• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Strange Symbols Upon Awakening

Martha162

Skilled Investigator
I'm just curious...does anyone else occasionally see strange symbols upon waking up in the morning before your eyes are open? This happens to me off and on. They are very plain, but only last for maybe 15 seconds or so and then dissolve. I seem to remember in college psych class that it was mentioned that 15 or 20 percent (?) of people sometimes see geometric figures before their eyes upon awakening, but these were described as more like geometric grids or patterns. The symbols I see are more like letters.

Hey Martha,
I haven't noticed it upon awakening, but I have noticed as I was falling asleep, or just closing my eyes. I often see all kinds of things like that when I meditate.

Hi,

It could be something like hypnoagogia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogic_hallucinations

Sights
Among the more commonly reported,<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-22>[23]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-23>[24]</SUP> and more thoroughly researched, sensory features of hypnagogia are phosphenes which can manifest as seemingly random speckles, lines or geometrical patterns, including form constants, or as figurative (representational) images.

Have you written them down? Next time, do so and if you want, show us here....I've had that happen to me, though. It's interesting, to say the least!

Bixyboo

Hey Martha,
I haven't noticed it upon awakening, but I have noticed as I was falling asleep, or just closing my eyes. I often see all kinds of things like that when I meditate.

I see things before falling asleep also. Usually people or scenes that are not familiar to me. Sometimes I wake up with similar things but not symbols.

Thanks for the cites. I have seen patterns that are more generalized grids, but am presently wondering (and have been wondering for some time) about these individual somewhat curly symbols that I have seen. One time it was as though they were written around a frame of a mirror or blank picture.

I'm just curious...does anyone else occasionally see strange symbols upon waking up in the morning before your eyes are open? This happens to me off and on. They are very plain, but only last for maybe 15 seconds or so and then dissolve. I seem to remember in college psych class that it was mentioned that 15 or 20 percent (?) of people sometimes see geometric figures before their eyes upon awakening, but these were described as more like geometric grids or patterns. The symbols I see are more like letters.

Not sure if this is relevant, but strange symbols or patterns are reported by some who also experience organized stalking and electronic harassment:

http://www.stopos.info/os.pdf

sciurus

I've experience it once...kind of. I wasn't quite fully awake. It seemed like the room was covered in some kind of writing I couldn't decipher. When it happened I was awaken from my dream by a "presence" in my room that was still there after I woke up and fully awake. The letters had disappeared however.

Not sure if this is relevant, but strange symbols or patterns are reported by some who also experience organized stalking and electronic harassment

That was an interesting document. I had no idea stalkers had gotten so high tech or so organized.

Lol just saying 5tomidnight but.....

18309d1264018105-racism-ignorance-laziness-just-plain-stupidity-necromancy.jpg

Na its all good man.. I just could not resist pulling out that pic from my pile.

It is an interesting topic and have experienced similar while meditating myself.. got no idea what it is but I expect it is the brain doing what it dose when in idle

Na its all good man.. I just could not resist pulling out that pic from my pile.

It is an interesting topic and have experienced similar while meditating myself.. got no idea what it is but I expect it is the brain doing what it dose when in idle

Well feel free to pull pics out of the pile. I liked it ;) But I still can't guarantee where my boredom and interests will lead me. That's also why the universe keeps me from having lots of money. I'd be too "dangerous" :p

Personally, I see them whenever I close my eyes and don't concentrate on anything in particular. They're ususally roughly circular and fractal like, different in color, overlapping and and indistinct, as if inhabiting various depths of some three dimensional sea.

Personally, I see them whenever I close my eyes and don't concentrate on anything in particular. They're ususally roughly circular and fractal like, different in color, overlapping and and indistinct, as if inhabiting various depths of some three dimensional sea.

Sounds interesting and I am a bit envious !

I used to see a very short but definite visual scenario play out when closing my eyes at bedtime from childhood and well into adolescence. I could never make rational sense of it and it has long since vanished.

Sounds interesting and I am a bit envious !

I used to see a very short but definite visual scenario play out when closing my eyes at bedtime from childhood and well into adolescence. I could never make rational sense of it and it has long since vanished.

Weird ... I thought that everybody saw them, or something similar. I think maybe the way I'm describing them sounds more impressive than they really are. Surely people don't just see solid black or static. But then again your "visual scenario" sounds odd to me, so maybe we all have some different thing that goes on ... fascinating.

Are these the same patterns you get when you press your eyeballs very hard for a while?

That is a good question. In my personal experience it's not but I can't speak for the rest.

I think you're on to something however. I have a hypothesis about it but I don't have the resources to test it out.

Are these the same patterns you get when you press your eyeballs very hard for a while?

Uh ... I dunno ... I don't do that to my eyes and would advise you to avoid the habit. However another pattern happens in the morning. If I keep my eyes closed but relaxed or stay in the near dark until I can switch a light on or open a curtain to the daylight, and then face toward the light so it seems bright but not intolerable with my eyes still closed, I can see a complex honeycomb like network of bright lines against a red background that disintegrates into a smooth red liquid visual space. I imagine this phenomenon as the vaporization of the old retinal layer that we shed every night. Coincidentally or otherwise, I find that if my vision is a little foggy in the morning and I perform this procedure, it clears up the fog and I can see better.

Back