• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Take Two and DON'T call me in the mourning...

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
I recently responded to a post that mentioned "drugs" and the perils of "pot." I don't need to re-visit the arguments pro or anti pot but I feel compelled to share the following statistics with those out their in Paracast-land that are as concened as I am about the "legal" drugging of America:
FULL ARTICLE HERE:

Did you know? (emphasis & links retained)
#1 An astounding 70 million Americans are taking legal mind-altering drugs right now.

#2 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, doctors wrotemore than 250 million prescriptions for antidepressants during 2010.

#3 According to a study conducted by the Mayo Clinic, nearly 70 percent of all Americans are on at least one prescription drug. An astounding 20 percent of all Americans are on at least five prescription drugs.

#4 Americans spent more than 280 billion dollars on prescription drugs during 2013.

#5 According to the CDC, approximately 9 out of every 10 Americans that are at least 60 years old say that they have taken at least one prescription drug within the last month.

#6 There are 60 million Americans that “abuse alcohol”.

#7 According to the Department of Health and Human Services, 22 million Americans use illegal drugs.

#8 Incredibly, more than 11 percent of all Americans that are 12 years of age or older admit that they have driven home under the influence of alcohol at least once during the past year.

#9 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there is an unintentional drug overdose death in the United States every 19 minutes.

#10 In the United States today, prescription painkillers kill more Americans than heroin and cocaine combined.

#11 According to the CDC, approximately three quarters of a million people a year are rushed to emergency rooms in the United States because of adverse reactions to pharmaceutical drugs.

#12 According to Alternet, “11 of the 12 new-to-market drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration were priced above $100,000 per-patient per-year” in 2012.

#13 The percentage of women taking antidepressants in America is higherthan in any other country in the world.

#14 Many of these antidepressants contain warnings that “suicidal thoughts” are one of the side effects that should be expected. The suicide rate for Americans between the ages of 35 and 64 rose by close to 30 percent between 1999 and 2010. The number of Americans that are killed by suicide now exceeds the number of Americans that die as a result of car accidents every year.

#15 In 2010, the average teen in the United States was taking 1.2 central nervous system drugs. Those are the kinds of drugs which treat conditions such as ADHD and depression.

#16 Children in the United States are three times more likely to be prescribed antidepressants as children in Europe are.

#17 A shocking Government Accountability Office report discovered that approximately one-third of all foster children in the United States are on at least one psychiatric drug.

#18 A survey conducted for the National Institute on Drug Abuse found that more than 15 percent of all U.S. high school seniors abuse prescription drugs.

#19 It turns out that dealing drugs is extremely profitable. The 11 largest pharmaceutical companies combined to rake in approximately $85,000,000,000 in profits in 2012.

In America today, doctors are trained that there are just two potential solutions to any problem. Either you prescribe a pill or you cut someone open. Surgery and drugs are pretty much the only alternatives they offer us.

And an endless barrage of television commercials have trained all of us to think that there is a “pill for every problem”.

Are you in pain?
Just take a pill.
Are you feeling blue?
Just take a pill.
Do you need a spark in your marriage?
Just take a pill.

And most Americans assume that all of these pills are perfectly safe.
After all, the government would never approve something that wasn’t safe, right?
REST OF ARTICLE HERE: [I would say WRONG! And I thought you'd all appreciate a wake-up call/reminder of the real druggie facts]

Amazing stats to say the least people are making a lot of money no doubt, people are abusing the drugs no doubt, they are being over prescribed no doubt, BUT there is also no doubt that some peoples quality of life is drastically improved by taking these drugs, I found myself in a situation where it boiled down to which was the lesser of two evils take them or don't, pain won I swallowed the pills. People really need to realize that just because the doctor prescribed the meds does not mean that they have to take them, i research what's given to me and make that choice. Not all doctors have your best intentions in mind, be wary of what your given and take some responsibility and do the research on whats in it and what it does and how it does it!!!

The legalization of alcohol & nicotine was the worst decision this continent has made from a health and welless perspective, or you could also select the drinking & driving and cancer perspective. Either way, death, disaster and the destruction of families is what lies in the wake of those two approved drugs.

The following image represents concentrations of ADHD diagnosis as per the CDC or the effectiveness of pharmaceutical companies to encourage such diagnosis? Either way, if it was a real disease epidemic then we should see a much different frequency distribution. Apparently some states appear to have a lot of ADHD immunity - must be something in their oatmeal I suppose.

ADHD_Prevalence.svg

Perhaps the Rubicon was crossed when big pharmaceutical companies began running prime time TV ads encouraging people to ask their doctor if "Fukitol" would be right for them. Never mind that clinical indications for the med aren't necessarily mentioned in the ad, or that the average person probably doesn't have the condition for which said drug is indicated. It's good marketing, right ?

We are definitely a society with a split brain attitude about psychoactive substances. We guzzle energy drinks to speed up, alcohol to slow down and pop antidepressants to maintain the will to get out of bed in the morning. And no--I don't think the clinical depression and ADHD epidemic are entirely bogus. I think they are real phenomena with underlying causes that are poorly understood. Big pharma is more than happy to step in with expensive band aids that are indeed often better for the patient than finding more basic cures. And a "little" media exaggeration never hurts business.

As to why pure grain alcohol is legal and cannabis is not--don't expect a rational reason for that one. I personally think this is a culture that is more comfortable with recreational substances that make people aggressive than passive. Even when lives are lost. But who knows ?

People like getting high because it makes them feel better. Doctors have boat payments to make, and a government-enforced monopoly to do it with. No great mysteries here.

Molyneux recently did a good video on this subject. Hitting little children damages their brains...

I recently responded to a post that mentioned "drugs" and the perils of "pot." I don't need to re-visit the arguments pro or anti pot but I feel compelled to share the following statistics with those out their in Paracast-land that are as concened as I am about the "legal" drugging of America:
FULL ARTICLE HERE:

Did you know? (emphasis & links retained)
#1 An astounding 70 million Americans are taking legal mind-altering drugs right now.

#2 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, doctors wrotemore than 250 million prescriptions for antidepressants during 2010.

#3 According to a study conducted by the Mayo Clinic, nearly 70 percent of all Americans are on at least one prescription drug. An astounding 20 percent of all Americans are on at least five prescription drugs.

#4 Americans spent more than 280 billion dollars on prescription drugs during 2013.

#5 According to the CDC, approximately 9 out of every 10 Americans that are at least 60 years old say that they have taken at least one prescription drug within the last month.

#6 There are 60 million Americans that “abuse alcohol”.

#7 According to the Department of Health and Human Services, 22 million Americans use illegal drugs.

#8 Incredibly, more than 11 percent of all Americans that are 12 years of age or older admit that they have driven home under the influence of alcohol at least once during the past year.

#9 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there is an unintentional drug overdose death in the United States every 19 minutes.

#10 In the United States today, prescription painkillers kill more Americans than heroin and cocaine combined.

#11 According to the CDC, approximately three quarters of a million people a year are rushed to emergency rooms in the United States because of adverse reactions to pharmaceutical drugs.

#12 According to Alternet, “11 of the 12 new-to-market drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration were priced above $100,000 per-patient per-year” in 2012.

#13 The percentage of women taking antidepressants in America is higherthan in any other country in the world.

#14 Many of these antidepressants contain warnings that “suicidal thoughts” are one of the side effects that should be expected. The suicide rate for Americans between the ages of 35 and 64 rose by close to 30 percent between 1999 and 2010. The number of Americans that are killed by suicide now exceeds the number of Americans that die as a result of car accidents every year.

#15 In 2010, the average teen in the United States was taking 1.2 central nervous system drugs. Those are the kinds of drugs which treat conditions such as ADHD and depression.

#16 Children in the United States are three times more likely to be prescribed antidepressants as children in Europe are.

#17 A shocking Government Accountability Office report discovered that approximately one-third of all foster children in the United States are on at least one psychiatric drug.

#18 A survey conducted for the National Institute on Drug Abuse found that more than 15 percent of all U.S. high school seniors abuse prescription drugs.

#19 It turns out that dealing drugs is extremely profitable. The 11 largest pharmaceutical companies combined to rake in approximately $85,000,000,000 in profits in 2012.

In America today, doctors are trained that there are just two potential solutions to any problem. Either you prescribe a pill or you cut someone open. Surgery and drugs are pretty much the only alternatives they offer us.

And an endless barrage of television commercials have trained all of us to think that there is a “pill for every problem”.

Are you in pain?
Just take a pill.
Are you feeling blue?
Just take a pill.
Do you need a spark in your marriage?
Just take a pill.

And most Americans assume that all of these pills are perfectly safe.
After all, the government would never approve something that wasn’t safe, right?
REST OF ARTICLE HERE: [I would say WRONG! And I thought you'd all appreciate a wake-up call/reminder of the real druggie facts]

This has to be a hell of a lot better for you

weed.jpeg

Or maybe a few of these

mushrooms-magic.jpg

About Cannabis NORML New Zealand

Of course, the big problem with any product with a large demand- people will pay more to criminal organizations when said product is banned by a govt. Alcohol destroyed just as many families during prohibition, and only served to make those with easy access, wealthy.
HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" 1st season did a great job portraying this.

My son once took Nexium for a stomach issue, and kept vomiting. His doctor kept insisting that wasn't possible. But he stopped the medication, and the symptoms left. So much for some doctors.

You US folks/people/friends, really, take way too many Pills as it is. A Peppermint tea and some caring from my mother helped me endure and make it through whatever sickness. I know I'm simplifying things to a core here, but try that first, unless you have broken bones or are bleeding uncontrollably.

make it illegal for doctors to be incentivised by pharmaceutical reps to prescribe their brands and everything would be ok, they would prescribe the best medication for the problem, or none at all, instead of a pill they get the most commission on.

You US folks/people/friends, really, take way too many Pills as it is. A Peppermint tea and some caring from my mother helped me endure and make it through whatever sickness. I know I'm simplifying things to a core here, but try that first, unless you have broken bones or are bleeding uncontrollably.

ok i will try that, where does she live ?.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
I won't deny sarcasm and the occasional bout of mischievousness but I try to make it obvious. In this case I would refer you to cancer rates, divorce rates, spousal abuse rates, child abuse rates, suicide rates, incidents of drinking and driving causing death and maiming, along with the total costs to health care and insurance companies in N. America.

We would have been much better off with importing Ayahuasca, naturalizing the plant and calling it a day.

This has to be a hell of a lot better for you

Don't try to grown your own.

GW Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. filed a patent on cannabinoids in 2009.

The patent is close to being approved.

Soon they will be able to prosecute for patent infringement anyone who attempts to grow their intellectual property on their back patio.

uk-approval3.jpg

The patent: Patent CA2726258A1 - Anti-tumoural effects of cannabinoid combinations - Google Patents

GW Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. stock price: GWPH: Summary for GW Pharmaceuticals Plc- Yahoo! Finance

No free weed for you, Citizen.

Don't try to grown your own.

GW Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. filed a patent on cannabinoids in 2009.

The patent is close to being approved.

Soon they will be able to prosecute for patent infringement anyone who attempts to grow their intellectual property on their back patio.

uk-approval3.jpg

The patent: Patent CA2726258A1 - Anti-tumoural effects of cannabinoid combinations - Google Patents

GW Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. stock price: GWPH: Summary for GW Pharmaceuticals Plc- Yahoo! Finance

No free weed for you, Citizen.

Thanks for the stock tip. Hey, if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

I won't deny sarcasm and the occasional bout of mischievousness but I try to make it obvious. In this case I would refer you to cancer rates, divorce rates, spousal abuse rates, child abuse rates, suicide rates, incidents of drinking and driving causing death and maiming, along with the total costs to health care and insurance companies in N. America.

We would have been much better off with importing Ayahuasca, naturalizing the plant and calling it a day.

Hopefully it's enough to just point out that drinking and driving is illegal and still happens. If it's not, let me be clearer - banning drinking not only had no basis in morality, it also had no effect on drinking rates. What it did effect, though, is *what* people drank, and who sold it them. What they drank was formaldehyde sold to them by the Mafia who ballooned to such a large size, America and the world is still struggling to dismantle them after the 10 year mistake of the 1920s, almost 100 years ago.

Prohabition of a substance with an inelastic demand curve leads to criminal cartels. Don't believe me? Go to Mexico. Banning Marijuana didn't work, all it did was empower those willing to act outside of the law, and cause an ever spiraling cycle of violence that will take years to recover from, once you do finally regain some sanity, and allow consenting informed adults to modify their consciousnesses in whatever way they deem fit, so long as they interfere with no one else.

Back