• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Politics

Considering the questionable reputation of Epoch Times, I have no interest. I don't have enough time to chase down rabbit holes, even if some things they post might be factual.

Considering the questionable reputation of Epoch Times, I have no interest. I don't have enough time to chase down rabbit holes, even if some things they post might be factual.
You don't have to chase anything. I find these stories interesting. If you don't, that's okay. I'm pretty good at telling where the spin in the news media is coming from, and they ALL have one.

Last edited:

Florida Governor DeSantis to Penalize Big Tech Companies for Unlawful Practices​

"Under the new measure from the Florida legislature, the technology companies that de-platform a candidate during an election will face a daily fine of $100,000 until the candidate’s access to the platform is restored."
So much for freedom of speech. DeSantis is predictable.

They have Terms of Service, as we do, and Trump violated them repeatedly. In the U.S., a freedom of speech doesn't prohibit private companies from having their own sets of rules. Again, as we do.

They have Terms of Service, as we do, and Trump violated them repeatedly. In the U.S., a freedom of speech doesn't prohibit private companies from having their own sets of rules. Again, as we do.
DeSantis is a fascist. I'm wondering if the epochtimes has always been a venue of radical right propaganda? I recall seeing interesting material there in the past concerning anomalies of a nonpolitical nature.

More seriously, indeed gravely, see this from CNN:

"More than 100 bills that would restrict voting are moving through state legislatures"

By Kelly Mena, CNN

Updated 6:05 PM ET, Tue February 2, 2021

More than 100 bills that would restrict voting are moving through state legislatures

I can tell you without looking that the Florida Legislature has bills like this in the queue for the upcoming session. I was a legislative editor for the Florida Senate for the last 15 years of my working life and saw the kinds of 'model bills' submitted from an association of Republican state legislators meeting yearly during those years, and no doubt since, to seed the state legislatures with rightwing fodder.

DeSantis is a fascist. I'm wondering if the epochtimes has always been a venue of radical right propaganda? I recall seeing interesting material there in the past concerning anomalies of a nonpolitical nature.
The Epoch Times is openly anti-communist, particularly against the CCP ( which is fine with me ), and as such, it has been demonized as a right-wing propaganda tool by reporters both inside China and CCP agents inside journalism outside China. So the thing to do isn't necessarily to assume that their reporting actually is "right wing propaganda" but to read the material and decide for yourself what it means to you.

No doubt you will notice an anti-communist bias, but the stories themselves are often quite interesting, because whether or not you agree with them, they give you a perspective that helps to see a wider picture. I find many of them to be very good, and far more interesting than much of the boring sanitized news we get from other sources. @Gene Steinberg also helps to bring some balance to the issues, which adds value to this thread.

The Epoch Times is openly anti-communist, particularly against the CCP ( which is fine with me ), and as such, it has been demonized as a right-wing propaganda tool by reporters both inside China and CCP agents inside journalism outside China. So the thing to do isn't necessarily to assume that their reporting actually is "right wing propaganda" but to read the material and decide for yourself what it means to you.

So you still perceive a Cold-War style 'Red Menace' threatening the 'American Way of Life' these days? Most of the world, including Russia and China, has long since adopted and enthusiastically engaged in Global Capitalism. What persuades you that you have to fear 'Communism' in your country or ours?

So you still perceive a Cold-War style 'Red Menace' threatening the 'American Way of Life' these days? Most of the world, including Russia and China, has long since adopted and enthusiastically engaged in Global Capitalism. What persuades you that you have to fear 'Communism' in your country or ours?
Your assumption that I "fear communism" needs some context. I'm not taking some kind of McCarthyist position. The sort of Cold War I'm referring to has to do with the CCP's growing military presence in the South China Sea, and its agenda, which according to the sources previously posted, is to destabilize the West. In that context, engaging in global capitalism is part of their strategy, and their "enthusiasm" includes state sponsored industrial espionage that has seriously damaged domestic companies. Review some of the links below. You'll get the picture.

Maybe Trump Actually Did Something Right ...

Trump’s Efforts to Fight Sex Trafficking Made ‘Incredible Impact’: SHAREtogether Founder​

"Jaco Booyens, the founder of SHAREtogether, said former President Donald Trump’s efforts to create an office dedicated to fighting sex trafficking made an “incredible impact” over the last four years ..."​

Trump Lawyers to Use Videos of Democrats Inciting Violence During Impeachment Defense​

"The Trump defense team argued in the brief that the Constitution “requires that a person actually hold office to be impeached” and that Trump was exercising his First Amendment right of free speech to question the results of the November election.​
The impeachment against Trump goes against the Constitution because Trump doesn’t hold any office after he left the White House on Jan. 20, the lawyers argued.​
Castor revealed that the defense team will use some video clips of top Democrats encouraging violence during the impeachment trial which is scheduled to start on Monday ... "​
DISCLAIMER: As much as there is a certain contingent that just wants to see Trump lynched, he gets a trial anyway, and this is one of the things they're saying. So please don't interpret this as my personal defense of Trump. I never liked the guy and still don't. I hope I don't have to put this disclaimer in every time I post.

Yes, the myth of moral equivalence, This is not about lynching Trump, but the Trump-backed mob at the January 6th attempted insurrection called for the death of the Speaker of the House and the Vice President.

And a fact check about fake claims such as those you quoted in Epoch Times about Democrats calling for violence:

My suggestion is that, every time you read something in one of those fringe sites, such as Epoch Times, you visit Politifact or another fact check site for a reality check.

And a fact check about fake claims such as those you quoted in Epoch Times about Democrats calling for violence:

My suggestion is that, every time you read something in one of those fringe sites, such as Epoch Times, you visit Politifact or another fact check site for a reality check.
Well you know what lawyers are like. They'll throw anything against the wall to see if it sticks, especially if they're desperate. So I'm not posting these as if I think what they layers are saying is factual. I posted it to show what is happening with case.

Back