• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Calvine Photo

There is loads of other answers from government experiments too people mistaken memories.
Nonsense. KDR and others have exhaustively investigated every conceivable prosaic explanation (flying wing, v-rocket, balloon bomb etc) and none of them work. For many years the skeptics clung to mogul for precisely that reason--yet not even that works!

People who believe in the ETH theory are not only what's wrong with ufoology they are what's wrong with the world.
They are people of sub normal intelligence who should not be even given a platform.
Absurd, and smacks of trolling. What you wrote really applies to those who reject the most parsimonious explanation, by far.

Nonsense. KDR and others have exhaustively investigated every conceivable prosaic explanation (flying wing, v-rocket, balloon bomb etc) and none of them work. For many years the skeptics clung to mogul for precisely that reason--yet not even that works!

Absurd, and smacks of trolling. What you wrote really applies to those who reject the most parsimonious explanation, by far.
Trolling??? You obviously don't even have the intelligence to know what the word Trolling means. If anyone is trolling it is you. I would point out it was you who replied to my comments. However, I am going to solve your problem because I am going to block you.

Trolling??? You obviously don't even have the intelligence to know what the word Trolling means.
Your views on the ETH are an egregious example. So ill-informed and unreasonable it's hard to believe they're anything else..

If anyone is trolling it is you. I would point out it was you who replied to my comments.
Replying is not trolling...

However, I am going to solve your problem because I am going to block you.
Lol....can't bear to hear the truth, about the phenomenon or yourself.

Calm down! For goodness sake, everyone can believe just what they want to believe when it comes to the infamous Calvine UFO photograph, though I suggest it is neither an alien spacecraft nor the alleged secret US “Aurora” aircraft. I certainly think the suggestion that the Calvine UFO photograph of August 1990 published in the Daily Mail of 13/08/2022 shows a top secret US reconnaissance aircraft (possibly the supposed ‘Aurora’ spy plane) is almost certainly wrong.

The photograph of the UFO, plus a jet fighter (which appears to be a RAF Tornado) and the leaves and twigs of a tree from below which the photo was evidently taken is uncannily similar to another such UFO photo from the same era. That picture was undoubtedly a fake and was taken in Puerto Rico by a man known to UFO researcher Jorge Martin. The UFO in that one was a small disk-shaped model hanging from an unseen branch of a tree by an invisible thread. The photographer hung the model from the tree and waited until a US jet fighter plane (possibly an A-4 Skyhawk?) flew across that part of the sky roughly in line with the model and snapped both in the same frame. It probably took some patience and quite a few shots to get a photo with the desired juxtaposition.

It seems likely that the two anonymous young men at Calvine did very much the same to produce their fake UFO picture. The fact that a UK MoD official suppressed publication of the Calvine UFO photograph for many years and withheld the names of the two men was probably because he actually believed them and thought it could well have been a secret US aircraft the identity of which should be protected, maybe with a D-Notice. Perhaps the two UFO hoaxers in Scotland had previously seen the faked UFO picture from Puerto Rico and thought that they could produce something equally good!

* That UFO hoax photo in Puerto Rico was taken by someone with a name like “Winston Samosa” but there doesn’t appear to be any sign of it on the internet now, some 30-odd years on.

The photograph of the UFO, plus a jet fighter (which appears to be a RAF Tornado) and the leaves and twigs of a tree from below which the photo was evidently taken is uncannily similar to another such UFO photo from the same era. That picture was undoubtedly a fake and was taken in Puerto Rico by a man known to UFO researcher Jorge Martin. The UFO in that one was a small disk-shaped model hanging from an unseen branch of a tree by an invisible thread. The photographer hung the model from the tree and waited until a US jet fighter plane (possibly an A-4 Skyhawk?) flew across that part of the sky...
The photographer confessed to a hoax? Or, if researchers determined it was fake, how did they do so? Sometimes they detect evidence of "supporting structures" but if the thread was "invisible" ….

The fact that a UK MoD official suppressed publication of the Calvine UFO photograph for many years and withheld the names of the two men was probably because he actually believed them and thought it could well have been a secret US aircraft the identity of which should be protected, maybe with a D-Notice.
Surely a MoD official could've consulted a colleague from the US or someone in the UK in the know.

So this is to me not so convincing photo is it a hoax or what?

If someone claims that a diamond-shaped furball is the fabled "Aurora" I don't give that much a thought. It does not look like human made. (or maybe children made, for a hoax)

I also realized there is also a weird swedish UFO book from the 70's in my parents library, that had quite pictures. Have to dig that out.

So this is to me not so convincing photo is it a hoax or what?

If someone claims that a diamond-shaped furball is the fabled "Aurora" I don't give that much a thought. It does not look like human made. (or maybe children made, for a hoax)

I also realized there is also a weird swedish UFO book from the 70's in my parents library, that had quite pictures. Have to dig that out.
Well maybe not the Aurora and definitely a UFO in the truest sense of that meaning I just think it's from another Planet.

Maybe it's time to repost the links to the original story, since the photograph at the heart of this thread is already being overlooked.

David Clarke's blog, who has been on this case for years and who located the photo under discussion:

Then there's a video discussion with Clarke and other clued-up researchers in this case here, with reliable links in the description to other aspects of the story.

If you can get past the presentation style of Professor Simon, (not a professor, but a science journalist and documentary maker for the BBC, Channel 4 amongst others) he has a series of videos adding to them as new info comes to light. Part one here:

It's tempting to speculate when a new story breaks, or an old story has a significant development, but it really helps if you have time to watch the videos or read Clarke's blog. Always go to original sources first.

The so-called “Calvine UFO” looks to me like a small piece of wood (or something) that has been suspended from the branch of a tree above which is not seen in the frame of the picture. It is clearly stationary and it is quite close to the camera. Its position in the sky looks similar to that of some of Billy Meier’s fake UFO photos taken in Switzerland during the 1970s. His UFO models were hung on fine threads from trees and against a bright sky these threads were invisible on the photographic prints which he produced and sold to UFO enthusiasts. Despite some photographic experts insisting that such threads would be detectable on any such print, that simply wasn’t true.

As regards the possibility of the Calvine UFO being an Aurora spy plane, no US spy plane has ever been capable of hovering in a stationary position or has there ever been any requirement for that. Every known US spy plane —such as the Lockheed SR-71 or the A-12 Oxcart— has operated at high supersonic speed and at high altitudes. I think that David Clarke’s recent article on the Calvine UFO in the Daily Mail suggesting the photo showed an Aurora spy plane was merely the result of the newspaper wanting a sensational piece of journalism!

The so-called “Calvine UFO” looks to me like a small piece of wood (or something) that has been suspended from the branch of a tree above which is not seen in the frame of the picture. It is clearly stationary and it is quite close to the camera. Its position in the sky looks similar to that of some of Billy Meier’s fake UFO photos taken in Switzerland during the 1970s. His UFO models were hung on fine threads from trees and against a bright sky these threads were invisible on the photographic prints which he produced and sold to UFO enthusiasts. Despite some photographic experts insisting that such threads would be detectable on any such print, that simply wasn’t true.

As regards the possibility of the Calvine UFO being an Aurora spy plane, no US spy plane has ever been capable of hovering in a stationary position or has there ever been any requirement for that. Every known US spy plane —such as the Lockheed SR-71 or the A-12 Oxcart— has operated at high supersonic speed and at high altitudes. I think that David Clarke’s recent article on the Calvine UFO in the Daily Mail suggesting the photo showed an Aurora spy plane was merely the result of the newspaper wanting a sensational piece of journalism!
Yes I agree with all you say but still not a craft from another planet.

The so-called “Calvine UFO” looks to me like a small piece of wood (or something) that has been suspended from the branch of a tree above which is not seen in the frame of the picture. It is clearly stationary and it is quite close to the camera.

Yes, possibly. But have another read of the photo analysis in the links of the Clarke discussion video here: Analysis Redacted V2.pdf

If the other five photos came to light and/or the negatives, I think we could put this case to bed. But they haven't - yet.

Very convincing photographic analysis, the object seems to be where it should be and not a small model close to camera.

I don`t think it`s an experimental craft.

The witnesses in the Mirror article said that it "quickly shot up into the sky before vanishing", such a large object and maneuvers like that, often described in other UFO cases would exclude that explanation.
Around the same time as the Calvine incident occured we had the Belgian triangular UFO wave, where F-16 jets chased objects which were simultaneously tracked by both airborne and ground radars with enormous accelerations in just seconds.

I think Cash-Landrum was some sort of experimential, possible a nuclear powered craft, but not this one.

Last edited:
The Sheffield Hallam University photo analysis is good but it does not exclude my suggestion that the UFO is a conventional object suspended at a distance in front of the camera much nearer than the jet aircraft seen in the sky behind. The fact that the two men who supposedly took the Calvine UFO photograph have always remained anonymous is suspicious in the extreme and the photo therefore has little evidential value as regards the claim that it was either a “genuine” alien UFO or else a secret US spy plane.

Other claims that the December 1980 Rendlesham Forest UFO and the Cash-Landrum UFO (that was seen in Texas just a few days later) were alien UFOs are similarly unsubstantiated. Both these unidentified craft were undoubtedly physical objects that witnesses observed and, until recently, there has been much controversy over what they actually were. In my new book The Rendlesham Forest UFO Mystery and Project Honey Badger (which is being published now and should be available in the UK and the US in about a month’s time) these objects are identified and also the reasons why they were required by the US military.

Back