• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Black-Eyed Girl - Boo!

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
Are we ready for Halloween? :cool:

Mystery surrounds 'black-eyed child' reports
Posted on Tuesday, 30 September, 2014

LINK: Mystery surrounds 'black-eyed child' reports - Unexplained Mysteries

TEXT: "A mysterious entity has been sighted at Cannock Chase in England for the first time in almost 30 years.

"Reports of a ghostly girl with "coal-black pits for eye sockets" have seen something of a resurgance over the last two years at the otherwise ideallic Staffordshire beauty spot. The sightings echo a similar spate of encounters that took place back in the 1980s.

"Paranormal investigator Lee Brickley has been attempting to get to the bottom of the mystery and is appealing for information. The last reported sighting occurred around two weeks ago.

"The witness reported that he and his wife had been walking in the area with their dog when, upon embarking upon a path through the woods, they heard the sound of a little girl giggling.

" "To our amazement, a child, no taller than one meter in height appeared as if out of nowhere further up the path in front of us," he wrote. "We stopped dead in our tracks after noticing her eyes had no colour. She stared at us for around five minutes before running away into a densely grouped area of trees. My wife wanted to follow her, but I was having none of it."

"Another documented sighting, which took place last July, involved a woman and her daughter who heard screams in the forest before encountering a strange girl who appeared behind them.

" "I asked if she was okay and if she had been the one screaming, she then put her arms down by her side and opened her eyes, which is when I saw they were completely black, no iris, no white, nothing," said the mother. "I jumped back and grabbed my daughter, when I looked again, the child was gone.."

"To date there has been no explanation for the peculiar sightings.

" "I have received nine different reports in the last two years from seemingly credible witnesses," said Brickley. "During interviews most of their stories have been very similar." "

As one comment says: "Four to five minutes? That's a lifetime. Anything more than 30 seconds or so seems like a long time to have something stare at you without taking any action. The veracity of these claims is a bit suspect, to say the least."

But it's sure fun for Halloween! :)

Learn from your mistakes Mr. dog walker.

Or perhaps it only SEEMED like it was 5 minutes because of missing time...Yeah, that's the ticket.

In case anyone didn't know, the location of the report Tyger has posted was the Cannock Chase - an area of park and woodland that has been referenced many times by Nick Redfern, him having grown up close by. He says there has been a long history of paranormal events at the Chase and speculates that it may be a 'portal area' if such things exist.

In case anyone didn't know, the location of the report Tyger has posted was the Cannock Chase - an area of park and woodland that has been referenced many times by Nick Redfern, him having grown up close by. He says there has been a long history of paranormal events at the Chase and speculates that it may be a 'portal area' if such things exist.

What is a 'portal area' - can you describe? The term intrigues me (for reasons of my own. :cool: )

I've certainly heard of cannock chase, with its demonic dogs, black cats and more, but I just found the narrative of this story suspect for the reasons the author mentioned, although the time given by the possible witness could have been hyperbole.

What is a 'portal area' - can you describe? The term intrigues me (for reasons of my own. :cool: )

Well, whether they exist or not is one thing but my understanding is that it is a term often applied to a geographical area that seems to display far more paranormal events than whatever the 'average' might be in most places. So possibly the 4-corners, the Uintah Basin, areas in Pennsylvania or W. Virginia covered by Stan Gordon or Keel. Basically a paranormal hotspot.

It is very debatable whether or not portals exist in as much as maybe some places get reputations due to mass media or reporting etc but I personally feel there are areas that seem to have far more activity than others, though this is not from personal experience nor is it anything I can really provide evidence for. Chris O'Brien went further in defining such areas and also linked the often close presence of military bases and ancient reputation amongst some other factors in defining such areas. Please ask Chris for more detail, he's the man with the knowledge way above mine!

Well, whether they exist or not is one thing but my understanding is that it is a term often applied to a geographical area that seems to display far more paranormal events than whatever the 'average' might be in most places. So possibly the 4-corners, the Uintah Basin, areas in Pennsylvania or W. Virginia covered by Stan Gordon or Keel. Basically a paranormal hotspot.

It is very debatable whether or not portals exist in as much as maybe some places get reputations due to mass media or reporting etc but I personally feel there are areas that seem to have far more activity than others, though this is not from personal experience nor is it anything I can really provide evidence for. Chris O'Brien went further in defining such areas and also linked the often close presence of military bases and ancient reputation amongst some other factors in defining such areas. Please ask Chris for more detail, he's the man with the knowledge way above mine!

I asked with particular interest for a reason. I see 'portals' are being associated with paranormal events. That would not be what interests me.

What is curious is the use of 'portals' as a device in literature - particularly fantasy novels. I am thinking of - preeminently - the Narnia series, where a portal is at the back of the wardrobe. If I'm not mistaken there is also a portal in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (but my memory may be failing me with that). It is the use of portals in metaphysical/fantasy fiction that got me thinking in regards an experience I have had.

I have locations from my childhood that were always redolent with a particular 'feel'. I have always been a writer and I have even journaled extensively concerning these areas and the experiences, but I was never able to be any more explicit than analogy. I can only say what it is 'like', not what it is. I've been gone from the hamlet I was raised in for many decades but I still have family there. Over the years I have returned and inevitably I will find myself back in the area that has 'the feeling'. I've gone back in the building and found the exact area where the 'center' or concentration of 'the feeling' seems to reside. It is an amazing experience - as though I am in the presence of something very mysterious just beyond my ken. A few years ago I went back to my hometown and sat outside the building, positioning my car across the street from the windows of the room(s) where 'the feeling' seems to reside - and as I sat there and watched that 'space' I could envision the possibility of a 'cleft between worlds'. The 'portal' idea arose in my mind. Something is present there - very ancient (beyond time) - very powerful - like the trees in Lord of the Rings. Would I call it good and loving? I don't know. If it's love it's something very far beyond anything I have experienced as love. It is compelling. To be in that location is to be enveloped in 'the feeling'.

The building is a very small elementary school - and it's only one classroom that has this intensity. The rest of the building 'shimmers' with it but not as clearly as this classroom. What is interesting is that those of us who graduated from this small grammar school wound up going to a local prep school in the larger near-by town - and I recall a teacher once talking with me and commenting on the unusual quality all of us from this small hamlet, and small school, carried. It was something she had clearly considered, because there were other children from other towns who were extraordinary in their way - but she said it went beyond that we might all be smart or gifted - it was how we were, something indefinable, 'a feeling'. She was putting it to the influence of the teachers in that small school but I don't think so. It wasn't the teachers - it seemed to be in the very walls of the building itself, in that location. But it's the only rather remarkable validation I have that there was something unique present in that place that 'saturated' us with it's qualities. (The school building was built in 1923 - I've never looked into the location's history - what was there before the school.)

It's an oddish story, I know. Not really a story even when it comes to that. Just a tale of 'a feeling' in a location. But I am convinced that the location has something powerful there. Was there once a mighty tree that grew there when the forest was still primeval before the Europeans came and 'slew' all the old-growth trees? A tree seems so banal a thing to say - but one feels there is a 'Being' there - very much beyond a single human being. There are no Native Americans to tell the tale of that place - they have been long gone for centuries - scattered, absorbed, no more. There are no descendants. That small hamlet, however, has always been an area of exceptionalism of many kinds - from the 1600/1700's onwards into the 1800's - amazing thinkers and industries have thrived there. It's an exceedingly small New England town, yet it has always been vibrant with unusual and cutting edge impulses.

That's my 'portal' story. The last time I sat there looking at the location - almost 'seeing' a layered reality - it came to me why authors have used the 'portal' devise in stories. I think - maybe - they do exist, but not in the way we surmise. I don't think we (necessarily) can physically transit through such portals. Physical things stay in the physical universe - but our subtler selves can effect a transport of a kind. Of course, this is not a new idea regarding 'sacred spots' - such has been described by native peoples all over the world. In Europe there are innumerable places purported to have (to use a phrase) 'divine grace' present. From personal experience I would say Quebec, Canada is peppered with such 'portals' or 'sacred spots'.

Anyway, just some thoughts. :)

Last edited:
I believed the story up until the "5 minutes" comment, as that appears to be entirely too long for my liking. It's interesting to think about why someone would make up that story. Perhaps it was done for the purpose of drawing interest to the area?

Back