• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Research - New Mexico & Arizona

ennethouse

Ennet House
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a script with my writing partner at the moment that (without giving too much away) focuses in part on alien-human interaction with the native peoples of the South West of the US (specifically the Zuni and Hopi peoples) before and during the colonisation of the area by Europeans.

I live in Australia and have booked a trip over to the US in early 2011. I have a bit of time set aside (1-2 weeks) to visit New Mexico and Arizona for research on my way to New York to work on another project.

My question is this:

Can anyone suggest any people or places that I should visit that can shed a bit of light on this subject? More specifically, I want to delve deeper into some of the ideas that I've heard in recent weeks on the Paracast about the Zuni and Hopi people and their folklore to do with 'visitors' or 'star people,' and how this has informed their culture, beliefs and way of life. Any books that might exist on the subject would be a great help as well.

Any leads, however big or small, will be hugely appreciated :)

Hey everyone,
My question is this:

Can anyone suggest any people or places that I should visit that can shed a bit of light on this subject? More specifically, I want to delve deeper into some of the ideas that I've heard in recent weeks on the Paracast about the Zuni and Hopi people and their folklore to do with 'visitors' or 'star people,' and how this has informed their culture, beliefs and way of life. Any books that might exist on the subject would be a great help as well.
Any leads, however big or small, will be hugely appreciated :)

Okay Ennethouse, I am curious ... does this suggest a "consulting fee" or perhaps some type of "on-screen credit" providing of course the film ever gets made?

Decker

There's a couple of good books that spring to mind about NA mythology. The first is 'They Dance in the Sky: Native American Star Myths.' The second is almost a hundred years old now by Lewis Spence, Myths of the North American Indians. Spence's books are out of copyright and usually go for pennies in cheap book stores. In his preface he explains that he made an effort to avoid including myths that were cross-pollinated with Missionary Christian elements.

My favourite myth was a flood myth that involved a cave instead of the Ark and a bluejay instead of the dove. Remarkable parallel.

You could contact that bar in the Hopi Reservation ( Welcome to Hopi Cultural Center.com) and ask for advice straight from the horse's mouth?

Back