• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Art of Magical Thinking

Will magical thinking help us to better understand the UFO and paranormal phenomenon?

• Total voters
So as someone who makes their living as an educator inside a bureaucratized institutional setting based on a hundred year old, mostly meat-grinder-kill-the-imagination approach to learning I feel compelled to respond on those points. What I've learned from working with youth is that they do need a guide, a moral responder and a coach that can inspire and motivate. It's true, there aren't a lot of educators into breeding imagination, chaos, critical thinking and curiosity, but there are some.

Recently, while applying for funding to reinvent literacy in schools in light of the digital revolution, I got to interview the head of science who teaches with blog and wiki spaces like me. I discovered the dude was a genius who had completely reinvented the teaching of science by getting kids to understand observable reality from the big bang onwards. His approach was interdisciplinary moving seamlessly in and out of physics, math, chemistry and with some biology. That guy is going to breed a whole new generation of inquisitive, competent, curious scientific youth. So all is not lost as a revolution in education will be forced upon the institutions of learning as technology, employment and youth demand it. And there are already teachers riding that wave - looking to reinvent, looking for more creative, moral responses to our times inside the classroom setting of the 21st century.

Still, our discussion around the orgasm of life, and the fullness of what it means to be wholly human in all the diversity of our potential and being eludes most educational spaces. We are still restricted by one way transmission approaches and mainstream ideologies that deny the lived realities of diverse youth. But even this I see changing as issues of social media, sexual violence and teens intersect and demand the attention and response from the adult world.

So as someone who makes their living as an educator inside a bureaucratized institutional setting based on a hundred year old, mostly meat-grinder-kill-the-imagination approach to learning I feel compelled to respond on those points. What I've learned from working with youth is that they do need a guide, a moral responder and a coach that can inspire and motivate. It's true, there aren't a lot of educators into breeding imagination, chaos, critical thinking and curiosity, but there are some.

Truly, as a lexicon for intriguing discussion, there is a vast and compelling amount of inspirational angles contained herein. There is no question in my mind that prior to signing on to the forum today (happy Thanksgiving from your neighbors down south!) my thoughts reflected a mild remorse for my summation of the term "education" yesterday. It just didn't serve to best elucidate the point I had hoped to make. Not surprisingly, I found myself simultaneously centered on the idea of expressing a preference for a sage guidance process as opposed to what I had merely skimmed over and expressed as "education" in a reflective manner. I finished the log in, read your post, and then proceeded to catch up with myself. Thanks! The sincerity and "real" factor are shinning here in abundance and just wanted to freeze frame the synchronous quality of what I had rendered from the experience. :)

Recently, while applying for funding to reinvent literacy in schools in light of the digital revolution, I got to interview the head of science who teaches with blog and wiki spaces like me. I discovered the dude was a genius who had completely reinvented the teaching of science by getting kids to understand observable reality from the big bang onwards. His approach was interdisciplinary moving seamlessly in and out of physics, math, chemistry and with some biology. That guy is going to breed a whole new generation of inquisitive, competent, curious scientific youth. So all is not lost as a revolution in education will be forced upon the institutions of learning as technology, employment and youth demand it. And there are already teachers riding that wave - looking to reinvent, looking for more creative, moral responses to our times inside the classroom setting of the 21st century.

I absolutely am uplifted by the TRUTH contained herein. Not so much specific to teaching practices, as I am certainly not qualified to access or judge the effectiveness of diverse teaching processes/styles, but rather the manner it speaks clearly of the key being the relationship between teacher/the taught. I do find the notion of using a hyperlinked teaching platform wonderful with respect for an inspired understanding of the interconnected nature of our existence. I think that if there is any concept that is ultimately and universally applicable it's the notion of relativity. To me, relativity did for science what Buddha did for the Zen student. It's an extremely powerful insight into the fabric of reality and the peace of mind that results from the understanding that a loss of self is the only road to a gain greater than the self has the ability to contain.

Still, our discussion around the orgasm of life, and the fullness of what it means to be wholly human in all the diversity of our potential and being eludes most educational spaces. We are still restricted by one way transmission approaches and mainstream ideologies that deny the lived realities of diverse youth. But even this I see changing as issues of social media, sexual violence and teens intersect and demand the attention and response from the adult world.

Your convictions are absolute. Could there be room for any other manner of conviction with charges so precious as are children? Absolutely not. Rock On! :)

I will state in parting from this refreshing process this morning that I feel this social media thing is absurd. It denigrates and abates. Little more. Teaching people a culturally acceptable means of participating in what is little more than a Baal/Catholicism derived confessional mindset 24/7. Mental mice and sheople that prefer transistor radio monophonic mayhem over the actual dynamic stereophonic spread. It's promoting tunnel ear vision! ;)

Thinking vs feeling---the left vs right brain duality perhaps ?

I'm not an avid fan of Bob Dylan, except to say that only recently have I come to understand the power and meaning in some of his lyrics. His work is not to be confused with music. :confused: A line from one of his "songs" (rainy day women ?) that "everybody must get stoned" used to strike me as just another drug culture knock off. But Dylan is deeper than that. I think one could say that, regardless of how tightly we may cling to the straight and rational in life, the feeling and unthinking side of the human condition will at times overtake us.

Or maybe I'm just over thinking Dylan. This is like poetry in general or chasing UFOs. Meaning is definitely there. But it's hard to say whether it is objective or projective.

Thinking vs feeling---the left vs right brain duality perhaps ?

I'm not an avid fan of Bob Dylan, except to say that only recently have I come to understand the power and meaning in some of his lyrics. His work is not to be confused with music. :confused: A line from one of his "songs" (rainy day women ?) that "everybody must get stoned" used to strike me as just another drug culture knock off. But Dylan is deeper than that. I think one could say that, regardless of how tightly we may cling to the straight and rational in life, the feeling and unthinking side of the human condition will at times overtake us.

Or maybe I'm just over thinking Dylan. This is like poetry in general or chasing UFOs. Meaning is definitely there. But it's hard to say whether it is objective or projective.

I too detest most of what Dylan has rendered "musically", if one could be so kind. :rolleyes: However, much like yourself, Jimi Hendrix, and nearly every other talented creative mind that has come to have had the misfortune of listening to Dylan, rather than reading the man, the person is beyond brilliant! I think that Bob was so talented that whereas he is undeniably recognized as a tremendous force in contemporary rock music, I sometimes wonder if the man himself may have struggled with his "true place" in terms of his megalithic literary expressive orientation. Certainly both an intellectually mainstream, and underground, sociological commentary non sequitur force to be reckoned with, albeit, other than his material with The Band, I won't listen to him if given a choice. Hands down my favorite lyric by Dylan is, I'm thinking from a tune he did back in the 60s called Subterranean Homesick Blues. The lyric to the best of my memory is "he who isn't busy being born is busy dying.". Dylan, the sociological cynical champion of all that is undercurrent to the prowess of his pen.

When it comes to male folk pop however, I'm a Donovan man all the way. Talk about ridiculously COOL. If you have not seen it Boomerang, please check out a documentary called something to the effect of Sunshine Superman: The story of Donovan, blah, blah, blah...:p What was that now you stated about everybody must get, uh, get, ....stoned?:oops:

hen comes the munchies...

;) Happy, grateful turkey or vegetable day, whatever your preference,
Jeff

I too detest most of what Dylan has rendered "musically", if one could be so kind. :rolleyes: However, much like yourself, Jimi Hendrix, and nearly every other talented creative mind that has come to have had the misfortune of listening to Dylan, rather than reading the man, the person is beyond brilliant! I think that Bob was so talented that whereas he is undeniably recognized as a tremendous force in contemporary rock music, I sometimes wonder if the man himself may have struggled with his "true place" in terms of his megalithic literary expressive orientation. Certainly both an intellectually mainstream, and underground, sociological commentary non sequitur force to be reckoned with, albeit, other than his material with The Band, I won't listen to him if given a choice. Hands down my favorite lyric by Dylan is, I'm thinking from a tune he did back in the 60s called Subterranean Homesick Blues. The lyric to the best of my memory is "he who isn't busy being born is busy dying.". Dylan, the sociological cynical champion of all that is undercurrent to the prowess of his pen.

When it comes to male folk pop however, I'm a Donovan man all the way. Talk about ridiculously COOL. If you have not seen it Boomerang, please check out a documentary called something to the effect of Sunshine Superman: The story of Donovan, blah, blah, blah...:p What was that now you stated about everybody must get, uh, get, ....stoned?:oops:

hen comes the munchies...

;) Happy, grateful turkey or vegetable day, whatever your preference,
Jeff

Indeed. Dylan's work is poetry masquerading as, er, ... sounds.
A Happy Thanksgiving to all. :)

I just noticed now that in a tally of rationalism (the bottom two poll responses) vs. irrational and magical thought (the first three responses) the total is at a dead heat 57.9% to 57.9%. I wish a vote would come along and break that tie. Will anyone else make a 2014 commitment to thinking on the magical side?

Back