• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Shadow People

Raevenskye

Seer of All Things Spooky
We haven't talked about shadow people in a while...anyone seen any lately? I saw part of a "someone" walk thru the bedroom last night...only odd in that they weren't coming out of the haunted closet. I saw a dark head and shoulders but nothing past that point.

Just FYI, the term "Shadow People" is considered offensive; we prefer to be called "Corporeally Challenged Entities".

Thank you.

emptydrum said:
Just FYI, the term "Shadow People" is considered offensive; we prefer to be called "Corporeally Challenged Entities".

Thank you.

Hahaah, indeed! Or better yet, Shadow-Americans!

But semi-seriously, didn't we just call them "ghosts" before? Sometimes ghosts are said to glow and sometimes they are said to be dark.

The idea of "shadow people" seems to have become popularized by Coast to Coast. I don't know where it started though.When I first started reading about the "shadow people" phenomenon there was no mention of them wearing hats that I recall. Now, George Noury always seems to talk about them wearing hats and having a sinister grin or something...and not surprisingly they seem to get described that way by callers nowadays too.

Brian, that's really interesting. I've almost never seen ghosts as white and wispy, so they always looked like various shades of grey to me. I didn't know about the hat thing...never seen one in a hat. I'm surprised at how many negative connotations I read about them. I've never had a bad experience with a "Corporeally Challenged entity" (hehe), but others I've talked to are terrified of them! Are people creating new mythology about these things?

Raevenskye said:
Brian, that's really interesting. I've almost never seen ghosts as white and wispy, so they always looked like various shades of grey to me. I didn't know about the hat thing...never seen one in a hat. I'm surprised at how many negative connotations I read about them. I've never had a bad experience with a "Corporeally Challenged entity" (hehe), but others I've talked to are terrified of them! Are people creating new mythology about these things?

I've never seen a ghost at all. But plenty of people's stories describe them as whitish or grayish or darkish...or any-ish.
Are people creating a new mythology? I certainly couldn't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are. That is one thing we human beings love to do!

I'm not for sure what Shadow people are... but I kinda do because I find them creepy.

I saw a shadow person last night in my house sitting on the stairs; I tend to see them a lot for no reason. It's weird they seem to by spying on me. They give me the creeps. I don’t know what they are but they seem to show up when I’m having a hard time with life, or when I have problems. I feel like they like the negative energy I give off when I’m upset.

interesting concept, Nani. Maybe people are creeped out by them b/c they usually seem to be skulking around. I see them that way, but I also see them full-on, too. My kitchen visitor likes to hang out in the hallway, and be a part of visitors or conversation. I always invite him in. I don't like him hanging around like that! hehe

My house seems to be meeting place for supernatural events. I've
often seen shadow people. They have moved across the room and
disappeared into a wall. I think we think they are creepy because
they are shadows and we've been taught that shadows are creepy.

It doesn't make them any less creepy though.

I don't know who the shadow people are. My house seem to in the
Spirits guide to NY. I don't get any bad vibes though so I don't really
freak out that much anymore.

I wonder about this and the possibility that some of these are actual shadows of some creature or entity you can't see? I mean, if giant cigar shaped ships can bend light around themselves, why couldn't their pilots carry around similar devices for personal cloaking capability.

I'm a Coast listener with some regularity and until I heard about them (and doubted their existence) they didn't play a part in my life. But within the last year or so I told myself I would become more aware of things going on around me.

My intent was strong and I began to see shadow people walking through my house and standing on my porch looking inside for short periods. I didn't get creeped out because I still don't think they are real, at least in the sense that they aren't creative aspects of our psyches.

Our ability to create is powerful, imo, but it probably takes a collective effort or suggestion to manifest from meme to myth. Once I came to that conclusion, they quit hanging around so maybe my dismissal canceled them out in my personal experience. Don't know.

I've occasionally seen things (years ago) that, when I reported them to friends, apparently, were fairly common.

Among other things, what I saw qualifies as a bedroom visitation and not a shadow person (the corporally challenged thing is really funny--and may be appropriate) or a ghost, but I'll let you make up your mind.

One night I was awakened out of a sound sleep (twenty years ago?) in the middle of the night by a large, black amorphous mass directly to my right. I could tell it was evil and intelligent. It was like a huge, black amoeba. It was so black, I could see it because it was darker than the night around it.

I was, needless to say, terrified. I would have had to go through whatever this was to get to the light switch, so I got off the end of the bed, felt my way around the room, and flipped on the light switch, which banished it or otherwise made it go away. I don't remember whether I slept again that night.

When I told the guitarist in my band at the time, not only did he know what it was, because he'd seen it before, but one day when we came back to put his guitar away in his closet from going out for coffee, there was a smaller version of one of these things in his closet, and when he pointed it out to me, I could see it.

We left, and went back to the coffee shop. He explained that he saw these things throughout his life all the time, and they obviously bothered him.

He had strange dreams at night where he was a Vlad Tepes type character, decapitating people in a battlefield war, one after the other, and he felt this was a past life. He believed that these things had something to do with his karma in the reincarnation sense, that because of the atrocities and horrors he'd committed in a past life, these things were gathering, waiting for him.

I haven't heard from him since.

Has anyone else encountered one of these beings?

I once saw a dark apparition, or "shadow person." I had accidentally locked myself out of the house and was sitting on the porch waiting for someone to come home and let me in. I began doing yard-work to pass the time.

Then, in broad-daylight in the south Texas heat, a shadowy blob which resembled the evil ghosts in the Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore flick, "Ghost," flitted across the front yard, about twenty feet away from me, running at about 15 miles per hour.

It was real, not a shadow of a bird or anything. It stood upright and moved fast. For some reason, it did not freak me out like it should have. I saw it, wondered just what in the hell it could have been, and then I continued mowing the grass.

Chuckleberryfinn said:
I once saw a dark apparition, or "shadow person." I had accidentally locked myself out of the house and was sitting on the porch waiting for someone to come home and let me in. I began doing yard-work to pass the time.

Then, in broad-daylight in the south Texas heat, a shadowy blob which resembled the evil ghosts in the Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore flick, "Ghost," flitted across the front yard, about twenty feet away from me, running at about 15 miles per hour.

It was real, not a shadow of a bird or anything. It stood upright and moved fast. For some reason, it did not freak me out like it should have. I saw it, wondered just what in the hell it could have been, and then I continued mowing the grass.

I think responses like that are so interesting. I'm usually not ever startled by the things I see, but watching things on TV gets me spooked! hehe...It's that time of year again, and I saw someone walk across my hallway yesterday (about 5:15)...all the kitties saw it too, and were pretty nervy about it.

Shadow people, yeah I first heard of them on ctoc also. I see them but they do not wear hits,to me they are almost indistinguishable, but they are something, I have been doing this stuff for a verty long time, and I always saw the so called shadow people. I think some people see something in their periphreal vision and think its a shadow person. I personally think they are poltergeist just hanging around waiting for a chance to cause some mischief.Some people say when they look at them they fade away quickly, but they seem to not always fade away from me but the one thing in commen is that the features seem to be missing from these things and I have heard a lot of people say that also and It makes me wonder, why is this, why do their features seem to be nonexistant? Could it be these are creatures of our own imagination and that is why their are no features? Because subconciously we do not want to see our own faces looking back at us. Its just a thought. alucard

My intent was strong and I began to see shadow people walking through my house and standing on my porch looking inside for short periods. I didn't get creeped out because I still don't think they are real, at least in the sense that they aren't creative aspects of our psyches.

Our ability to create is powerful, imo, but it probably takes a collective effort or suggestion to manifest from meme to myth. Once I came to that conclusion, they quit hanging around so maybe my dismissal canceled them out in my personal experience. Don't know.

You know, you tossed off several very good ideas in there. I can imagine you follow some of the same writers I do.

As far as shadow people, I've seen them on occassion, but I never could decide if they are ghosts, or tulpas that have taken on existence of their own, or diminsional beings, or even demons. None of this sound quite right to me.

I have the long standing habit of noticing small shadow entities moving around, and my usual first reaction is that it's a cat. When I try to focus in on them consciously, I usually don't see them anymore. I never gave these things much thought, though, until I heard some of Jeff Ritzmann's stories. I still don't know what these little guys are, or their big brother Shadow People, but i've never had one attack me or send me any sort of heavy duty vibes. I've never spoken with one, or initiated contact, but something tells me that it wouldn't work anyway.

I've seen ghost all my life, but I've only seen one full form mist entity, and that was a broad daylight sighting. Honestly, I wasn't scared, but rather felt sort of honored, because many people go through their lives without seeing one of these. Hard to explain my feeling on this, really.

I should have reread that post, Scott. I meant that I think shadow people may indeed be a part of our creative process. Can't rule it out anway. Guess you got that from the rest of my post. It isn't a satisfying answer, however. Just something that crossed my mind at the time.

What's interesting is something Raevenskye mentioned and others have confirmed. We aren't wigged out when we see these things. Sure, a good movie might scare the bejebus out of us, but the real thing (subjective "real") isn't scary at the time. That's how my ufo sightings were too, just there while I was calm rather than having my hair stand on end.

Is it because we know these things and have forgotten, while some ghostly memory remains in our collective psyche?

One night while driving on a dark country road, a voice in my head (sounded just like me, but it actually seemed to have spoken in my right ear) told me, "Now, watch this car!" I became very alert, but curious because there was no indication I was in danger. While extremely curious as to questions of who, what, where and the why of that voice, I was extremely calm.

An oncoming car, still just distant lights to me, finally began to swerve into my lane once it was close, very close. As though on auto myself, I expertly swerved into the shallow ditch to my right at almost the exact moment the pickup truck (I could see it only inches from the driver's side door at it's closest approach) began to come into my lane. I saw his outer door handle pass inches from my door.

In ballet fashion we each recovered our respective lanes and I remained calm. Went home, went to bed, slept just fine, but the next day I was wowed over the whole episode because it had no effect on me. I think I knew or understood on some level that what happened was not only possible but probable sometimes. To call the event, that voice or my knowing what to do, paranormal is probably a mistake. There is some part of us that understands events even if we don't have language to describe their reality. So we don't get rattled by them.

Imagination is one thing. It can scare us because we're play acting at unknowns. What we "know" is another matter.

Brian Now said:
Raevenskye said:

I've never seen a ghost at all. But plenty of people's stories describe them as whitish or grayish or darkish...or any-ish.
Are people creating a new mythology? I certainly couldn't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are. That is one thing we human beings love to do!

I know when my great grandma died she appear quit a bit to my mom and grandma until my great grandpa died, then apparently she just quit showing up.

anyway, when they describe what they saw they say she looked just as human as you and me, she wasn't transparent or glowing she looked like a regular person.

Banning,
I've often heard about encounters like that...regular person entity, but I've never seen one like that...or at least I don't know it! lol! Even if I see a head-to-toe, they're still shadowy, or wispy.

i've never seen a ghost at all... i'd really like to... its fun listening to some of the creepy stuff that happened to my mom and grandma though right after my great grandma died... Like there is this mirror in my grandmas house and my grandma said it was the scariest thing but one day she walked by it and looked and it was her body BUT it was my great grandmas head 100%... it scared the shit out of her she said ... so yeah i totally called dips on that mirror before my sisters did hehe :p

Back