• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Seeking Proof in Near-Death Claims

AlexAnderson

Paranormal Novice
I thought this was an interesting article - more by the fact that numerous hospitals hosting the study bought into the idea of placing images on the ceilings of their emergency rooms to verify if/when a patient says they had an NDE if they saw any of the images that were placed there – you would think this would create some controversy but obviously there is enough evidence/interest to demand a study within the medical community.

http://http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304248704575574193494074922.html

While it's "interesting" I'm afraid it doesn't "prove" anything. I'm reading a book by Chris Carter (well, I should say I"ve read the introduction) and it is interesting. Still, the folks who think we are all a "brain fart" will continue to think so. The folks who think they have "seen God" will continue to think so.

As for a "experiment" such as this I'm always skeptical. Since we don't "see" everything at every level while "embodied" due to our brain filtering and transmiting how do we "know" what we would "see" or even notice upon death? Are we transisitoned to a new level of "seeing?" If so we might not notice a neon sign much less a pic on a ceiling. Are we pure energy? Do we simply "pop" out of existence? Honestly you will get several post here. You will get the ole "My science can beat up your science" :) I would like for the Paracast to have sombody like Chris Carter on and talk with em. The only other time I can even remember em touching it was some silly dude with floating trumpets. :) How about it? I would love to see the discussion after speaking to a "serious" researcher into this subject. Meanwhile you've opened the subject and here come the "NO" Can't happen! "YES" We've seen the face of God!

O.k. that's my rant. Or opinion. :)

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

tyder001 said:
While it's "interesting" I'm afraid it doesn't "prove" anything. I'm reading a book by Chris Carter (well, I should say I"ve read the introduction) and it is interesting. Still, the folks who think we are all a "brain fart" will continue to think so. The folks who think they have "seen God" will continue to think so.

As for a "experiment" such as this I'm always skeptical. Since we don't "see" everything at every level while "embodied" due to our brain filtering and transmiting how do we "know" what we would "see" or even notice upon death? Are we transisitoned to a new level of "seeing?" If so we might not notice a neon sign much less a pic on a ceiling. Are we pure energy? Do we simply "pop" out of existence? Honestly you will get several post here. You will get the ole "My science can beat up your science" :) I would like for the Paracast to have sombody like Chris Carter on and talk with em. The only other time I can even remember em touching it was some silly dude with floating trumpets. :) How about it? I would love to see the discussion after speaking to a "serious" researcher into this subject. Meanwhile you've opened the subject and here come the "NO" Can't happen! "YES" We've seen the face of God!

O.k. that's my rant. Or opinion. :)

Also, I apoligize for not reading the link before commenting. It's not working for me right now.

Good article. Thanks. I'm interested in the new Moody study of "shared" NDE's. Still, I don't think this will "end" the debate. The beleivers already beleive and the skeptics will continue with the "Super ESP" or some other "brain" chemistry explanation. I'm afraid the only truly acceptable proof will be the "final" journey. :) Still, it's an interesting subject. Has Raymond Moody ever been on the Paracast? Hint, hint. Also, the above mentioned Chris Carter? :)

I wonder if anyone has actually done experiments along the lines of the 1990 movie "Flatliners" or something similar. You have things like Robert Monroe's books which allegedly describe "the afterlife" and so forth. There are many different views or "accounts" of what the "afterlife" might be if it truly exists, not many of which seem compatible. For example, do human "ghosts" hang around and pine over events that occurred in life? This seems to be the model suggested by the recent discussions about EVP.

The use of the term "brain-fart" (I'm guilty of using it myself) is of course an over simplification of what seems to be a series of complex brain system events triggered by the failure of the vital organs supplying the brain with oxygen, nutrients and so forth.

One thing seems certain. The body can die multiple times and be revived even after brain death. However, the brain is demonstrably the organ which manifests the human personality and without a functional brain the human body has no purpose. Once the brain dies it does not return to functionality. It is simultaneously true that we only experience a brain/mind system generated reality based on real world sensory input. Therefore we could for all practical purposes be brains in jars sitting on some shelf hooked into a shared VR generation mechanism not unlike what is portrayed in The Matrix. I doubt this however. I think we're part of a larger system (the earth itself) devoid of what we imagine as "individuality" and that our personalities (the "I" which experiences) are there to give our individual consciousness a frame of reference. I reserve the right to be wrong of course.

Well I heard DR Raymond Moody joined by neurosurgeon John Turner on Coast to Coast back in mid September, and it was an interesting show. But yes your right would be nice if Raymond Moody and/or Chris Carter appeared on the Paracast (HINT, HINT).

This study will not provide a clear answer to either party (believers vs sceptics), but none the less I think it’s very important that research such as this provides an opportunity to raise a higher profile amongst the professional medical/scientific community stimulating more thought into the subject.

It would be nice to find out more information about the study and how it is being carried out but my first thought towards a test method of an image being placed upside on the ceiling makes the assumption that the physical reality or a real time zone environment exists as we perceive it, I hope there is other tests that are being looked into other than maybe an upside image stuck to a ceiling.

Back