• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Please Help Me Ditch Flash!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Because of the fact that Flash is not available to over 100 million users of the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, I've tried to eliminate Flash content on this site and the tech site.

But our science fiction portal, Attack of the Rockoids, was built by a long-gone Webmaster who adored Flash, and I don't have his original files.

So I'm looking for a volunteer to help me divest the Flash content from that site as well. It probably won't take a skilled person long to recreate the navigation bars with standard HTML coding.

Anyone able to help please send me a PM. Thanks. We'll give you lots of credit, and if you're a professional Web designer, a banner or text link to help you promote your business.

Just want to bring you up to date.

We're almost there with removing Flash from Attack of the Rockoids. I need to fix the Flash pictures throughout the site and the home page and it's video.

Thanks to those who can complete the job. :)

What do you need done.. if it doesn't take up too much time I can do it.. Perhaps we can convert that flash movie, but those intro pages are very 2005. It might be easier to just remove it.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Flash might make a comeback..
Flash Catalyst is even easier to use and action-script is not as buggy as it once was..
You can build apps in Flash, and compile them so that they are acceptable to iphone etc..
Only the future will tell us.

Hi Gene,

Adobe has recently released an experimental pre-beta program codenamed Wallaby. This converts Flash animation and Graphics to HTML5/CSS. You will need to take the source .FLA file and save in CS5 format then download the free Wallaby application (Windows/Mac compatible versions) and run the conversion. For your intro file it should be enough to complete the process. You can also run it for any other basic Flash animation. It will not convert action script so any programmatic scripting might cause it to error on build. So if it exists then you want to remove it before attempting conversion.

Here is the link: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/wallaby/?promoid=IJTLI

Thanks Ron!!!!!!!
Very exciting!!

It's defiantly still cooking!

At this time, Wallaby uses Webkit CSS3 tags and therefore is only compatible with Webkit based browsers. This means the Wallaby HTML5 output is not compatible with Firefox, IE9, or other non-Webkit based browsers.
The only supported Webkit browsers at this time are Chrome and Safari on OSX, Windows, and iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod). Because Wallaby uses Webkit specific animation primitives, animation will not work and has not been tested on other browsers.

Thanks Ron!!!!!!!
Very exciting!!
If the past is any indication, we should be 5 to 7 months from a true beta. Then another 4 or 5 to deployment. That timetable could be accelerated if the rumors that Apple is close to unveiling an HTML5/CSS authoring platform are true. That platform is said to be in near limited release beta already. So, soon we should have at least some real authoring technology that will not require Designers to become code warriors.

So, soon we should have at least some real authoring technology that will not require Designers to become code warriors.

I do feel schizophrenic at times, would much prefer to stay in the design realm, but I find the market doesn't allow for it.... for me as a freelancer, to allow me to just design.... we are certainly in a state of flux in the American job market. When I went back to school a few years ago to learn the code end, there were jobs everywhere for frontend designers who new a html and css.... now they want front end designers who can code in 5 different languages... and I gotta be honest, I really don't want to have to write actionscript or javascript or asp or php, (but I find I have to hak them). It's a weird time...

Back