1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Paracast, the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, plus show transcripts, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, Classic Episodes and Special Features categories! We now offer lifetime memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://www.theparacast.com/introducing-the-paracast/

The Official Paracast Store is back! Check out our latest lineup of customized stuff at: The Official Paracast Store!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Paracast TV' started by Mr. Fibuli, May 18, 2017.

1. blowfish

blowfish Whittingham

So does gravitational waves play a part in the fabric of "quantum complexity theory"? The current search for so called ET signatures of spacecraft currently from some SETI researchers downunder would it be possible to find these signatures with exoplanet oceans as human technologies advances with underwater drones with sonar and could black holes be the part of a matrix type system?

2. marduk

marduk quelling chaos since 2352BC

Combat Epistomologist
    Oh crap that’s right.

3. marduk

marduk quelling chaos since 2352BC

Combat Epistomologist
    As a giant Star Trek fan, one of my favorite things to do is complain endlessly about it.

4. Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect USI Calgary

Home Page:
    I don't know enough about Quantum Complexity Theory to answer that question, but hypothetically someone could consider the problem. They've considered black hole event horizons. As a side note, gravitational waves are generally misunderstood to be equated with something analogous to radio waves. That is as waves of particles ( or whatever ) that cause gravity, but that's not the case. What scientists are referring to as waves is the varying amplitude ( so to speak ) due to rapidly orbiting bodies such as binary stars or black holes. Or sometimes collisions. So to clarify the analogy, the waves are like ripples in a lake created by two boats going around in a circle. These waves aren't creating the water ( that makes up the gravity ), they're just creating a noticeable disturbance in the existing fields.
    I don't know what program it is you are referring to there.
    You mean like what Proxima b might be like? If so, I suppose that if we could send an underwater drone there with sonar that it could take sonar readings, but they would be just like any other sonar readings, meaning they'd be acoustic signatures rather than gravitational. Sounds like a cool idea though. We've made land probes that explore land surfaces, so why not explore oceans too? I suppose the next step would be something amphibious and then something that could handle land, sea, and air. Then finally something that can leave the planet too. I suspect that some UFOs are something along those lines. The thing I saw acted very much like a probe rather than a passenger vessel.
    As Chalmers suggests, anything could be part of a Matrix type system to the extent that what we perceive is interpreted as our reality. However viewing the universe as a computational construct of sorts is actually a bit different. It doesn't presume that our minds are "jacked in", but that everything in the observable universe ( including our brain ) is part of the construct. Hopefully this gives us some freedom to independently discern what else is going on within the construct besides what's going on inside our own heads.

Black holes present a bit of a problem in that they're a sort of paradox of nothing being something that is also extremely massive. IMO a computational construct is the only way to reconcile the paradox, otherwise it seems like black holes would be impossible. Assuming we're in a computational construct, there must be some arbitrary quantization going on to resolve the infinite recursion problem. Ultimately this would be necessary for a lot of things, otherwise a computational construct would also be impossible ( as pointed out in the QMC article we were just referring to ).

But to be perfectly honest, a lot of this is at the limit of my ability to make sense of. For that matter I suppose it's pretty much at the edge of anybody's ability. These are the big questions, the ones nobody can be 100% sure at this time that we have the right answers to. I try to be as logical as I can, so I tend to think my views are more reasonable than some others, but until we know what's really going on in the big picture, all we can do is say that one thing seems to make more sense than another, so follow that direction, and most importantly, change that direction when better evidence or reasoning comes along.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    blowfish and marduk like this.
  5. Greers Meeting Planner

Greers Meeting Planner Paranormal Adept

Ah yuh huh.

Welcome to the hypocrisy that is gender equality. Females under index in the most senior paid jobs in society like execs and they also under index in crappy manual Labour jobs like trash collection and street cleaning. Strangely enough the push for equal representation seems to be only at the senior end

But yes, equal representation for men and women means all men must be represented as sinister douche bags

Usual Suspect likes this.
  6. Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect USI Calgary

Home Page:
    Or if they're too likeable, to be destined to bite the dust a la redshirt style :p.