• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Psychic Ability.

T

Tommy Allison

Who knows about testing someone for psychic ability?

I've seen the online stuff, and it's neat and all, but it's not something I would consider real feed back, or indicative of one's abilities.

Anyone interested in some research?

Who knows about testing someone for psychic ability?

I've seen the online stuff, and it's neat and all, but it's not something I would consider real feed back, or indicative of one's abilities.

Anyone interested in some research?

Yes, me. You mean like doing experiments? I've done some before. Not near as much as I'd like. The VAST majority of so called psychics chicken out.

Yes, me. You mean like doing experiments? I've done some before. Not near as much as I'd like. The VAST majority of so called psychics chicken out.

Seriously? Cool.

What kinds of testing have you done? You've been the test taker, or the tester?

Either way, tell me more.

Seriously? Cool.

What kinds of testing have you done? You've been the test taker, or the tester?

Either way, tell me more.

Both. Here's some of it briefly. Much more to say about what I touch on below though.

I've done tests myself where I got a family member to write a word down on a sheet of paper, then seal it and put it away. I then took 3 days to try and sense what the word was. I also tried to dream about what was in the envelope. I did this not because I think I am psychic, but to test claims that we all are. 2 out of 2 times I had possible hits. One time the word was "boob", or "boobie". I had a dream I was at a concert the night I gave my self the suggestion and there was a girl with big boobs rubbing up against me. It wasn't an erotic dream. Again, a possible hit, I'm not saying it was. I would have loved to have dreamt I opened the envelope and read the word boob, but I didn't.

Another time the word was "universe". Everytime I asked myself, and tried to sense what was written, the impression "everything" or, no matter where you point you'll be partially correct came to mind. Again, just a possible hit. I don't recall the word "universe" coming to mind, but everything did. I could see why someone might consider that being close.

I've done Ouija board tests with the subjects blind folded and had it spell out (although with some mispellings) what I was thinking. Some moderate successfull predictions were given I've discussed elsewhere. One prediction that did not come true.

I've done seances with interesting results, too much to go all into right here. It involves strange sounds and sights seeming to manifest.

I've tested people over the net and only two people were possibly legit. One had as many misses than hits though, so I wasn't too impressed. The other person was so accurate I suspected fraud (I may need to give out more details than what follows in order for people to be understanding on why, but for now this will have to do). They mentioned things a hacker could find out, and the "psychic" thought I was a non-believer/disbeliever/debunker and seemed to want to put me in my place. This might have lead someone to be fraudulent. Long story, but they gave me my name, address, stuff you might be able to find out of a phone book, or maybe through some hacking. I hear people can find out a lot of details by merely knowing of your e-mail address. I don't know for sure since I'm not a snoop, or know much about hacking etc.

I want to stress again though that the VAST majority of people claiming to be psychic avoid, make excuses, plainly refuse to do experiments or be tested I've found. It's very hard and rare for me to find anyone willing to do tests. I suspect this is because there's a lot of deluded people out there, and frauds.

Oh yes, and some automatic writing attempts with some possibly interesting results once or twice after one of my best friends committed suicide. Most the time I've experimented with it, I've got nothing significant.

Keep thinking of more. Many evp attempts. 0 successes with that.

I work as a professional psychic. No, I'm not a fake or a cold reader. I don't know if I have a particularly high natural psychic ability, but I've trained what I do have and I learn more every day, so that gets me by. I have a lot of faith in my ability, but I'm not sure I'd want to be part of any of the scientific tests I've heard of, simply because psychic abilities don't work well under pressure or scrutiny.

Psychic abilities are very frequently misunderstood.

Both. Here's some of it briefly. Much more to say about what I touch on below though.

I've done tests myself where I got a family member to write a word down on a sheet of paper, then seal it and put it away. I then took 3 days to try and sense what the word was. I also tried to dream about what was in the envelope. I did this not because I think I am psychic, but to test claims that we all are. 2 out of 2 times I had possible hits. One time the word was "boob", or "boobie". I had a dream I was at a concert the night I gave my self the suggestion and there was a girl with big boobs rubbing up against me. It wasn't an erotic dream. Again, a possible hit, I'm not saying it was. I would have loved to have dreamt I opened the envelope and read the word boob, but I didn't.

Another time the word was "universe". Everytime I asked myself, and tried to sense what was written, the impression "everything" or, no matter where you point you'll be partially correct came to mind. Again, just a possible hit. I don't recall the word "universe" coming to mind, but everything did. I could see why someone might consider that being close.

I've done Ouija board tests with the subjects blind folded and had it spell out (although with some mispellings) what I was thinking. Some moderate successfull predictions were given I've discussed elsewhere. One prediction that did not come true.

I've done seances with interesting results, too much to go all into right here. It involves strange sounds and sights seeming to manifest.

I've tested people over the net and only two people were possibly legit. One had as many misses than hits though, so I wasn't too impressed. The other person was so accurate I suspected fraud (I may need to give out more details than what follows in order for people to be understanding on why, but for now this will have to do). They mentioned things a hacker could find out, and the "psychic" thought I was a non-believer/disbeliever/debunker and seemed to want to put me in my place. This might have lead someone to be fraudulent. Long story, but they gave me my name, address, stuff you might be able to find out of a phone book, or maybe through some hacking. I hear people can find out a lot of details by merely knowing of your e-mail address. I don't know for sure since I'm not a snoop, or know much about hacking etc.

I want to stress again though that the VAST majority of people claiming to be psychic avoid, make excuses, plainly refuse to do experiments or be tested I've found. It's very hard and rare for me to find anyone willing to do tests. I suspect this is because there's a lot of deluded people out there, and frauds.

Oh yes, and some automatic writing attempts with some possibly interesting results once or twice after one of my best friends committed suicide. Most the time I've experimented with it, I've got nothing significant.

Keep thinking of more. Many evp attempts. 0 successes with that.

What is evp?

I would count "boob" and "universe" as hits. Pretty good.

I would like to find a way to demonstrate that psychic abilities are real and do work, but I'm not sure that scientific testing is the best way to detect them.

People at Princeton (PEAR) studied the phenomena for years and came away with the conclusion that psychic ability is apparently real but its accuracy is only slightly greater than chance. But given the right conditions and the right subject matter, the accuracy is much much much higher. I've personally observed this both in myself and with other readers.

I work as a professional psychic. No, I'm not a fake or a cold reader. I don't know if I have a particularly high natural psychic ability, but I've trained what I do have and I learn more every day, so that gets me by. I have a lot of faith in my ability, but I'm not sure I'd want to be part of any of the scientific tests I've heard of, simply because psychic abilities don't work well under pressure or scrutiny.

Psychic abilities are very frequently misunderstood.

Seeing a psychic that refuses testing is like going to a Doctor without a degree. I think you owe it to the people you take money from to test yourself and not rely on "faith" of your abilities. Just my opinion of course.

What is evp?

I would count "boob" and "universe" as hits. Pretty good.

I would like to find a way to demonstrate that psychic abilities are real and do work, but I'm not sure that scientific testing is the best way to detect them.

People at Princeton (PEAR) studied the phenomena for years and came away with the conclusion that psychic ability is apparently real but its accuracy is only slightly greater than chance. But given the right conditions and the right subject matter, the accuracy is much much much higher. I've personally observed this both in myself and with other readers.

Evp
Wikimedia Error

If you know a better way to test psychic abilities than the scientific one, I'm all ears and eyes.

Seeing a psychic that refuses testing is like going to a Doctor without a degree. I think you owe it to the people you take money from to test yourself and not rely on "faith" of your abilities. Just my opinion of course.

There's no faith involved. The testing doesn't happen in a lab, but it's there. Some of the work I do is out of a store, and obviously the stores test you before they hire you, so there was that as well.

My clients are usually very skeptical of readers and informally test a reader before they'll give one the time of day. And certainly if the reader isn't accurate, they don't return.

I've no experience in designing tests for ESP but I'm interested in the idea of telepathy and I would be willing to take part in any research that I thought was sensible enough.

I've been wondering about the possibility of telepathy for a long time and one thing I've learned stands out: If telepathy does exist then it is easily an elusive ability. Sometimes it seems to work reasonably well or better and other times it seems to fail completely. This could easily indicate that telepathy does not exist but with matters to do with the brain things are often not as predictable or reliable as one would prefer.

Hey there.

This is what the Independent Investigations Group does on a fairly regular basis. If you are interested in testing for our Paranormal Challenge we can do that or if you are interested in testing for testing's sake then we can do that as well.

BTW, when we do telepathy tests, like the one you mentioned, we always make sure to use simple words with no other definitions or words that have similar definitions in order to prevent the grey area of hit interpretation that you described. For example, "boob" would never be used as a test word. Here are some of the words that we used in the test of Achau Nguyen for the Paranormal Challenge in which he got 0 out of 20 words correct: vanilla, ovary, left, Roosevelt, penguin, Berlin, insincere.

Feel free to PM me or email [email protected] if you want to talk about setting up a test for psychic abilities.

One thing. We only administer the tests in Los Angeles, California. If you live in another state we could probably help find someone locally to set up a test. The difference being that if you did not do the test in LA then the results would not be eligible for our $50,000 Paranormal Challenge.

-Derek

Hey there.

This is what the Independent Investigations Group does on a fairly regular basis. If you are interested in testing for our Paranormal Challenge we can do that or if you are interested in testing for testing's sake then we can do that as well.

BTW, when we do telepathy tests, like the one you mentioned, we always make sure to use simple words with no other definitions or words that have similar definitions in order to prevent the grey area of hit interpretation that you described. For example, "boob" would never be used as a test word. Here are some of the words that we used in the test of Achau Nguyen for the Paranormal Challenge in which he got 0 out of 20 words correct: vanilla, ovary, left, Roosevelt, penguin, Berlin, insincere.

Feel free to PM me or email [email protected] if you want to talk about setting up a test for psychic abilities.

One thing. We only administer the tests in Los Angeles, California. If you live in another state we could probably help find someone locally to set up a test. The difference being that if you did not do the test in LA then the results would not be eligible for our $50,000 Paranormal Challenge.

-Derek

lol, yeah, my parameters were loose. I told the person who came up with the word to make it not about music/art or a family member. I said this because that is what I guessed this person would do. Pick a word/name of a person or song, artist etc. After the boob experiment I think I asked for it to not be funny, along with the previous parameters.

I don't view myself as a talented psychic, so I wouldn't want to waste your time. I'm more interested in testing others than myself. But if the day ever comes where I do consider myself good, I'll let you know.

I'm curious why you won't allow for the person to do it over the computer? Fear possible leaks from your team?

Some of these words would be just about impossible to get. For most people, psychic information shows up in the form of imagery or impressions. There's no image or symbol that I know of that can express a concept like "left" or "insincere."

If you can find a psychic who can pass this test, you've found someone with abilities so rare and extraordinary that I would say they are almost no longer psychic, they're something else. Wasn't there a woman in Russia who could move matchsticks with her mind? And, if so, good for her, but so what? What do any of these abilities mean about humanity if they are rare and out of reach? Matchstick Lady has no plans to become a superhero, so far as I know.

Psychic ability is a normal part of the human psyche, which is some of what, from my perspective, I feel you guys are missing. You think you're looking for something extraordinary, someone with some magic ability. And maybe that exists, somewhere. But I find it profoundly uninteresting.

What is more interesting to me is the latent power within every human being that happens to be almost totally ignored and undeveloped in this culture. And this power obviously exists, in the same way that it seems apparent that UFOs and ghosts exist on some level. These things appear in every culture in some form throughout history. Reputable, sane, insightful, intelligent people report experiences with these things, but science has failed and continues to fail to pin down any of these things in a scientifically understandable way. This does not mean they don't exist! What madness it is to think so. My memory of Shakespeare is not that great, but wasn't Hamlet crazy when he was going on about "to be or not to be"? The scientific method is not the only valid way to understand reality. It just isn't.

Figuring out what psychic ability is, how to use it, and how to bring it out -- these, to me, are the interesting questions. And if you look into the field, you will see that people have made significant and fascinating progress studying these topics. Usually, they are not wearing lab coats, but we're all gonna have to get over that.

I came out as a psychic here in part because there is so much misunderstanding about psychic abilities. The psychic part of my life is intensely personal, in some ways more personal than anything else, so it's hard to talk about, on both a verbal and an emotional level. It's particularly hard to talk about in an environment where people tend to assume I'm a scam artist. But I can deal.

From my perspective, I feel like some of you are missing the forest for the trees. I don't think I've done a good job yet explicating what I want to say. Figuring out how to say what needs to be said on this topic is going to have to be, at best, a journey for me.

I'm curious why you won't allow for the person to do it over the computer? Fear possible leaks from your team?

For a Preliminary Demonstration we might allow that, but you always want to limit sensory leakage when testing paranormal abilities.

-Derek

Some of these words would be just about impossible to get. For most people, psychic information shows up in the form of imagery or impressions. There's no image or symbol that I know of that can express a concept like "left" or "insincere."

If you can find a psychic who can pass this test, you've found someone with abilities so rare and extraordinary that I would say they are almost no longer psychic, they're something else. Wasn't there a woman in Russia who could move matchsticks with her mind? And, if so, good for her, but so what? What do any of these abilities mean about humanity if they are rare and out of reach? Matchstick Lady has no plans to become a superhero, so far as I know.

Psychic ability is a normal part of the human psyche, which is some of what, from my perspective, I feel you guys are missing. You think you're looking for something extraordinary, someone with some magic ability. And maybe that exists, somewhere. But I find it profoundly uninteresting.

What is more interesting to me is the latent power within every human being that happens to be almost totally ignored and undeveloped in this culture. And this power obviously exists, in the same way that it seems apparent that UFOs and ghosts exist on some level. These things appear in every culture in some form throughout history. Reputable, sane, insightful, intelligent people report experiences with these things, but science has failed and continues to fail to pin down any of these things in a scientifically understandable way. This does not mean they don't exist! What madness it is to think so. My memory of Shakespeare is not that great, but wasn't Hamlet crazy when he was going on about "to be or not to be"? The scientific method is not the only valid way to understand reality. It just isn't.

Figuring out what psychic ability is, how to use it, and how to bring it out -- these, to me, are the interesting questions. And if you look into the field, you will see that people have made significant and fascinating progress studying these topics. Usually, they are not wearing lab coats, but we're all gonna have to get over that.

I came out as a psychic here in part because there is so much misunderstanding about psychic abilities. The psychic part of my life is intensely personal, in some ways more personal than anything else, so it's hard to talk about, on both a verbal and an emotional level. It's particularly hard to talk about in an environment where people tend to assume I'm a scam artist. But I can deal.

From my perspective, I feel like some of you are missing the forest for the trees. I don't think I've done a good job yet explicating what I want to say. Figuring out how to say what needs to be said on this topic is going to have to be, at best, a journey for me.

Herein lies some of the problems with alleged psychic abilities. When a psychic initially contacts us they usually say that they are 100% accurate, but when we start to explain what it means to be accurate they start to back away. There are many forms of alleged psychic abilities. For this discussion we are specifically talking about telepathy, the ability to read another person's mind without seeing the other person. If you can read someone's mind then you should be able to be exact and not only be able to pick up imagery or impressions. That is not telepathy. That is intuition/guessing and there is nothing paranormal about that.

I believe the "Russian Matchstick Lady" you are referring to is Nina Kulagina. Her abilities have never been properly tested and people familiar with stage magic tricks have examined her videos and have been able to reproduce them using sleight of hand tricks: http://www.cicap.org/new/articolo.php?id=101003

This week's edition of Revision 3' Scam School is actually about how to do one of Nina Kulagina's "telekinesis" tricks:
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://revision3.com/player-v2534" allowfullscreen="true" width="555" height="312" />

Humans are very good at pattern recognition and this ability is one of the primary reasons many people believe in psychic abilities. However, when these abilities are properly tested they are found to not exist or to only exist within the range of chance.

Here is a copy of the IIG's Psychic Cheat Sheet that we had out to audiences in line to see a psychic's performance. These are things to be aware of when visiting any person claiming to be psychic. This one was specifically adapted for Sylvia Browne:

A Note about Sylvia Browne’s Powers…
Is she genuine? Here are some simple helpful hints for evaluating Sylvia’s performance today:
1. Demand Specifics. Mary is not Margaret, Marie, or Maria.
2. Count the Missed Guesses. The wrong guesses will greatly outnumber the few lucky guesses.
3. Beware of Generalities. Most people in a given culture experience fairly similar lives, making it easy to guess.
4. Be Conscious of Giving Information When Being Read. When Sylvia asks questions, the person being read is giving the answers, not her.
5. Watch for a Shift in Direction. Does Sylvia suddenly jump to another subject when she makes a wrong guess?
6. Ask for Last Names. Everyone knows a John, a Mike, a Sue, a Mary or a Pat – that’s not impressive.
7. Don’t React! Psychics like Sylvia use visual feedback to tell if they’re on the right track. If they’re really psychic, you shouldn’t need to help them along.
8. Who, Specifically, is the Guess Aimed at? A guess directed at couples or groups guarantees many more “hits”.
9. Remember Why People Go to Psychics. Psychics are like police stations, psychiatry offices and hospitals – most people go to them because of a problem. Love, money, job, health, grief are the most common reasons and are easy guesses.
The Independent Investigations Group is interested in how well Sylvia does at her appearances, because she refuses to demonstrate her abilities to skeptics. We welcome any feedback to [email protected]. Visit Independent Investigations Group and http://www.CSICOP.org for more information on psychics and psychic phenomenon.

Even if many people believe something to be true does not make that thing true. The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence" and this is the hardest thing for believers in whatever form of paranormal ability to understand. If an ability disappears the moment it is to be properly tested it means that this power obviously does not exist.

Please keep in mind that the Independent Investigations Group WANTS to scientifically verify some form of paranormal ability. It would be one of the greatest achievements in science and would guarantee someone a Nobel prize. However, no matter how much we want something to be true we will not relax the scientific controls necessary to prove something to be true.

-Derek

Hey there.

-Derek

I'm not a psychic, but there are days when I wonder. I'm not interested in money. I am simply interested in the experience of being tested, and what real results I can get.

If it was about money, I'd have picked the lottery numbers. Wait... If I was psychic, I should have been able to pick them. Damn.

If you can read someone's mind then you should be able to be exact and not only be able to pick up imagery or impressions.

I'm sorry, but this statement is utterly ridiculous.

The mind is not exact. So how can you be exact when you're reading it?

What is in someone's mind other than imagery, impressions, maybe a few scattered words and phrases? The mind is primarily imagistic, non-verbal, non-linear, and ever-changing.

Even if the person whose mind you are trying to read is concentrating on sending you a specific word (as opposed to, god forbid, an image), chances are that they can't focus on that word for more than a few seconds at a time.

If you guys are so scientifically-minded, you should be able to build me a flying car.

I believe the "Russian Matchstick Lady" you are referring to is Nina Kulagina. Her abilities have never been properly tested and people familiar with stage magic tricks have examined her videos and have been able to reproduce them using sleight of hand tricks: http://www.cicap.org/new/articolo.php?id=101003

Interesting. I didn't know this.

A Note about Sylvia Browne’s Powers…

Well, Sylvia Browne sucks.

If I only used the example of Dr. Kevorkian, it would make medicine look like a pretty piss-poor field as well.

I'm not trying to make this into a "science vs psychics" thing. I'm simply pointing out the flaws in your arguments by flipping them around the other way.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence" and this is the hardest thing for believers in whatever form of paranormal ability to understand.

Maybe it's hard to understand because it simply isn't true? There are plenty of legitimate fields in which researchers go around collecting lots and lots of "anecdotes" which they then analyze statistically or in some other way. About the only field where "anecdotes" aren't accepted as some form of data is Holocaust denial. (And debunkerism.)

If an ability disappears the moment it is to be properly tested it means that this power obviously does not exist.

This is also a logically flawed statement. If an ability disappears the moment it is to be "properly tested," it only means that it disappeared. It's suggestive evidence, of course, but it doesn't prove anything. Correlation is not causation. Failing to detect something does not mean it doesn't exist.

Please keep in mind that the Independent Investigations Group WANTS to scientifically verify some form of paranormal ability.

Shouldn't a good scientist not be invested in the outcome of her experiment, either way?

I'm not a psychic, but there are days when I wonder. I'm not interested in money. I am simply interested in the experience of being tested, and what real results I can get.

If it was about money, I'd have picked the lottery numbers. Wait... If I was psychic, I should have been able to pick them. Damn.

I know you're being facetious, but one logical fallacy that I see everywhere is the one you repeat above -- If psychic ability were real, you should be able to do absolutely anything with it. If your psychic ability cannot make you omniscient/omnipotent, then it therefore isn't real.

That's akin to me saying that if you can't paint a photorealistic portrait, your artistic ability doesn't exist. It's a strawman argument.

Most people who've studied psychic phenomena have noticed that psychic ability is closely related to -- but not the same as -- creative abilities. People who are good at one tend to be good at the other. I would suggest checking out a book by Debra Lynne Katz. She writes well about what psychic abilities are, how to develop them, and how to test them for yourself.

I know you're being facetious, but one logical fallacy that I see everywhere is the one you repeat above -- If psychic ability were real, you should be able to do absolutely anything with it. If your psychic ability cannot make you omniscient/omnipotent, then it therefore isn't real.

That's akin to me saying that if you can't paint a photorealistic portrait, your artistic ability doesn't exist. It's a strawman argument.

Most people who've studied psychic phenomena have noticed that psychic ability is closely related to -- but not the same as -- creative abilities. People who are good at one tend to be good at the other. I would suggest checking out a book by Debra Lynne Katz. She writes well about what psychic abilities are, how to develop them, and how to test them for yourself.

It doesn't take a psychic to see that you're very defensive about this.
Then again, if I had been serious about my comment, I would have said simply that I think you're full of shit, and are another poseur like oh so many other psychic frauds in the mainstream.

Psychic ability can be quantified. Like any other talent, or skill, you should be able to demonstrate something of that ability on command, otherwise it's not a skill. it's blind luck, or happenstance.

As an artist and a creative person, I have to be able to turn it on and off, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it as a job. As a psychic, you can't just be struck with it, you have to be able to do something with it. Otherwise you're not a psychic, you're just someone who from time to time gets a glimpse beyond the curtain.

The reason why I am interested in testing, is to see whether or not I have any real gift in that regard. If So, then I plan to develop it into something more. It won't be my new profession, but will definitely be interesting to use further on down the road when I need it.

At any rate, whatever testing I receive, I plan to keep it to myself. Heaven knows I can embarass myself without having to resort to pretending to be psychic if I'm not.

It doesn't take a psychic to see that you're very defensive about this.
Then again, if I had been serious about my comment, I would have said simply that I think you're full of shit, and are another poseur like oh so many other psychic frauds in the mainstream.

Wow. I don't know what to say to this.

Psychic ability can be quantified. Like any other talent, or skill, you should be able to demonstrate something of that ability on command, otherwise it's not a skill. it's blind luck, or happenstance.

As an artist and a creative person, I have to be able to turn it on and off, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it as a job. As a psychic, you can't just be struck with it, you have to be able to do something with it. Otherwise you're not a psychic, you're just someone who from time to time gets a glimpse beyond the curtain.

We're in complete agreement on this.

The reason why I am interested in testing, is to see whether or not I have any real gift in that regard. If So, then I plan to develop it into something more. It won't be my new profession, but will definitely be interesting to use further on down the road when I need it.

At any rate, whatever testing I receive, I plan to keep it to myself. Heaven knows I can embarass myself without having to resort to pretending to be psychic if I'm not.

Good luck. As someone who works in the field, I was trying to suggest ways that you might be able to quantify your psychic ability and possibly develop it. But you didn't ask for my advice and I'm sure you will find what works best for you.

Back