• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The 'Box' is back: The Possession

Goggs Mackay

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you already well versed in dibbuk box lore, you will know the movie 'The Possession' is coming out - a story based on the true events.

Was listening to today's episode of 'Mysterious Universe' (a podcast), I learned that there had been some more classic box 'events'. Some pertaining to the 'custodian' of the box and some to the making of the movie. If you've ever heard the urban legend/true story of bad things happening whilst 'The Exorcist' was being made, then you get the idea about the making of The Possession.
One particular incident was really terrible but of course, the things the box does can be passed off by chance. But some of us know not to assume anything about that box!

There was a bit much for me to relate but it's easy enough to check out the episode. If you are a fan/follower of the dibbuk box story, then hearing all this new stuff is an absolute must. This box constantly freaks me out even though there may be nothing weird going on at all. People are just associating bad luck with the box when in fact, bad luck things happen anyway, regardless of the existence of the dibbuk box.

So that is the scientific, logical reasoning disclaimer bit over; now guys/gals, we know full well this thing has real power! The guy who keeps it relates stuff that only happens when he interacts with the box. For months and months when he has nothing to do with it, life is fine and normal. But as soon as he takes the thing out, bad shit happens. And the bad shit went quite far afield this time, compared to before. The box is like a serial killer who is escalating with experience. Jeeez, I am so glad that box is in the States. Anywhere but here! Even though I know the box can reach right round the world! lol

Hmmm...
YOU WROTE:
"Jeeez, I am so glad that box is in the States. Anywhere but here! Even though I know the box can reach right round the world! lol"

Not so fast there Goggs Mackay! Is it really all just odd coincidences? One in a million kind of things??? What is the chance of the Dibbuk Box owner being in Aberdeen, Scotland this next weekend August 31-September 2nd. IMPOSSIBLE - let's have a pint and catch "The Possession" movie there in Aberden on opening night - how about it - since you only know the smallest amount of the story - trust me. Bring your friends too! Seroiously.

Would enjoy meeting up with you - not a joke. I will have some free time between my Museum lectures. Ben and Aaron of MU can vouch for me. They are meeting me in Minneapolis on Oct. 21st. Shoot me a Private message and I will send you my email address. Cheers! From the keeper ofthe Dibbuk Box - Jason Haxton

Attachments

• Dibbuk_Cover_ ForeWord_medium 408 x 640 pixels.jpg
    Dibbuk_Cover_ ForeWord_medium 408 x 640 pixels.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 7
Guacamole! Jason Haxton on our forums?! Super COOL!

Goggsmackay don't miss the opportunity to meet with Jason, every interview I've ever heard with him he is a really nice guy.

Jason is the only one who has been able to come through this thing relatively intact, it just tore every other owner to pieces. Even Jason had sever eye troubles for a long time.

The MU people won't name names, last time they did a show on this subject but i know for a fact Jason Offut wants nothing to do with this object or story, it started to affect his family.

I was on Don Ecker's back for months to do an interview with Jason on Dark Matters Radio. Upon mentioning the name of the object he had major technical problems and it was that week he was off the air for almost a year!

He wont even say the name on his show. Ask him!

As for the film i really hope this is not another story Hollywood is going to butcher.

The real stories with all those involved in this phenomenon is a Hell of a lot more scary then any thing they can put on the silver screen.

Going to read your book soon Jason! Thanks for dropping by.

I don't know if this is a good idea for the Paracast, or its forum members.
Ward - hey don't let Goggs have all the fun - you can get in too. I will be in Hollywood for the Premiere on Tuesday, August 28th - big after party at the LURE follows. You're not that far away - come see me and I will give you a signed book - and we can have a beer at the Redbury where I am staying. Are you up to it? Seriously. The Paracast Group is really one of the coolest groups. I fly out the next day August 29th for London - land on Thursday August 30th to see a friend in Oxford his son is Ed O'Brien Guitarist for Radiohead. So what do you say Ward?

Jason Absolutely! Hollywood is less then 100 miles it would be awesome to meet you. Least i can do is buy you lunch or something. You name the time and place in your busy schedule and I'll be there!

It's done! Say farewell to Ward - he's risking it all and coming to see me in Hollywood on Tuesday. Brave old Ward - fools rush in where brave men fear to tread! See you in a few days.

Now we need to get old Goggsmackay to meet up in Aberdeen since he started this whole thing. Of course you all know that Goggs is asleep in Aberdeen dreaming of old hags that are giving him a sound beating! Jason

It's done! Say farewell to Ward - he's risking it all and coming to see me in Hollywood on Tuesday. Brave old Ward - fools rush in where brave men fear to tread! See you in a few days.

Now we need to get old Goggsmackay to meet up in Aberdeen since he started this whole thing. Of course you all know that Goggs is asleep in Aberdeen dreaming of old hags that are giving him a sound beating! Jason

Well I suppose this means we are going to have to bust out the "where's ward" thread again

Hmmm...
YOU WROTE:
"Jeeez, I am so glad that box is in the States. Anywhere but here! Even though I know the box can reach right round the world! lol"

Not so fast there Goggs Mackay! Is it really all just odd coincidences? One in a million kind of things??? What is the chance of the Dibbuk Box owner being in Aberdeen, Scotland this next weekend August 31-September 2nd. IMPOSSIBLE - let's have a pint and catch "The Possession" movie there in Aberden on opening night - how about it - since you only know the smallest amount of the story - trust me. Bring your friends too! Seroiously.

Would enjoy meeting up with you - not a joke. I will have some free time between my Museum lectures. Ben and Aaron of MU can vouch for me. They are meeting me in Minneapolis on Oct. 21st. Shoot me a Private message and I will send you my email address. Cheers! From the keeper ofthe Dibbuk Box - Jason Haxton

HELP! HELP! FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS, I AM BEING SUCKED INTO AN ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE NIGHTMARE REALITY WHERE EVERY SINGLE CHOICE I MAKE BRINGS ME CLOSER TO THE BOX.................cant............bre....athe..........(expires)

Jason, would love to meet. This is indeed pretty freaky though, but you knew that as you know the power of that which is only whispered of... I shall PM you Jason.

I've been a fan of the box story since it was first covered in Mysterious Universe a few years back. It's come a long way what with a Hollywood movie being made and wider coverage.

Ben and Aaron were speculating the other day that with the undoubted vast increase in numbers of people hearing the story, the associated paranormal shenanigans may go exponential. We're talking end of the world shit here!

I've been a fan of the box story since it was first covered in Mysterious Universe a few years back. It's come a long way what with a Hollywood movie being made and wider coverage.

Ben and Aaron were speculating the other day that with the undoubted vast increase in numbers of people hearing the story, the associated paranormal shenanigans may go exponential. We're talking end of the world shit here!
So Goggs is it a date then - pint and the movie? You might have to get the tickets in advance for us - let the theater owner know the real Dibbuk Box owner will be there for the show's opening at his theater - if that helps. I will cover the ticket cost for us when I get there. I had wondered if you might have had a rest-less sleep while hags took turns smacking you around last evening. so, great let's have a beer and go to the movies then. I am staying with colleagues in Aberdeen (FYI - I am descended from a Great Scot). Will check the PM. Jason

It is indeed a date. I shall need to check which theatre it will be in, there are a few but our city centre is a small place and everything is walking distance.
I shall indeed try and name-drop..

I just caught your post as I'm heading out so sorry for being on the short side but we'll have time for a great chat and hopefully a fantastic movie. This is so weird, but good weird!

Goggs

Jason, I've only recently heard about THE BOX but did you not "nueter it "with some sage and a ceremony of sorts?

Spookymulder,
You are correct - the ark (acacia wood and gold-lined container) has calmed the Dibbuk Box - but... it has not completely shut it down. Just kind of muffled its affects and effects.

That is my experience!
Jason

I'm unfamiliar with this story, can someone point me to a site or interviews or something that gives the full story? I'd google it but without knowing the background it'll probably be pretty hard for me to separate the bad information from the good. Really interested in reading more about it, thanks.

I'm unfamiliar with this story, can someone point me to a site or interviews or something that gives the full story? I'd google it but without knowing the background it'll probably be pretty hard for me to separate the bad information from the good. Really interested in reading more about it, thanks.

The Dibbuk Box - The Haunted Jewish Winebox is where you can start. Read the background story and go from there.

And Muadib, don't mock the box....you've been warned. (serious as hell smiley face)

Hi Mua dib buk - :)
Here's some recent material:

The Dibbuk Box artifact is going to be a LIONSGATE movie called The Possession and comes out next Friday.

It is in an acacia ark surrounded in gold - and has been pretty calm for the last 4 years - so need to take it off my hands - but thanks.

Go to the website and you can see it - press click button - lower right corner of homepage - dibbuk box website.

Best - Jason

Here' some details:
Book produced by the Truman University Press: http://tsup.truman.edu/item.asp?itemId=453

The Possession movie trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0431021/

Truman student Jeff Denight article: http://blogs.truman.edu/tsup/2012/08/17/the-dibbuk-box-jason-haxton-on-writing-his-story/

I leave for the Hollywood Premiere on Monday to hang with the Ward of Paracast, movie stars and Matisyahu - yeah he is in the move too - cool.

MORE

Host Clyde Lewis of the Ground Zero Radio podcast
Link: http://www.groundzeromedia.org/gzpod/?p=episode&name=2012-08-02_gzlive_080112.mp3

Luke Gohegan UK Podcastemail: [email protected]

His review of my book link: http://www.planetinside.co.uk/book-review/the-dibbuk-box/

Haxton interview on Dibbuk Box- just gone live: http://www.planetinside.co.uk/222/

Eric Olsen of America’s Most Haunted Radio – Interview with London RAW TV Producer Mark Lewis about the upcoming Paranormal Witness Season 2 and “The Dybbuk Box”taped August 7th.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/americas-most-haunted/2012/08/07/americas-most-haunted-talks-paranormal-witness

Entertainment Weekly’s Senior Writer Clark Collis writes a 6-page article about the Dibbuk Box and its based on true events movie “The Possession” – August 3, 2012 issue.

Amazon Books Review: Dybbuk Miruach-ra, July 31, 2012

By Scott R. - Verified Purchase

This review is from: The Dibbuk Box (Kindle Edition)

A dybbuk miruach-ra ("clinging of an evil spirit") in Jewish mysticism is the spirit of a person who cannot cross over because they must atone for a sin they did not do so prior to death or a spirit tormented by a grave injustice in life that must be revenged. So they literally attach themselves to a person and force them to physically do the task. This is not exactly what we encounter in this book. Rather, it's more like a demon attached to an inanimate object - in this case, the titular "box" - that essentially poisons anyone who comes into contact with the object or the person who owns it.

This is a masterful book. It reads like a thriller, a who-dun-it (but you know exactly who did it) and a historical/journalistic quest. It compels you to go forward like any great novel, though this is supposed to be non-fiction. Indeed, it is the blending of fiction and fact that work so perfectly into the reality of the circumstances that makes this book a piece of art. I do not in any way believe that Mr. Haxton has invented any of this. Whether or not there was any paranormal activity involved does not matter. It is what the people involved with the dybbuk box believe that is of paramount importance.

No "true" paranormal story has chilled me so much since I read The Amityville Horror 30 years ago (that was proven to be a hoax, but not on the author's part). Bravo to Jason Haxton on a work very well done. I look forward to anything else he writes in the future.

And yes, I will be seeing "The Possession", which is based on this book.

Back