• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Seriously Gene, please allow us to pay for an ad-free version of the Paracast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth

Nothin' to see here
Not much else to say really.

Can you make that happen?

Obviously commercials are necessary and I have absolutely no problem with at all. But there are too many brother. There really are. I know there have been 'ad complaint' threads in the past, and I dont want this to be another one of those. I have no problems with the Paracast having gaps for ads.

Its just that IMHO there are just too many ads in the current format. I get that you are using "the standard ratio" or whatever, and thats fine. But that doesnt change the fact that the I find myself skipping 80% + of Paracast episodes these days (and Im sure Im not the only one) because the amount of content versus the amount of ads is just not something that I can deal with.

Before anyone accuses me of wanting something for nothing, well, Ive voluntarily donated my own money to the Paracast in the past, at least 3 (maybe 4 times). Even before Genes personal appeals. And like I said I have no problem with ads.

I just think theres too many. Or the breaks are too long. Whatever.

And yes I listen on my iPhone and yes I FF the ads. But most of the time I listen while working out (on the exer. bike), or driving, or in bed, or working.... its too much of a pain in the ass to be FF'ing every 10mins.

So C'mon. Allow us the option to pay $20 (or whatever) to get an ad free version of the Paracast. Despite the Biedny factor I still find the show compelling enough to be excited for it week to week. Mainly due to the great co-hosts that have jumped in to help out. If Chris ended up being the "official" co-host Id be cool with that. (Youre doing a great job Chris).

But seriously. An ad free version. An option. We need one.

edit/ quick clarification... I meant $20 a year.

It comes down to this: Our network deal requires we run their ads. I've explained this before several times in these forums. We only profit from our own ads, not theirs.

To produce a special version isn't difficult, but we are still too new at network radio to have the clout to demand a separate contract, nor is there any guarantee enough listeners will subscribe to make it worthwhile. Remember, too, that a few of our ads produce payments based on downloads. Fewer downloads with their advertising content, less income.

Even if an advertiser pays up front, they want numbers, and an audience that doesn't hear their messages makes us less suitable to them as an advertising medium.

This is the price of free radio. All network shows I know about make similar arrangements.

This doesn't mean we won't produce some ad free premium content. That is being considered, and I welcome your suggestions as to what extra material we might provide that would convince you to sign up.

This doesn't mean we won't produce some ad free premium content. That is being considered, and I welcome your suggestions as to what extra material we might provide that would convince you to sign up.

How about a paid access chat room with the hosts and guests fielding questions and driving a discussion. I think that level of hands on access to the guest and host is worth something.

Ron

How about a paid access chat room with the hosts and guests fielding questions and driving a discussion. I think that level of hands on access to the guest and host is worth something.

Ron
This is a seriously great suggestion that I'd like to follow up on. I'd need, of course, advice from you and other members about the best cross-platform chatting software (Mac OS, Windows, Linux, Android OS and iOS), and a secure method of setting up paid access for that and other premium features we'd like to add to the mix.

My interest is in doing this the right way, with proper preparation and setting up a secure system for ordering and access.
Of course the timing is an issue--we usually conduct our interviews during the late morning on Tuesdays & Fridays. If this is to be "real-time" that might pose a problem to some listeners at work... Hmm

I have to agree with Gareth.... the ads have made the show un-listen-able for me. I haven't downloaded an episode in about 6-8 weeks now. I'd happily pay weekly for an ad free version, but for me the ads come so often that they ruin the stream of thought and conversation

While we're just chit-chatting, I agree w/ Gareth as well. I listened to a few of the new-style episodes and haven't downloaded and listened to one since. Sad thing is I probably won't. Everytime the discussion seems to be gaining any kind of traction it is stopped for the ads. I just think the frequency of them is just way too much. A good discussion can never really even develop. I used to be a proponent for the FF button, but I can't even keep up anymore to the point that it is just not worth putting on my music player.

I would be much more inclined to listen if I could pay and avoid the ads. I don't think this is a possibility but thought it was worth commenting on. I'm a listener from the very begining but won't continue with the current format. I still look at the forum but haven't listened to the show recently. I suppose if you have a bunch more new listeners that can cope with the format, then good for you. I'm sure the demographics have changed as the show surely has. It didn't used to be about trying to make money, it used to be about the content. Double edged sword I know.

BTW I don't have any beef with what anyone is doing. I'm not mad and have no right to complain about any of it. Just providing some feedback. Good luck with whatever you do.

I'm surprised the issue is raised at all, since all network and local radio shows on commercial stations in the U.S. use similar break points. We follow the standard Clear Channel clock, in fact.

There's nothing unusual at all about this. Yes, there are some ad-free or ad-reduced podcasts, but they are mostly hobbies. If they were able to sell ads, they would, but they can't.

There is no viable business plan to produce an ad-free version, sell it, and have enough listeners and revenue to make a difference. Wish there was, but there isn't, other than, perhaps, NPR or getting a grant that would be sufficient to feed us for the next 10 years. :)

Just as with the past few threads on the subject, there's nowhere to take it.

If you wish to give us suggestions about other services, premium-based, which would include special interviews, chats and other features, however, please open a new thread on the subject. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back