• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Questions For Ben Radford

Angel of Ioren

Friendly Skeptic
Gene just confirmed that Mr. Radford will be on The Paracast in the next few weeks. He is the author of the upcoming book Tracking the Chupacabra: The Vampire Beast in Fact, Fiction and Folklore.

He is also managing editor of the science magazine Skeptical Inquirer and one of the hosts of the podcast Monster Talk.

Please post your questions to him in this thread.

There has been discussion on the forum of having a skeptic on the show and I'm glad that Mr. Radford will be appearing.

I'll start things off.

What got you interested in "monsters" and the paranormal in general?

What is the most outlandish claim that you have ever had to investigate?

I've always found Martin Gardner to be an interesting person. Very much a skeptic on one hand and yet a beleiver in "God" on the other. What does Mr. Radford think of a fellow traveler such as the late Mr. Gardner who can hold the hard line matierialistic view and yet maintain a wonder and even a belief in the soul?

I'd be interested to know his take on Jeff Meldrum's interpretation of apparently consistent anatomical features such as mid tarsal breaks in alleged Bigfoot footprints.
I'd also be interested in his take on the Patterson Gimlin film- Bob Heironimous, the guy who claimed he wore the suit, has changed his story a number of occasions, giving contradictory versions of the details of the suit and so on, which, at best suggests he's an unreliable witness. Could this version of events be a hoax in itself? (I'm on the fence to the veracity of the film, Patterson's story has problems, particularly with regards to the time line of developing the film, but then the Long/Heironimous version has it's problems too).
Should be a good show- I heard him being interviewed on a Bigfoot podcast recently where the hosts were believers and it was a really good conversation, he came over as being both knowledgeable and respectful.

If there's no other takers, I chuck in a few more questions:
If Bigfoot doesn't exist, what are people experiencing? While I'd agree that the image of a hairy forest giant is archetypal and occurs in many different cultures, how could this lead to people seeing something they believe to be Bigfoot?
What does he think of other mystery primates such as the Orang Pendak?

Back