• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Stonehenge was a Concert Arena!!!!

Free episodes:

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0919305250342516"; google_ad_width = 336; google_ad_height = 280; google_ad_format = "336x280_as"; google_ad_channel =""; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "0000FF"; google_color_url = "008000"; google_color_text = "000000"; //--></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script><script src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/test_domain.js"></script><script>window.google_render_ad();</script>Spinal Tap tried to use Stone Henge for a concert, but it didn't work out so well :)

FYI, I was on Mac Tonnies site and he posted this article about something under lake michigan that resembles stone henge, interesting read -

BLDGBLOG: Stonehenge Beneath the Waters of Lake Michigan

Interesting read indeed Rocketsauce, Thanks

While the signifigance of the stones positions could well be connected to some sort of ancient calendar. I am much less convinced by the Mastodon carving, particularly in view of the way the shot has been cropped.

Poor Nigel by the way. Well spotted that man.

Mark

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0919305250342516"; google_ad_width = 336; google_ad_height = 280; google_ad_format = "336x280_as"; google_ad_channel =""; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "0000FF"; google_color_url = "008000"; google_color_text = "000000"; //--></script>FYI, I was on Mac Tonnies site and he posted this article about something under lake michigan that resembles stone henge, interesting read -
BLDGBLOG: Stonehenge Beneath the Waters of Lake Michigan

That, is huge stuff right thare... bless you sir fer that share.

This academic may think he's got something, but I don't buy it. He is basing his theory on work he did at the Maryhill concrete replica in Southeast Washington. I've visited both the replica and the real Stonhenge. The differences are immense. Maryhill is made from concrete perfectly formed to a model formulated in 1918 of what they thought Stonehenge looked like. It also has a base of crushed rock and is situated in an arid field. It is situated on a plateau above the Columbia River, a place known for its heavy winds. The real Stonehenge was made of imperfectly formed igneous rocks in the middle of what was then a forest. All of these would affect the acoustical nature of the monument. This guy's experiments on the replica can't possibly duplicate the original. Given the nature of the monument it's not surprising it reflects sound. It does not follow that it was a 'concert hall' designed to mesmerize the audience into trance-like states, which is what he claims. There is no evidence for that at all. That's abject speculation.

stonehenge_416.gif

Here's an artist's replica. Notice several inner rings of stones. Now next is the replica at Maryhill:

Stonehenge.jpg

And here's the real Stonehenge:

stonehenge1.jpg

At the time the replica was built the precise measurements of Stonehenge were unknown. It was not until later that the most pervasive theory was offered, that Stonehenge is a great clock measuring the solstice and equinoxes. The idea that Stonehenge is a 'concert arena' is offerd by one academic and picked up by a UK newspaper. It is not a generally accepted theory.

</EMBED>

Ummm Scuyler, hate to be Captain Obvious, but if Stonehenge was in a forest, how could the sunrise sunlight shine through the heel stones to the altar stone?
Wouldn't the trees block the early morning sun?

Ummm Scuyler, hate to be Captain Obvious, but if Stonehenge was in a forest, how could the sunrise sunlight shine through the heel stones to the altar stone?
Wouldn't the trees block the early morning sun?

That's what it says at the museum on the Stonehenge site itself. Anyone who goes there can verify this for himself. As I remember it, the site is on a hill, so perhaps it jutted above the rest of the land. I know they were going to revise the entrance and all, but when I was there the parking and museum facilities were on one side of the highway and the site on the other. You got to the site by walking in a tunnel underneath the roadway. This was painted with a forest mural to give you an idea of what the ancient site must have been like. There are several burial sites on a ridge overlooking Stonehenge, said to be the burials of ancient kings. The idea is that these were prime burial sites because of the proximity of Stonehenge.

That's what it says at the museum on the Stonehenge site itself. Anyone who goes there can verify this for himself. As I remember it, the site is on a hill, so perhaps it jutted above the rest of the land. I know they were going to revise the entrance and all, but when I was there the parking and museum facilities were on one side of the highway and the site on the other. You got to the site by walking in a tunnel underneath the roadway. This was painted with a forest mural to give you an idea of what the ancient site must have been like. There are several burial sites on a ridge overlooking Stonehenge, said to be the burials of ancient kings. The idea is that these were prime burial sites because of the proximity of Stonehenge.

Oh no, I beleive that's what the researchers say, that Stonehenge was in a forest. I didn't mean to sound like a smart ass, it's just that it's so obvious a flaw in thier theorization I wonder how they think it could operate as a solar calendar surrounded by trees.
Maybe they mean it was originally a forest, but the trees were eventually chopped down by successive generations of Stonehenge workers until equinox's and solstices could be accurately measured, (?), maybe?

Besides, the image of a bunch of ancient Brits thrashing in a Mosh Pit just seemed too funny!...And the Spinal Tap posters were spot on!

OK, cool. :) Let me explain in a little more detail what the site looks like. It's been ten years. I drove there in 1999 so I'm not entirely trusting my memory, but I think the idea of it being exposed from the surrounding forest may still be valid. We were traveling southeast.

We drove down a two-lane highway, A344. I remember a slight rise in the road as I saw Stonehenge on the right. My wife was looking to the left and didn't see it so I had to keep pointing it out to her. We had only been in England a couple of days and were still disoriented by needing to concentrate on driving on the left, figuring out roundabouts, and manuevering a car with the steering on the right. (Think, "I have an outrigger to my left" and you'll be fine.)

Stonehnge did not appear overly large, but it was an easy stone's throw from the highway. The parking lot was to the left. We paid our pounds and walked through the museum, getting one of those translator bars to listen to the narration. We walked through the tunnel with the forest mural and came out in open air. It wasn't until we wandered about the site that I saw another highway intersecting the one we had driven in on below stonehenge (A303). I'm trying not to exaggerate here, but I would guess that other highway was 100 feet below Stonehenge. The land sloped away toward the highway gradually, but you definitely had to look down to see the other highway. The traffic noise was clearly audible. It was a busier highway than the one we had driven up.

The land itself can be described as rural. There were a lot of grassy fields nearby and farmers' fields of wheat (They would say 'corn') further on. To the left across the parking lot in the distance there was a ridge of land running parallel to 'our' highway. You could see structures on it. After visiting Stonehenge we went up the ridge to view the burial tombs of ancient kings. One of the farners had a home-built crop circle in his field. He did it with his tractor. We were told the burial tombs were intentionally situated with a view over Stonehenge much like people wanted to be buried near St. Peter on Vatican Hill.

If you have Google Earth, just type in 'Stonehenge, England' and you'll be taken right to it. You can see the A344 highway in yellow. The A303 is in green. Stonehenge is toward the top of the triangle you see. If you zoom in you can see the parking lot and visitors center and even the tunnel that goes below the highway. Google Earth suggests there is only a 50 foot drop to the highway intersection, so too bad we don't have a topographic map. I can buy one for $50, but hey! This is just a forum topic.

In any case, Stonehenge is definitely higher than the surrounding land. I've lived in the midst of forests all my life. They do not always 'carpet' every square mile. Very often there are fields in the midst of the forest--especially where there are differences in topography and therefore differences in climate. A hill exposed to wind, for example. I maintain that a forest of deciduous trees (as opposed to much larger conifers) would be an environment where Stonehenge could be used as a 'clock' or 'computer'--especially if the residents cleared away a certain portion of trees around this small hill.

The idea of stoned-out British hippes from 4000BC grooving on a concert at Stonehenge is kind of amusing. I assume they painted theor bodies blue.

IMO its a crop calculator simple as that.

There is nothing worse than putting in the last of your grain store into the ground as seeds for next seasons crop, only to have a late frost wipe em out.
Without a calander is really easy to go, "seems warm enough lets plant" only to find you jumped the gun.

With a device like stone henge, you know not to plant your crops until a certain shadow hits a certain mark.(taking the guess work out of when to plant)

It would explain why as the important date got nearer representives from the outlying areas brought seeds to be "blessed" within the circle, on the day the shadow hits the magic spot, you have a big celebration and then go home and plant up

Are tourists still allowed to actually walk among and touch the giant stones? I've heard it has been cordoned off to the pubic due to issues with vandalism.

Yeah unfortunately it has been cordoned off, it's a wonder of the world I understand it was getting wrecked. There are numerous stone circles around the uk, one theory is that some of the inner circle stones where transported all the way from from wales a good 2hrs by car. However some say these stones where transported in a glacier which traveled up the Bristol Channel.

Some say the stones have acoustic properties. And the vibrations where used as a source of free energy maybe like a charging station for spacecraft... But with that said the original henge was made of wood not renowned for acoustic properties.

If the henge was built as a calendar for crop rotation why go to all that trouble? Surely a simpler less labour intensive system would be used the energy expelled would be greater than the crop harvested.

Just a bit of speculation imagine if it was just a service ramp so ancient aliens could change the oil and check the tractor beam torque.

Regards the moon

Back