• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Star Trek Beyond: First Trailer

All I needed to see was "from the people who brought you Fast & Furious"

I sure hope J.J. doesn't go down this path on the next Star Wars installment.

So a rousing adventure with plenty of humor isn't in the tradition of Star Trek, which has always had its humorous elements. We shouldn't assume anything about the production team beyond what is presented in the trailer. Since the Star Wars film opens this coming week, we'll know soon enough. Remember, though, that J.J.'s company, Bad Robot, still produces Star Trek even if he isn't at the helm.

True enough, I think it was the Beastie Boys soundtrack that had me scratching me head but I was actually talking about the Next Star Wars not the one that opens in a few days, this forthcoming one looks solid.

I think Solo is going to buy the farm in this one though.

True enough, I think it was the Beastie Boys soundtrack that had me scratching me head but I was actually talking about the Next Star Wars not the one that opens in a few days, this forthcoming one looks solid.

I think Solo is going to buy the farm in this one though.
What ?! :p Beastie soundtrack makes me interested more since I'm only really bothered about the Nimoy-verse. I still haven't seen Into Darkness it's one of those meh, eventually things.
If they came out with a Captain Worf show I'd be jumping up and down though!;)

Looks brilliant Gene. I really like the casting for Kirk, Bones and Spock. Scotty? Not really.....

What I love about JJ Abrams is his flair for big action set-pieces but contrasted with good dialogue and humour. Some directors are good at the action but are lacking in other areas of movie-making but for movies like the new Star Trek's I really think there is no-one to touch JJ at all.
I'm really hoping he finds a good balance with the new Star Wars movie which should have a quickly progressing plot that is easy to follow and flows well, like the original Star Wars movies. I mean with Star Wars it's not about lots of guessing or interpretation etc. Each and every person watching the new Star Wars movie should be able to follow the story easily first viewing, and not have to do any 'working it out' in their heads whilst watching. The plot should be relatively simple and easy to follow, but not in a way that means it is a simpleton's or young kids movie alone.

Scotty? Well, Pegg does it with a twinkle in his eye, but nobody can replace Canadian Jimmy Doohan (whom I met at a Star Trek convention long, long ago).

And don't forget Pegg's scriptwriting expertise and his contribution to Beyond.

I rewatched the first Star Trek reboot last week and WOW was it a fun ride. The Sulu swordfight on the floating platform was about perfect for this grumpy old nerd.

Into Darkness was not fun for me. I don't recall anything I liked. It just seemed weak and the casting of the villain seemed forced. I won't be watching it again to better analyze it.

This third one I'll be glad to see, as a bit of a tiebreaker.

And if Mr. Fibuli gets a Worf movie then I want a Tasha Yar solo adventure too. :)

I rewatched the first Star Trek reboot last week and WOW was it a fun ride. The Sulu swordfight on the floating platform was about perfect for this grumpy old nerd.

Into Darkness was not fun for me. I don't recall anything I liked. It just seemed weak and the casting of the villain seemed forced. I won't be watching it again to better analyze it.

This third one I'll be glad to see, as a bit of a tiebreaker.

And if Mr. Fibuli gets a Worf movie then I want a Tasha Yar solo adventure too. :)

Tasha got a really lame screen death. It was like she pissed off the LA tar pits or something. She looked great in the uniform and could handle herself well. Another along those lines but far more rebellious is our old friend Ensign Ro Laren, the first Bajoran we are introduced to before the whole DS9 thing which happens to be my fav incarnation and is coincidentally on TV over here right now and my box is set to automatically tape them all. Even though I've probably seen the entire DS9 collection at least twice all the way through, I still can enjoy watching them again because even if you remember the main story arcs, each individual episode I find full of things I'd forgotten all about.

Morn! Garak! Major Kira in the alternate universe!

I can never see Pegg without thinking of him as Spaced.
I'd be elated for any of the ST crew. There's a petition for a Captain Worf show I saw online that's why I called that out.

Did anyone else ever go to the Star Trek experience thing in Las Vegas? It was a win for nerds everywhere and gave me something to do since I don't wager (except against ferengi)

Original costumes and props, full scale DS9 bar. It was nerdtastic.

Back