• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Redfern Out, Kimball In - 8 October 2017

Without even seeing the show, I get the impression (based off of the information I've absorbed) that Paul's show will the "real deal". There won't be any of those phony "Hey, did you hear that? What was that?" right before a commercial and then when the show comes back on they're like "Oh, Dylan dropped a microphone - that's all it was lol" kinda crap.

The problem with most "ghost hunters" is that they use substandard equipment, which they don't really understand. But yes, I've met some other folks who actually know what they're doing when it comes to AV equipment, and who are using high end stuff, that report similar issues.

Hi Paul, in your experience and those that you know about, does the piece of equipment get drained when it is 'on' / being used, or does it get emptied when it is 'off' or on 'Standby'.

I wonder if an experiment could be devised using a battery taken into an 'active'/haunted area with a specially designed 'power' monitoring system.
Maybe using chemicals like they do on a packet of Duracell batteries, where you can roughly check/test the remaining battery life by means of a visual indicator on the packet that changes colour according to the power remaining.
I think it works a bit like a litmus paper and the reason I suggest it as being part of the monitoring system is because it does not require a power source to operate itself.
I am just throwing this out so I might not explain every thing well, please tell me if I become unclear.

My experience with rechargeable batteries used in a low range/amateur handheld digital video cameras is that: the on screen battery indicator is quite unreliable especially after a lot of use over time, sometimes it may indicate more or less 'battery time remaining' than it actually has, although this also happens with 'recording time' i.e how much space on left on the HDD/memory card it is less noticeable. My understanding is that all sorts of factors can change both, for instance zooming uses power from the main battery to power the motors etc
I would expect that in pro kit this would be less of an issue, but the point is that the indicator are calculations rather than exact numbers. What I am suggesting is a kind of 'dipstick' rather than relying on the dashboard petrol gauge.

If it was a tyre (inner tube) with a 'slow' puncture I would put it underwater and see where the air was escaping from by looking for the bubbles of air that came from the leak/s.
I am trying to imagine away to do the same with an electric circuit that leaks into the 'ether'. Maybe buy using the same principal as the on-packet battery tester (but maybe in gas or liquid form) as a substitute for water.

Now I have just thought of this, does the complexity of the equipment effect the phenomana's interest in it? or if it can meddle with it at all? for example is it more likely to want to play with a digital camera than a 'film' camera? maybe it could find old equipment easier/harder to mess with because it relies on the 'work' being generated manually? (as in cranking the arm of the movie camera). As funny as it sounds maybe a modern 'movie camera' (using modern materials and design techniques like plastics and hydraulics ((yes a pump up camera))) employing film and a crank shaft could possibly reveal/capture something a digital one wouldn't.
I think the more moving parts the more that can be interfered with or go wrong. And if the phenomena is electric maybe by using low conductive materials like plastic for the inner workings of the camera could help.

out of time but will add more in a bit

Hi Paul, in your experience and those that you know about, does the piece of equipment get drained when it is 'on' / being used, or does it get emptied when it is 'off' or on 'Standby'.

I wonder if an experiment could be devised using a battery taken into an 'active'/haunted area with a specially designed 'power' monitoring system.
Maybe using chemicals like they do on a packet of Duracell batteries, where you can roughly check/test the remaining battery life by means of a visual indicator on the packet that changes colour according to the power remaining.
I think it works a bit like a litmus paper and the reason I suggest it as being part of the monitoring system is because it does not require a power source to operate itself.
I am just throwing this out so I might not explain every thing well, please tell me if I become unclear.

My experience with rechargeable batteries used in a low range/amateur handheld digital video cameras is that: the on screen battery indicator is quite unreliable especially after a lot of use over time, sometimes it may indicate more or less 'battery time remaining' than it actually has, although this also happens with 'recording time' i.e how much space on left on the HDD/memory card it is less noticeable. My understanding is that all sorts of factors can change both, for instance zooming uses power from the main battery to power the motors etc
I would expect that in pro kit this would be less of an issue, but the point is that the indicator are calculations rather than exact numbers. What I am suggesting is a kind of 'dipstick' rather than relying on the dashboard petrol gauge.

If it was a tyre (inner tube) with a 'slow' puncture I would put it underwater and see where the air was escaping from by looking for the bubbles of air that came from the leak/s.
I am trying to imagine away to do the same with an electric circuit that leaks into the 'ether'. Maybe buy using the same principal as the on-packet battery tester (but maybe in gas or liquid form) as a substitute for water.

Now I have just thought of this, does the complexity of the equipment effect the phenomana's interest in it? or if it can meddle with it at all? for example is it more likely to want to play with a digital camera than a 'film' camera? maybe it could find old equipment easier/harder to mess with because it relies on the 'work' being generated manually? (as in cranking the arm of the movie camera). As funny as it sounds maybe a modern 'movie camera' (using modern materials and design techniques like plastics and hydraulics ((yes a pump up camera))) employing film and a crank shaft could possibly reveal/capture something a digital one wouldn't.
I think the more moving parts the more that can be interfered with or go wrong. And if the phenomena is electric maybe by using low conductive materials like plastic for the inner workings of the camera could help.

out of time but will add more in a bit

On the question of batteries for cameras like the Black Magic that we use, it's a fairly simple calculus. We know how long they should last from our own experience, and from the tech specs. When you take a fully charged one and then it's done ten minutes later, something is amiss. What that "something" is might be open for interpretation, but it's not normal - especially if it's location specific, i.e. works fine at the location prior and the works fine at the location after.

Without even seeing the show, I get the impression (based off of the information I've absorbed) that Paul's show will the "real deal". There won't be any of those phony "Hey, did you hear that? What was that?" right before a commercial and then when the show comes back on they're like "Oh, Dylan dropped a microphone - that's all it was lol" kinda crap.

It's TV and I'm not a martyr, so of course there are cliffhangers etc. None, however, where we break and then come back to find out that something was actually nothing (although there are segments where we do indeed debunk things, when they're debunkable).

It's TV and I'm not a martyr, so of course there are cliffhangers etc. None, however, where we break and then come back to find out that something was actually nothing (although there are segments where we do indeed debunk things, when they're debunkable).
Exactly. And don't get me wrong; I love a good cliffhanger. But so many of these shows (like say Fox's crappy "Chasing UFO's") completely beat to death the concept of the bogus cliff hanger (where when they come back from commercial there's nothing of substance).

Can't wait to see an episode!

... any time you're dealing with "the paranormal," whether it's UFOs or ghosts or whatever, think there is an element of faith that enters into it.
I think "any time" is a bit of an exaggeration except in the widest sense where the filter is so porous that everything including faith elements gets lumped in with the subject matter, in which case the claim is no more meaningful than saying all men are males. There are few examples that come to mind where there isn't a way to map some sort of "faith" in something onto whatever the subject is. Maybe that's why the "faith argument" appears to be a favorite for debunkers and skeptics. It serves to imply that the subject should be devalued because they believe all manifestations of faith equates to unsubstantiated nonsense, when it's more reasonable to believe that only some of it is.

Last edited:
Exactly. And don't get me wrong; I love a good cliffhanger. But so many of these shows (like say Fox's crappy "Chasing UFO's") completely beat to death the concept of the bogus cliff hanger (where when they come back from commercial there's nothing of substance).

Can't wait to see an episode!

I'm going to see if the broadcaster will allow me to let Gene post an episode or two in the Paracast+ but I doubt it. For a start, we would have to be able to geo-block it in Canada.

On the question of batteries for cameras like the Black Magic that we use, it's a fairly simple calculus. We know how long they should last from our own experience, and from the tech specs. When you take a fully charged one and then it's done ten minutes later, something is amiss. What that "something" is might be open for interpretation, but it's not normal - especially if it's location specific, i.e. works fine at the location prior and the works fine at the location after.

I was thinking about using a battery or circuit as bait or a salt lick or something. Maybe the 'spirits' could even manipulate a gas or liquid like an electro magnet does iron filings. (a spirit version of etch o sketch*)
I have heard of people/magicians/spirits using ink or mirrors being able to 'project'** an image that other people can see.

If the batteries were working properly before and since then something must have 'eaten' the power, and maybe by monitoring this power loss/use something new could be determined.

img_1017.jpg

*etch a sketch: André Cassagnes - Wikipedia
Ghostbusters picture! I love google search in some ways.

**mentally/telepathically

& also the less mention of 'scepter's and the possession thereof should be not to frequently mentioned when there is an English crowd/Rabble such as myslef present.

the very thought of 'Boz' polishing his minuscule scepter would bring myrth to the ranks of any force.

but Ufology: yes you should be in for a bit of banter too surely?

boooooooo!

Let us move the argument forward, why wouldn't there be UFO's Saucers UAP?

Oh. Thanks for that Han. I missed Jimi's question. @Jimi doesn't post often, but has been around for quite a while, and I'd expect such a level headed question from him. We've discussed this at length in other threads in the past, and I think I put down the short version someplace recently, but my efforts are evoking less interest and more personal attacks, so I'm not sure I want to put in the effort to explain it to people who are just going to be dismissive or hurtful ( You, Jimi and a couple of others who know who they are not included there ).

I enjoy writing and get nothing for my input here. Even if I had 2 cents a word it might be worth taking the heat from those who take the joy out of it for me. It's takes a lot of emotional energy to engage in these kinds of battles, and I'd rather put into other more creative projects. But I'll see if I can find the short explanation and link to it, or maybe I'll add it to the USI site or the Philosophy, Science and The Unexplained
thread and link to it there, but I'll need some time to recreate it in a single concise article that is easily referenced. Mind you I did that for our discussion on Ufology and The Supernatural and not even a single like for the effort. So part of me asks, "Why bother?"

Last edited:
I'm going to see if the broadcaster will allow me to let Gene post an episode or two in the Paracast+ but I doubt it. For a start, we would have to be able to geo-block it in Canada.
Wow. That would be amazing Paul. At age 46, I'll always look forward to seeing something that is legit - being that since age 7 I've been taken by so many erroneous stories/cases. The last 46 years have made me very jaded (mostly seeing that my "favorite" UFO cases are all bogus). Keep up the good work and you are one of two reasons why I'm here at The Paracast (and P+) :)

& also the less mention of 'scepter's and the possession thereof should be not to frequently mentioned when there is an English crowd/Rabble such as myslef present.

the very thought of 'Boz' polishing his minuscule scepter would bring myrth to the ranks of any force.
At least I have one :D

and not even a single like for the effort. So part of me asks, "Why bother?"

I would like a dislike option too.

Also as I always say, don't forget people that read the threads but are not members. You won't get any likes from them, but they still read what you say.

there are many occasions where I will read a post in an ongoing discussion, but wont hit the like button because I don't want to influence things either way.

for example in another thread you said:

"The level of bamboozling going on with Brandenburg* appears to be of such sophistication that it exceeds most people's ability to detect that it is bamboozling"

I don't know anything about him, so I couldn't like your post, but I think the same principle (bamboozling) applies to the "Paranormal" in general.

If I accepted everything I heard at face value from the 'field' I would think that Bigfoot was a primate Unicorn herder, the Earth is flat and people are being eaten by 'reptoids' or whatever.

Doubts need to be raised.
Just don't expect any appreciation or thanks, people don't like uncertainty. I think that is a big part of the problem in general, everyone needs to feel like they' know'.

*could be replaced with Ufos/paranormal

Back