• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Redfern Out, Kimball In - 8 October 2017

Paul Kimball

Paranormal Adept
My good friend Nick Redfern was going to be the guest this week, but he's under the weather, so Gene has asked me to step in to represent the shadowy group known as The Cabal, and to talk about ghosts, hauntings, and the other stuff that I'm working on as part of my new series for Canadian television called "Haunted". You can read a current article about me and my work here.

Feel free to fire away if you have any questions. Whilst I would prefer for this to be a "UFO free" episode, I'm happy to talk about the 50th anniversary Shag Harbour UFO Festival which I spoke at this past weekend here in Nova Scotia.

We're recording the episode at 7 pm EST tonight, October 4th.

pk halifax magazine.jpg

Last edited:
Why arbitrarily exclude UFOs from conversations about hauntings when something alien could be behind both phenomena?

NOTE: I realize that if it's about audience pleasing and ratings that the answer will have to be something like "true believers" see aliens everywhere, because if "ufology is the hammer everything looks like a nail", etc. so let's just skip that dodge and come up with something better.

Last edited:
Why arbitrarily exclude UFOs from conversations about hauntings when something alien could be behind both phenomena?

NOTE: I realize that if it's about audience pleasing and ratings that the answer will have to be something like "true believers" see aliens everywhere, because if "ufology is the hammer everything looks like a nail", etc. so let's just skip that dodge and come up with something better.

Did it ever occur to you that I simply have no interest in talking about UFOs this time? If you don't dig ghosts and hauntings that's cool, just don't listen. I'm sure there will be plenty more UFO-centric episodes coming.

Since Han got to the excellent question re nautical ghosts associated with Nova Scotia, I'll ask about the native culture ghost lore there. What can you tell us about that?

Did it ever occur to you that I simply have no interest in talking about UFOs this time? If you don't dig ghosts and hauntings that's cool, just don't listen. I'm sure there will be plenty more UFO-centric episodes coming.
Sure it occurred to me, along with some of the other stuff you've said in the past too. Did it ever occur to you that some people out here like to contemplate how the phenomena is possible rather than simply taking it for granted or getting a kick out of the fright factor? I assumed maybe you might be among that crowd rather than merely creating an entertainment piece based on what your personal interest is ( not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that ).

Last edited:
Sure it occurred to me, along with some of the other stuff you've said in the past too. I suppose if you're main interest is in simply creating an entertainment piece based on what your interest is rather than exploring explanations, then your perspective is perfectly understandable. But some folks out here like to contemplate how the phenomena is possible rather than simply taking it for granted or getting a kick out of the fright factor. Don't you?

Sure. But on my terms, not yours. You passive-aggressive taking potshots at my work, and trying to diminish what I do, doesn't make me want to change that outlook.

Last edited:
Sure. But on my terms, not . You passive-aggressive taking potshots at my work, and trying to diminish what I do, doesn't make me want to change that outlook.
You completely misunderstand. There's no "potshots" being taken at your work. Nor am I trying to diminish it. If anything I'm trying to open it up to a wider view, a possibility that is being arbitrarily rejected on personal grounds. Can the phenomena ( if genuine ) be linked to a possible explanation that makes sense rather than attributing it to invisible dead people? Why not try looking at it from that perspective instead of being stuck only in "your terms, not." ( whatever that means )?

As for the "passive aggressive" crack, I just find that laughable. Anyone who knows me knows I say exactly what's on my mind. With over 8000 posts here, that should be really obvious. There's no psychological subterfuge going on.

Last edited:
I wonder in his work so far, if Paul has stumbled onto anything that warranted a genuine reaction of "Holy Cow!". Perhaps see an object move by itself or something else that couldn't be explained any other way (other than a ghost/spirit making it happen). Thank you :)

I wonder in his work so far, if Paul has stumbled onto anything that warranted a genuine reaction of "Holy Cow!". Perhaps see an object move by itself or something else that couldn't be explained any other way (other than a ghost/spirit making it happen). Thank you :)

Lots of stuff, some of which we have caught on camera or audio. But just as I don't think seeing something in the sky proves that a UFO is a space alien structured craft, which is the non-prosaic explanation I find least likely, for a host of reasons, so too do I think that the least likely non-prosaic explanation for "ghosts" rests with the "it's a dead person" idea. Not ruling it out completely, because we just don't know (and honestly, as with UFOs, I don't think we can ever know)... just not the one that I find most compelling.

In this episode, we talk at some length about what I think it might all be, so I'll just leave that for Sunday.

Lots of stuff, some of which we have caught on camera or audio. But just as I don't think seeing something in the sky proves that a UFO is a space alien structured craft, which is the non-prosaic explanation I find least likely, for a host of reasons, so too do I think that the least likely non-prosaic explanation for "ghosts" rests with the "it's a dead person" idea. Not ruling it out completely, because we just don't know (and honestly, as with UFOs, I don't think we can ever know)... just not the one that I find most compelling.

In this episode, we talk at some length about what I think it might all be, so I'll just leave that for Sunday.
Excellent. Looking forward to seeing/hearing what you've captured. Thank you :)

Back