• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sleep paralysis - who else has experienced this?

I was always struck by the common theme of sleep paralysis attacks across the ages and in different cultures, like we all are taping into the same well. It really did make me wonder if there are people out there who have dreamt of being in front of a class without any pants and yet never attended a school or were home schooled.

As far as SP while I can understand the biological aspects of the condition (incapacity to move, breath) i wonder why we are conditioned to sense an intruder, more to the point I wonder if there are people who experience the physiological symptoms but not the visual and auditorial symptoms and if they don't, why? I wonder if there are otherwise impaired either emotionally or mentally.

Last edited:
After reading the accounts in this thread I think it’s worth mentioning that it was only after 1975 that the idea of dark matter was widely accepted, after red-shift observations on spiral galaxy arms were published. In other words, pre-1975-physics (and all that depends on it, e.g. chemistry and biology) was essentially unaware of a massive amount of physical substance that actually makes up the universe, substance that no one has seen. One can suppose, then, that in a similar way, empirical science is simply unequipped to grasp a realm where sentient agents interact with us on the fringe of our perception.

When I was about thirteen, a basketball-sized white luminescent sphere simply appeared on the living room floor between me and my little sister, who was sitting on the floor about six feet away. After about a two count, seemingly to make sure I’d seen it, the sphere moved to my left about six feet and passed under a wooden bureau with a four inch clearance, and then disappeared through metal floor ventilation grating under the bureau. No physical traces.

Then, about sixteen, I was cleaning my dad’s 1911 .45 pistol. He’d taught us kids gun safety and though we weren’t nuts about weapons, Midwest farming folk usually have a few. I popped out the loaded magazine, pulled the slide back to make sure the pistol was unloaded, broke it down, cleaned it, reassembled it and fiddled with it for a couple more minutes. I popped the magazine out again. At that moment I perceived clear articulate words, internally: “Put it to your head and pull the trigger” (as a joke). I was disturbed about that thought because I was not a prankster, nor was I suffering from depression, nor was I on legal or illegal drugs. Perplexed, I pulled the slide back and . . . out popped a round. I was stunned. I’d chambered a round by mistake. If I’d played along with this malicious “trickster” suggestion mom’s kitchen would have been a freaking 45-to-the-head bloody mess. I had no idea what this meant at the time but it was disquieting.

About eight years later, in around 1978, I had about seven of the so-called sleep paralysis experiences. I was 24 and in the USMC where I was a fire-control radar tech for F-4 Phantoms. In those days I’d not heard of “sleep paralysis” or of “abduction” or of anything like what I experienced. About two years prior to these experiences I’d started questioning my materialistic worldview and I had begun exploring a theistic worldview, and for about a year I’d been reading the Bible to see what it said, since I had no idea. The seven SP experiences were all similar. I’d wake from sound sleep at around 03:00 (give or take) paralyzed, sensing intense strangulation around my neck, and sensing a malevolent presence, though nothing was visible. I was highly agitated because of the strangulation, and I had no idea at all of what was going on. The only thing that came to my mind was to call to Jesus Christ for aid. So I struggled against the paralysis, trying to move my tongue. The moment I could form “Je” (as in Jesus) I’d instantly be released and I’d gulp in air, as if I’d been held underwater too long. Following that first episode I figured this must be some kind of of “spiritual” attack, as in biblical conceptualization.

Around that same time I had an unforgettable and very unpleasant vivid dream involving an ominous, extremely ugly old lady. Total downer of a dream experience. I was unaware of “Old Hag” reports for another twenty years, but, surprisingly enough, my first thought about the experience when it happened was that this repulsive figure was literally some kind of Old Hag. Again around that same time another vivid dream in which I was alone with a stunning brunette who resembled Elizabeth Taylor in her prime (woohoo!). The instant my lips touched her skin in a kiss, my entire vision field turned completely into reptilian scales, like those of a black snake, and I also sensed a repulsive, nauseating, overpowering reptilian presence that was really beyond description. I awoke instantly, totally grossed out. (Talk about bait and switch!) I sensed a subtle communication just at the verbal threshold, to the effect: “Ha, ha, ha! Got you, you stupid bastage!” My construal has been that this experience was satanic reptilian, not extra-terrestrial alien reptilian. Also, since then, as a theist I’ve had some wonderfully positive experiences on the other side of the sensation spectrum, which coincide with biblical reports.

May all who are tormented find relief.

Thanks for sharing this unique experiences very fascinating mate

Thanks for sharing this unique experiences very fascinating mate

You're welcome Azz7092!

Gene, you mentioned unscheduled proctological examinations. I suspect that many victims of such experiences often think better than to report such things because of the snicker factor, but I’ll go ahead and mention that one night about seven years ago, while sleeping soundly and alone in an apartment I’d recently moved into, I experienced a sudden, extremely powerful vibration for about one second in said orifice. Yes, I was instantly awakened. This highly unpleasant experience occurred to me one more time several months later under the same circumstances. These experiences occurred to me several years before I came across other similar reports on the internet. The most unsettling aspect is the sense of vulnerability while sleeping in your own locked apartment. I suspect that many women undergo far worse experiences that are too embarrassing to report. I also think Travis Walton had a “real” experience of some kind, far beyond merely subjective mental flatulence, but I doubt that the beings behind it were intergalactic astrobiology grad students doing field research. As a former F-4 radar tech I have to say that the 1976 Teheran UFO incident, with an F-4 radar lock-on of the object, is also highly compelling. Then too, one of Ted Phillips’ more celebrated trace cases is the Delphos, KS case of 1971. I heard a recent interview of Phillips who said that the farm owner, who was the main witness to the event, buried the ring site out of fear that the beings behind the encounter will return and afflict him and his family. Phillips seemed to indicate that the fellow was quite fearful of “them.” One of Kevin Randle’s books, Conversations, which can be purchased for Kindle at $6.99 (not that I necessarily recommend it), describes a woman who undergoes astonishing character changes while under hypnosis, which Randle personally witnessed. Was some latent psychosis expressed during hypnosis? Confabulation? Leading questions? Perhaps any or all. But Randle’s description of the woman could bear the interpretation of an outside sentient agent influencing her, such as is reported in many other parts of the world to this day. So, to me, even taking a non-theistic viewpoint, it looks like many people undergo experiences that are not easily brushed off and that seem to result from strong external sentient interaction. Are they all related? At this stage no one can prove anything, but I personally think there is linkage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here's a first; so I'm on vaca in Florida. I'm sleeping in one room of the condo with my two kids. I'm in one bed, they're in the one next to me. I have other family members in the other bedrooms. Anyways, last night as we are all falling asleep, I put the Paracast + on. About half way through the episode, sleep paralysis kicked in. It was interesting because I was in a state where it was a little frightening because it felt like somebody was pulling my feet up into the air, but at the same time, I knew it was b.s. because I could hear my kids next to me breathing and I could also tell that I was still under the covers. It kinda became comical because I could still hear Gene & Chris on the P+ talking and I made the connection that that's why I'm having this episode is because I'm listening to the P+.

Anyways, made for a weird night.

You're welcome Azz7092!

Gene, you mentioned unscheduled proctological examinations. I suspect that many victims of such experiences often think better than to report such things because of the snicker factor, but I’ll go ahead and mention that one night about seven years ago, while sleeping soundly and alone in an apartment I’d recently moved into, I experienced a sudden, extremely powerful vibration for about one second in said orifice. Yes, I was instantly awakened. This highly unpleasant experience occurred to me one more time several months later under the same circumstances. These experiences occurred to me several years before I came across other similar reports on the internet. The most unsettling aspect is the sense of vulnerability while sleeping in your own locked apartment. I suspect that many women undergo far worse experiences that are too embarrassing to report. I also think Travis Walton had a “real” experience of some kind, far beyond merely subjective mental flatulence, but I doubt that the beings behind it were intergalactic astrobiology grad students doing field research. As a former F-4 radar tech I have to say that the 1976 Teheran UFO incident, with an F-4 radar lock-on of the object, is also highly compelling. Then too, one of Ted Phillips’ more celebrated trace cases is the Delphos, KS case of 1971. I heard a recent interview of Phillips who said that the farm owner, who was the main witness to the event, buried the ring site out of fear that the beings behind the encounter will return and afflict him and his family. Phillips seemed to indicate that the fellow was quite fearful of “them.” One of Kevin Randle’s books, Conversations, which can be purchased for Kindle at $6.99 (not that I necessarily recommend it), describes a woman who undergoes astonishing character changes while under hypnosis, which Randle personally witnessed. Was some latent psychosis expressed during hypnosis? Confabulation? Leading questions? Perhaps any or all. But Randle’s description of the woman could bear the interpretation of an outside sentient agent influencing her, such as is reported in many other parts of the world to this day. So, to me, even taking a non-theistic viewpoint, it looks like many people undergo experiences that are not easily brushed off and that seem to result from strong external sentient interaction. Are they all related? At this stage no one can prove anything, but I personally think there is linkage.
Only read this today.I had exactly the same experience in a hotel when said orifice vibrated,I wasn't alone though she was fast asleep.I was paralyzed in sleep paralysis but broke free by shouting out a choice Anglo Saxon phrase,which woke my partner who thought I'd been dreaming.I was definitely awake.

Me too in the past I felt the same sensation I have to wonder if perhaps the contraction of muscles in one's bowels are a physiological response thus giving the sensation of penetration.

Me too in the past I felt the same sensation I have to wonder if perhaps the contraction of muscles in one's bowels are a physiological response thus giving the sensation of penetration.
Quite possibly.I didn't sense or see anyone or anything in the room,just the usual sleep paralysis symptoms.

i have had some instances where only if I'm really tired i go to a semi conscious sleep but can't open eyes or move but i feel someone or something is close to my face and sniffing me ! only had this while working in Afghanistan and Iraq and on one occasion i heard what felt like a women telling me (in my head) that everything is all ok and be calm.
I have also heard those words before from a woman ...

Wade, I don't know about others, but in my two cases, during normal sleep (i.e. no sleep paralysis), the sensation was not penetration, but powerful vibration (like BZZZZZZZZ) for a 'one-thousand-one" count. I considered flatulence as a possible explanation, but this sensation was many, many times more powerful than any flatulence I've ever experienced, and as a generally healthy guy up to age 61 I've had my share. :D

Beyond that, on a different occasion in that same apartment building, sleeping soundly one night, I felt a jab in the right side of my back at around the waistline, and I awoke instantly again, startled, but mostly annoyed. The sensation was like someone poked me in the back to wake me up. Those are the three annoying experiences that I had in that building that I strongly doubt originated from me.

Wade, I don't know about others, but in my two cases, during normal sleep (i.e. no sleep paralysis), the sensation was not penetration, but powerful vibration (like BZZZZZZZZ) for a 'one-thousand-one" count. I considered flatulence as a possible explanation, but this sensation was many, many times more powerful than any flatulence I've ever experienced, and as a generally healthy guy up to age 61 I've had my share. :D

Beyond that, on a different occasion in that same apartment building, sleeping soundly one night, I felt a jab in the right side of my back at around the waistline, and I awoke instantly again, startled, but mostly annoyed. The sensation was like someone poked me in the back to wake me up. Those are the three annoying experiences that I had in that building that I strongly doubt originated from me.
Anything I've experienced William has been whilst awake.After several years with no incidents I had a scary one last week.As I'm of a certain age I awoke in the middle of the night to pee.Immediately it was the familiar body asleep head awake.I then felt the wall above my head vibrate with an unknown impact.My apartment is on the 6th floor,bedroom looking out onto the city centre.I had a very uncomfortable and irrational feeling something was coming for me.For a few seconds I couldn't move or make a noise then with what felt like an enormous effort I swore profusely breaking the spell,jumped out of bed looked out onto the empty streets and made it to the bathroom.My heart was racing ten to the dozen!.Whatever causes this phenomena I can gladly live without it.As a footnote my neighbours now think I have nocturnal Tourette syndrome!.

I've posted before in this thread to describe my experiences. I forgot about one but Ron's story just reminded me of it. I'm surprised I forgot about it since it was probably my most intense;

I was 18 years old and had already enlisted in the Navy on their DEP (delayed entry program; it's where your enlisted, but the day you leave for bootcamp could be up to a year away. My date was March 25th and my experience happened in about November).

I was working part time as a security guard. I got assigned graveyard shift at a new condominium complex they were building. I had been on the sight already for a few months so I knew the routine. It consisted of sitting in my Chevy S-10 pickup truck for 99% of the shift. This one night I fell asleep laying on my side in the cab of the truck. All of a sudden my body was hit with an intense numbing/buzzing sensation. I popped straight up, wide eyes open. I was overcome with fear & panic (and was thinking about aliens) and with no thought behind it, as if on auto pilot, I fired up my truck and layed wheels out of there. I felt like someone was with me or in my presence. I got about a mile away before I became rational again. I thought "what are you doing? where are you going? are you just going to abandon your job?" So once I gathered myself, I went back to the sight and the rest of the night was super jittery.

Even thought I mentioned I was thinking of aliens, in no way am I implying that something happened involving E.T. UFO's have been a hobby of mine since 1979 and it was something that was on my mind quite often, but especially while sitting on a construction sight in the wee hours of the night/morning. I was always scanning the skies but have never seen anything unusual. I think I was just overcome with an episode of sleep paralysis and then panicked.

Tonight Jan 2 2016 on C2C the guest is Rodney Ascher director of The Nightmare a doc on sleep paralysis which came out about this time last year.

I had sleep paralysis about 3-4 times during my lifetime.

First time it was really scary, because I thought that somebody was behind my bed and trying to stop me from breathing. I heard some kind of scratching noises coming from behind. But I realized (while in a deep sleep??) that I was still sleeping. So I tried to move, but appeared to be paralyzed. I had to increase my will power at least 400% more than normal and eventually I managed to move my body and wake up.

I don't know if my eyes were open, but I was able to see my room. Room was very vivid to me during the experience.

I had sleep paralysis about 3-4 times during my lifetime.

First time it was really scary, because I thought that somebody was behind my bed and trying to stop me from breathing. I heard some kind of scratching noises coming from behind. But I realized (while in a deep sleep??) that I was still sleeping. So I tried to move, but appeared to be paralyzed. I had to increase my will power at least 400% more than normal and eventually I managed to move my body and wake up.

I don't know if my eyes were open, but I was able to see my room. Room was very vivid to me during the experience.

The sleep paralysis (could )answer some elements of the night terrors, bedroom abduction type events . However, it's a theory which not forgetting the latest debate about acdemic experiments which " 60-90 % "could not be reproduce which is a worry developments. Think more research will show its more a combination of environmental food we've digested prior to sleeping ?and household chemical effects from cleaning, maintaining our homes. Not ignoring effects from wireless systems, electrical devices, solar panels etc . However, not discounting outside interferences from unkown forces.

The sleep paralysis (could )answer some elements of the night terrors, bedroom abduction type events . However, it's a theory which not forgetting the latest debate about acdemic experiments which " 60-90 % "could not be reproduce which is a worry developments. Think more research will show its more a combination of environmental food we've digested prior to sleeping ?and household chemical effects from cleaning, maintaining our homes. Not ignoring effects from wireless systems, electrical devices, solar panels etc . However, not discounting outside interferences from unkown forces.
Most studies I've read on sleep paralysis point to genetics, depression, anxiety, sleep deprivation, sleep apnea and mental health disorders as the root cause of the event. The hallucinations the mind triggers in this waking sleep state are horrific and often come with the sensation of a presence in the room, a feeling of being restrained, abducted or actual sightings of ghosts, demons, aliens etc.. The fear produced in such spaces is quite incredible and so significant that all who have posted here, like myself, can still recall the specifics of the event no matter how many decades old the incidents may be. Abduction events fit very nicely inside such scenarios. Anyone plagued with ongoing sleep paralysis may certainly have the experience that they have been targetted by unseen forces. The hallucinations are so real and vivid that they easily claim space in our memories alongside waking reality. It is often very difficult to tell the difference between what's really happened vs. a hallucination. It would not surprise me that the root cause of many reported alien contact pieces in bedrooms come from this source.

I've written about mine here before as well. Without question my experiences of sleep paralysis in my teens and early 20's were easily the scariest events of my life. They don't call these Night Terrors for nothing. Mine featured everything from surreal abduction scenarios to serial killers stalking me. They often ended with sesnsations of hurtling through the air in whatever hallway was closest to my room at accelerating speeds about to smash through a door, but never reaching it. I would be screaming in desperation for help from whoever was sleeping in the room next to mine. Then I would hear my paralyzed, moaning body not able to open its mouth and then back to the hallway of obliteration so on until I would wake up in a state of sheer fear. I also can see how Alien Abductions could be manufactured here.

The first time this happened with another person in the bed beside me it was the woman I eventually married. She woke me in the middle of one of these episodes and the sense of being rescued was an experience I would equate with having one's life being saved - it was a major spiritual turning point - seriously. 20 years later I have still not ever had another sleep paralysis episode.

Sleep paralysis and night terrors are two different things. I have had both. Night terrors are just that, terrifying experiences while you are sleeping. Sometimes you wake up and sometimes you don't. It doesn't involve paralysis. I had this problem for many years during my childhood and youth. I once had someone in the same room describe how I sat up in bed moaning in horror, asleep, and hit my head on the bottom of the top bunk. I then sank back down, presumably having knocked myself out. My sleep paralysis incidents happened when I was a young adult - I'm 70 now. I would fall asleep on the couch in the afternoon and wake up, unable to move. It was upsetting, but not paranormal or terribly frightening.

The one time I experienced something resembling sleep paralysis occurred back in the 1980s. It didn’t match the definition exactly since I believe I was asleep when it happened, but in other respects it’s very close.

I was sleeping at my parents' house. In what I believe was a dream, I recall seeing my darkened room exactly as if I had been lying in my bed with my eyes open. Standing right next to the bed was a figure in a dark cloak and hood whose face could not be seen. There are times when I’m dreaming when I tell myself it is a dream. On this occasion the voice in my head was yelling, “THIS IS NOT A DREAM! THIS IS NOT A DREAM! THERE IS SOMEONE IN THE HOUSE!” There was the sense that I could not move. The next thing I remember was having a sensation that made me think of a dog biting me in the face. No visual, just that type of sensation. I then awoke to find myself sitting upright in bed, swinging my fists in the air. I didn’t relate it to anything supernatural. Just thought, “Wow, that was very strange”, and reassured myself there was no intruder in the house. I’ve never had another experience similar to any of it. I’m always struck by that classic image of the dark figure in cloak and hood, and wonder what that derived from since I’d never given the image much thought before then.

It's interesting to see what Burnt State mentioned about sleep deprivation being a possible factor.Looking back on my experiences they have been during periods that I've been working stupidly long hours.I'm currently over doing it again and my dreams when I do sleep have been highly disturbing and extremely vivid.(Though no sleep paralysis episodes). On a side note I was staying over night in a small hotel last week.At dinner I got talking to a guy who was in a similar business to me,As we finished our meals around the same time we ended up returning to our rooms sharing a lift (Elevator) and discovered our rooms were next to each other.The following morning he commented about the late phone conference call I'd had.I had gone straight to bed and hadn't spoken to anyone.He was adamant that he'd heard 2 men's voices coming from my room and that neither voice sounded like me.I've no idea what he heard,I'm usually a very light sleeper and the t.v. wasn't even plugged in to have been on at any time.I do fall asleep listening to a white noise app but don't see how this could be construed as two voices.It's another mystery I will never solve.

Back