• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Prometheus

DId you like Prometheus?

• Yes, worthy of Aliens franchise.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No, Did Giorgio A. Tsoukalos write this crap?

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • It was ok, still not better than Over the Top.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Fine as a stand alone movie, it didn't even need to be part of Alien mythos.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I haven't seen it, and will wait for the Blu-ray or just not bother.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Snidely Whiplash

Paranormal Maven
Earlier in the week my brother and father and I went and seen Prometheus. I have to say I thought it was rocking both titties! I wanted to see what the rest of my fellow Paracasters thought about the movie?

I went and saw it on the ninth and liked it. It wasn't as action-oriented as I expected but that's probably a good thing. Some critics have been complaining about questions being left unanswered but the impression I got is that a sequel is coming... and that's fine by me.

It does have some flaws: Imo Pearce's makeup looks ridiculous (Why not cast a real old guy instead?), Theron's character is underwritten and uninteresting, and exactly how does a guy responsible for mapping out a tunnel system get lost in those same tunnels? But I feel the good outweighs the bad... Fassbender being the coolest robot in the series so far and Rapace's character being a worthy successor to Ripley to name just a few strong points.

After Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, and the Alien vs Predator movies Prometheus is a blessing.

I so badly want to watch it...short of pirating crappy copies, I guess I have to wait. Big 'Alien' (even more so Giger) fan here, but that's not what I'm expecting from this. I've read mixed reviews, which makes me even
more want to watch it.

Note to big studio execs in Hollywood: Release your shit timely in other countries as well, thanks.

I took my wife to see it and we both really enjoyed it....... but I still have some nagging doubts about it. It's a great sci fi film, but not a great Ridley Scott film... I agree with Sean re Guy Pearce... why not just cast an old man..... Fassbender was fantastically creepy and you got the feeling that a sequel is in the pipeline but on the whole a good film.

Great standalone movie but unless I am really stupid, it's quite hard to work out exactly how it fits into the previously created Alien universe.

SPOILER ALERT!!

The engineers initially have this ship with some bio-weapon that mutates DNA and initially causes the evolutionary (speeded up) chain that ends up in the Alien creatures we know.

We know one of these engineer ships was headed to earth with this weapon. But where does the engineer from Alien, the one on the pilots seat with the 'rib cage' exploded, fit in? Why is he on another planet with a pile of these eggs? (which look set out the same as the bio-weapon containers WTF?)

Someone wanna trade working theories? Cos I got a bit lost, I don't mind admitting. Good film tho? Yes.

We know one of these engineer ships was headed to earth with this weapon. But where does the engineer from Alien, the one on the pilots seat with the 'rib cage' exploded, fit in? Why is he on another planet with a pile of these eggs? (which look set out the same as the bio-weapon containers WTF?)

Someone wanna trade working theories?
Perhaps he was sent to infect another planet that they "engineered". David said at the end of the movie there was more ships perhaps this Jockey was able to escape toward another earth like planet.
Also concerning Ash, I think that David was definately a homage toward Ash but I wouldn't say he was a carbon copy. Both were great performances, I think we can both agree on that.

The performances, sure. In fact, David far more weirdly scary than Ash in my book and of course it is known in this movie he is not human, unlike Ash. Guy Pearce? Well not many actors would want that part, considering the others - I don't know what he is doing there!

I realise we can debate plots til the cows come home but if the original Alien 'horseshoe' craft was sent on such a mission, then where are the weapons? It looks to me like a queen-sized alien layed all the eggs, of which one infected John Hurt.

I'd pay to have sat in on the meetings held to discuss the plot of the movie - Ridley Scott cannot be unaware of the indefinite nature of the plot. It's almost like they decided to fuck with us?

In reply to Snidely HAL is by far the creepiest. But the Fassbender/ Holm debate..... David clearly knew what he was but I always got the feeling that Ash was not aware of what he was until Parker took his head off - one of the best plot twists ever - and the crew had to rewire him.... he also gives one of the best monologues by a villain.....
Ash: Bring back life form, priority one. All other priorities rescinded.
Parker: That's a damned Company. What about our lives, you son-of-a-bitch?
Ash: I repeat. All other priorities rescinded.
Ripley: How do we kill it, Ash? There's gotta be a way of killing it. How, how do we do it?
Ash: You can't.
Parker: Bulls--t!
Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? A perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.
Lambert: You admire it.
Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Parker: Look, I've, I've heard enough of this and I'm asking you to pull the plug. (Ripley reaches forward to silence him)
Ash: Last word. I can't lie to you about your chances, but... (he cruelly smirks at them) you have my sympathies.

A question: having not yet seen it but heard some synopsis and read some reviews, was scott being disingenuous when he kept talking about prometheus having alien's "dna"? I heard about what noomi had to do to herself, that sounds like more than just "dna"

so in Alien they find the space jockey sat in the driving seat thing. but in Promethea dude goes on a killing spree gets eaten by squidward tentacles.

well, not exactly. What you do see is alot of cool nods to some classic sci-fi images from various artists pus all that Giger lovelyness. you see a technically perfect if not a a little plot lite sci-fi film that has all the believeable accuracy of a ridley scott film. There is some excellent cinematography. And your left with some questions.

Great standalone movie but unless I am really stupid, it's quite hard to work out exactly how it fits into the previously created Alien universe.

SPOILER ALERT!!

The engineers initially have this ship with some bio-weapon that mutates DNA and initially causes the evolutionary (speeded up) chain that ends up in the Alien creatures we know.

Someone wanna trade working theories? Cos I got a bit lost, I don't mind admitting. Good film tho? Yes.
SPOILER ALERT!!The engineer ship is a bomber. The stone vial things are the bombs which contain the bio weapon. At the beginning the engineer dude is on a earth. He is wearing a monk like cowl and he looks up to see a spacecraft. This makes me think he may be not he same as the other engineers could possibly be abandoned or sought. He could be doing this all on purpose, creating life rather than killing it. He "kills himself" (the crucifixation symbol runs hrough out the film) by drinking the bio weapon he then falls into the water and inadvertently creates human life. dunno why they want to send the bio weapon ship to earth to either breed-colonize and create hybrids or wipe out humans who are their mistake/accident or threat.

The xenomorph breed with the engineers and become the alien that we are used to. This alludes to the possibility that enigineers( or maybe another species using the engineers) create the hybrids needed for further bioweapon diversity á la Alien chestburster/engineer type by the combination of these two species, engineer xenomorph as shown at the end. Its as if they have that particular creation of the xenomorph, that hybrid with its eggs and now theyre gong to drop these buggers on their enemy.but they never make it that far. Thats when the Nostromo picks it up at the beginning of Alien.

I thought the engineer who drunk the liquid was on his home planet and was stupidly testing the stuff. It looked to me like he made a big mistake and did not know what was about to happen to him. Was there a definitive way to tell that he was on earth? I quite possibly missed that reference.

I like and can see your interpretation, thing is, I've heard a couple of other variations and they are equally good and make equal sense (or lack thereof). I am willing to admit I've missed a few pointers as to what is fully happening but the bits I know I understand can be interpreted a little differently. Not that it matters really, movies can and do leave questions unanswered but if I'm honest, I'm one of those people who were hoping for a no-questions remaining prequel explanation to things pre-Alien and maybe it's to the credit of those who wrote the movie - they maybe did not need to provide such a perfect backstory, it's just me being selfish and greedy wanting it!
Oh well, that's maybe just me but I still loved the movie, I have recommended it to people and it's of course one of those films you absolutely know that you will enjoy watching it again and not every film holds that honour.

WoW ! Just reading all these comments makes me think ridley better have another non-prequel in mind. It kind of sounds that it's open to multiple interpretations which isn't too surprising because I know that Damien lindhoff had his hands in this. He (damien) does acknowledge he likes ambiguity in scripts and still gets his chops busted by fans of the series lost. I was one and I felt the ending was a cop out, except for the scene of jack's death where he returned to die in the same place where he first woke up in the first show. That was a nice touch.

Back