• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sammy Hagar

This is so wierd. :eek::p I was listening to a local sports show on the radio during my afternoon walk. They start tittering and laughing and talking about crazy people in relation to a certain rock star being abducted by aliens and talking to dead people. Then they tell the story of Sammy Hagar. Thing is the first thing they said was "Crazy" and started laughting. Now he may or may not be I don't know the dude. But, it is just a real solid indication of the public and the knee jerk titter factor of people who know nothing about the paranormal or research at all. I am very skeptical of the spacemen/women stuff myself. But, still if you don't research it or think about it then you are the one who is goofy when you simply laugh at people. This may be one reason that the scientific "community" can't take the study of alien abduction or out of body experience or lucid dreaming or PSI in general seriously. How many grants ya gonna get and how much eye rolling and scoffing can your career take? So, we have a society on one hand that gets the ole "eye roll" from the "media' and scoffs like crazy. Then those same folks call the clergy or take solace in spirtual pratice or thoughts of higher purpose on the death of a loved one. Gotta be a scitzo experience for em. So, on the other thread asking should this type thing even be studied? Well, to listen to popular opinion and the woo woo brigade I guess not! 8)

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Wickerman1972 thanks for the links. Very interseting. :)

I have no idea if what Hagar claims has any truth to it or if he's just being wacky. But the reaction to his stories reminds me of those UFO polls that are taken all the time where the results will often show approximately 50% of people saying they think there is something legitimate to the UFO subject. I've never believed those polls. Nowhere near 50% of the people I've met give the subject any credence. I'd estimate the reality is more like 10% to 15%. So I'm left speculating that the question isn't asked properly and that a lot of the people responding in the positive are remarking more about their belief in other life in the universe than they are about it visiting here. Check out the comments to the first link I posted:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=155644

I looked at some of them and didn't see even one that was supportive or positive. Instead they were all talking about him being a nut and making fun of him. Correct or not that is the reality on the ground regarding belief in UFOs and alien abductions, not those fallacious poll results with their poorly defined questions.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Btw, here's what I consider to be the best link I've found about it so far:

Sammy Hagar Admits Alien Abduction | MTV Hive

First half of the interview is about other things discussed in his new book. Second half is the alien/UFO stuff.

Half seems about right to me. I think about half the people I know who have expressed an opinion think there is something there. My experience also seems to support the observation that the more educated people are, the more likely they are to think something is going on. Some high powered professionals, highly accomplished engineers, lots of retired military and even a PhD University science prof have all said to me they have no problem with the idea. Some have even told me some weird things. These are all high-functioning, stable and sensible people. The people I know who dismiss the paranormal outright also tend to be among the most rigid, intolerant and small minded people I know. Not all of them, now, but the correlation is hard to miss. Also, the people who comment on news stories online tend to be, in my opinion, mostly morons.

I know a lot of weirdos, too, of course...

Half seems about right to me. I think about half the people I know who have expressed an opinion think there is something there. My experience also seems to support the observation that the more educated people are, the more likely they are to think something is going on. Some high powered professionals, highly accomplished engineers, lots of retired military and even a PhD University science prof have all said to me they have no problem with the idea. Some have even told me some weird things. These are all high-functioning, stable and sensible people. The people I know who dismiss the paranormal outright also tend to be among the most rigid, intolerant and small minded people I know. Not all of them, now, but the correlation is hard to miss. Also, the people who comment on news stories online tend to be, in my opinion, mostly morons.

I know a lot of weirdos, too, of course...

There does seem to be some truth to that. In my own personal life, among friends and family, the person who has responded the most negatively to my interest in the subject just happens to be the dumbest person I know. No lie, this person is unable to look up a number in a phone book! He/She is completely illiterate, has the reading/math skills of a grammar school student (That might even be a bad example because I could read pretty good when I was that age). Yet there is nobody I've met who responds with such certainty and negativity if the subject is brought up as this person. It seems surreal to me that a person that would struggle with Dr.Seuss if asked to write up a report on it can actually have a feeling of intellectual superiority painted on his/her face when the UFO topic, or any other topic for that matter, surfaces.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

But having said that, most people I've talked to (And this is rare as I almost never bring it up) have responded reasonably well enough. Most aren't really interested (Maybe they're here but so what...Who cares?...is something I've heard a few times) but most of them don't completely shut the door on the possibility either. It's interesting to me that most people I know are religious to some degree. I am the odd man out on that one as I really am not at all. Just kinda' weird to me that they're all carrying around this belief that I do not while I am interested (I say interested because I am not fully convinced. I find a few cases compelling but that's as far as it goes for me at this point) in something they are not.

I guess I have to say I'm interested in the u.f.o. experience from a paranormal and a social viewpoint. Not really that interested in the nuts and bolts stuff but I keep an open mind. Religion is kind of like an old security blanket for me. I know there is a lot (and I mean a lot) of bullshit there. But, the original blanket keeps me warm at night and it's nice and soft so I think mayby there is still a use for it although I don't parade it around in public. :) I do have my own inner life but I say "spiritual" and a materialist might call me religious (or worse.) :) But, I don't put my finger in the wind every morning to see which way the wind is blowing before I think,pray or meditate on what is important to me. I don't think the "bible" is the "Word" of God. I do think it contains the word of God as does my life and the cosmos and the whole fabric of "being." So, I'm kind of holistic in my approach. I try not to fall off the cliff into the "new agey" abyss or get slammed by the so called "logic" of reductionism. As for my dogma, that puppy got ran over a long time ago. :)

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

On a related note...(kind of) you can have Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth and even now the sell out Steven Tyler and Areosmith. Give me Foghat doing "Slow Ride" live circa 1976 or so and a cold one and a long ago blonde and I'm at least in paradise. :cool:

Sorry, had a brain fart there. Us old 70's people just miss our "Jesus hair" sometime and have to think back. :p

Good on him for telling his story. It takes guts to tell a story like that in face of extreme ridicule. It's a pity that someone hasn't done a serious interview with him instead of the moronic and puerile efforts i've seen so far.

Good on him for telling his story. It takes guts to tell a story like that in face of extreme ridicule. It's a pity that someone hasn't done a serious interview with him instead of the moronic and puerile efforts i've seen so far.

Strange story though. He admits that it was much like a dream. But he thinks it was more than that. But the ghost sighting has less room for interpretation. Seems like a "it happened" or he's making it up or is nuts kind of thing rather than something he dreamed.

Edit: Forget that. Having listened to it again I noticed that he said the ghost sighting started with him asleep as well so both could be dreams after all.

Yeah the visit by his dead dad is something i've heard, from others, many times before. Mostly from people who aren't that interested in ghosts etc. I remember an acquaintance, who used to scoff at the notion of ghosts, coming over to my place out of the blue to tell me of a daytime visitation from his long dead mum. She appeared to him as real as when she was alive.

Yeah the visit by his dead dad is something i've heard, from others, many times before. Mostly from people who aren't that interested in ghosts etc. I remember an acquaintance, who used to scoff at the notion of ghosts, coming over to my place out of the blue to tell me of a daytime visitation from his long dead mum. She appeared to him as real as when she was alive.

Yeah, my mother believes she saw the ghost of my grandfather after he died (I never met him. Died before I was born). She claims she was sitting on a couch and he walked into the room and said, "It's OK." Thing is I've never really believed her though. I don't think she's making it up but I can't shake the suspicion that she had a bit of a mental break from being so emotionally devastated as she is a very emotional person. But I don't know for sure, of course.

Funny, I never liked Hagar -and thought his "Can't Drive 55"" was possibly the finest example of creative seizure I'd ever encountered. And now, curiously, I am fighting an urge to like him.
This is troubling.

Funny, I never liked Hagar -and thought his "Can't Drive 55"" was possibly the finest example of creative seizure I'd ever encountered. And now, curiously, I am fighting an urge to like him.
This is troubling.

What was wrong with that song? Sure, it ain't dark and moody like much of the best and "true" heavy metal. But it's a pretty good pop metal song and has one of the catchiest guitar riffs of the 80s era. Is an anthem for what was going on in music at that time.

He looks utterly ridiculous in this video but everybody in music did back then. :)

[video=dailymotion;x26lij]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26lij_sammy-hagar-i-cant-drive-55_music[/video]

Yeah, my mother believes she saw the ghost of my grandfather after he died (I never met him. Died before I was born). She claims she was sitting on a couch and he walked into the room and said, "It's OK." Thing is I've never really believed her though. I don't think she's making it up but I can't shake the suspicion that she had a bit of a mental break from being so emotionally devastated as she is a very emotional person. But I don't know for sure, of course.

The thing is, it's a common story. A work mate of mine described a story of his mum coming to him in a dream to tell him she was sorry and the reason why she had acted the way she did towards him. (She had died suddenly of a massive brain aneurysm). He had felt bad because he had never had the chance to say goodbye to her. Now whether or not this was his way of coping with that fact or not, we may never know. It could have been that the dream was his desire for closure.

What was wrong with that song? Sure, it ain't dark and moody like much of the best and "true" heavy metal. But it's a pretty good pop metal song and has one of the catchiest guitar riffs of the 80s era. Is an anthem for what was going on in music at that time.

He looks utterly ridiculous in this video but everybody in music did back then. :)

We'll have to agree to disagree. However, I'm not really qualified to comment as I was more interested with music somewhat orbiting the fringe at that time. As a guitar player, I could never slight Sammy's chops, however. Dude can play.

We'll have to agree to disagree. However, I'm not really qualified to comment as I was more interested with music somewhat orbiting the fringe at that time. As a guitar player, I could never slight Sammy's chops, however. Dude can play.

As a guitar player myself (Although I've never taken it extremely seriously and at nearly 40 I don't play much anymore) I am of the opinion that many of the best guitar riffs are the simpler ones. While complicated solos had their day I can't think of too many songs with complex rhythm sections that ever got very popular. Heck, Iron Man is a cool guitar riff and a monkey could be taught to play it. 55 is one of those songs where ya' don't have to hear anything but the guitar to instantly know what it is.

As a guitar player myself (Although I've never taken it extremely seriously and at nearly 40 I don't play much anymore) I am of the opinion that many of the best guitar riffs are the simpler ones. While complicated solos had their day I can't think of too many songs with complex rhythm sections that ever got very popular. Heck, Iron Man is a cool guitar riff and a monkey could be taught to play it. 55 is one of those songs where ya' don't have to hear anything but the guitar to instantly know what it is.

Don't let 40 stop you. Good for the soul.

Talking about 80s music reminded me of what I consider to be the 2 most RIDICULOUS music videos I can remember from the hair band era:

[video=metacafe;2227434/nitro_freight_train/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2227434/nitro_freight_train/[/video]

and

[video=metacafe;wm-A10302B0000355955B/king_diamond_welcome_home_official_music_video/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/wm-A10302B0000355955B/king_diamond_welcome_home_official_music_video/[/video]

When it comes to the second one I didn't think King Diamond was too bad a band musically (And Mercyful Fate, another band this "singer" was involved with) but the absurd vocals just made a comedy routine out of everything they did.

But the first one is terrible from every conceivable angle, ha ha. Those guys tried to do everything bigger than everyone else: bigger hair, faster solos, higher vocals, more necks on the guitar. But they had 0 songwriting ability and the end result was a complete farce.

Oh, and here is something that isn't an 80s song but is a parody of it that I think is kinda' funny (Explicit language):

[video=dailymotion;x8rzzt]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8rzzt_steel-panther-death-to-all-but-meta_music[/video]

Edit: I should know by now to not even try youtube clips because 75% of the time they will not embed. Fixed now.

Back