• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Spielberg knows what he saw in UFO documentary

Unky

Martian Baby
3-Steven-Spielberg-1999-250.jpg

Director Steven Spielberg speaking at the Pentagon in 1999 (image credit: pentagon./gov/photod)

James Fox is almost gleeful. The world famous film director and producer Steven Spielberg has viewed James Fox’s documentary, “I Know What I Saw,” through a mutual friend and commented on it in a letter. In a career spanning more than four decades, Spielberg has to his credit such UFO-related great films as Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial (1982), The War of the Worlds (2005) and the mini-series Taken (2002), among many others. Fox is now in receipt of the letter, but cannot make the comments public as of yet. Fox said he’s in touch with Spielberg’s publicist, “who would be happy to let that happen.” But the publicist said when Spielberg was asked about going public with the letter his response was, “Not at this time.” In return, Fox’s reply was, “There won’t be a better time.” “Let’s suffice it to say, he’s an advocate of government transparency on the phenomena,” Fox concluded and he will continue to push for permission to publish the contents of the letter because he feels it’s important. “I Know What I Saw” takes a look at the most credible witnesses from around the world testifying at the National Press Club event in Nov. 2007. According to Fox, the event was coordinated with the help of journalist Leslie Kean, who has secured a publisher and is now writing the book version of the movie.
The documentary explores reasons behind government secrecy from those involved at the highest level. One good example is Fife Symington, governor of Arizona at the time of the 1997 Phoenix Lights event, who in the documentary states that Air Force generals, astronauts, military and commercial pilots, government and FAA officials from seven countries tell stories that “will challenge your reality.”

Old and New Dreams
James-Fox-camera.jpg

James Fox covering the Stephenville, Texas, UFO flap (image credit: Angelia Joiner)

When he was a boy Fox had other dreams. He wanted to be a racecar driver and he even attended racing school when he was 20 years-old, breaking the lap record the very first day he raced. But, afterwards he traveled to Europe, learned French and decided there was a lot more to the world than going round and round a track. He turned his attention toward his creative side and learned all he could about filmmaking. It takes more than blood, sweat and tears to make a movie according to Fox; namely, money, tenacity and an ability to overcome obstacles at every turn. Four years in the making, Fox, now in his late thirties, sold the new film to the History Channel in October. It was a decision he was not extremely happy with, but felt he had no choice with investors breathing down his neck to get their monies back. “They were very difficult to work with towards the end,” Fox said. “We had a decent offer and I had to take it. If I had had my way, I would have gone the film festival circuit and got it out that way.” He became interested in UFOs after speaking with two friends, one of which he had the utmost respect. He’s never looked back.
Early on, his dad, Charles Fox, an accomplished journalist who has been published in Rolling Stone, Sports Illustrated and Playboy, among others discouraged his work and told his son he was going down a dead-end road. But, upon accompanying Fox to interview U.S. astronaut Gordon Cooper, an icon of Charles’ time, he sang a different tune. Cooper is featured in the documentary and relates a detailed account of a UFO landing in a dry lake bed at Edwards Air Force Base in California in the 1950s. Fox said of his father that it was his turning point, “He was sold.”
“He recently told me he was very proud of me and the work I’ve done,” Fox said. “That means a lot to me.” James’s father is a quadriplegic (wheelchair bound) from being stricken with multiple sclerosis. “When I was younger, I used to drive him around to his interviews and played nurse and helped him anyway I could,” Fox said. “Then it all turned around and he was going with me to my interviews.” He further commented, that the new film is really a compilation of 12 years of work because it includes clips from “Out of the Blue,” his second film on the subject of UFOs, which was aired in 2003.
2-Pope-Penniston-Halt-Callahan.jpg

Some of the panelists at the National Press Club event in 2007. From left: Nick Pope, Jim Penniston, Col. Charles Halt, James Callahan (image credit: I KNOW WHAT I SAW - The Movie)

Money Matters and New Perspectives
The last two weeks of production were harrowing and a very unpleasant experience for James Fox. Just a few days before broadcast, two high ranking military officers demanded to be taken out of the film if they weren’t paid very large sums of money. He was overwhelmed with the demands and declined to name names, saying he just wanted to put the situation behind him. He also declined to say how the situations were resolved. “That was just one of the many things I had to deal with,” Fox said. “They got the impression I was making millions off their stories, which is not the case. These two represented less than two-percent of the movie. It’s like the story of fishing in the sea. By the time everyone gets a little nibble and you get it reeled in, there’s nothing left.” The sale to the History Channel left Fox with about $20,000. And, in the last weeks he had to come up with $55,000 to finish the “deliverables” on the film. With the investors dried up and upset after Fox went $200,000 over on an original budget agreement of half a million for the film, he put his cherished BMW up to secure a loan from his neighbor. “We were down to the wire trying to scrape up money,” Fox added. Since now the History Channel only has the high definition version of the movie and has rights to air the movie in the U.S. and Canada for five years. James is working on getting both the one-hour and two-hour versions of the film into standard definition and then the channel, he said, will begin broadcasting the film more often.
Fox said, “I’m meeting with some very influential people soon to help promote the movie.” And, more good news is coming down the pike. Fox recently sent the film to MIPCOM in Cannes, France, where industry leaders converge annually in October to shop for content.
“My agent there says we have 88 territories interested in requisition,” Fox said. “I’m told 40 territories would be considered successful.”
Fox also said to keep abreast of the Larry King Live show.
“We had a great show lined up and then Michael Jackson died,” Fox said. “That put a hold on everything while they covered it.”
“We have something in the works with King that involves some pretty cool stuff,” Fox said. “I will be able to say more in a couple of weeks.”
We’re all in your corner James, and we’ll be anxiously awaiting your news.

Steven Spielberg on James Fox Documentary | Openminds.tv

Jeez!? that film cost $700,000 to make!? I had no idea filming such things was so expensive. No wonder he struggled with the financials

As I understand it, if someone writes a letter to you, it becomes your property, not theirs. Perhaps Fix wants to 'maintain trust' and all, but legally speaking, he could release the contents.

A letter to whom? It does not make it clear that the letter was sent to James Fox. Very poorly written "article", linked to Open Minds AND written by a very nice woman (Angelia Joiner) who unfortunately falls into the credulous pit many others have helped dig.

James Fox does good work and I look forward to anything he is involved with.

A letter to whom? It does not make it clear that the letter was sent to James Fox. Very poorly written "article", linked to Open Minds AND written by a very nice woman (Angelia Joiner) who unfortunately falls into the credulous pit many others have helped dig.

James Fox does good work and I look forward to anything he is involved with.

Pretty much, yeah.

http://www.openminds.tv/spielberg-knows-what-he-saw-in-ufo-documentary/
James Fox was a guest on Coast to Coast back in May 14, 2010. where he mentioned again Spielberg's letter that he received.

James Fox stresses again that he can't publish the letter because Spielberg didn't gave him permission for it. In one moment Fox said „He enjoyed my movie but he (Spielberg) won't endorse it in any way…I know how he feels about the subject…parallels my sentiments – let's put it that way“.

You can compare and follow up Spielberg's stand on the subjects and how it changes during the years (at least publicly) on my archived post here:

http://tinyurl.com/393k25w

Best Wishes

Uforadio

James Fox stresses again that he can't publish the letter because Spielberg didn't gave him permission for it. In one moment Fox said „He enjoyed my movie but he (Spielberg) won't endorse it in any way…I know how he feels about the subject…parallels my sentiments – let's put it that way“.]

I guess the implication is that Spielberg's letter contains some information worth knowing about? There's some kind of mystery inherent in this thread.

What could it be?

In all probability, Spielberg finds UFOs as interesting as James Fox does. Although a popular idea amongst some ATSers, I doubt Spielberg has an inside knowledge about UFOs. Call me a heretic, but I don't think Lucas or the producers of Stargate have anymore idea than we do. Even if Spielberg came right out and stated he believes ET are visiting Earth, he'd still have the same credibility in my mind as anyone else on a UFO/paranormal forum.

James Fox stresses again that he can't publish the letter because Spielberg didn't gave him permission for it. In one moment Fox said „He enjoyed my movie but he (Spielberg) won't endorse it in any way…I know how he feels about the subject…parallels my sentiments – let's put it that way“.]

I guess the implication is that Spielberg's letter contains some information worth knowing about? There's some kind of mystery inherent in this thread.

What could it be?

In all probability, Spielberg finds UFOs as interesting as James Fox does. Although a popular idea amongst some ATSers, I doubt Spielberg has an inside knowledge about UFOs. Call me a heretic, but I don't think Lucas or the producers of Stargate have anymore idea than we do. Even if Spielberg came right out and stated he believes ET are visiting Earth, he'd still have the same credibility in my mind as anyone else on a UFO/paranormal forum.

Spielberg has made more money from the possibility of Earthling/Alien interaction than anyone who's ever lived. I suspect he believes whatever his accountant and marketing people tell him to believe. If he saw and liked Fox's movie, he certainly could have given him a positive blurb.

I wonder if Speilberg heard that impassioned report from the gulf where Fox formulated a running conspiracy theory of BP terror after speaking to a 14 year old boy and getting the occasional odd stare. Fox is a self promoter and like Frank Stalter says of Speilberg I suspect he believes and promotes whatever his bank account tells him to believe and promote.

Fox is a self promoter and like Frank Stalter says of Speilberg I suspect he believes and promotes whatever his bank account tells him to believe and promote.

I disagree. James put blood, sweat and tears into I Know What I Saw and his motivation is genuinely to get this subject across to a mainstream audience. I don’t think he’s made any serious financial gain from it (if any at all). But good luck to him if he can. if someone puts a couple of years work into something they deserve some payback. I hope he gets it. It’s a great piece of work. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJanis%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0pt; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {p</style>

I disagree. James put blood, sweat and tears into I Know What I Saw and his motivation is genuinely to get this subject across to a mainstream audience. I don’t think he’s made any serious financial gain from it (if any at all). But good luck to him if he can. if someone puts a couple of years work into something they deserve some payback. I hope he gets it. It’s a great piece of work. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJanis%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0pt; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {p</style>

I thought IKWIS was a very good doc. A guy in Fox's position pretty much needs to be a self promoter. Who's going to do it for him? I don't see any negative in that.

I have Out of the Blue and think it's a fantastic documentary. I'll be purchasing I Know What I Saw and have high hopes. Fox clearly put his heart and soul into this project and seeks to gain the public eye with this form of creative property. If we can have a podcast that's turning into a money-maker for half it's creative team, why can't Fox glean a bit of financial compensation, even profit, for his own work? Being more on the ghost hunting side, I find his hard-line take toward ufo's very appealing.

Article from Open Minds Productions:

Spielberg confirms Reagan extraterrestrial comment

Alejandro Rojas, Jun 06, 2011
The rumors are finally confirmed, during a special screening of ET: The Extra-Terrestrial at the White house in 1982, Ronald Reagan did make a comment about everything in the movie being true. However, Spielberg says he is pretty sure Reagan was only joking around.

Rest on the source link: http://tinyurl.com/3u2pqua

Previous posts on Steven Spielberg and UFOs:
http://www.ufoupdateslist.com/2009/dec/m17-002.shtml
http://www.ufoupdateslist.com/2009/dec/m18-005.shtml
http://www.ufoupdateslist.com/2010/aug/m02-007.shtml

Best Wishes

Back