• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

So I'm looking for a house...

T

Tommy Allison

I'm scoping out houses and thought, let's see what kind of cheap properties are for sale.

Well, I'm zipping through the listings, and this house photo kind of intrigued me.

TheMLSonline.com - St. Paul Listing, $45,000, MLS#3647723 - Call 763-576-8286

It's an overcast day in St. Paul, and yet... There's a big fat glowing orb in the picture.

I'm not a big believer in this sort of thing, but when I saw this picture it made me wonder.

I look forward to everyone's comments.

I think it's the flash from an auto-shoot camera taken through the window of the car from the street. The real estate agent has a cheap camera. It's darkish outside. The flash is on auto, and off it goes. Other evidence is that he picture is darker than it ought to be. Well if the flash is engaged it auto-sets the time to 1/60th of a second, which is not long enough under these shooting conditions. I realize at 1/30th the picture might blur, but this stuff is all on autopilot and the agent probably doesn't know how to override the camera, or even that he should.

People do this all the time. You can see it in a stadium or concert setting with all the flashes going off from the stands. That means all those pictures are totally useless because the flash can't possibly lighten up anything that far away.

I see what you mean Tommy. It does look more defined and more plasma-like than most of the so called orb photos.

Im sure it is just light in the camera though.

My first thought was that it was the camera flash against a car window, but if it did that, then you'd have a lot more reflection because of where you sit in relation to the window.

Unless they have super clean windows in the car.

Anyway, it was an interesting picture for the time of day and the overcast nature of the house. There are also 2 other light sources inside the house which are probably just lights.

Thanks for the input. We're looking for a house, and after looking at about 200 houses online, I ran across something that was sort of neat.

My first thought was that it was the camera flash against a car window, but if it did that, then you'd have a lot more reflection because of where you sit in relation to the window.

Unless they have super clean windows in the car.

I think the agent had the camera pretty close to the window. There's snow outside, so it has to be pretty cold, so he/she didn't want to roll down the window. That would explain the concentrated light.

BTW, I can't believe the prices!

I recommend everyone take a look at our housing prices and compare them to the national average.

In some places, they are outrageous, we're talking like half a million for a 3 bedroom house on the lake in town, to dirt ass cheap.

The house we were really wanting got sold before we could get an offer in, which pissed us off pretty royally.

Anyway, there's all kinds of places to buy in my area, and they're really affordable. However... Our winters are like Ice Planet Hoth. THEY SUCK.

We just got another foot of fucking snow today. It's nearly March. When I moved here, we got snow in MAY.

Yes, MAY.

The downside to living here is spring takes forever to actually get here. The upside? There's a surplus of available women who want guys who are handy.

Got hit on twice in front of the wife. Seriously, women here are desperate.

Interesting pic!

I personally say it's a drop of water that light reflected off of either on your camera lens or on your car window (if you had it closed?).

I'm not the guy who took the picture.

Only a moron would use a flash inside a car, in broad daylight. Then again... we are talking about either a seller or realtor.

We just got another foot of fucking snow today. It's nearly March. When I moved here, we got snow in MAY.

Must be global warming.

The downside to living here is spring takes forever to actually get here. The upside? There's a surplus of available women who want guys who are handy.

Got hit on twice in front of the wife. Seriously, women here are desperate.
Wow. I'm envious. Course I wouldn't survive. My wife would kill me.

lol

That must have been tough. How'd you give her the "Ill call you later" signal without your wife seeing?

The funny part was I didn't catch it until my wife told me. I look like the attainable kind of guy. Meaning, I'm not pretty, nor am I easy on the eyes.
I look like the handy type. The kind of guy who will mow the yard, and fix the car.

It's probably because I am that kind of guy, but with a brain. Anyway, the wife found it amusing that I was too stupid to figure it out. I blame my parents for not instilling in me a sense of self esteem.

The funny part was I didn't catch it until my wife told me. I look like the attainable kind of guy. Meaning, I'm not pretty, nor am I easy on the eyes.
I look like the handy type. The kind of guy who will mow the yard, and fix the car.

It's probably because I am that kind of guy, but with a brain. Anyway, the wife found it amusing that I was too stupid to figure it out. I blame my parents for not instilling in me a sense of self esteem.

lol :D

funny

Black Sabbath...

Anyway, am still looking for a house. Something with a large yard so I can build a giant green house.

Black Sabbath...

Anyway, am still looking for a house. Something with a large yard so I can build a giant green house.

yeah they are well worth the investment, the local media has been running stories lately saying we have to expect the quality of fruit and veg to be poor, due to the extreem weather weve had, heatwaves that cook apples on the tree down south, and floods that have stopped the picking of fruit in the north.

so we are being told to expect soft tomatoes and yellow wilted brocolli etc etc, the papers recipie sections have been giving tips on how to prepare this food to best advantage...... and its expensive

we on the other hand are enjoying the freshest of food, at the cheapest possible cost, thanks to the hothouse
about a month ago we bought a bag of dried red kidney beans at the supermarket for just over a dollar, i sprinkled these into the vegie patch and now have hundreds of bean plants, im gonna have red beans fresh and dried coming out the wazzoo eventually

I used to do architectual design, and have made a set of plans for an 18' X 24' self sustaining 4 season greenhouse.

There would be a Solar array to capture sun/heat batteries to power the night time grow lights, sprinklers for half the greenhouse, a small pond for water to drain off into, filtration to capture various waste products from the fish, feeding them into the sprinklers to be distributed over the plants as fertilizer.

There would also an electric heat system in the winter that would kick on, as well as venting for the summer.

Lots of stuff went into the design of it. When we get the house, I will likely document the process of construction. The price tag isn't that bad since I'm making all of my own components, with the exception of the glass / plastic.

Back