• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

"Proof of God"

Chocolate is proof that there is a God. Do you think that Chocolate just happened by chance? Of all the planets in the universe God chose to put all the chocolate in the universe here.

God doesn't make you wait an eternity for a Chocolate Bar. You can get Chocolate everywhere on this planet thanks to God.

Kind of like working for your own reward. I think that's what God, and the rest of humanity wants for every person on this planet. Become something more than you are, and become something better.
I clicked it off too soon, and had to catch the summation.

I see that he actually believes in God. Just felt the need to beat a dead horse to get to the point. Some people don't need to be convinced, they've lived long enough, and been able to think for themselves for a long time.

I believe in a God. I just don't believe that God gave us a book full of contradictions and lies to live by. Any book that tells you to be servile to another human being, isn't anything more than a means of control.

Control is what certain people want. If you had the power to absolve people of their sins, and promise them heaven when they died, you'd have a lot of power over a lot of people.

King James had the bible re-written with a lot of that sort of thing in it. Serve your masters, pay tithe and tribute to kings and churches. The God I believe in doesn't need money, nor does he need giant houses for his worshippers to congregate.

That's how you know it's a scam. An all powerful, all seeing, all knowing God would have no use for money. All that is required is faith and goodness.

Proof of the existence/non-existence of god is simply impossible for us to achieve by definition alone. It's like an amoeba trying to understand algebra- it ain't happening!

Yawn. Even if you can prove the existence of intelligence (seemingly) prior to all things, why would you then leap to the conclusion that it is the male creator in the stories of the bible you were raised to believe in? Why would you even conclude that the creator can be separated from the creation?

If there is a formless, spaceless, timeless intelligence creating everything, then really breaking this action of creating into its component parts is merely for convenience, to be able to verbalize it coherently. But that doesn't mean there are these parts. Creator creating creation is one seamless act. How can the creation split off from the creator on this ultimate level? Formless, timeless intelligence has no choice, no divisive act. It emanates all and within those emanations come time, form, space, free will, etc.

Sigh

Not sure about an over-arching intelligence (I believe there is one), but our direct 'Gods' really are 'aliens' (whatever that means). At this point Im convinced of it.

I was thinking about something yesterday: Do you guys think its significant that the gap between the most intelligent species and the next is SO big? Surely if evolution had had its way naturally there would be a more organic curve? I know people say dolphins are smart but clearly theyre no where near our level.

I just think its seems a little suspect that suddenly you have this one species that is exponentially more intelligent than everything else.

NOTE: no jokes about humans being dumb ie. wars and everything. We may do stupid things but we also invent stuff like a device that display mental images on an artificial screen.

Who could argue with such bullet-proof logic? 6,000 years...hmmm. That's how they they built the pyramids. Dinosaurs moved those big rocks.

Not sure about an over-arching intelligence (I believe there is one), but our direct 'Gods' really are 'aliens' (whatever that means). At this point Im convinced of it.

I was thinking about something yesterday: Do you guys think its significant that the gap between the most intelligent species and the next is SO big? Surely if evolution had had its way naturally there would be a more organic curve? I know people say dolphins are smart but clearly theyre no where near our level.

I just think its seems a little suspect that suddenly you have this one species that is exponentially more intelligent than everything else.

I pretty much agree with Gaeth. I also noticed that we appear to be the only species to evolve with no natural physical defenses (besides Anti-Bodies and stuff like that) against predators. I mean if a badger out in the wild wanted to kick someones ass it probably could. I mean we may be able to think our way out of a situation if given time. But we really can't outrun anything, except maybe a furious turtle or pissed off snail. Our skin, bones, eyes are all toast if attacked.

I mean we have evolved some. I believe at a certain stage we were pushed along about a billion years.

I pretty much agree with Gaeth. I also noticed that we appear to be the only species to evolve with no natural physical defenses (besides Anti-Bodies and stuff like that) against predators. I mean if a badger out in the wild wanted to kick someones ass it probably could. I mean we may be able to think our way out of a situation if given time. But we really can't outrun anything, except maybe a furious turtle or pissed off snail. Our skin, bones, eyes are all toast if attacked.

That's somewhat of a contrary opinion given our dominance of the planet. Intelligence IS our defence. We can't kill a tiger but we can build a spear (and then a bow and then a gun and now a laser) that CAN.

The question is "where did that intelligence come from"? The answer of course, is 42.

I believe in a God. I just don't believe that God gave us a book full of contradictions and lies to live by. Any book that tells you to be servile to another human being, isn't anything more than a means of control.

Control is what certain people want. If you had the power to absolve people of their sins, and promise them heaven when they died, you'd have a lot of power over a lot of people.

King James had the bible re-written with a lot of that sort of thing in it. Serve your masters, pay tithe and tribute to kings and churches. The God I believe in doesn't need money, nor does he need giant houses for his worshippers to congregate.

That's how you know it's a scam. An all powerful, all seeing, all knowing God would have no use for money. All that is required is faith and goodness.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

That's somewhat of a contrary opinion given our dominance of the planet. Intelligence IS our defence. We can't kill a tiger but we can build a spear (and then a bow and then a gun and now a laser) that CAN.

The question is "where did that intelligence come from"? The answer of course, is 42.

If given the time to build a spear we could have gotten in our land rover and drove away. I'm talking immediate defense. We can't really outrun or defend ourselves if attacked. We can't really fight back, can't scale a tree, Can't bite or tear flesh with our teeth. The spear we make is probably just gonna amplify our ass kicking from the monstrosity we just poked with it.

I also must disagree that we dominate this planet. We THINK we dominate , its just human arrogance. If some other creatures on this planet decided to dominate, we would be in for a hell of a fight.

If given the time to build a spear we could have gotten in our land rover and drove away. I'm talking immediate defense. We can't really outrun or defend ourselves if attacked. We can't really fight back, can't scale a tree, Can't bite or tear flesh with our teeth. The spear we make is probably just gonna amplify our ass kicking from the monstrosity we just poked with it.

Well there's group activity to consider as well. One-on-one we're dead meat when thrown up against just about anything even half our size. In groups however we brought down mastadons with pointy sticks. I find that impressive.

I also must disagree that we dominate this planet. We THINK we dominate, its just human arrogance. If some other creatures on this planet decided to dominate, we would be in for a hell of a fight.

I don't mean dominate in a control way (insects have us beat there by 10 zillion percent) I mean in a damage way. We have weapons that can ignite the atmosphere and incinerate the planet killing EVERYTHING. Aside from that, there are almost no places on earth we cannot go if properly equipped. From Everest to the Marianas, nowhere is safe from us.

That's dominance but at no point is I say it was a good thing...

ok yeah lets clear this up..most of the books in the bible have been proved wrong and also its more likely the universe was created by chance i mean really who honestly believes that the universe is 5000 years old...ITS NOT its actually 4.6 billion years old ..also if adam and eve were the first people on earth what about the dinosaurs? its scientific fact dinosaurs came before humans does ur 'GOD' have an answer for that..god i hate religious morons its called common sense use it

ok yeah lets clear this up..most of the books in the bible have been proved wrong and also its more likely the universe was created by chance i mean really who honestly believes that the universe is 5000 years old...ITS NOT its actually 4.6 billion years old ..also if adam and eve were the first people on earth what about the dinosaurs? its scientific fact dinosaurs came before humans does ur 'GOD' have an answer for that..god i hate religious morons its called common sense use it

You're as wrong as you are right. Assuming I know.

The chance bit... How did you determine this?

Actually archeology has proven the opposite. Many of the old testament cities, King Solomons fortified walls ( In three cities), and maybe even Sodom, Gomorah and lots cave have been uncovered (One of them was even destroyed by fire!!) .

ok yeah lets clear this up..most of the books in the bible have been proved wrong

You can't prove an alagory "wrong"... and geo-politically speaking, the Bible is quite accurate.

also its more likely the universe was created by chance i mean really who honestly believes that the universe is 5000 years old...ITS NOT its actually 4.6 billion years old

Sigh... okay first off, we have no understanding of how the universe was created and never will because anything prior to the existence of the universe can't be studied. Second, they believe it's 6000 years old. Third, the EARTH is roughly 4.6 billion years old, the UNIVERSE is approximately 15 billion years old. Let's try and keep it straight.

also if adam and eve were the first people on earth what about the dinosaurs? its scientific fact dinosaurs came before humans does ur 'GOD' have an answer for that..

Yes, "The devil put fossils in the ground to test our faith." No really, some people will actually say that to you. With a straight face.

god i hate religious morons its called common sense use it

Occum's Razor will only get you so far. Remember today's scientific fact is tomorrow's junk science (eg. earth flat >>> earth round).

And learn to type, would ya? This is a message board, not a text service, no one's charging you by the letter.

Sigh... okay first off, we have no understanding of how the universe was created and never will because anything prior to the existence of the universe can't be studied. Second, they believe it's 6000 years old. Third, the EARTH is roughly 4.6 billion years old, the UNIVERSE is approximately 15 billion years old. Let's try and keep it straight.

LOL man I just let that dudes whole post go. You know I love my religion beat downs but I read what he wrote and just sighed, shrugged my shoulders and threw in a few factoids. Why even bother sometimes :p

Back