• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Royce Meyers of UFOwatchdog has had enough

I like Royce, and I happen to think he's right in principle about Bell, but I have to agree with DBTrek on the Art Bell stuff at Royce's website. "Reportedly" just doesn't cut it with me, and one-liner quotes out of context are always dodgy in my books. I understand what Royce was trying to do there, and Bell is certainly a prime target for criticism, but that page is "off" as far as I'm concerned.

I rarely post here (or anywhere for that matter), but did want to say thanks to those who support my work and thanks to those who don't.

Do I come off as harsh? Do some of my attempts at humor fail? Can I be rude and crude? Sure, but I'm not going to censor myself. I don't use a Sheep-2000 keyboard to give everyone a warm and fuzzy reassuring glow. I'm not here to please anyone and I certainly don't pretend to be perfect.

As Paul Kimball pointed out long ago, no one ever is going to agree with someone 100% of the time, just as Paul disagrees with what I have to say about Bell. Paul, I will expose you for disagreeing with me! ;-)

The "reportedly" reference on my website is what other people have told me about their direct experiences with Bell. This isn't something I've pulled out of thin air as some would insinuate. Bell certainly never answered any of my e-mails when I asked for his comment on it. Huh? Yep, I sent Bell an e-mail asking for his side - surprise, surprise, surprise - just like I did Sean David Morton, "Dr." Reed, Ed Dames, and others.

And, yes, Linda Howe directly told me during a phone conversation I had with her that was what Bell said to her during the whole Hale-Flop fiasco. Howe told me she and Bell got into a screaming match over the fact that Howe, to her credit, had an astronomer with proof refuting the entire lunacy of the Hale-Flop companion.

I regularly spoke with Howe during my naive UFO years. I even bought a Billy Meier documentary - all of this and more in Confessions of a UFO Watchdog, in theaters Summer 2007. The feel good movie of the year. You'll laugh, cry, and ask for a refund.

If someone wants to be a Bell nut-hugger, I won't hold it against them. The guy is a radio legend and no one can dispute that - I certainly wouldn't attempt to. But those are Bell's own words and I can't be responsible for what comes out of his tube. Stand alone or fragment quotes, those words stand on their own.

What I've posted about Bell: http://www.ufowatchdog.com/bell.html Unless I'm mistaken, there are names and/or dates attributed to the sources.

As for "distorting the truth", Bell is a prime example of just that. Look at the "Dr." Reed case where Bell promoted this as the real deal in spite of evidence sent to him clearly showing this guy was a fraud. In fact, when I and others exposed the Reed UFO Fraud on another radio program, Bell suddenly canceled his show that night and has not, to my knowledge, ever addressed the affair.

Do I dislike Bell? I don't like the way Bell promotes many extraordinary claims or the personalities making such claims. I certainly don't like the fact that Bell is selective of the information he gives to his audience. An example is Sean David Morton. After I won the court case Morton filed, Bell certainly didn't ask any hard questions of his longtime guest. I suppose that if anyone wants to accuse others of not being critical of me because of some perceived friendships, we could readily point the same finger at Bell and his admitted friendship with his longtime guest Morton.

When Bell isn't promoting UFO/psychic drivel, the guy is a great radio personality, hands-down one of the best in the business. Hell, I used to enjoy listening to Bell long ago and was actually on one of his Truth or Trash segments. I'll try not to gush about my brush with celebrity. And anyone who listens to Bell recall the caller named JC? Hilariously good radio. Anyhow...

Look, I've seen the usual and tired Internet forum nonsense posted about me before. Out to smear everyone, no substance. How the UFO cases and personalities I've proven to be frauds weren't so hard to expose, which always leaves me with the question of why the person claiming it was so easy didn't do it to begin with. I suppose this is a consequence for those living vicariously through a keyboard.

And UFO ego? LOL! Yep, kids, I'm a narcissist UFO rockstar with an ego larger than Zeta Reteculi! The first thing I do when I wake up is run into the bathroom, look into the mirror, and shout how I am the greatest mind in UFOlogy. Shortly after admiring myself for an hour or so in the mirror, I eat breakfast in a Dane Cook style cereal bowl with a mirror in the bottom so when I finish drinking the sugary milk resulting from my Cap'n Crunch cereal, I can say hello to myself and admire the receding hairline melon containing the greatest mind in UFOlogy. Ya' feel me? Bah! Mere mortals!

I'll be selling shirts through my fan-club with my face printed on the front and the words "UFO greatness" right under that. And you will be able to bid online for clippings from one of my haircuts and a half-eaten grilled cheese sandwich bearing an image of me burned into the bread. Truly a miracle from God himself attesting to my greatness. :) Where do people cook up this wacky bull****?????

I am not the be all end all of UFOs and neither is anyone else. If I died tomorrow the UFO field wouldn't skip a beat and neither would the rest of the world. I'd have an enormous ego if I cured cancer or AIDS, won a Nobel, made the world pollution free, got Olympic gold, saved the world from a killer asteroid, or something along those grand lines. But an ego over UFOs? I wish some folks would be a bit more creative and less transparent.

For those of you defending me in this forum, I appreciate it but please don't waste your time.

For those criticizing me, please continue to fill your time accordingly.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have more pressing matters to attend, like getting a cup of the world's finest coffee and picking up some BBQ charcoal.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

--Royce

PS: If you really want to crush my fragile ego, please keep spelling my last name wrong. :-( Also, I'm not very hard to get a hold of.

ufowatchdog.com said:
The "reportedly" reference on my website is what other people have told me about their direct experiences with Bell. This isn't something I've pulled out of thin air as some would insinuate. Bell certainly never answered any of my e-mails when I asked for his comment on it. Huh? Yep, I sent Bell an e-mail asking for his side - surprise, surprise, surprise - just like I did Sean David Morton, "Dr." Reed, Ed Dames, and others.

So . . . If I tell you Art Bell mentioned to me that he had sex with a llama you'd send him an email asking him if that were true, and barring a reply just assume that I must be telling the truth?

Wow. Those are some pretty high standards you've set.

If someone wants to be a Bell nut-hugger, I won't hold it against them.

This isn't about Art Bell the individual. It's about you using dishonest, cheap-shot tactics on someone while criticising others for their dishonesty. It's about sinking to the level of those you're criticising yet still pretending to hold some sort of moral high ground.

As for "distorting the truth", Bell is a prime example of just that.

If you find it so distasteful, why emulate the behavior?

I certainly don't like the fact that Bell is selective of the information he gives to his audience.

As are you, as you selectively pull single sentences (or less) from larger statements and post them as criticisms. I have a hard time believing you have a problem with people selectively using information when you don't mind doing it yourself. Why is that?

How the UFO cases and personalities I've proven to be frauds weren't so hard to expose, which always leaves me with the question of why the person claiming it was so easy didn't do it to begin with.

Really? You can't believe other people might be able to see through the charlatans and also decide not to dedicate months proving their case to others on the internet?

I guess most people have better things to do with their time than shoot fish in a barrel. I know I do.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
Why don't you and Ritzman start using an equal standard when measuring the behavior of people in the UFO community? Be able to call 'BS' and point out childish behavior on *all* sides . . . in short, be objective, not clannish.

-DBTrek

I do. I need only point out the Hale-Bopp fiasco to make the point. Anyone to give Bell the time of day after that needs their head examined. Again it takes no genius nor stretch of the imagination to see the obvious issues with Bell, nor Morton, nor Dames...etc.

Totally enough said.

Royce has had enough...for just this reason. The ridiculously short term memory of the public to recall with an ounce of accuracy what some of these UFO "stars" really are and what they've done.

Aside from the Paracast, I dont really have much need anymore to be involved engaging the public on this stuff either. It becomes an endless ball of frustration and lunacy and basless attacks that no one really wants to deal with.

Royce does have a disclaimer that there is HUMOR within his site. I think that is what people have a prob with. I mean, when something is "reportedly" he says so. I would have a prob with it if he said it as a matter of fact. He doesn't. Out of all the people in the field, he is hardly one to blame for mis representing something. I've memorized the dude's site, and he is accurate with a little humorous spin.

I didn't type this to convert anyone, but I did feel a need to say something, because I have devoured his site, and corresponded with him several times. He has a sense of humor, if you take it literally than yes, you might find something to nick pick about. But to pick on him, instead of Bell is really weird to me. Bell isn't 100 percent bad, but to stick up for him, over Royce, is weird to me. It's like saying Britney Spears is a better artist than Lennon.

I've been into this field since I was 10. Royce has done an excellent job giving the spill on people. He's worked on cases that I have, and nailed the results. I've also spoke with people in they field about him, and the all respect him. So, if you criticize him, please make sure you do better.

Folks,

The reasons for Royce's frustration are quite obvious, and well within reason.

Royce, there are many of us who appreciate your humor, intentions, integrity and sheer sense of balls. We need folks like you to keep things on a level that they deserve, and to be an honest, irreverent voice in the noise. You are always welcome on The Paracast, and dashnabbit, we should have another roundtable with Jeff, you, me, Gene, Richard Dolan, Horno, Kolonel Klink, Dick Cheney, Stalin and Georgio LukeAss.

There will always be people who complain about any sense of irony, who need to let us all know how they are "cool", "superior", see the world as a binary contrast of extremes, and who feel a need to present a contrarian view, regardless of the context. There's a fine line between being opinionated and just trolling, and every online forum has to have an equivalent of MetaFilter's ParisParamus. There it's an self-important republicon, here's it a self-righteous anarchist. That's the breaks. Anarchists never laugh, it makes them look too human.

dB

C'mon now . . . I laugh plenty. Especially on these forums.

My point is made. I simply reiterated it to Royce to avoid being accused of being unwilling to level criticism at him directly.

Trust me, every time another supporter chimes in and tells me how I worship Art Bell I'm laughing. It's like a David Lynch movie . . . all of the activity surrounding the main theme is disjointed and non-correlated. Most of the people here have gone to great lengths to avoid simply saying "Yeah, Royce did a dishonest hatched job on Bell". Instead it's "Art Bell deserves it because he's evil, and you swing on Bell's nutsack! You grovel before Art Bell you contrarian inhuman anarchist!"

Ooooooook. It's weird to see the human psyche go to such lengths to avoid addressing the actual point I've made, but very funny. :D

-DBTrek

I really hope that this dies down and I certainly hope Royce decides to take a break and come back stornger for it. Everyone needs a vacation from time to time.

I'm sorry to see this happen as I was just introduced to his work.

DBTrek said:
I certainly don't like the fact that Bell is selective of the information he gives to his audience.

As are you, as you selectively pull single sentences (or less) from larger statements and post them as criticisms. I have a hard time believing you have a problem with people selectively using information when you don't mind doing it yourself. Why is that?

Just curious...but does anybody else find the statement DBTrek made funny? Pot. Kettle. Black?

pot-kettle-black.jpg

I myself didn't realize that Royce had stopped posting. I too came across the Paracast through a convoluted method of:

1. Listening to C2C AM when they had Linda Moulton Howe on there...
2. Being extremely annoyed by her reporting.
3. Remembering having come across UFOWatchdog.
4. Going to look to see what he had written (I found the site funny and insightful in terms of the quacks and the greats in the field).
5. Realizing he had a blog and seeing a link to The Clueless One's site where he had an interview with David Biedny...
6. Tada! Here I am...

It sucks to see him go on a sabatical leave of sorts (particularly when I'm looking to spool up and find out more about the UFOlogy field). Ah well, I also can't blame him for taking a break from it all. In just a few days, I've really started to see how crazy and dog eat dog UFOlogy really can be...

Just read this thread for the first time and I'm struck by how many people ask that Art Bell be their hero or nuts to 'im.

Come on, Art is of the old radio school. Make good radio. Be the ultimate entertainer late into the night. Appeal to a broad audience, kooks merrily included. Be a huckster, yes. That does make good radio. Unfortunately, the guy who followed him ruins it. JC gets it just fine.

The only other thing that ruins it is an audience who demands what they would rather hear than what is presented. If folks ever take Bell for more than he is, an entertainer of sorts, they are bound to be disappointed. I didn't listen to shows that didn't appeal to me, but I probably missed some "good radio." That's all I ever expected of Bell and Coast. To have listened for other reasons such as the truth in all ufology, ghost busting, etc. would have been ludicrous given Art's radio schooling. He delivered paranormal or interesting fodder sometime or other to every radio listener from the truth to the ridiculous. It made him and now people crucify him for it. He can't be remembered for the sheer entertainment? That's a mistake.

The Paracast is of a different format, one of discernment. It ain't old radio, that's for sure and I do hold Gene and David to a higher standard. Thankfully, I get it. But Coast was never intended as such.

If you want to know a vacation from reality, ask Sereda, and Kal Korff. Greer and Morten. I could go on.

I've said before, but will again, Watchdog is to blame for me being here. Not enough in between people out there. Open minded skeptics I resonate with the most.

This recent sighting has a ring of truth for me. It has all the high strangeness sometimes reported, which is almost always present despite what we read. Jacque Vallee has stated that every sighting he personally investigated had aspects to the story that went unreported due only to the totally unbelievable aspect of the strangeness involved These investigators leaving nothing out. I'm thinking that maybe the only way to go forward in the field is to pay close attention to the really bizarre aspects of each sighting.

UFO Sighting Report September 9th 2007 : Tenerife, Canary Islands - 4 Hour UFO Sighting

Back