• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

So I'm looking for a house...

I used to do architectual design, and have made a set of plans for an 18' X 24' self sustaining 4 season greenhouse.

There would be a Solar array to capture sun/heat batteries to power the night time grow lights, sprinklers for half the greenhouse, a small pond for water to drain off into, filtration to capture various waste products from the fish, feeding them into the sprinklers to be distributed over the plants as fertilizer.

There would also an electric heat system in the winter that would kick on, as well as venting for the summer.

Lots of stuff went into the design of it. When we get the house, I will likely document the process of construction. The price tag isn't that bad since I'm making all of my own components, with the exception of the glass / plastic.

Kick ass. We are on a similar page. I don't have the automation you're talking about, but I'm working on compact, self-sustaining, food-production design myself. Suburban housing tracts, converted into gardens, would kill corporate food-suppliers (Rot in Hell Monsanto!) and boost local economies.
Not to mention, 'Real Food' tastes better.
Oh, yeah...you're fasting. I'm going to eat a fried pork-chop, some mac-and-cheese, and big pile of best gawdamn cole-slaw on the planet in your honor.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/03/02-3

Over the course of the last growing season, my wife and I weighed every item that came out of our garden and calculated that we grew $2,200 worth of organic fruits and vegetables, which we're still happily eating our way through. And that's not counting all the sweet peaches, snappy snap beans and drip-down-your-chin tomatoes that never made it as far as our kitchen scale. If you take into consideration that there are more than 50 million American households with modest yards like mine who could be making healthy, homegrown savings of their own, those are no small potatoes.

Kick ass. We are on a similar page. I don't have the automation you're talking about, but I'm working on compact, self-sustaining, food-production design myself. Suburban housing tracts, converted into gardens, would kill corporate food-suppliers (Rot in Hell Monsanto!) and boost local economies.
Not to mention, 'Real Food' tastes better.
Oh, yeah...you're fasting. I'm going to eat a fried pork-chop, some mac-and-cheese, and big pile of best gawdamn cole-slaw on the planet in your honor.

When My 30 day fast is over, I'll be healthier for it.

I'm actually looking forward to having a healthier lifestyle afterward. No more corn dogs, or any of that other processed nonsense. We have a bunch of starter plants growing in the sun room. Our cats had mowed them down to nothing until we blockaded the plants.

Rotten cats.

It's looking like we will have a house a little sooner. Now we just need to find a house we like.

The occasional fast is good for most people. When the body has no food to burn, and starts to digest itself for fuel, all the sick cells are first to go. I've never gone longer than 5 days, but I was over the pain of hunger by the 3rd day. My girlfriend and I have rolled back our typical American eating schedule to 2 meals a day, breakfast and a late lunch, a light snack in the evening if the tummy is growling, no fat dinner to sleep on, and it seems to be working pretty well. I hear that around week two or three the visions start. Keep us filled in. Peace and good-luck.

Day 6. Stopped being hungry. Have NOT stopped being an asshole.

The upside to my being on a fast, is that most people attribute my horrible attitude to the not eating. The truth of the matter, is that I find that food might have been the only thing that made my body feel decent to where I was more congenial.

I'm kind of lethargic, and have issues sometimes keeping my thoughts coherent. The Dreams however are fricking lucid, and in some ways very scary.

Have also noticed a major jump in my precog processes. Today I knew I was getting a package in the mail, even though I had no idea that someone had sent me one. Turns out, it was something I needed to replace for a customer. Other things seem to be amped up 9 ways to sunday.

I'm thinking that if I feel okay like this, I should be able to make it through the full 30 days.

my hothouse .

the vid starts with some footage of an "installation" i call "Earth elements" and winds up in the hothouse, down the back is where the real vegie patch lives along with the fruit trees etc

i think it was snowing, and the glowing is the flash reflecting off the snow...you can see other smaller ones in the pix. Same thing happened to me when I was taking pix of our "snowstorm" last week.

Tommy,
How do you like the upside town tomato-planter thingie? I'm thinking about trying those this year.

you'll see one in my hothouse vid, made in the good old USA it is too.
ive got a cherry tomato plant in mine, and its thrown at least one hand of ten fruit, so the plant is happy.

im expecting this plant to do well over winter as its suspended off the ground and hopefully will be frost proof as a result.
if crop yeilds over winter are obviously higher in this config, i will buy a few more of these

Tommy,
How do you like the upside town tomato-planter thingie? I'm thinking about trying those this year.
The only advantage I've seen is the space savings. The plants were noticeably less productive than the ones in the ground. Also, you don't have spend money on the thing on t.v. 5 gallon buckets work fine. You can usually pick those up for free beside the dumpster behind a restaurant.

Tommy,
The only advantage I've seen is the space savings. The plants were noticeably less productive than the ones in the ground. Also, you don't have spend money on the thing on television. 5 gallon buckets work fine. You can usually pick those up for free beside the dumpster behind a restaurant.

After seeing how they work, the wife said, We should just get some buckets and punch holes in the bottom and make them ourselves.

My wife is smart like that. Even my superior brain and intellect have its off days.

i paid 25 ausdols for the one im trying, thats prob just over ten US bucks a pop, and they are very well made with steel cables to take the weight etc.

if you are going to DIY be sure to use food grade plastic, they get warm in a hot house and you wouldnt want toxic chems leeching into the soil, and being absorbed by the plant.

reminds me of a story about horse poo.............

i once got onto a source of cheap horse poo, and was amazed at how well the plants in the garden went after i applied it, "mutant" is a good word to describe the size of some of the fruit and plant growth, turns out it was from racing horses who get injected with all sorts of steroids and growth hormones........

excellent for plants you dont intend to eat such as roses, but i keep it clear of the vegie patch nowadays.

Wow....

I have a minor in Chemistry, and know a lot about how to grow healthy plants.

At any rate, We found a house but it's not condusive to a green house. Unless I find a way to create an underground lair.

Back