• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The 'Box' is back: The Possession

Please please no more 'Deal or no deal' !! It is the absolute mostest shitest tv possible. I hate it and Edmonds with a passion!
In fact I hate most gameshows. Apart from that Japanese classic 'Endurance' - if you don't know about it, go have a look. You won't be disappointed.

For anyone interested:

I just got home after spending the evening with Jason Haxton, the owner of the Dibbuk Box and the author of it's history.

Jason was a gentleman, good company and very interesting to listen to. It really was a great experience, watching the movie with Jason after us meeting from a weird coincidence.

I managed to persuade the manager of the movie theatre to stump up 3 tickets for free - and they got the chance to take a photo with Jason with the book, perhaps they might do a story for their in-house magazine. The manager was most interested in both the story of the box and the story of our meeting. It's not every day a cinema opens a movie based on the book and object from someone in the audience (well, not in Aberdeen, we are hardly a place were movie premiere's happen!)
She made a little fuss over Jason and the two of us and a friend of mine enjoyed the movie and then went to the pub for a drink and to talk over the real events, not the Hollywood script.

For sometime I have been ill of late and feeling pretty rough so I was more than happy to inform Jason that our little evening together has been a fantastic tonic for me and left me with some great memories and also a wealth of information few people will hear in such detail and clarity from the source.

For Radiohead lovers - Jason had come to Aberdeen from Oxford, England, where he is good friends and a colleague of the man who's son is the guitarist from Radiohead.
It really seems Jason's life has been far more charmed overall than anything negative because of the box. From his opinions I no longer even suspect this item is evil. Maybe like a gun, you can use one to feed a family or kill a family. Perhaps the box is like that but the best theory is that it has been on an odyssey to piece together a tale encompassing many decades, countries and millions of lives.

There is more to the box story that is simply staggering in it's revelations and amazing coincidences regarding Hitler and the Holocaust with the early eugenics programmes/laws introduced for the first time worldwide by the USA!

The movie itself has a well-paced and shot interesting take on the real aspects of the case. In many ways it does not resemble reality at all and in others it is fantastic. For instance, minor parts of the lore were re-done in new situations so you could see where it was taken from in reality but used by the scriptwriter in a novel fashion.
As an exorcism-based horror, it excels IMO. At no point whatsoever is the movie boring making you clock-watch til the end etc, no it kept me enthralled all the way through - though, admittedly, I was such a fan of the real story anyway for years, that I was kinda destined to like the movie anyway!

Thanks for the update goggs! I plan to meet with Jason and the MU guys when they all come to Minneapolis.

Good on you Goggs, i think you were destined to hook up with the possessor of the box as well.

Thanks for the update goggsmackay, i knew when Friday rolled around we would hear a great story. Glad to hear you all had a great time and made a splash in your little town.Haven't seen the movie yet so your take is an interesting read on it.
Jason an extremely generous guy and the knowledge he has well, like i said before he is the "Loremaster" on this topic.
Right now I'm savoring the book and the paranormal witness episode, which for that series is really quite good, more on that later.

And Jason was most kind gifting me a dedicated first-print copy of his book, 'The Dibbuk Box', too. Not only a book I am dying to read but a nice memento of the evening.

Ward - as expected the movie plot is a very changed, condensed take on the story but important elements were not. If one knew nothing of the box, you would still enjoy a great-paced thriller/horror.

Pixel - did anyone answer as to whether you can get a press pass for the thingy event in Minneapolis?

I found out that Jason still, and more now, receives and replies to many, many emails on the subject - and he is absolutely not in this for any gain other than answers and ploughed the majority of his fee into an orphanage in Vietnam - where his sister lives and helps with.

There aren't too many people in the world who do things like that instead of dreaming of a mid-life crisis sports car etc. No, he has consciously decided only to profit in as much as expenses and suchlike.
There are so many men in the world that would have just gone to get a dream car or whatever but Jason seems a very upfront and honest man and his attitude comes through and tells you this thing, the box, if it really has power then it has found it's way to someone it knows can tame it a little and not be morally corrupted by owning it.

It has the correct man as a keeper.

I have decided to record the following just in case it happens again!

Whilst reading the copy of 'The Dibbuk Box', the box from the same hand that touches the box(!), the ambient light from outside had gotten dim enough for me to get up and switch on the wall light in the bedroom. I switched on the light then sat down and realised the light had not gone on and it is one of those low-energy long-lasting jobs.
Anyway, I immediately jokingly thought about the lore story of lightbulbs going. I figured I would go and switch the switch a few times, knowing low-energy bulbs sometimes need to warm up. As I stood up to pass beneath the light on my way to the switch, the light spontaneously went on. I did get a bit of a start and allowed my imagination to run wild. My hands are a bit wobbly with the nervy-ness of even thinking about something actually paranormal happening!

I continued to the switch to check it and turned it on and off and it behaved normally, which it did. Then I thought, 'hold on, the light had not been on and maybe did just do a warm-up pause before lighting thing'. But then I thought back and tried to remember if it did do that usually or not. It doesn't now that I think of it. It's pretty quick - usually almost instantaneous.

So all that has happened is my low-energy bulb took longer to come on than usual and happened to succeed as I got up to check with the switch. Nothing perfectly explainable and normal to expect, has happened but considering the mind-set I was in, being immersed in the details of the current owner's first contact with the box. He actually investigated to see if the box was contaminated with a poison, such as mercury or cyanide. Negative results.

I don't mind admitting for just a few seconds I was like.....wait a minute....then cold hard reasoning returned and nothing that cannot be easily explained happened. Perhaps this is just a perfect example of expectations - go to a haunted castle alone at night and see if you start hearing things!

It's a good thing I don't really get scary dreams, not in the classic sense anyway..

"...
I don't mind admitting for just a few seconds I was like.....wait a minute....then cold hard reasoning returned and nothing that cannot be easily explained happened. Perhaps this is just a perfect example of expectations - go to a haunted castle alone at night and see if you start hearing things!.."

one night, a couple of years back, i was listening to a podcast about a haunting or poltergeist or something and some of the related effects, sounds, noises etc. and it got to a point in the narration in the story where the narrarator mentioned that lights would go on or off suddenly, at that very second i just happened to look up and see the light in the bathroom (whose door was open) blow out. As god as my witness, i thought i was going to have a heart attack right then and there and IF the light had gone back on , i'm sure i would have carried through with one.

SyFy's "Paranormal Witness" did a great job documenting the experiences regarding this box. I was familiar with some of the story, but hadn't realized all the problems so many previous owners encountered during their keep of the box.

Thanks man. I did hear something about such a show but when I looked a few weeks back it wasn't yet available.
The current owner of the box, Jason Haxton made the movie deal on the understanding he had the rights to a book and a documentary. So sometime expect a documentary covering the actual story with the input of the main man himself.

The movie is OK as a standard Hollywood treatment but I think the real story is infinitely scarier and more interesting. Because the movie did well at the box office, the producer, Sam Raimi (of spiderman and evil dead fame) is already talking about a sequel. It would be nice if a sequel used lots of real events from the box's history as material for the script.

I shall have a look for this SyFy one now though, thanks.

Goggs

That was pretty good and the real story is the one that freaks me out and the power of the story is also the same every time I go over it in my mind - it does seem to be a genuinely perplexing phenomena going on - even if is all coincidence and psychosomatic effects there is undoubtedly an associated phenomena around the belief that a kind of curse is real. Does believing in a curse make it real (any negative outcomes can be rightly or wrongly attributed to the curse)? Is it a self-perpetuating entity of negative energy?
I find it fascinating that these events always seem to extract their payment by taking energy from objects and areas, making it cold, making batteries drain and EM waves being damped down?

Back