• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Recent DMR's

Free episodes:

I asked you to explain two mysteries site, Pumu Punku you agree it very hard to explain (yes) and Baalbek, you said that place can be explained and you never said how was it explained? I Post these photographs just for people to get a feel for what we are discussing! Please do enlighten us to how those stones were moved please, you say can be explained, so go ahead?

Baalbek. Despite the smarmy tone of your phrasing, 'please do enlighten us,' I'll post a summary of why it's explained. In my several hundred posts on this site, you'll find very few that use the sarcasm or insulting terms that you are happy to use. It was the same poor attitude that prompted my first response to you.

Okay. I'll try and explain some reasons why I don't think Baalbek is older than the Roman Empire circa 1st Century AD. Neither do I believe the Romans used any exotic technology or had the assistance of ancient astronauts or devices that helped them to levitate the stones. My position on all the ancient megaliths and monuments is that humans designed and constructed them using the technology and tools available at the time.

Baalbek was a strategic location between the cross-roads of Egypt, Syria and Mesopotamia-Phoenicia. It had great importance to the Romans and when they took control they quickly began the construction of major temples. True to form, they made allowances for local culture as they did across Europe. The Temple for Bacchus became the largest complex of the Roman era. They adapted the regional water resources to include springs as part of the complex and to provide water for the population. These springs also appealed to the native population's beliefs that viewed water as sacred and was a place of pilgrimage. Given its location and the political and social pressure to be impressive and indicative of their massive power, they set out to build a complex unusual in scale.

This is where academic researchers and 'forbidden archaeologists' go in separate directions. The great size of the platform stones, the 'Trilithon,' has led a lot of people to conclude that the Romans couldn't have managed to move these stones and therefore they must originate in an unknown time. Guesses about *who* built them varies depending on the beliefs of those writing the books or hosting the websites.

Between 600 and 800 tons is the weight generally given to these stones. That's pretty heavy stuff. A German archaeological team in early 1920s excavated down to the bedrock of the stones and found Roman waste and debris. They also noted that the rear of the stones are more concave and honey-combed like much of the Roman style of monument-building. In the centuries before the Romans arrived at Baalbek, the Egyptians had a brisk business in carving and erecting obelisks. The biggest of which is called the 'Unfinished Obelisk.' It lies in the quarry after an unforeseen fissure caused it to crack along the weakest plane. 1100 tons is the estimated weight. Its surface is pitted with the strikes of diorite hammers used to carve it. Along two sides are the straight lines of pits the quarrymen would use to break the stone from its bedding plane.

The Egyptians had managed to successfully carve obelisks weighing in at up to 700 tons and erect them. The Romans admired these huge objects and began taking them to Rome in the 1st Century. One of the heaviest is the Lateran Obelisk at up to 600 tons. They hauled its ass to Rome during the time they were constructing the Baalbek temples. Last year, in another thread, I worked it out to be some 1300 miles! Smaller obelisks of around 300-400 tons were also taken to Rome.

The Baalbek stones were moved just 1200 feet downhill from the quarry they were carved from. In the light of the Roman's transportation of the obelisks, this feat loses the sense of mystery we see in some sites and books.

How were the stones transported from the quarry is the next question you'd be wondering about? By the time of Baalbek, the Romans were using great windlasses anchored into the ground with huge iron stakes. These techniques have been recorded in the records in different parts of the Empire. They continued using the same method of moving great weights for the next 1500 years and employed them to erect the Lateran Obelisk at St Peters Basilica. At Baalbek, they'd clear the landscape of obstacles to ensure a level downhill passage. Using the system of windlasses and the use of draft animals to augment teams of men, they'd move these stones slowly and surely down hill to their final resting places. It could take months, but they were there for decades. The massive 1200 ton block that remains in the quarry was carved with the intention of being moved and maybe regional or political changes ensured it stayed there?

Here's an interesting link to add more detail to the Roman use of windlasses/winches and the techniques they used in constructing their monuments...http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=IISfZt_-ZgQC&oi=fnd&pg=PP3&sig=MJSDRfsH7aJbXU3wvS1M_hK5Mdo&dq=baalbek+trilithon#v=onepage&q=baalbek%20trilithon&f=false (pages 24-38)

Here's the 'Unfinished Obelisk'...http://www.egypt-nile.co.uk/unfinished_obelisk.htm

unfinished_obelisk.JPG

Moving the Vatican Obelisk with windlasses...http://pruned.blogspot.com/2007/05/moving-vatican-obelisk.html

The Russians moved a 1500 ton stone without animals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Horseman#The_Thunder_Stone

I will try to answer some of the the issues you've raised constructively.
I have to say, your complete dismissal of Cremo's work "Forbidden Archaeology" still my opinion supports the argument, I previously made! Physical evidence does exist, well the book would be just meaningless without there being some physical evidence to confirm those stories , surely you can see the dilemma some of us face?
Some members of the forum, as well as I, can not truly, comprehend the bullish stance, you've taken, it's not a personal attack against you personally, it's your views of Human history, that I can't wrap my head around, and Yes your fully entitled to have a different viewpoint, but your not entitled to bash everyone around the head with your viewpoint.

Well said Kieran, I could not have said it better myself.

Kandinsky said:
.....I will try to answer some of the the issues you've raised constructively.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.:)

Hey Kandinsky,

The way they moved the thunder stone is interesting.

The fact that they used brass balls to roll the stone on is an idea you rarely hear people suggesting as a method for moving other large things. Wooden rollers seems to be the choice of many.

From an economics standpoint it does make sense that even if they were used in ancient time, the bronze-spheres-in-a-track method (and other 'high-tech' methods) may have been proprietary. That is to say, those who knew about the technique would seek to limit people's knowledge of it, so as to ensure a greater potential for future profits. With some decent security, the public would effectively be kept in the dark as to how things were done. And all that really means is having guards keep the public a safe distance from the progress of the stone and keep the workers in their own camp with plenty of wine women and food to make sure any wanton gum-flapping stays onsite. (Or one could use illiterate slaves and kill them all when they've done their job - that'd keep the secret.)

I'm not saying this was how things were done, just that good business sense may have reduced our ability to gain knowledge regarding certain ancient technologies. Not only that, but consider also that the capital goods and knowledge required to move large stones was still able to be contained within the mind of a single man. So having several skilled tradesmen with the knowledge in their mind negates the need to have to write it all down - risking the possibility that the competition will bribe some punk to steal it, or acquire the information in some other way.

Not only that, but this knowledge would be probably considered 'dual-use technology'. This knowledge and tech use to move massive objects/stones could be used to help move massive siege engines and increase the construction speed of enemy fortifications. It would be something that your side would want keep under wraps.

Baalbek. Despite the smarmy tone of your phrasing, 'please do enlighten us,' I'll post a summary of why it's explained. In my several hundred posts on this site, you'll find very few that use the sarcasm or insulting terms that you are happy to use. It was the same poor attitude that prompted my first response to you.

Okay. I'll try and explain some reasons why I don't think Baalbek is older than the Roman Empire circa 1st Century AD. Neither do I believe the Romans used any exotic technology or had the assistance of ancient astronauts or devices that helped them to levitate the stones. My position on all the ancient megaliths and monuments is that humans designed and constructed them using the technology and tools available at the time.

Baalbek was a strategic location between the cross-roads of Egypt, Syria and Mesopotamia-Phoenicia. It had great importance to the Romans and when they took control they quickly began the construction of major temples. True to form, they made allowances for local culture as they did across Europe. The Temple for Bacchus became the largest complex of the Roman era. They adapted the regional water resources to include springs as part of the complex and to provide water for the population. These springs also appealed to the native population's beliefs that viewed water as sacred and was a place of pilgrimage. Given its location and the political and social pressure to be impressive and indicative of their massive power, they set out to build a complex unusual in scale.

This is where academic researchers and 'forbidden archaeologists' go in separate directions. The great size of the platform stones, the 'Trilithon,' has led a lot of people to conclude that the Romans couldn't have managed to move these stones and therefore they must originate in an unknown time. Guesses about *who* built them varies depending on the beliefs of those writing the books or hosting the websites.

Between 600 and 800 tons is the weight generally given to these stones. That's pretty heavy stuff. A German archaeological team in early 1920s excavated down to the bedrock of the stones and found Roman waste and debris. They also noted that the rear of the stones are more concave and honey-combed like much of the Roman style of monument-building. In the centuries before the Romans arrived at Baalbek, the Egyptians had a brisk business in carving and erecting obelisks. The biggest of which is called the 'Unfinished Obelisk.' It lies in the quarry after an unforeseen fissure caused it to crack along the weakest plane. 1100 tons is the estimated weight. Its surface is pitted with the strikes of diorite hammers used to carve it. Along two sides are the straight lines of pits the quarrymen would use to break the stone from its bedding plane.

The Egyptians had managed to successfully carve obelisks weighing in at up to 700 tons and erect them. The Romans admired these huge objects and began taking them to Rome in the 1st Century. One of the heaviest is the Lateran Obelisk at up to 600 tons. They hauled its ass to Rome during the time they were constructing the Baalbek temples. Last year, in another thread, I worked it out to be some 1300 miles! Smaller obelisks of around 300-400 tons were also taken to Rome.

The Baalbek stones were moved just 1200 feet downhill from the quarry they were carved from. In the light of the Roman's transportation of the obelisks, this feat loses the sense of mystery we see in some sites and books.

How were the stones transported from the quarry is the next question you'd be wondering about? By the time of Baalbek, the Romans were using great windlasses anchored into the ground with huge iron stakes. These techniques have been recorded in the records in different parts of the Empire. They continued using the same method of moving great weights for the next 1500 years and employed them to erect the Lateran Obelisk at St Peters Basilica. At Baalbek, they'd clear the landscape of obstacles to ensure a level downhill passage. Using the system of windlasses and the use of draft animals to augment teams of men, they'd move these stones slowly and surely down hill to their final resting places. It could take months, but they were there for decades. The massive 1200 ton block that remains in the quarry was carved with the intention of being moved and maybe regional or political changes ensured it stayed there?

Here's an interesting link to add more detail to the Roman use of windlasses/winches and the techniques they used in constructing their monuments...http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=IISfZt_-ZgQC&oi=fnd&pg=PP3&sig=MJSDRfsH7aJbXU3wvS1M_hK5Mdo&dq=baalbek+trilithon#v=onepage&q=baalbek%20trilithon&f=false (pages 24-38)

Here's the 'Unfinished Obelisk'...http://www.egypt-nile.co.uk/unfinished_obelisk.htm

dialoguresart3.jpg

Moving the Vatican Obelisk with windlasses...http://pruned.blogspot.com/2007/05/moving-vatican-obelisk.html

The Russians moved a 1500 ton stone without animals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Horseman#The_Thunder_Stone

I don't wish for my words to be insulting. But the fact is, i believe I have successfully challenged everything you have claimed so far!

You obviously have skipped, or avoided expressing opinions on lot of what I posted last, maybe you had no time o do so, or just had no opinion either way, but I believe again I raised issues that contradict lot of what you had to say!

Before I get started. The most interesting link for me personally, and it's information that i wasn't aware of is the Thunder Rock. Really fascinating stuff, and it does open up other options to consider no doubt. The movement of the stone occurred in the 18th century, so you have to taken that into consideration the level of engineering expertise, and nohow available at the time in history!

It is often said, the further we look back in history, the less sophisticated the technology becomes! According to the Historians Baalbek, was build hundreds of years before this event took place! We most also taken into consideration too the dimensions of the Thunder Rock, it was very bulky not overly long, often the longer the object is the greater difficulty of transporting from one place to the other.

But I still must admit again it does show us large rocks and stones can be transported with effort, and nohow when the conditions are correct, and no spaceships or mystical practices in the movement of large stones is required!

What I claim next is factual can not be disputed by academics scholars writers of history no one. We both are hotly debating the large stones at Baalbek Lebanon, and the origins of the stone. Who the Romans?.. or someone else?

Here is a couple or more facts that historians do not dispute or claim is not true!

There is No Roman records that claim having build the incredible retaining wall!

There is no record of actually how the Romans transported the stones from one location to the next, it just speculation I'm afraid! You have posted information that is purely speculation, well it reads nice on paper, but we have no evidence it happened the way you said it had!

Romans capabilities of transporting large rocks or stones, seems to have been limited to weights of 300 or 400 tons.. I will address the Obelisks transporting from locations in Egypt to Rome Italy shortly, the Romans had previously tried to manage higher weights, but were unsuccessful in doing so, and like I said above, will outline the well-documented history of what I claim.

Scholars and History Buffs, a number of them, scoff at the idea that the Romans had not brought the great blocks of stone to the temple site. Here lies the problem. Megalithic stone construction is not a Roman style, buildings of this type were not constructed during Roman rule in the Middle east.

Romans had started using concrete for all building work, you want an example of the Roman style, perfect example is the Colosseum in Rome (concrete)

Baalbek, also has a well-established history, before the Romans. The Temple of Jupiter was build on top of the platform, that was already there. The three large stones the Trilithon were already placed, and the Romans build over the previous temple that was already there!

As regards to the weight of the stones., The stones are over 800 tons!

Historians claim a lower weight, well to stop people questioning the logic of the Romans having transported the blocks of stone from one location to the next! The less weight the blocks are, the easier it is to claim the Romans had moved the stones!

Another reason why we know that all the blocks of stone were not brought there to the site, is erosion!

Some of the blocks, have a different color and texture. Which basically was caused by weather patterns, time out in the sun and construction time. Erosion of some of the stone blocks, is the killer, and this geological evidence categorically without question in my mind, confirms many of the large stones were there before the Romans arrived, and started construction of the Temple of Jupiter (still alleged only) over the previous Old temple that was build for the "GOD Baal" around 2,000 years previously.

The stone left at the quarry is a estimated 1, 170 tons, and it still mystery why is was left behind?

You've speculated, But maybe it was just too big for the retaining wall? It was the largest of the block stones, the others were slightly smaller than that one 800 to 1000 tons?

I have lot more information, that I could post at a later time. The history of the area, the peoples that once occupied the lands, and other important factors which solidly support my position, but I will wait to see what you have to say, before replying further.

Before I end the post as I said I would!

The Obelisks, you have previously brought this issue up before, ok let me be clear. Lot of the Obelisks were brought over from Egypt in pieces so to reduce the weight and none were over 400 tons. I honestly, have no clue were you got the the figure of 600 tons or more?

The accurate weight of the Lateran Obelisk is 330 tons, but I have to admit and be honest, 4m of the obelisk was lost during the 1587 restoration, but 4m would still not account for the extra 270 tons you mentioned!

I have accurate weight on other Obelisks brought over by the Romans, but all were and still are below the figure of 400 tons.

Again, you see the dilemma we face, the records from Rome show weights of over 400 tones were never transported successfully, if you require an example ok!

Emperor Augustus of Rome, conquered Egypt in 27BC, he then went on, and ordered that the obelisk at the "Karnak Temple"in Egypt be transported to Rome. Well it is well-documented recorded by the Romans, that that effort was aborted, when his prize proved too heavy to lift!

Here we are shown the limited capabilities of the Romans in transporting larges stones across large distances, the weight of the Obelisk was between 323-455 tons also according to the Romans!

This kind of does make a mockery of the argument, the Romans had the ability to move stones well over 800 tons or more!

I believe that before it was the Temple of Jupiter, it was the the Temple of Zeus. And that was after it was the Temple of Baal.Wouldn't that historical fact, if correct, put it before the Romans built on top of the trilithons? Also, and on this I'm not sure I am remembering correctly, wasn't the quarry downhill from the site?

I believe that before it was the Temple of Jupiter, it was the the Temple of Zeus. And that was after it was the Temple of Baal.Wouldn't that historical fact, if correct, put it before the Romans built on top of the trilithons? Also, and on this I'm not sure I am remembering correctly, wasn't the quarry downhill from the site?

Hiya Rich, the quarry was uphill from the site. Although the site of Baalbek was occupied since 3000bc (small settlement) when the Romans arrived they made an effort to fit in with the local customs. The size and style of the complexes is thought to be for those reasons. By building the temple complex where they did and how they did was borne of their expertise. The quarry had been used earlier and the archaeology of the area shows the layers of succeeding cultures.

If the Romans planned to build such a massive structure, they'd look at the lay of land and the location of the quarry. They built Rome on seven hills and had a long history of overcoming nature. Just look at the amazing use of arches to build viaducts across Europe. These guys were hardcore builders. The trilithon probably had to be laid where it is for a couple of reasons; close to the quarry, as a retaining wall due to the angle of the slope that helped to put it there. If we look at the Giza complex of Egypt, they'd also quarry stone from as close to the planned construction as possible.

There's no evidence of any other population, large enough in number and organisation, or even having the reason to place the trilithon. And why put a retaining wall in the middle of nowhere prior to the earliest settlement of 3000BC anyway? The Romans had the ability and the reason, the evidence points to Romans and the guys who spend their lives immersed in their history all agree the Romans did it.

That's good enough for me and what's the alternative?

(thanks for the thanks back there in the thread. it's not a lot of fun when bullets start flying at one guy lol )

@Anaximander Thanks also and your point about shifting siege engines is a good one. I don't know how much you enjoy academic history, but there's a great podcast series on the Romans/Byzantines. It's '12 Byzantine Rulers' by Lars Brownworth 12 Byzantine Rulers: The History of the Byzantine Empire It's such an easy and informative listen that I've played it over more than once. Being top in Roman politics was a deadly business. :)

That's what I understood as well. The Romans had built their temple on top of the existing larger stones

Hi Richard, the other two lads have responded to your post, and I know something about this area, so I think I can share some useful knowledge.

Before, i do, I just what to say to Kandinsky, it was never my intention for you to feel like you do! I only raised the matter with you, when your post was a tirade against someone I respect!

Cremo is not here to defend himself, and I think it was right for someone, and just happened to be me, to say something to you!

Hopefully people appreciate what I done?

Finally. I not here to make enemies, and not looking to make Kandinsky hate me? I have gained a few online friends, along the way.

I came here and always will in the future to look for honest and sincere discussion, and when you have a debate you have to be prepared (everyone) that someone will call you out on what you claim!

Richard the Retaining wall is downhill from the quarry, which means logically, the stones most have been bought uphill to the location of construction.

I not sure there was a Temple of Zeus as Zeus was a God of Greek Pantheon, but I read something that there was a holy site or Icon devoted to that God somewhere in Baalbek, I really have to go back and look that up, see you may well be right!

What I can confirm is there is evidence that the Retaining wall was once part of a Fortress, which has long since been in ruins, and the ruins were there before the arrival of the Romans!

Archaeological evidence proves the temples were build on ruins already there, discovery of mounds underneath indicate the place is sacred location.

We have no Ancient records, no matter what anyone say;s of who was there first, but we do have evidence of Human habitation dating back to 2,300 BCE, long and way before the arrival of the Romans. Archaeological digs have proven this, so I not sure Kandinsky theories hold up after careful consideration!

The name Baalbek means Lord Baal, and legends and tales from the region, say the Temple of Baal was build by the Canannite culture or the Phoenician Culture?

How true does legends are is anyones guess, but the Temple of Jupiter was build and constructed over a site already, there previously, anyone who disputes this, is talking out of their ass frankly!

Thanks for the input, Kieran. Not being knowledgable in this area , I appreciate the debate. If the retaining wall is downhill from the quarry, wouldn't that mean the blocks would move down to the site? Does archaeological evidence establish that the trilithons were there before the Romans? The Greeks spread their control at one time to this area and did dedicate the location and build on it, too. That suggests to me that the base, the trilithons may form the foundation for several later temple constructions, including Roman. Perhaps the Roman engineers learned a thing or two trom the site that they incorporated into their succeeding efforts.

Thanks for the input, Kieran. Not being knowledgable in this area , I appreciate the debate. If the retaining wall is downhill from the quarry, wouldn't that mean the blocks would move down to the site? Does archaeological evidence establish that the trilithons were there before the Romans? The Greeks spread their control at one time to this area and did dedicate the location and build on it, too. That suggests to me that the base, the trilithons may form the foundation for several later temple constructions, including Roman. Perhaps the Roman engineers learned a thing or two trom the site that they incorporated into their succeeding efforts.

Hi Richard. The ruins of Baalbek are situated on a Hill overlooking valleys , the ruins are bordered on two sides by the town of Baalbek. When I say the retaining walls are downhill. I mean, and maybe I do need to explain it better. The Temple of Jupiter was build on a platform of stones, that were already there. The old retaining wall and the New retaining wall (a name I give) was necessary due to the sloping nature of the Terrain. These foundations had to be build, otherwise the Temples would have become structurally unsound over time!

There is two quarries in the Area, from which the stones came from, the Largest stones came from the quarry one half mile away, and there was no Roads from the quarry, to the the site complex at Baalbek.

So when I say the Retaining Wall was downhill to explain it more. The stones would have to be dragged up hill the Baalbek ruins are on a hill at sloped angles, the quarry that I speak of, was below the level of the Ruins. The terrain was rough and winding, and like I said above, there was no Roads flat surface to have moved the stones across back then!

Yes Archeological evidence does exist, and I outlined the evidence for why i believe the Trilithons, were there before the Romans arrived. Sometimes I ramble so sorry, if you did not pick up on that Evidence I provided previously.

Here is the Problem with the Baalbeck site. The Romans never once claimed they build the Temples, so we do have a problem Richard. The Romans left no mark no records no stamp (eagle engravings) nothing behind, that the Temples were build for the Gods Jupiter, Mercury, Venus and Bacchus, and no evidence, how they transported large stones when the "Historical Evidence" tells us Roman never successfully moved stones that were near to the 500 ton mark.

Unlike Kandinsky, I back up what I claimed with data and Evidence!

His argument was if the Obelisks were transported from Egypt to Rome, then the Romans could have easily matched this transporting of stones from the quarry to the site at Baalbek. Not true, the Historical records show us Rome never moved stones larger than 500 tons anywhere in their World, they'd occupied. So it is laughable to say now, they'd moved these stones when History tells us something different!

But here is prove beyond any shadow of doubt, the largest of the stones were put in place before the Roman arrival. The Retaining walls is the foundations or Platform, from which all the temples were build and constructed. The top layers contain smaller stones, and the top layers of the walls contain stones that are cut differently, that do have a slightly different shape, and the color of the newer stones is slightly different to the stones below that are closer to the ground.

The Trilithons are below the new top layers of newer stones, which were put in place for the Temples that we see today. If you look and examine closely Photographs of the Trilithon stones, and experts have and I have!

The stones are well-rounded by Erosion and Human Abrasion. The newer blocks rest on the older blocks, it can be seen in a number of Photographs taken, if anyone requires me to post the photos do ask, no problem I will provide?

The geological evidence you could take to the bank and Prove this theory!

The Trilithon stones (again) are much older than the blocks of stones above (why) The extent of erosion seen in the Photos, tells us all, the age could be much older then what Roman historians want us or care to believe. I would say personally, hundreds of not thousands of years more if we are being honest and realistic!

The problem, I guess is, we can't radio carbon-date Stone. So often the oldest sites are dated with very limited information to go by!

What the mainstream, will accept as truth, is just obstructive ignorance! Denying the evidence is never acceptable in a civilized world, like what have we to fear in regards to history, ok it might be slightly, or very different to what we are thought in schools and universities across the planet, but shouldn't we all want the real facts, not these digested facts that are handed to us on a plate?

If evidence turns up in the strata, proving there was a human settlement in an area of significant important great, but often Archaeological digs, turn up no signs of Human settlement , however at Baalbek discoveries found show Evidence of previous settlements. Humans were there before the coming of the Romans, stretching all the way back to time of the Phoenicians Civilization.

I have to go and I wanted to continue, but I have to sign off very soon.

Lastly the Greeks were at Baalbek. Alexander armies were in about that location at various times, and they'd named Balabek Heliopolis . I might come back to this a future time hopefully, and explain the history of the Greeks in that area of the World!

Back