• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Remembering the Original UFO Contactees: Ask Ray Stanford!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
When George Adamski, Daniel Fry, Truman Bethurum, George Van Tassel and others gained some measure of fame, andi n some cases fortune, claiming to have contacted extraterrestrials in flying saucers, Ray Stanford and his brother, Rex, were there to see it all.

Ray will be joining us for a session scheduled for Thursday from 2 PM until 4 PM Eastern (11 AM until 1 PM Pacific) to offer his insights about all these fascinating people.

Did they really meet ETs, or just make it all up? Or was it a combination of both.

You can bet we'll have lots of fun. As Ray tells me, there's "a lot to share."

Ah man, I can't WAIT! So how does this work - do we just show up at this thread on Thursday while he's here and ask away, or can I post some questions now and see if our good man chooses to respond when he gets here? I'm so excited about this - getting the inside scoop from Ray Stanford is like a dream come true: thank you Gene!

I’m a great admirer of Ray Standford’s scientific approach to the ufo subject, so I’m grateful to have this opportunity. I’ve been studying Daniel Fry’s books and surviving audio interviews and talks for about 25 years now, and I find his story to be vastly more credible than any of the other 50’s-era contactees I’ve encountered. So here are my questions:

1.) I’m aware of the failed polygraph and the faked film reel of a ufo in the Daniel Fry case. But perhaps he faked the footage out of desperation to offer something tangible to support his story. What did Ray and Rex find in their examination of this case that convinced them that his story was a hoax?

2.) At the end of Daniel Fry’s book “Atoms, Galaxies and Understanding," published in 1960, Fry describes an intergalactic repulsive force: this wasn’t validated until 1998 when “dark energy” was discovered by astronomers. What does Mr. Stanford make of this, and does he know of any other cases where an alien contactee made a major scientific prediction that was later confirmed?

3.) Daniel Fry accurately described all of the key characteristics of a gravitational field propulsion system (faster-than-light travel capability, absence of g-forces on board even under high accelerations, absence of time dilation effects in transit, etc) 38 years before Miguel Alcubierre elucidated the theoretical physics of this concept in 1994, how do you think he did this?

4.) Fry worked at the White Sands Missile Proving Ground as an instrumentation technician alongside some of the brightest minds in US military research – do you think it’s possible that he learned about a highly classified gravitational field propulsion research program there, and fabricated his story of contact with an alien to provide a cover story to get the operating principles out to the public?

5.) We have multiple accounts of ufo sightings around the White Sands Missile Proving Ground in the late 1940’s and 50’s, and military bases in general seem to be hotspots for ufo sightings. So doesn’t it seem like a reasonable place for a close encounter of the second kind? Is Mr. Stanford aware of any other cases beside the RAF Bentwaters Incident, where observers at a military base were close enough to touch an unidentified object?

Last edited:
Mr. Stanford:

Prior to claiming contact, Adamski was involved in the occult, Bethurum was a "spiritual advisor" and Van Tassel was hosting "group meditation."

1) In your opinion, were Adamsky, Bethurum and Van Tassel simply lying about their contact experiences?

2) Or do you think it is possible that they were misled by the occult and spiritual powers that they had been involved with, to the point of even including visionary experiences and telepathic communication?​

For reference:
By 1930 "Adamski was a minor figure on the California occult scene", teaching his personal mixture of Christianity and Eastern religions, which he called "Universal Progressive Christianity" and "Universal Law". In the early 1930s, while living in Laguna Beach, Adamski founded the "Royal Order of Tibet," which held its meetings in the "Temple of Scientific Philosophy." Adamski served as a "philosopher" and teacher at the temple. The "Royal Order of Tibet" was given a government license to make wine for "religious purposes" during Prohibition; Adamski was quoted as saying "I made enough wine for all of Southern California ... I was making a fortune!"
George Adamski - Wikipedia

Bethurum was born in Gavalin, California, and in the early 1950s worked as a mechanic on a road-building crew and as a spiritual advisor. In 1953 Bethurum first published magazine and newspaper (Redondo Beach Daily Breeze, September 25, 1953) accounts of being contacted on eleven separate occasions by the human crew of a landed space ship . . .
Truman Bethurum - Wikipedia

George Van Tassel started hosting group meditation in 1953 in a room underneath Giant Rock excavated by Frank Critzer, a prospector. That year, according to Van Tassel the occupant of a space ship from the planet Venus woke him up, invited him on board his space ship, and both verbally and telepathically gave him a technique for rejuvenating the human body.
George Van Tassel - Wikipedia

Ray, your work is extremely valuable and important to the UFO field. We are all eager to see the evidence when you are ready to share it. What conditions need to transpire to allow you to feel comfortable sharing your evidence? Is there anything that those of us interested in the field can assist you to be ready to share sooner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ray, your work is extremely valuable and important to the UFO field. We are all eager to see the evidence when you are ready to share it. What conditions need to transpire to allow you to feel comfortable sharing your evidence? Is there anything that those of us interested in the field can assist you to be ready to share sooner?

Great question Matt!

I can not endorse this more strongly

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

1. You’ve done research on film and photographic evidence of UFOs. What is the current status of this research? How many scientists have seen this research and what has been their feedback?

2. What is your sense of how many high-level politicians are interested in the topic of UFOs? Have you spoken with any who want to remain anonymous?

3. What does ufology do wrong? What can be done to improve it?

4. How many civilian or military pilots have you spoken with about their UFO sightings? Could you recount a story or two?

5. Do you think there is any validity at all to the claim made by groups like ET Let’s Talk, that through the use of a particular protocol they can induce contact with ETs in the sky?

6. What explains the debunking dogmatism of many skeptics relative to UFOs? What precisely are the philosophical, psychological or other mistakes they make?

Thank you Gene and Chris!
-Eric

Chris mentioned that Truman Bethurum wrote a book of love poems for Aura Rhanes, and apparently his wife divorced him in part over jealousy of her.

That got me wondering if some of these contactees had real experiences, but perhaps staged experiences, where the contactees were told ridiculous and easily falsifiable things to provide cover for a real contactee experience.

Here’s my question:

I wonder if Mr. Stanford has ever considered that an advanced humanoid species might conduct an elaborate psychological operation with a range of human subjects, as a smokescreen to protect a real contactee from potentially dire official consequences. By creating a rash of campy and laughable contact experiences, a genuine contactee would be written off as just another silly hoax, instead of being detained, interrogated, and possibly tested or tortured if the government actually believed that they had contact with an advanced alien race.

That sounds like something our own intelligence agencies might do if we wanted to make covert contact on an alien planet, so why wouldn’t an even more advanced civilization employ sophisticated deceptions like that?

We invited Ray back to join us on After The Paracast to continue the interview with stuff that we didn't get a chance to cover.

Thank you Gene and Chris - I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear this interview! Ray Stanford is our last and best hope of gleaning meaningful new insight into this era and the people involved in it - I can't wait to hear what comes out in your discussions!

Back