American, in this case), & I certainly felt drawn into the service & what was going on around me. The services that I attended were very positive & affirming, which was surely facilitated by the pastor of the church, who sang & preached up a storm. I never felt out of control of my senses, though some people around me were in what is called a religious ecstacy . . . At Nuremberg, it seems people were out of control on a massive scale, & that was surely facilitated by Hitler's oratory skills . . . But the most frightening thing about Hitler for me, isn't the fact that he told people what they wanted to hear (which is certainly scary), but that those people who found his virulent nationalism to be repellant, found themselves entranced nevertheless . . . When the Rallies were over, the people of Germany - the vast majority of whom were normal, rational people - cold-bloodedly supported a regime that murdered millions of people . . . :frown:

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so I may be repeating previous thoughts.
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this show.
I always enjoy hearing from Chris he's obviously worked very hard at all his investigations, research and writing and though he was well able to deal with the questions lucidly and from a well informed perspective, his own admission of the fact that he may be wrong is a great quality imo.

Personally I think there is something to what he had to say about the "Trickster" being
a necessary part of any system, but I think all the questions needed to be asked and
asked again to help clarify the whole concept. I look forward to hearing more from Chris and want to wish him well, I think he's a good guy and luckily I think, he has just the right formula in his personality and proffesionalism to really make a difference to the way these topics are both dealt with and discussed.

Brilliant,

Mark

It must be hard to find someone/something interesting to talk about that can add to our understanding of this subject every week for 2 solid hours. Gene and David are doing very well though.
I could see Christophers holistic viewpoint in that his approach may be needed to add something extra to the ways of thinking needed to maybe gain insight of this realm further down the line. He may be correct.
I have to say though i sort of side with David in that at this point, i am pretty much seeing a recurring theme in this field. There is hardly any real progress being made in understanding the complexities of reality, so more obscure avenues become explored which i think people then become too obsessed about and then start to throw everything into their little basket.

I know a lot of people have time for the 'trickster' theory but i kind of don't. I think it is just another stab in the dark to try and find some sort of answer. If you spent enough time looking for any type of evidence to explain such things as the paranormal or reality i'm sure you would find enough evidence to make a decent case whatever it may be.
However, maybe i am wrong and we need to explore every avenue fully to come to some sort of chink of light, no-matter how obscure, i don't know.

I was intrigued to hear about the buddhist Christopher mentioned i think his name is Rinpoche? Does anyone know how to find the video of this man making things appear? Does it even exist?
I would be grateful if anyone with greater knowledge of this field than me would be kind enough to point me in the direction of any other compelling people or info that hasn't appeared on the show as the more i dig into this area the more crazy people i find and its starting to make me very disillusioned.

I recently watched a Duncan O'Finioan video and it made me want to quit this subject and take some asprin.
I am taking time out from degree level systems study and writing my own music for my band so wasting my time with this poop was extremely depressing.
'4th generation Terminators made to destroy the USA, aliens training super psychic humans', what a total load of donkey shit. I found out he is being paid a large sum for the rights to a movie. Go figure! (By the way, if it does turn out to be true, Duncan i was only joking and please dont hurt me!)

The timeline of the charlatan goes something like this:

1. Somehow loses a position of authority or loses their way in life or goes bankrupt.
2. Gets back at employer of tries to redeem some shred of respect or life worth by fabricating a story.
3. Tells story to bunch of lonely people who would believe Magic Monkey is a documentry.
4. Starts doing conferences and makes a name for themselves in crazy land.
5. Starts selling books and making money.
6. Embellishes story further.
7. Gets ripped to shreds by Gene and Dave.
8. We all laugh.

Anyway i am off to Asia at the wknd so if i see anything anomalous i will take photos and report back in two weeks.

May the horse be with you. (Wow, that wasn't even funny).

I enjoyed the show, but I feel he was trying to shoehorn too many things into the Trickster category.

The term "trickster" makes me think more about a "force" that manifests in different forms, and interacts with humans. That might be the same as a leprechaun, etc., but I don't see it has someone like Hitler. Humans seem like they can be pretty evil on their own. I haven't decided if I buy into evil as a force that makes people do bad things.

There may very well be many different things that interact with us, and we clump those together as "supernatural" or "paranormal", but that doesn't make them all the same.

The trickster might be one of these things.

I enjoyed the show, but I feel he was trying to shoehorn too many things into the Trickster category.

The term "trickster" makes me think more about a "force" that manifests in different forms, and interacts with humans. That might be the same as a leprechaun, etc., but I don't see it has someone like Hitler. Humans seem like they can be pretty evil on their own. I haven't decided if I buy into evil as a force that makes people do bad things.

There may very well be many different things that interact with us, and we clump those together as "supernatural" or "paranormal", but that doesn't make them all the same.

The trickster might be one of these things.

The leprechaun is a funny tale and it seems the tale was more prominent when the Irish emigrated to America in 1800's and the late 1800s. There was a famine here in 1840's and almost third of the Irish population died from starvation.Most of the Irish sailed to America and lot of Irish men and women died on those ships, they where sometimes called coffin ships.Some historians have suggested if the famine had not occurred or population would be probably be over 20 million and not the 5 million it is today.

The leprechaun is probably just a tale maybe there is more to it then we currently understand. In Irish myths, the leprechaun is just one tale of something otherworldly, of hand i could tell you about ten different other descriptions of beings or entities. Some of those other tales have tricks or play acting happening within the story and according to the tales some of the beings where good and some where bad.

Not to put down Americans. The leprechaun myth is used to sell things to American tourists when they arrive here in Ireland. It Terrible you find it mainly at Irish Airports, The selling of dolls and stuff like that.

If there is something to all the tales of beings and spaceships. In my opinion and i have no prove, my belief is they could be hiding among us, underground or in the oceans. Or maybe they living in some other space beside us and is of yet not fully understood.

Not to put down Americans. The leprechaun myth is used to sell things to American tourists when they arrive here in Ireland. It Terrible you find it mainly at Irish Airports, The selling of dolls and stuff like that.

I'm sure that's true of any tourist area and their local customs. I'm part Irish myself. According to Wikipedia, the earliest known reference to the leprechaun appears in the medieval tale known as the Echtra Fergus mac Léti.

My point in bringing up leprechauns is humans have a rich history of interactions with non humans, and these are often in the form of a smallish being. What ever you what to call them, it's all the same thing. They are all some form of faerie, gnome, troll, sprite, etc. And they often play tricks on humans. Other Irish folklore includes the far darrig and clurichaun.

If there is something to all the tales of beings and spaceships. In my opinion and i have no prove, my belief is they could be hiding among us, underground or in the oceans. Or maybe they living in some other space beside us and is of yet not fully understood.

Yes, I think I agree about the "hidden" space they are existing in. I'm not sure they are aliens in spaceships. I think they look like aliens in spaceships. But before we believed in aliens and even knew what a space ship is, people reported beings and odd things in the sky. The reports haven't changed much, including the occasional abduction. Faeries used to abduct people as well. We just gave them a new name and appearance.

There is also a long history of the idea that they are from a "hidden" realm. Celtic traditions include places like Mag Mell, Emain Ablach, and the Tir na nóg.

Now compare that to other myths, such as the Djinn. The Arabic root JNN means "hidden, concealed". The Djinn are shape shifters, and often take on the form of a black dog or cat, but they also appear in human form. They are known to harass and play tricks on humans. We used to have a phantom black cat in the house where I grew up. Lots of people would see it.

The interesting thing is that the old myths say these creatures occupy a parallel world to ours. And this is becoming a common idea as to the origin of things like UFOs.

Now as far as there being something to these tales of beings and spaceships... I've seen strange creatures associated with a landed disk. Six other people were with me at the time. They didn't look like "grays", but aren't that uncommon either (small black hairy entities with large glowing green eyes). Two of my friends whom I am still in contact with also saw these beings (one was with me the first time, and another saw one a couple of years later). Another ex girlfriend also saw one. They were also always seen by a brook, and under a bridge, which sounds like the old troll tales.

One of these friends also had an encounter with a small gnome like creature with a long beard when he was younger. His young nephew also reported seeing a small man with a beard in the same house years later. The other friend had a string of encounters with a strange phantom black dog, and she also saw a glowing orange "orb" with her mom and a neighbor when she was younger. Lots of strange stuff!

So there seems to be something going on that is not much different from the old tales.

Of course these comparisons are not new, and Dr. Jacques Vallee pointed this out back in 1969 with his book Passport to Magonia, as well as Messengers of Deception.

One interesting thing I have been noticing is that different cultures have their own paranormal entities. My grandmother was from Ireland. My dad used to tell me stories of the Banshee. He said his mother used to hear it, and he did too when he was young. And he continued to know when people had died via a series of dreams. My friend mentioned above that was seeing the phantom dog, her mother was from Ireland, and once again, the Banshee seems to have followed her to the US. Then you have other localized phenomenon like el chupacabra, etc.

So it seems where ever you go, there are local legends with this odd stuff.

Back